New Shadow here, I need advice.

Jimmy_Sixx

So I've been zipping around these forums for about an hour now, and I really want to try a Shadow... my questions are these:

1) Can a PvP DPS build be viable in PvE with no difficulty, or does each type of combat need its own build?

2) If I use the build below, what gear should I aim for during my leveling experience?

The Build

My Main problem is people are too busy arguing amongst themselves rather than helping the person needing help. So if everyone reading this could please tone down the bickering, and just assist me and those who will come looking for a build like this one.

I was told this is the Wakajin build... I don't know what it is... but I was told it was good. I just need somewhere to start. I'm primarily going to be PvE, and questing.

Edited by Jimmy_Sixx

First off, welcome to the Shadow community, you will find it a highly effective and fun class, but be prepared to have to work for it. This is not a class that can be won with 3 buttons.

1. Yes, a single spec can cover both PvP and PvE. For dps I prefer http://www.swtor-spy.com/skill-tree-calculator/jedi-shadow/20/?build=002300000000000000000000000000000322230221102030221022000210001003020000000000000000000000000000&ver=20

The hybrid build you have is an ok pvp spec, but will suffer in pve. I personally find my linked spec better for pvp as well, but it can really go either way. My spec is good at leveling, pvp, pve, it can suit your needs for anything.

2. While leveling, gear will not matter too much, just keep it fairly up to date. Trying to balance various stats is an endgame adventure, and will not effect leveling in a big way one way or another.

I'll advise best I can with a couple caveats. One is that PvP is a side dish for me, not the whole meal. I'll still run off a couple war-zones a night, but it's something to do between quests and helping out guildies. the other is that I'm a tank-classed Shadow, so this might not work as well for DPS builds or hybrids.

PvP gear tends to come in levels 20 and 40, but really isn't a big deal until you hit levels 50+. Most of the under 50 guys on PvP are using PvE gear. Your best bets is to make sure any gear you get, PvP or not, is the upgradable stuff. That way, you can use your planetary comms, crafting, and the GTN to make your gear grow with you. Oh, and DO NOT neglect your companions. Since you're playing a Shadow, Tharan is going to be your main man. Keep his gear top of the line if you want to minimize frustration on PvE, emphasis on Endurance, Cunning, and Power.

Save your commendations as much as you can for the upper level gear. If you have to spend a few here and there to stay under the limit, use them on warzone medpacks/adrenals.

Edited by Allronix

My Main problem is people are too busy arguing amongst themselves rather than helping the person needing help.

LOL! I find it funny that you say that, cuz it's so true.

One thing you have to realize about the Shadow / Sin community. They are very passionate about the class.

On the tank side of the house you've got a LOT of hard core number crunchers on an epic journey to achieve perfection. Plus it's just a freaking fun class to tank on.

On the DPS side, we are a bit of the ol' underdog right now that has been smacked around with a nerf bat a little too much, which has gotten people fired up because.....it's just a freaking fun class to DPS on!

So welcome to the family....and take all the bickering in stride. Because mixed in with all the bickering is a LOT of good info and advice. Because after all, it's just a freaking fun class to play, period!

Edited by Grumpftard