Chosen one: Luke, or anakin?

Grayer

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anakin pratically killed the emperor by helping Luke from the Emperor.

Luke was just there to pull Anakin from Dark side to the Light.

Luke never had a chance to kill the emperor, remember the emperor basically killed 2 jedi masters under 1 minute (he lost to Mindu though).

Anakin was the Chosen one.

ANakin is, because he brought literal balance to the force, 2 sith and 2 jedi. The the other Jedi in the books are second tier cannon, in other words cannon for the books, not cannon for George Lucas. Luke is merely Anakin's very whiney offspring.

That was not what was referred to as balance. The books are Canon as well. Not "Second Tier." There is only one continuity.

From GL

"The first film starts with the last age of the Republic, which is it's getting tired, it's old, it's getting corrupt.

There's the rise of the Sith, who are becoming a force, and in the backdrop of this we have Anakin Skywalker, a young boy who is destined to be a significant player in bringing balance back to the Force and to the Republic...

Then in the second film we get into more of that turmoil. It's the beginning of the Clone Wars, it's the beginning of the end of democracy in the Republic, sort of the beginning of the end of the Republic. And it's Anakin Skywalker beginning to deal with some of his more intense emotions of anger, hatred, sense of loss, possessiveness, jealousy, and the other things he has to cope with.

And then we will get to the 3rd film where he is seduced to the dark side..

Which brings us up to the films 4, 5, and 6, in which Anakin's offspring redeem him and allow him to fulfill the prophecy where he brings balance to the Force by doing away with the Sith and getting rid of evil in the universe..."

Removing the Sith is what created balance. Not bringing the numbers equal to the Jedi. The Sith were throwing the force out of balance.

Edited by Rhyltran

Thinking about it now, by the time of ROTJ...theres still imbalance all through the movie. At the start, it starts out as 2 jedi and 2 sith but then 1 jedi dies so now its 1 jedi and 2 sith. But then at the end, there are 2 jedi and 0 sith but one jedi dies so theres only 1 jedi and no sith.

Light Side is balance, Dark Side Causes Imbalance. So it was Balance.

Luke isn't the chosen one. Anakin is. Luke is what Anakin should have been. Anakin brought complete imbalance(Wiping out the Jedi Order) and then brought pure balance.

ANakin is, because he brought literal balance to the force, 2 sith and 2 jedi. The the other Jedi in the books are second tier cannon, in other words cannon for the books, not cannon for George Lucas. Luke is merely Anakin's very whiney offspring.

Saying Luke is whiny in comparison to Anakin is one of the funniest things I think I have ever seen on these forums.....

According to hard canon the chosen one is Anakin. He destroyed the Sith and brought balance to the force by killing the emperor. However if you go by the EU then there isnt really a chosen one at all because the emperor came back and so did lots of other dark force users, making the whole balance thing meaningless.

Light Side is balance, Dark Side Causes Imbalance. So it was Balance.

Luke isn't the chosen one. Anakin is. Luke is what Anakin should have been. Anakin brought complete imbalance(Wiping out the Jedi Order) and then brought pure balance.

Not quite. That's thrown around a lot as well. Dark side isn't imbalance. The sith are imbalanced. There's other dark side users and they're fine. the thing is the Jedi protect and uphold the value of the republic but they don't force their light philosophy on others. The sith aim to turn the entire galaxy dark and eradicate the light. Which creates imbalance.

Not quite. That's thrown around a lot as well. Dark side isn't imbalance. The sith are imbalanced. There's other dark side users and they're fine. the thing is the Jedi protect and uphold the value of the republic but they don't force their light philosophy on others. The sith aim to turn the entire galaxy dark and eradicate the light. Which creates imbalance.

Dark Side itself(The entire thing) causes imbalance. Any Practicioner of the Dark Side causes Imbalance. According to Lucas. Light Side is Balance. Dark Side causes Imbalance. If there was only Light Side, everything would be balance.

Does that make sense?

Any presence of the Dark, Numbers matter not, just the presence of the Dark Side causes imbalance.

I'm not good at explaining things.

And the EU messes it up, there really is no chosen one in EU.

Edited by BrandonSM

Thinking about it now, by the time of ROTJ...theres still imbalance all through the movie. At the start, it starts out as 2 jedi and 2 sith but then 1 jedi dies so now its 1 jedi and 2 sith. But then at the end, there are 2 jedi and 0 sith but one jedi dies so theres only 1 jedi and no sith.

When it comes to the Force balance is not about numbers, it is about the natural state of the Force. The Jedi are servants of the Force while the Sith bend the Force to their will. To put it in RL terms when your body gets a virus you could say that it has become out of balance. The Sith are like a virus that has to be removed before balance can be restored. The Jedi could be likened to the white blood cells that serve the body and help restore balance.

Edited by The_Grand_Nagus

Luke never had a chance to kill the emperor, remember the emperor basically killed 2 jedi masters under 1 minute (he lost to Mindu though).

The Emperor losing to Windu is one of the thing many people say but i believe is wrong. The Emperor was just playing with Windu. He wanted Anakin to see him as a feeble man that needs saving. Anakins final step to turning dark side was killing Mace Windu, which was all a part of Palpatines plan.

Dark Side itself(The entire thing) causes imbalance. Any Practicioner of the Dark Side causes Imbalance. According to Lucas. Light Side is Balance. Dark Side causes Imbalance. If there was only Light Side, everything would be balance.

Does that make sense?

Any presence of the Dark, Numbers matter not, just the presence of the Dark Side causes imbalance.

I'm not good at explaining things.

And the EU messes it up, there really is no chosen one in EU.

No. A lot of people say that but there's no quote stating it. George Lucas has gone on record to say that the Sith throw balance out of whack. A rumor went around for awhile that I, admittedly, believed in which Lucas stated the Dark Side is a cancer in the force. People sourced Bill Moyers and the Mythology of Star Wars. Niarcromon brought it to my attention that this isn't true. I went on to watch it myself and nowhere does Lucas state that. So it seems the only thing that throws it out of balance is the Sith themselves which makes sense considering the various dark side cults don't attempt to conquer the galaxy and pretty much do their own thing on their own worlds.

I could be wrong on this but I've never seen an actual source where Lucas states outright that the Dark Side itself is imbalanced.

Agreed

The Emperor losing to Windu is one of the thing many people say but i believe is wrong. The Emperor was just playing with Windu. He wanted Anakin to see him as a feeble man that needs saving. Anakins final step to turning dark side was killing Mace Windu, which was all a part of Palpatines plan.

I can't remember exactly where, maybe a DVD feature, but Lucas said that the Emperor did actually loose to Windu in the Lightsaber fight. And I think Mace was the only person in the Galaxy capable of doing that.

Force wise Sidious beats everyone else. Even Yoda.

To answer the original question: Anakin was the Chosen one. I genuinely don't understand the complexity to this question. He killed Darth Sidious, the last of the Sith, ergo, The Chosen one.

Without dark there is no light. There will always be dark and light regardless. Technically there were other jedi and potential sith still alive throughout all the movies just maybe not trained or known. Bringing balance just meant killing the emperor who was looking to eradicate the light side which would bring imbalance. If there was just light side then it would technically be imbalanced as well. It's really a silly topic if you ask me.

Balance is not equal numbers of each. "Balance to the Force" is the destruction of the Sith. In the prequels, the Jedi thought that the Chosen One would be a great Jedi Warrior whom took on and killed both Sith. They were mistaken.

The Sith were not destroyed at the end of the SWTOR timeline, and someone brought them back prior to the prequels. A few Sith escaped, and kept the Master/Apprentice roles. If you killed one, the other became the master, or took on a new apprentice.

Anakin killed the Emperor, his Master. He did not take on a new Apprentice. He died as well.

In doing so, he brought balance to the Force.

Anakin proved the idiocy in the Jedi way of thinking. For all their wisdom, not one of the Council members stopped to say, 'hey, has anyone noticed the balance is WAY in our favor? There are thousands of us, we basically do what we want, and there might be like one Sith guy somewhere, maybe. Why would we want to make it even??'

but no. And the rest is history.

Anakin proved the idiocy in the Jedi way of thinking. For all their wisdom, not one of the Council members stopped to say, 'hey, has anyone noticed the balance is WAY in our favor? There are thousands of us, we basically do what we want, and there might be like one Sith guy somewhere, maybe. Why would we want to make it even??'

but no. And the rest is history.

The Jedi weren't out of balance. Read Lucas' quote.

No. A lot of people say that but there's no quote stating it. George Lucas has gone on record to say that the Sith throw balance out of whack. A rumor went around for awhile that I, admittedly, believed in which Lucas stated the Dark Side is a cancer in the force. People sourced Bill Moyers and the Mythology of Star Wars. Niarcromon brought it to my attention that this isn't true. I went on to watch it myself and nowhere does Lucas state that. So it seems the only thing that throws it out of balance is the Sith themselves which makes sense considering the various dark side cults don't attempt to conquer the galaxy and pretty much do their own thing on their own worlds.

I could be wrong on this but I've never seen an actual source where Lucas states outright that the Dark Side itself is imbalanced.

Hmm. I guess your right, I too havent seen a source, but it seemed so believable. Considering lots believed it and, it seems like someting Lucas would say. Well, Niacromon brought it to you, and now you bring it to me. I see.

well the answer would have to be both.....right?

One could say that Luke is part of the "prophecy". Another piece of the chain of events that set Anakin/Vader in motion to for fill the "prophecy". Also Luke = Anakin, as father and son they are really mostly the same. The force is strong in both.

If Luke wasn't around, who would pull Vader back to the light side? Who would convince Vader to kill Sidious to end the Sith, if not his son being slowly killed by Sidious force lightning.

Sure Vader might of been able to kill Sidious on his own accord but for very different reasons. One most likely to take his place and become emperor.

I'm surprised Vader never tried(?) or did it sooner. As we know the whole reason why Anakin turned to the dark side was to save Padme. Once Vader realised the empror wasnt going to do that, why stay his apprentice.

The only reason i've read on these forums is that in his current form as Vader he was to weak to take on the Emperor by himself.

I would like to think they both as father and son brought balance to the force and the galaxy. Sounds like something George Lucas would plan/like.

well the answer would have to be both.....right?

One could say that Luke is part of the "prophecy". Another piece of the chain of events that set Anakin/Vader in motion to for fill the "prophecy". Also Luke = Anakin, as father and son they are really mostly the same. The force is strong in both.

If Luke wasn't around, who would pull Vader back to the light side? Who would convince Vader to kill Sidious to end the Sith, if not his son being slowly killed by Sidious force lightning.

Sure Vader might of been able to kill Sidious on his own accord but for very different reasons. One most likely to take his place and become emperor.

I'm surprised Vader never tried(?) or did it sooner. As we know the whole reason why Anakin turned to the dark side was to save Padme. Once Vader realised the empror wasnt going to do that, why stay his apprentice.

The only reason i've read on these forums is that in his current form as Vader he was to weak to take on the Emperor by himself.

I would like to think they both as father and son brought balance to the force and the galaxy. Sounds like something George Lucas would plan/like.

He stayed his apprentice because he was broken. He had nothing left to live for. The bigger question is why didn't he off himself? My guess is because he couldn't bring himself to do that either. He didn't care enough. Vader has said the thing that he hates the most is himself. Still, he did try to overthrow Sidious a few times. One with Galen Marek and then later by trying to turn Luke Skywalker. Other than that he simply didn't have the will and wasn't powerful enough to kill Sidious.

I believe at that point Vader only cared about serving the dark side of the force.

Edited by Rhyltran

Lucas' own viewpoints regarding what the Force is and is not has changed several times since the first film, mostly in accordance with his own beliefs and philosophical viewpoints. In the 70s, New Age mysticism and Eastern philosophies, like Buddhism and the Tao, were very popular, and so Lucas' presentations of the Force and the Jedi were greatly colored by that. As time went on, religion and philosophy began to take a back seat to science and reason, and this, in turn, changed the way the Force and the Jedi were presented. This is how we went from the Force being "...what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us, penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together" to a genetic condition (midi-chlorians).

Depends on which era of the SW universe you want to focus on as to which version of the Force you're dealing with. When it comes to questions of "canon"... well, there's an entire schema of what is and is not "canon", but almost all of it with a SW label falls somewhere in the canon.