The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

Black Talon and Esseles never stop amusing me. There is always something, and this something is always something different.

On my last run through Esseles, only one person and me said "hi" at the beginning, the other two were not communicating at all. One of them, though, turned out to be a ninja needing even on green stuff that was not his main stat. I explained why it was wrong and said that I hoped that it would not repeat. There was no response from any of the people in the group. Of course the ninja (Sentinel) needed on Trooper gloves in the next loot. I was lucky to win the roll and said that if it happenes again, I will try to kick him. Again, only silence in chat.

Next loot, the ninja only greeds. Hurray! I am having a feeling he undestood the problem, although he did not say anything. Then, the other silent person in the group (guardian) starts needing on everything. He needed even on the Consular's robe. Even if people have no idea what their main statistics are, it says "Consular!!!" all over it. I facepalmed and did not say anything. We finished, the guardian kept on needing on everything and everyone was quiet.

After finishing, I ran through Esseles solo to finally get the loot I wanted. At level 12-13 on an undergeared Commando, it turned out to be ok.

Still, this was much better than my last Black Talon. When the group made it to the ship's commander, the mercenary wrote: "Kill that *****!!"

It annoyed me, so I wrote: "Kid"

Mercenary: "?"

Third member of the group: "Kid"

Mercenary: "I just love being evil. You are a kid."

And he carried on for another two minutes. I kept quiet, although I was fairly annoyed.

So, we make it to the first loot, and the mercenary ninjas the operative's coat. Seriously, in Esseles and Black Talon, everything is named after the class it is supposed to go to.

me: "So we have a ninja looter..."

Mercenary: "??? How is that ninja looting?"

me: "Your main stat is aim, this is for agents."

Mercenary: "OMG." "How old are you?" "Probably 11 lol" "You are a noob and probably just came from WoW lol"

me: "The level of stupidity is just too high here."

Then I left and put him on ignore. After that, again, I ran the Black Talon solo at level 13. I died once on the first boss (light side), but otherwise it was ok.

I got to have my "Weird people in group finder" experience last night: so exciting! I (scoundrel healer) joined a HM Cademimu with a Jedi Guardian (tank), Jedi Guardian (DPS), and Commando (DPS) and got rolling. Now I am not an HM veteran having only do a handful of them in recent weeks, but I had some red flags early on that this was going to be a strange group.

My first clue was that I couldn't tell who the tank was by just healing. Everyone was getting damaged equally with probably the plurality of the healing going towards myself. But, we managed to clear the first several packs of trash without any deaths and I was hopeful that we would make it through relatively unscathed.

My second red flag was that no one was pushing things off the edges of the map to speed up kills. To make matters worse the tank (I had figured out who was the supposed tank at this point) kept pulling packs of mobs that we had no need to fight. I don't really care about speed clears so I was fine with it, but it still struck me as odd. And then we walked right past the security gate (the one that is unlocked with scavenging)... I asked why we were avoiding the shortcut and the tank asked "What shortcut?" Hmm, he had 38k+ hp, I would have figured he had been through Cademimu, but no worries. I opened it up and asked him LoS pull the group inside the gate. The DPS and I positioned ourselves for it and... no LoS pull. He leaps right in and starts fighting in the midst of the huge pack. He also never tries to gather aggro on any mob other than his target so seconds later they all come for me. I popped all my DCDs and stealthed trying to lose aggro but since no one else was hitting them and I had everyone in the group HoTed it wasn't long before they started wailing on me again. I died. Hard. And then so did every one else. The commando piped up and said to the tank, "Dude, he asked for an LoS pull." The tank replied, "LoS?"

At this point I was a little curious and inspected the tank's gear: full 180's. I was a little puzzled. He had full 180's and no clue how to tank, what LoS meant, or many of the other basic mechanics? Also, why the hell was he so spikey with end game gear in an HM FP? Then the DPS guardian chimed in, "Dude, tank. All of your gear is broken." I re-inspected and sure enough, every. single. piece of gear had 0 durability remaining on it. He then announced to us that he had no money to repair said gear. We proceeded to vote kick him and requeue looking for a new tank.

I was super confused though. My only rationalization is that he was playing an account that wasn't his (brother's account or something) and didn't know what he was doing. I am just not sure how you could be 55 in full 180's and be THAT clueless.

Two stories for you all.

First one was a few weeks ago. I was on my Sage healer and joined HM Hammer Station. After killing a few early mobs , i asked kindly why one of the DPS was not healing between fights. He kind of ignored me. So I just carried on. Later on at the first huge droid boss , I lost a bit of concentration as someone distracted me on skype and the tank died. I resurrected him , but it was then too late to cleanse the DPS that ignored me earlier. So it was a wipe. Then the same DPS , initiated to vote kick myself. Which surprisingly got voted yes by the tank. i know so as the other dps was on skype with me. I wasn't to chuffed. Anyway my friend DPS left and I watched now and again if they had finished the FP. Well lets just say they where in that FP for at least 40 more mins. Unfortunately I have actually ran many PUG's with the tank that voted yes and I let him know , he gave some lame excuse about being in a rush as he had a guild run to go to. A rush then why the hell vote kick a healer ? The reson for kicking was really odd it went something along the lines of "better they learn now than later" type of thing. So I guess they thought I was new or something for asking them to heal in between mobs , lol. I am not new you silly person. Been here a long long time.

Second story is from a week ago to this very day. I was on my Sniper and got a 55 KDY. A very easy FP at 55. It all went very smoothly. There was one problem and that was I was in need of a bio break. So I said I would be quick and went right at the start of the starship making part of one of the levels. I even said I would stand to the side in case it went boom. So 2 mins later I was back and typed "Sorry back". Someone commented a few words ending in calling me lazy. I stood like a rabbit in the headlights briefly and considered typing " Boot me if you think that way" but decided not to. It did linger in my mind though. Luckily it was the boss fight next , we killed the boss in about 6 mins. Then I let everyone know " So MMO's have changed , normally when a lady comes back from an afk people say wb.I will thank the rest of the party but not that one guy" , someone ( the same person ) said ' I do normally welcome back people but not lazy ones" and an other person said "Don't be a d**k " to me. I was really surprised. I said " So I get called a d**K but the guy who called me lazy doesn't ? , well I will thank him too" at that point or during those last words 2 had left and the d**k calling guy did also. Really weird , if they thought me to be lazy for going to the restroom , why didn't they make me do the starship datapad puzzle when I came back ?

Anyway , i preceded to befriend the DPS and Tank from the first story and the two name callers from the second story. On all 8 of my faction characters , as I always do. They will be surprised to see one of my alts in an FP or OP I can assure you.

Cheers ,

BadOrb.

Edited by BadOrb

You'll have to explain me.. cuz shuttle IS the standard strategy I always used

Long story short. The Wookiee boss has a flame thrower. You face the boss towards the cluster of adds and he BBQs them. If done right, the adds will die very quickly and they won't pose a major threat to your healer.

Unfortunately most people tend to run away in weird directions when a group of adds are running toward them. Which makes pointing the flamer thrower at the adds rather difficult.

The stand on the vehicle strat simply prevents the adds from attacking the healer or dps. With out removing them entirely from the fight.

Long story short. The Wookiee boss has a flame thrower. You face the boss towards the cluster of adds and he BBQs them. If done right, the adds will die very quickly and they won't pose a major threat to your healer.

Unfortunately most people tend to run away in weird directions when a group of adds are running toward them. Which makes pointing the flamer thrower at the adds rather difficult.

The stand on the vehicle strat simply prevents the adds from attacking the healer or dps. With out removing them entirely from the fight.

The adds will evade a few seconds after the next wave spawns.

If they attack the tank they will get burned anyway.

The adds will evade a few seconds after the next wave spawns.

If they attack the tank they will get burned anyway.

The problem is, those adds will tunnelvision on whoever's generating aggro on them as they spawn. Which, usually is the healer, given that the heals are mass-mob threat generation, even at half. Which means if the healer is paying attention, a good kite through the flames should toast them. Should.

Although, if you've a sniper/slinger in your group, they're also likely to yank the aggro and get themselves mobbed.

The problem is, those adds will tunnelvision on whoever's generating aggro on them as they spawn. Which, usually is the healer, given that the heals are mass-mob threat generation, even at half. Which means if the healer is paying attention, a good kite through the flames should toast them. Should.

Although, if you've a sniper/slinger in your group, they're also likely to yank the aggro and get themselves mobbed.

Yeah, now when the healer and everything else that's generating heal aggro stand on top of the shuttle the adds can't reach them and will evade after the next wave.

Ran Assault on Korriban last night on my sniper, was grouped with an assassin and marauder; the 4th person had left the group before the flashpoint started. We queued for a replacement and started fighting using Treek for heals until another sniper joined us. He was advised in chat to go around the adds we had skipped, but the next thing he comes running down to us with a huge pack of adds in pursuit.

He dies just as he reaches us and we clean up the mess. Then I notice that he has less than 15k health and his gear includes lots of level 47 greens, a few level 50 blues and that was it. I'm pretty sure that some of my companions have more health than that at 55, wearing the gear they had on when I got them! I'm guessing he leveled to 55 by doing KDY only, as he would never have survived any other content in that gear without bolster.

We down the first boss after a wipe, with an extra death for the undergeared sniper; it was definitely not a smooth run and the melee dps were starting to get cranky. We moved on and I noticed the sniper appeared to be using ballistic shield on every cooldown, even if we were fighting weak mobs and nobody was getting hurt. We get to the second boss and of course it goes badly. The sniper kept standing in stupid, and using the kolto stations right after someone else had used one and we weren't in need of heals. Of course, he soon dies, then comes running back to the group, bringing a group of champions with him.

Of course we are overwhelmed and wipe, and the 2 melee dps leave the group. Now, I would have done the same but I had waited in queue for quite some time to get a group, and I am determined to finish and get my recovered relic on this toon. I asked a healer friend to queue and he joins us, along with a melee dps. Things go much smoother, other than numerous deaths for the sniper (I think my friend gave up on healing him), but when he was alive at least we were protected from the weak mobs by his ballistic shield.

I was strongly suspecting that we were being trolled, surely this guy couldn't be for real. But I checked his achievements and he had next to none. At the end of the flashpoint he seemed very pleased, telling us he had had heaps of fun!

problem with shuttle strat is that unless the tank is good and knows how to position themselves? if you stand at the part where adds cannot reach you? you are out of line of sight of melee, including the tank. and if you move down a bit to be able to heal tank/melee? adds can reach you and make a short work of you, unless you run back up to the top of the roof... which puts you out of line of sight of the tank.

which is why I personally hate that strat.

problem with shuttle strat is that unless the tank is good and knows how to position themselves? if you stand at the part where adds cannot reach you? you are out of line of sight of melee, including the tank. and if you move down a bit to be able to heal tank/melee? adds can reach you and make a short work of you, unless you run back up to the top of the roof... which puts you out of line of sight of the tank.

which is why I personally hate that strat.

Besides as tank it is much easier to tell the dps not to aoe and just burn the boss. As tank you just grab the adds and keep them in the fire. One AoE is usually plenty to grab them.

Never had problems doing this and, when tanking, I never use the shuttle strat.

You'll have to explain me.. cuz shuttle IS the standard strategy I always used
Everyone balls up and hugs the Wookie boss. Adds spawn and, most importantly, stay in melee range of said boss. Derps are ignoring the adds and focusing on boss. Tank picks up adds, healer throws an aoe heal, boss dies and explodes. Resulting explosion kills the adds. This does not happen if the adds are running around chasing the healer or trying to climb the shuttle which results in time being wasted needlessly.

Im really sorry, but in this case you are wrong.

Every man playing as a tank in TOR have some tactics he prefers.

If you refuse - that doesn't mean that you know more that he. It means you are an ***. Sad but true. :rolleyes:

Personal preferences aside, there are tactics and there are better tactics. Edited by slafko

Personal preferences aside, there are tactics and there are better tactics.

Hmm... I don't know what to choose...

First method, wich can be perfomed with damage from adds with small chance of wipe, becouse healer can't keep tank alive wile he teared apart by them...

Or second, when tank take damage only from boss...

What to choose... WHAT TO CHOOSE!!!???

Hmm... I don't know what to choose...

First method, wich can be perfomed with damage from adds with small chance of wipe, becouse healer can't keep tank alive wile he teared apart by them...

Or second, when tank take damage only from boss...

What to choose... WHAT TO CHOOSE!!!???

If the healer cant keep the tank alive during this encounter then the team must've died a few times already during previous trashpulls.

A decently geared tank for that fp with basic knowledge of tanking + equally geared healer with basic healing knowledge must be able to survive this with 2 decently geared dps bashing the boss.

Decently geared = gear requirement for the fp (148?? I forgot).

I'm also surprised to hear about people disliking the shuttle strategy. I've personally never had problems with it, as tank, dps, or heals. I've always seen heals/ranged on top, tank/melee dps on ground.

I've even been told once as a melee dps to get on top. I was a bit confused, but I jumped up anyway. The tank los pulled to the shuttle nose, and I was still able to hit the boss.

The only time I've seen it not work is when the tank doesn't pull the boss to the shuttle, but instead fights at his spawn. I could still heal from the shuttle nose, but the adds were able to get me. But this was only because the tank didn't los pull the boss first. At that point, obviously, it becomes the normal fight. But if it works out (which it should, because it's easy to do - just taunt/hide), adds should be crowded around the shuttle looking at the healer like a big juicy steak. There's no difficulty, no time wasted, no confusion. And I'm sure you can even still aim the flamethrower at them, since they're right next to you.

On a related note, I once saw a tank choose the far side shuttle. Like, not the one directly in front of the elevator in plain view with a sign that says "i'm closer!", but the shuttle on the OTHER side of the big ship. I guess it's closer to the next area? :confused:

Decently geared = gear requirement for the fp (148?? I forgot).

That depends...

My main has mix of 156s and three Black Market pieces, level 54 implants and... ok, relics are level 50 (but there's no way I can get better ones). That's not even close to decent for tank on The Progenitor.

Edited by Halinalle

I'm also surprised to hear about people disliking the shuttle strategy. I've personally never had problems with it, as tank, dps, or heals. I've always seen heals/ranged on top, tank/melee dps on ground.

I've even been told once as a melee dps to get on top. I was a bit confused, but I jumped up anyway. The tank los pulled to the shuttle nose, and I was still able to hit the boss.

The only time I've seen it not work is when the tank doesn't pull the boss to the shuttle, but instead fights at his spawn. I could still heal from the shuttle nose, but the adds were able to get me. But this was only because the tank didn't los pull the boss first. At that point, obviously, it becomes the normal fight. But if it works out (which it should, because it's easy to do - just taunt/hide), adds should be crowded around the shuttle looking at the healer like a big juicy steak. There's no difficulty, no time wasted, no confusion. And I'm sure you can even still aim the flamethrower at them, since they're right next to you.

On a related note, I once saw a tank choose the far side shuttle. Like, not the one directly in front of the elevator in plain view with a sign that says "i'm closer!", but the shuttle on the OTHER side of the big ship. I guess it's closer to the next area? :confused:

I came back around when 2.6 came out after not playing for about 6 so months. Before that, I don't remember anyone ever using this shuttle strat (I certainly never did as a tank). First run back, the tank is telling everyone to jump on the shuttle. I'm lost but I do it anyway. Even as everyone is standing on the shuttle, healer is still getting hit by the adds through the ship and tank just ignores the adds. Healer dies, I die (trying to keep adds off the healer) and we barely avoid a wipe only because we managed to down the boss fast enough. I've seen strat work a grand total of one time and that was because we had a vanguard tank and everyone else was ranged. All other times, it just causes more problems than it needs to.

I personally hate it, too many tanks use it as a crutch and they get lazy, thinking that standing on the shuttle immediately solves all the add problems, not realizing that you still can still get hit through the shuttle if you don't los them properly. When I tank, I just do it the old fashioned way, hold aggro on the adds and drag them through the fire. Kills them just as fast, dps is free to focus on boss and healer is completely safe without worrying adds running around them. I've had several groups yell at me why I wasn't using the shuttle and I told them straight up that it wasn't necessary. Some groups get so reliant on exploits and shortcuts that they forget how to just play the game.

I came back around when 2.6 came out after not playing for about 6 so months. Before that, I don't remember anyone ever using this shuttle strat (I certainly never did as a tank). First run back, the tank is telling everyone to jump on the shuttle. I'm lost but I do it anyway. Even as everyone is standing on the shuttle, healer is still getting hit by the adds through the ship and tank just ignores the adds. Healer dies, I die (trying to keep adds off the healer) and we barely avoid a wipe only because we managed to down the boss fast enough. I've seen strat work a grand total of one time and that was because we had a vanguard tank and everyone else was ranged. All other times, it just causes more problems than it needs to.

I personally hate it, too many tanks use it as a crutch and they get lazy, thinking that standing on the shuttle immediately solves all the add problems, not realizing that you still can still get hit through the shuttle if you don't los them properly. When I tank, I just do it the old fashioned way, hold aggro on the adds and drag them through the fire. Kills them just as fast, dps is free to focus on boss and healer is completely safe without worrying adds running around them. I've had several groups yell at me why I wasn't using the shuttle and I told them straight up that it wasn't necessary. Some groups get so reliant on exploits and shortcuts that they forget how to just play the game.

"Forget how to play the game?"

Wow... In that case BW should remove stealth from all caracters. After all they MUST PLAY THE GAME!!! NO STEALTH!!! NO SKIP!!! ONLY MOOOOBS!!!! PLAY DAT GAME, NERDS!!! :D

Seriously, you, guys sound exectly like that.

For those who think that skip or avoid trash is broken game, i repeat - thats called TACTICAL ADVANTAGE.

If you don't want to use your brains - don't tell others to stop using it. :rolleyes:

Since we're talking about Cade...

I was fairly new at time. I was on my fourth character, the second I'd actually started devoting time to, and my first healer (mando). Got a pop for Cade. On the trash, I kept getting attacked and killed. After a while, the tank complains that I'm an awful healer. I knew the game just well enough to know he was supposed to keep aggro on the mobs (although I'm now also aware that the DPS should've been helping with that, too), and likely told him as much.

I don't remember exactly what happened, what conversations were had, but the tank eventually gets fed up and leaves. We wait for a replacement and get one - and it's the same guy. He immediately drops group and leaves again, and the DPS and I share a laugh.

We get a new tank while we wait in front of the the Wookiee boss. The fight goes smoothly, and practically the instant the boss is down, the tank goes, "Nice heals."

The rest of the run went great :)

It only works if both dps are ranged. You have to stand higher up on that shuttle too. If someone gets hit by the adds then you're not standing in right spot.

That depends...

My main has mix of 156s and three Black Market pieces, level 54 implants and... ok, relics are level 50 (but there's no way I can get better ones). That's not even close to decent for tank on The Progenitor.

Arkanian relics go for a bunch of Basic comms, right? They are level 55. I wouldn't worry about that gear, it's perfectly fine.

If all 4 are tank spec then it will take a long time. Haven't had any of those groups. 2 tanks, 1 dps, 1 heals is probably the "worst" group I've been in. Funniest by far was my dps Sorc + 3 heal spec'd Operatives.

Was one of the operatives names blizz'ard? :p

Was one of the operatives names blizz'ard? :p

Can't remember names. All of them were low level Ops (16-19) and they were all new to KDY so I had to explain everything. Smooth run, I started to think they lied about it though. Never trust Imperial Intelligence, I guess. :p

That depends...

There is a difference between what people call decent and what is actually decent.

Before 180 gear was introduced the 168 was bought with ultimates and the 162 with elite comms. The perception of decent back then was lower than it is now.

When I started tanking those fps I was in a mix of 150s and 156s with awefull relics. I knew tanking basics and we used the original tactic (stack behind boss, no AoE so tank can grab adds).

We wiped every now and then, but we cleared the fp everytime with more money gained than spend on repairs.

Note: we = my guildies en myself :)

Another note: am I the only one who thinks adding the 180 to ultimate comms was a huge mistake by bioware? Or is it just a 'change is scary' thing?