Tor-fashion.com, a community driven website to catalog high res orange armor looks

Iwipe

Hey everyone, this is a project I have being working on and off for about a month now. I have hinted at its existence before and many people have asked me about it but I kept pushing its release date back and back due to getting sidetracked. I finally decided May 15 would be a good date to finally release it to the public. It is not where near completion and if I worked on it alone it would probably still not complete a year from now. Quite a a few of us will be playing the other game today but for those who are not, I thought this would be a nice treat :)

:jawa_wink:Why Tor-fashion.com?

Tor-fashion.com is a project idea I shared with Zoopercat from AskMrRobot.com a while back. With every patch in SWTOR, we are seeing an increasing in the popularity of orange customizable gear. The upcoming patch 1.3 I think will be huge for orange gear proliferation due to the addition of augment tables and social gear that scale to your armor type. I have dubbed patch 1.3 the start of something I called the Orange Revolution (a bit dramatic I know). However, one thing that is missing from SWTOR is a place where you can view high resolution screenshots of people wearing orange armor sets. Sure there is the preview window but it is such low res that it doesn't do the armor models justice. There is also Torhead where sometimes if you are lucky you can find some screenshots people submitted for particular pieces of a set etc. Anyways, the point I am getting at is that the options we have right now are insufficient. Everyday you see people asking what is that gorgeous looking armor set, how do you get armor set, how does this set look etc. Bioware artists have created literally thousands of different armor models but sadly most us only get to see maybe 10% of that during our in-game lifetime.

:jawa_wink:What is Tor-fashion.com?

Tor-fashion.com is a project I started with AMR to attempt to fill the void. It focuses on full orange armor sets with good quality screenshots of actual people wearing them. It is a very manual process as I need to first get my hands on the set (GTN, bugging crafters on my server, grinding social points, sending tells to random players on the fleet, etc) and then get people to wear/model them for me so I can get good quality screenshots.

The end goal of this project is to

1) Have a list of all the moddable (orange or purple) armor sets in the game with high quality in-game screenshots (front, back, front closeup showing the detailed textures of upper torso and helmet)

2) Every set should have an Imperial version and a Republic version at least (unless they are faction specific)

3) Every set should also have a female and male screenshots.

4) If I want to get really fancy, every set should also have models that are of different body types as armor look different with a character's width.

:jawa_wink:What is available at release?

:jawa_wink:How can you help?

I have made it really easy (I hope) to contribute. If you have an orange set that isn't listed or if you find a set with missing pictures etc, you can simply took a couple screenshots and submit it to the website. http://tor-fashion.com/submit-a-pic/

Your character name and server will be reflected on the page for that set to give you credit.

To maintain the quality of images and uniformity of the site, there are a couple image requirements like max in-game graphic settings, good lighting etc for the image submission. If your computer can't handle it or you don't know how to do it, I would be happy to create a character on your server and meet up to take some screenshots for you.

Anyways, I mentioned this before and I will do again for emphasis, this project is no where complete. If you visit it hoping to find images for every orange set in-game with Republic and Imperial, Female & Male, Size 1 and Size 4 equivalents, you will be disappointed. However, with the help from the SWTOR community, I am hoping that will be a reality one day.

It is my hopes that this project will get to a stage that it will be a great asset for 1.3 when you have alot more flexibility in your SWTOR fashion!

Some sets that I really like

Voss mystic - social 5 http://tor-fashion.com/2012/05/12/voss-mystic/

Hoth Hailstorm brotherhood - social 4 (very unique look) http://tor-fashion.com/2012/05/11/hailstorm-brotherhood/

Rakata force-mystic - I really like the Republic version: http://tor-fashion.com/2012/04/06/rakata-force-mystic/

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice idea.

Do you require full sets?

i.e. WarHero: Only the 5 mainpieces (helm, chest, gloves, greaves, boots) or everything (bracer, belt)?

Also: What about "mixed sets"?

i.e. TT-17A Elite Vanguard ? Head & Legs are craftable (prototype / artifact quality so no slots), the rest is either world drop / commendation reward but orange

Edited by Zocat

Nice idea.

Do you require full sets?

i.e. WarHero: Only the 5 mainpieces (helm, chest, gloves, greaves, boots) or everything (bracer, belt)?

Also: What about "mixed sets"?

i.e. TT-17A Elite Vanguard ? Head & Legs are craftable (prototype / artifact quality so no slots), the rest is either world drop / commendation reward but orange

The bracers/belt are not too important. If you have it that is awesome, if no then the 5 piece set would be just fine.

Mixed set also works, doesn't have to be crafted, as long it is moddable and part of the same set.

Edited by Iwipe

Not to be rude....but who the hell did your thumbnails?

Were they blind?

Site looks great when you click on a set but the general list of thumbnails is AWFUL. Show no head of the sets, no boots.....just a off center crop of what usually looks to be an outfit.

Edited by Al_Sparagus

Not to be rude....but who the hell did your thumbnails?

Were they blind?

Site looks great when you click on a set but the general list of thumbnails is AWFUL. Show no head of the sets, no boots.....just a off center crop of what usually looks to be an outfit.

Yes the thumbnails are a bit lacking. Actually the thumbnail generation is a bit automated with the wordpress featured image function. It was done this way to largely save time. However in the future that is something I will look into as well getting faction specific thumbnails.

Awesome :D I've been looking for something like this. It's just a shame all the 'Neutral' heavy armour sets have ugly empire side ones (for once :p) I really like the look of a lot of the trooper sets for my Bounty Hunter :p

Ah well I guess I'll start grinding Athiss for that set!

Some sets that I really like

Voss mystic - social 5 http://tor-fashion.com/2012/05/12/voss-mystic/

Hoth Hailstorm brotherhood - social 4 (very unique look) http://tor-fashion.com/2012/05/11/hailstorm-brotherhood/

Rakata force-mystic - I really like the Republic version: http://tor-fashion.com/2012/04/06/rakata-force-mystic/

First thanks for the great work!

Then some comments

• Voss mystic - social 5: the shoulder pads are a bit overdone and unbalance the gear. Rest is nice.
  • Hoth Hailstorm brotherhood: The textures are fair and it fits more an AoC like fantasy MMO than a SW one, especially the head piece and the chest one.
  • Rakata force-mystic :
    • The empire set is horrid from the skirt spikes on the back (try to sit with theses),to the shoulder flaps (no you can't fly) and the helmet that doesn't even fit the rest of the set as not tied to it.
    • Now the Republic set wouldn't be that bad if they removed the shoulder pads and the bracers that totally kills the finesse of the set.

The first few sparks of the revolution starts here! You can now start “shopping” for looks in preparation for patch 1.3!

As the French like to call it, Vive la Révolution!

We are far from the Révolution.

Speak about appearance tabs, gear dyes, wardrobes, shoulder pads and back slots then I'll agree ;)

Edited by Deewe

Dulfy, you simply rock. Thanks for all your contributions not only to this, but to the community in general with your awesome guides I am constantly linking to my guildies in Mumble for everything under the sun (your "Now I'm 50" progression chart always gets a lot of laughs, in addition to being a beautifully simple graphic representation of possible methods for obtaining post-50 gear - trying to explain the gear progression verbally to my guildies would be a nightmare!). So lots of kudos, we think you and your guides are awesome. And now I might not have to bug my reluctant synthweaver guildie to keep making me crap so I can see how it looks when there isn't any for sale on the other faction :p

OMG I LOVE YOU AND WANT TO HAVE YOUR VIRTUAL BABIES!

All kidding aside I was so talking about the need for a TOR fashion blog and you do it! I used to blog fashion for other virtual worlds and know how much the community appreciates things like this. You Rock!