Do You Keybind? What do you bind?

Freeborne

I'm tradintially a 1-10 kind of guy, with QWE and ASD reserved for movement and strafing, while using a mouse for turning.

But I've been thinking maybe using more keybinds. It's not that bad in PvE, but in PvE I'd really like to make popping some CDs with Paired abilities a bit smoother.

I use 1-5, then `QERT, F and X. With some practice, being able to move and have every key within a fingers reach is necessary for me, especially for pvp, since I tend to tweak out when fighting other players and easily lose my place if I have to stretch too far for a key.

Non class specific, used to do what you're doing with Shift/Ctrl/Alt mods. Starting ToR I switched to-

1-5

Shift+1-5

Q,E,R,F,V,C,X,Z

Shift+Q,E,R,F,V,C,X,Z

Everything makes more sense, and one could argue this isn't even that great to begin with. Don't use AD to turn, you have the mouse for that.

Edited by Ithorien

W- forward

S- back

A- strafe left

D- Strafe Right

1-6, q,e,r,t,y,h,g,n,b,v,z are all mapped to skills ( might have to leave off y and N depending on how long your fingers are.)

And if you get a multi button mouse (ex:Razer naga) or an alternate button keyboard (ex:Razer anansi) you get several more buttons to bind..

All in all every one of my skills are easily reachable.

I use the standard movement/turn keys (wasdqe).

Abilities/items are mapped to Normal/Shift/Ctrl: 1-5, f, and r.

I click to activate some skills that I rarely use. Figure it is probably easier for me to do it that way than have to find out what key I mapped it to and use that.

Currently I use the following:

1-5

Shift 1-5

Shift z x c v b (makes one row)

shift f : for "freedom" skill to get out of cc

shift g: ground mount

shift w: for concusive round (which makes sense to me because it goes forward)

shift s: drop aggro skill (i.e. backward, or drop aggro)

In WoW I would sometimes use alt 1-5 but I don't like it as much.

Also I have the forward and back buttons on the side of the mouse for the companion: forward to attack, back to passive.

Edited by clevernick

E - Move Forward

D - Move Backward

S - Turn Left

F - Turn Right

W - Strafe Left

R - Strafe Right

T - Toggle autorun

Q - Target Next Enemy

A - Target Target's Target

X - Crew Skills

J - Quickslot 1

K - Quickslot 2

L - Quickslot 3

; - Quickslot 4

U - Quickslot 5

I - Quickslot 6

O - Quickslot 7

P - Quickslot 8

N - Quickslot 9

M - Quickslot 10

, - Quickslot 11

. - Quickslot 12

H - Shift Quickbar Down

Y - Shift Quickbar Up

' - Toggle Map

[ - Abilities Window

] - Skill Tree Window

1 - Bottom Quickslot 1

2 - Bottom Quickslot 2

3 - Bottom Quickslot 3

4 - Bottom Quickslot 4

5 - Bottom Quickslot 5

6 - Bottom Quickslot 6

7 - Bottom Quickslot 7

8 - Bottom Quickslot 8

9 - Bottom Quickslot 9

0 - Bottom Quickslot 10

- - Bottom Quickslot 11

= - Bottom Quickslot 12

Functionally H and Y do the same thing because I have my right quickslot bar enabled and just have abilities that i don't need on there ie. Cells, Quick Travel, Emergency Fleet Pass, etc.

Aside from skills like Mortar Volley I almost never need to use my mouse for anything which is great for playing on a laptop.

I use the standard movement/turn keys (wasdqe).

Abilities/items are mapped to Normal/Shift/Ctrl: 1-5, f, and r.

I click to activate some skills that I rarely use. Figure it is probably easier for me to do it that way than have to find out what key I mapped it to and use that.

I like this.

I've used the following keybinds across all my characters:

F - Self-Heal (i.e. Reload for Trooper)

G - Break Stun/Immobilise

H - Speeder

Q - Toggle autorun

I also have E set to something class-specific and handy - the basic Heal for my Commando, Force Leap for my Jedi Knight, etc. For classes that have an interrupt power, it usually goes on E.

Edited by MarkDB

WASD for movement, using the mouse to turn.

1-4, QERFT for key abilities.

Alt+1-4 for AoE abilities.

F1-F4 for taunts, guard and medpacs.

Alt+QWE for defensive cooldowns. Alt+R and Alt+F for autorun and follow. Alt+T for target of target.

ZXCV` for other situational abilities (Harpoon and Cryo Grenade for instance).

How to keybind so you never have to move your left hand, ever:

1-5 is home base. Use all three modifier keys: Alt 1-5, ctrl 1-5, shift 1-5. Q and E as strafing keys are superfluous because you can hold down right mouse button and use A and D in order to strafe. So using Q and E as ability keys gives you another 6 slots, and again you don't have to move your left. Next up are ctrl-space and shift-space, I don't use alt-space because they're too close together and lead to missfires. I also use the ~ key (tilde, left of 1) for the basic no ammo/energy/whatever attack. Add on other keys as needed but between everything I've just listed that's 27 slots, which is just about enough. I also use R, and F, as well as V (actuated with the thumb) for escapes.

I absolutely hate having to move my left hand around the keyboard in combat, so I do everything I can to never do that. I stopped using number keys past 5 in probably 2007 and never looked back.

Bind ALL the things!

1 2 3 4 5 q e r t f b v x z m4 m5

And all their shift counter-parts.

If you aren't binding everything where they're easy to hit, you're playing inefficiently and possibly putting undue strain on your wrist reaching for far away buttons.

E- Forward (some people actually do away with this button altogether, they use both mouse clicks to move forward.)

S- Strafe left

F- Strafe right

D- generic 'free attack' (no backpedal, I find it's a waste of time and prime keyboard real estate, it's more efficient to strafe and turn your camera)

qwrty frequently used attacks

Shift + qw D rty = CCs, pulls/gap closers, etc.

123456 are also frequently used attacks and situational/proc abilities like HIB

zxcvb = CDs, X for cc break X-scape is how I remember it.

AGH = more prime real estate.

Everything useful for combat is keybound. Only acceptable things to click on are buffs or party frames, imo. I can jump back and forth between my scoundrel and vanguard without confusing their buttons. Their interrupts are in the exact same place.

Another thing to consider is ergonomics, things you constantly press should be done with your stronger fingers, ie middle and index. Your key bindings should make sense to you and it does take a week sometimes to get comfortable with a radically new setup.

For movement I use my mouse. Strafing and backpaddling with mouse buttons 3,4 and 5.

For keybindings I use:

1 through 0, - and =

QWERTY

ASDFG

ZXCV

F6 - F12

My rotation is bound (for all characters allways) to the range 1,2,3,4,5 QWERT and ASD.

My o shi buttons are bound to ZXCV.

Repost from an earlier thread. I use a Naga.

I'm not going to put up a fancy chart but the way I think about my abilities are two in one. You know how in FPS's you have a weapon with a main function then an alt function? That's how I think about my abilities. Maybe you will understand when I list my binds

2 Center Bars- Mainly used to track cooldowns, I have it set up Guild Wars 2 style (first half of bar combat, other half utilities). All CC/Interrupts/Secondary Crap is on the bottom bar

---------------------------------

My Character Portrait--------------Enemy Portrait

Slots 1-6 Action Abilities----------Slots 7-12 Utilities

(Gap Closer)

Q- Storm

(Alt)- Harpoon

(Single Target Melee)

2- Stockstrike

(Alt)- Riot Strike (Interrupt)

(Grenades)

3- Sticky Grenade

(Alt) Cryo Grenade (CC)

(Conditional Abilities)

4- High Impact Bolt

(Alt) Blitz (Melee Version, useless...)

<Mapped on Naga>

(Melee Range)

0- Energy Blast

(Alt) Smoke Grenade (Melee Evasion)

(Melee Multi Target)

-- Pulse Cannon

(Alt) Neural Surge (CC)

Slot 7-12 Utilities

7- Purposely left blank, when my eyes look at the bar I automatically know utilities follow

R- Mortar Fire (easy for me to spot, middle of the bar with a empty slot above it)

(Threat Modifiers)

E- Neural Jolt

(Alt) Guard

(Threat Mod+Self Buff)

Shift E- Sonic Round

Shift +- Tech Override

(Resource Altering Abilities)

+- Recharge Cells

(Alt)- Reserve Powercell

(Oh $h*1! Abilities)

MB5- Reactive Shield

(Alt) Tenacity

(Oh $h*1! Heals)

MB4- Potion

(Alt) Adrenaline Rush

Left Bar- Combat Abilities that don't have cooldowns

(Continued from Melee Range Series)

Shift 0- Ion Pulse

(Continued from Multi Target Series)

Shift --Explosive Surge

9- Explosive Round

(Single Target Ranged)

1- Hammer Shot

(Alt) Full Auto- The only cooldown ability, I rarely use it but it's easy to spot on the bar)

Right Bar-- Out of Combat junk with the exception of No Retreat at the very bottom

Organized, simple, easy to follow.

Edited by JasonSavo

I have only just begun to learn how to properly keybind so basic stuff from a newbie :D

W/S = Forward/backward

A and D = Strafing

`12345QERTFG for quickslots

Hopefully when I get more comfortable, I would be able to develop my own optimal keybind layout (that will not give me carpal tunnel :D)

I purchased a Razer Naga about 3 months ago for both WoW and TOR, and while it took a while to get used to, I'm now in the "Don't think I could go back" club (this is a 17 button mouse with 1-12 keybinds accessible by thumb).

On the Naga, 10-12 aren't easily reachable so I keybind 1-9 and Shift+1-9, giving me 18 abilities accessible using only the mouse and shift. I move with WASD, use Q for the CC break, E for the AoE knockback/stun, and RFT for various cooldowns. Shift+E,R,F,D, etc for stuff like trinkets, medpacks, adrenals, etc.

Once you get used the Naga (or similar MMO mouse), it saves a lot of time and angst from poking around the keyboard and enables more mobility for PvP circle-kiting purposes.

Just my 2 cents!

Strafe = S, F

Move Forward = E

Break Free = D (I have no move backward keybound, I'll strafe if needed)

F5 - F8 Hotkeys are bound to my mouse.

You can see the rest of my keybinds in the SS. Only SS I have was for a progression thread.

I keep "Similar" abilities for my alts in the same spots.

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k498/marquis7744/XRR-3NM.jpg

W,A,D for Forward, Strafe Left, and Strafe Right.

Then I have the following for keybinds:

1-6, Q, E, R, S, F, G, V plus shift modifiers. Buffs and Sprint and Cells I just click since those are always done in the Respawn Room.

Edit: I also switched my 1 and 2 keys on the Hotbar, because I like spamming the 2 Key for Hammer Shot, but also like the option of using Right-Click too, so my top-middle actionbar looks like:

2, 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, S6