There Needs to be SERIOUSLY Better Policing of the RP Servers

Timarick

((re-post from the Suggestion Box to a larger view, despite the fact I know what people are already going to say, but I will post this here anyways...)

Not that you guys righteously give much about the RP community, but this is getting obscenely out of hand...

Why make an RP server when nobody follows the RULES of an RP server? You know where people actually go to make characters, play out the story beyond standard PVE and PVP, and don't have to watch whenever they walk around people like "Sithborn" and "Spider-Man" and "Sirfapsalot" and "Hulk Hogan" and every other kind of stupid possible name you can list off known to mankind. I cannot tell you how long my ignore list is just with people with incredibly stupid names like the handful I have listed above. And not just on ONE toon, but ALL of them.

If players want to PVE, that's great, but if you want to do that, go to a regular PVE server. Even when you /ignore the people with the stupid names, they don't just magically turn invisible and there is the occasional chance you can still re-que with them, as rare as that is. There needs to be better moderators (that are devs) that police these stupid names and filter them out of the game because if you can do that by filtering out "Han Solo" and "Luke Skywalker" then you can do it for a guy that calls himself "Darth Buttf'ck McGoose."

Also, the regulation of RP is TERRIBLE. We are given ZERO RP events that aren't done by the game devs that further the story and only see the VERY occasional news report here on site. But how does that pertain to the roleplay community? That's up to the players to determine and wrangling people is such a pain to do that! I mean creating free RP instances within phases would be nice, GSH seems to be a great step towards this idea too, but really, the servers have gotten ZERO love to the point they are just another PVE or PVP server, that the tagline of them being "RP" or "RP-PVP" server seems obscenely redundant.

That is nothing to say of the lack of QL features like optional chat bubbles, hood toggle, sitting in chairs (not just a chair emote) or the laundry list of things that the community has asked for and only got breadcrumbs instead of a proper steak and potato dinner the same way the PVP and PVE crowd have gotten. I LOVE the PVE and enjoy the PVP, but the RP is the only reason I still play this game and I am not the only one in my own personal community who feels this way.

Is it too much to ask for better policing of these servers for this portion of the community? You clearly made these servers FOR the RPers and yet at every turn have given them next-to-NO attention and this is getting extremely out of hand. I mean if you don't want to give the RPers more toys to play with on par with that of the PVE and PVP crowds, fine, but it gets really dis-heartening when I am on an RP server (reserved for those who ROLEPLAY) and yet I still see a stupid little Sith calling himself "Spider-Man" and allowed to get away with it! And filling up my ignore list with thousands of players isn't going to change the fact I still have to see these players and more walk by whenever I decide to go on the Fleet to do something.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no additional rules for RP servers. So of course there won't be additional policing. People were complaining about that since before launch, but Bioware doesn't really seem to care.

Get used to it. Roleplayers aren't the target group here. They don't care about us and they never will. All you can really do is to ignore the guys with the silly names and move on.

While I'm not a roleplayer at all, I agree with most of what you just said. However, I wouldn't expect much in the way of changes, because it seems at this point Bioware just doesn't have the resources. You mention PvP/PvE players getting all the attention, but raiders are looking at running various versions of DF/DP for the better part of a year, Huttball Mk. II is the first new warzone since... I don't even know when, and even on Bastion, a server with one of the "healthier" ranked populations, arenas are pretty dead.

Perhaps a reporting system, with X number of reports meaning a name gets reviewed by a GM to see if it is rule-compliant, similar to how they handle R-rated names, could be applied? But even with that in place, every character forced into a rename is an alienated player, which is a tough sell to Bioware.

The best "solution" in my opinion is the one that works for most in-game problems, find some people that play the way you like to and stick with them. Sure it's not perfect, but I don't think anyone considers SWTOR "perfect" at this point.

While I'm not a roleplayer at all, I agree with most of what you just said. However, I wouldn't expect much in the way of changes, because it seems at this point Bioware just doesn't have the resources. You mention PvP/PvE players getting all the attention, but raiders are looking at running various versions of DF/DP for the better part of a year, Huttball Mk. II is the first new warzone since... I don't even know when, and even on Bastion, a server with one of the "healthier" ranked populations, arenas are pretty dead.

Perhaps a reporting system, with X number of reports meaning a name gets reviewed by a GM to see if it is rule-compliant, similar to how they handle R-rated names, could be applied? But even with that in place, every character forced into a rename is an alienated player, which is a tough sell to Bioware.

Because the 30-day-name expiry date for non-subbers, even though they only may play for a bit, forget it, then come back to it totally doesn't alienate players. No, Bioware has no problem alienating people based on their name. But really, if you're going to make an RP server, then keep an eye on who is running around in it, otherwise the whole server becomes arbitrary and no different from the regular servers.

Edited by Timarick

Why make an RP server when nobody follows the RULES of an RP server? You know where people actually go to make characters, play out the story beyond standard PVE and PVP, and don't have to watch whenever they walk around people like "Sithborn" and "Spider-Man" and "Sirfapsalot" and "Hulk Hogan" Also, the regulation of RP is TERRIBLE.

There are no specific rules for RP servers. This isn't LotRO.

Only difference is that on non-RP servers people openly lol@RPers, while on RP servers the RPers have a retort "So why are you on a RP server?"

You can also report names like Spider-man (trademark violation), Sirfapsalot (offensive/vulgar), "Hulk Hogan" (trademark violation), on any server.

Well, I don't think they're ever going to police the rp servers, but at the very least, I don't see why they don't install a naming convention. It's such a minimal thing, that would help greatly.

Honestly, if they're not going to do at least that, then why designate 'rp' servers at all. They should understand that rp players spend money on subs and cash shop, and are entitled to be treated with some courtesy.

If you see a name that offends you, I wouldn't hesitate in reporting it. Until you can persuade them to change their policies, it's your best solution. :/

Well, I don't think they're ever going to police the rp servers, but at the very least, I don't see why they don't install a naming convention. It's such a minimal thing, that would help greatly.

Trust me, it wouldn't. WoW has a naming policy for their RP servers and all that does is cause great anger amongst the RP community because, surprise, non-RPers are paying subscribers too, so Blizzard rather wouldn't alienate them. Meaning that the RP policies don't get enforced there either.

Edited by Wylf

Because the 30-day-name expiry date for non-subbers, even though they only may play for a bit, forget it, then come back to it totally doesn't alienate players. No, Bioware has no problem alienating people based on their name. But really, if you're going to make an RP server, then keep an eye on who is running around in it, otherwise the whole server becomes arbitrary and no different from the regular servers.

The point of an RP server is my last line, it groups people who are interested in RP onto the same server. There also may be some people *not* interested in RP. Don't play with those people!

It's like if I complained about people who are awful at pvp rolling on a pvp server. Sure Bioware could implement a system to gearcheck players, or ban people who are reported for playing poorly, or not allow PvE gear in warzones. But since they're not going to do that, I just find people who know their **** and play with them. Problem solved.

Don't try to force people to play the way you want, play with people who already do.

OP /signed

Me personally other than putting them on ignore I'm a dick for reporting names especially if well known ones for going against the naming policy, my favourite ones are seeing people with "Lord" at the start of their name i.e. "Lordsmellybum"

I also hate it when said silly named players troll and spam in the Say chat aswell

Edited by dacentabaal

The point of an RP server is my last line, it groups people who are interested in RP onto the same server. There also may be some people *not* interested in RP. Don't play with those people!

It's like if I complained about people who are awful at pvp rolling on a pvp server. Sure Bioware could implement a system to gearcheck players, or ban people who are reported for playing poorly, or not allow PvE gear in warzones. But since they're not going to do that, I just find people who know their **** and play with them. Problem solved.

Don't try to force people to play the way you want, play with people who already do.

Bolded the important part to me. Only play with like-minded people.

This was a hot topic in closed beta and then even hotter when we all found out the so called RP servers were just normal server rules with a unenforced designation of RP.

As pointed out earlier in thread.

EA/Bioware didnt give a bleep about RPers when the game was new and they had many many many more RPers sub'd.

Dont expect them to give a bleep now

Truth is the RP servers chats should have been monitored and at the minimum there should have been a naming policy in place.

I like to tell a story about how bad its gotten online by the d0oD crowd abusing RPers with in early retail I was on DK as my Agent and I simply said over general

"Remember all, we at Imperial Intelligence are always watching"

And I got lambasted with insults and even told to die for putting Role Play on general chat

That happened ON a so called RP Server

Always found it strange that a company (Bioware) that made its bones off the backs of RPers had such disdain and disregard for its RP community in this game.

But yeah, sadly even though this game holds great RP potential in the setting

I wouldn't hold my breath on EA ever doing anything to improve the potential for the player base.

I fully agree with the poster, iam not an RP person but i like to play in an emersive community but sadly day after day i see trolls and A## holes roling characters and just ruining the feeling you would think you get from an RP server...

As some stated above, Biowares future and this games future isnt promising really so i dont think something will happen.

Edited by saremun

I do not mean to offend you, OP, but seriously, why would someone else's name bother you? Sure if it's like mr. Fu*k or etc. but names such as Ikillandsmash, okay, someone didn't bother to think about his name, but... So what? Does that person really bother you with just existing? Trolls are of course different case but nice, helpful person called Ironman, is it really so bad you have to complain in forums? Why don't you just carry on and do your RP with people with names you accept?:(:mad::o:rolleyes:

I do not mean to offend you, OP, but seriously, why would someone else's name bother you? Sure if it's like mr. Fu*k or etc. but names such as Ikillandsmash, okay, someone didn't bother to think about his name, but... So what? Does that person really bother you with just existing? Trolls are of course different case but nice, helpful person called Ironman, is it really so bad you have to complain in forums? Why don't you just carry on and do your RP with people with names you accept?:(:mad::o:rolleyes:

Then you know nothing about Rp lol, the names are very important in an RP server, BW doesnt really care about that but in other games they pay a great intention to it...

Then you know nothing about Rp lol, the names are very important in an RP server, BW doesnt really care about that but in other games they pay a great intention to it...

Sure names are important for RPrs, and I would understand if these Lolsmashe, Hulkkills etc. would try to roleplay with you, but if they just walk on you in cantina why don't you just think "oh well" and carry on?

Actually, the names aren't that important. Or, well, at least not in the way you think. I personally quite like the existance of names that really don't fit so well into the world - because that name gives me a rather clear indication if that other person is into roleplay or not. Refrigeratorbeam the Marauder probably won't be someone that I should engage in roleplay.

Forcing them to change their name won't turn them into roleplayers. You'll still be stuck with them.

I do not mean to offend you, OP, but seriously, why would someone else's name bother you?

It is highly annoying. It totally destroys the immersion if you see all these stupid names. It has been quite good on The Progenitor for a long time in my opinion, but nowadays the names I have to see e. g on the fleet are ridiculous to shameful. And it's not only that. A player who names his char like that also plays the same way he names his char: stupid, ridiculous, shameful. If you get such a char in your FP or PvP group, you know upfront that you lose.

I don't understand why these players chose a RP server in the first place. They don't do RP. They don't care. They are casuals at best. I would like a RP server policy, too. At least have a short intelligence test during character creation. Threshold may be IQ 60. It might rule out 70% of the newly created chars. ;)

It is highly annoying. It totally destroys the immersion if you see all these stupid names.

Shouldn't it ruin the immersion in the first place that you can see name above heads in the first place, no matter what the actuall name there is? You see, your argument is stupid!

Sure names are important for RPrs, and I would understand if these Lolsmashe, Hulkkills etc. would try to roleplay with you, but if they just walk on you in cantina why don't you just think "oh well" and carry on?

I joined an RP guild once, a great guild tbh but they had very important rule, "no stupid none lore names" so they wont RP or even recruit anyone with such name because they find it like trolling the RP community, sure iam all to freedom of choice but why would someone pick such name in the first place if he/she is an rper?

It is highly annoying. It totally destroys the immersion if you see all these stupid names. It has been quite good on The Progenitor for a long time in my opinion, but nowadays the names I have to see e. g on the fleet are ridiculous to shameful. And it's not only that. A player who names his char like that also plays the same way he names his char: stupid, ridiculous, shameful. If you get such a char in your FP or PvP group, you know upfront that you lose.

I don't understand why these players chose a RP server in the first place. They don't do RP. They don't care. They are casuals at best. I would like a RP server policy, too. At least have a short intelligence test during character creation. Threshold may be IQ 60. It might rule out 70% of the newly created chars. ;)

I got a tank called Davekills to fp and he was a god for a tank. Name generally doesn't affect to playing skills:)

RP server is not about rules, it is a tag to indicate where yoou have a higher chance to find like-minded people with a playstyle close to yours.

^ This is why some servers are designated as RP. In my opinion BW has been upfront on what that designation means.

I understand but there is nothin that can be done.

I am sure even with strict enforcement someone will find a way to bypass the rules.

The only names that really bother me are the racist ones

The thing about naming that is funny is that it's hard to dictate what is normal, didn't Gweneth Paltrow name her kid Apple?

In lore we have Darth Maul and his brother...Savage

Heck Darth Vader is just Dutch or dark father .

Some times names break immersion in RL and in actual lore anyway

Edited by kirorx