Toxicity in group content

MingusPho

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the steam release there's just been this radical influx of toxic players, more so than usual. I don't even know what else to say. I think I'm cancelling my sub for a few months, let this die down.

Holding your account never works. All you do is miss out on stuff yourself. There has been more toxic people, but you can't blame steam, it was increasing before that. It always increases when the population increase. Best thing you can do, is put a suggestion, in the suggestion forums for more active moderation on servers, I'm sure you'll get others to post , the mods probably won't listen, but if you keep it at the forefront, at least it'll be there, they 'might' take notice.

IN the mean time, just keep ignoring those toxic people (a legacy ignore would be helpful here) and report, if enough people report, they might get squelched for a bit.

I agree with DT for what it's worth. As a solo player, I just switch gen chat to other when it gets really bad but guess that not always an option for group players. By all means, put a request in the suggestion forum about more mods for chat but it is very unlikely going to get anywhere as it would require 24 hours 7 days a week moderation. As DT said though unsubbing for this reason alone seems pointless as he said you are in-fact the only one to miss out. A legacy ignore would be a good start DT, maybe just maybe BW will consider that. Edited by Daxisaclone

Holding your account never works. All you do is miss out on stuff yourself. There has been more toxic people, but you can't blame steam, it was increasing before that. It always increases when the population increase. Best thing you can do, is put a suggestion, in the suggestion forums for more active moderation on servers, I'm sure you'll get others to post , the mods probably won't listen, but if you keep it at the forefront, at least it'll be there, they 'might' take notice.

IN the mean time, just keep ignoring those toxic people (a legacy ignore would be helpful here) and report, if enough people report, they might get squelched for a bit.

Yeah that's something to think about. Those guys just really wear me down. I just don't even want to play with come out in droves. From one group to the next it's really draining. The part I enjoy the most is group content otherwise I wouldn't really play at all. I guess I'll see what I can figure out. My whole guild's on hiatus so I need to think for a while.

As someone who has been "called out" for being toxic, I can explain the issue right now. There are a LOT of people who are recently coming back to the game, or new players. These players then join content that is designed for players who know how to play. So I have been finding myself needing to explain certain mechanics of such content. This point is understandable and I am fine explaining stuff. The issue is that a section of these players don't listen to this and continue to "play their way" even when it works against the rest of the group.

So a few pointers I have given and been told I was being mean:

1. Don't use a push back ability when we want to keep the enemies grouped up

2. After this master mode, you might want to go and play more veterans to get a better grasp at the game

3. Cleanse the debuff the first boss of hammer station gives...

4. Read your spec's tree to better understand your class.

5. Use defensive cooldowns

6. Don't hit the stunned enemy

Now... maybe I am just being a jerk, but I think all these things are useful tips to newer players.

As someone who has been "called out" for being toxic, I can explain the issue right now. There are a LOT of people who are recently coming back to the game, or new players. These players then join content that is designed for players who know how to play. So I have been finding myself needing to explain certain mechanics of such content. This point is understandable and I am fine explaining stuff. The issue is that a section of these players don't listen to this and continue to "play their way" even when it works against the rest of the group.

So a few pointers I have given and been told I was being mean:

1. Don't use a push back ability when we want to keep the enemies grouped up

2. After this master mode, you might want to go and play more veterans to get a better grasp at the game

3. Cleanse the debuff the first boss of hammer station gives...

4. Read your spec's tree to better understand your class.

5. Use defensive cooldowns

6. Don't hit the stunned enemy

Now... maybe I am just being a jerk, but I think all these things are useful tips to newer players.

That's not toxic, that's trying to help out people getting better. However some people react to the advice in most toxic ways. Name calling, trying to vote kick and so on. That's what made me stop pugging flashpoints. It was too disgusting how some people behaved. It also started way before Steam players, it started with 6.0 and HS farming.

It also started way before Steam players, it started with 6.0 and HS farming.

If only it was just that recent. Different moments bring different irritations. Every time there is a major influx of players you get it. 6.0 was just the most recent "major" expansion.

I think that it is a generalisation and very bad to imply that the toxicity that exists in group content is the fault of new players from Steam as that is simply not the case. There has always and there will always be toxicity in such content - it's all over all mmorpgs.

People who are unwilling to help people new to content. People who try to get rid of anyone who wants to play a different way to the way they want to play. People who are bigots, small minded and just plain stupid.

I think that this is one reason SWTOR is actually a good mmorpg as you can avoid all that toxicity unless you want to take part in the "uber content for shinies" - then you know you will be lumped together with people who demand perfection and god help you if you are just mortal.

Edited by Gericke

It's the reason I still haven't ever tried an ops. I want to but with my visual impairment I don't think random grouping would go well. I'm a decent player, but I can't always react as quickly because I struggle to see some of the elements of the game.

I recommend joining a guild, look for a good guild, explain the issue, and see if they have a progression team, or training team. Depending on the guild, they might even organise an op with experienced players, so that you can go with them, and if there are any issues, they'd have your back. Ops are great, especially when doing them for the first time. Time is always my biggest issue, never knowing in advance if I have the time to go through the whole op. It's the main reason I don't do them anymore.

look toxic players have been around since the very first mmo came out and its not gonna be changed anytime soon heck even console online games have their share of toxic people, so best piece of advice is to just get a thicc skin and let it wash over you, dont let their words affect you, its just that a bunch of words.

and no wanting bioware to moderate ingame chat is asking the impossible they dont have the resources to hire that many people to moderate chat at all times and in my opinion it is straight up fascist behaviour to do that aswell.

remember its just a bunch of words being spouted on the internet and if you get offended by it the problem lies with you. harsh to say i know but its the truth.

look toxic players have been around since the very first mmo came out and its not gonna be changed anytime soon heck even console online games have their share of toxic people, so best piece of advice is to just get a thicc skin and let it wash over you, dont let their words affect you, its just that a bunch of words.

and no wanting bioware to moderate ingame chat is asking the impossible they dont have the resources to hire that many people to moderate chat at all times and in my opinion it is straight up fascist behaviour to do that aswell.

remember its just a bunch of words being spouted on the internet and if you get offended by it the problem lies with you. harsh to say i know but its the truth.

If it was just words it would be more tolerable. The thing is they wreck whole groups by upsetting a key role. When the tank or the healer quits it's pretty much over man. I got so sick of them I haven't tanked in a year and I might heal if I know you already.

After playing Tera for awhile, the players here are like saints! Just come back to the game since a week or two ago and mostly players have been quite patient with me in flashpoints.

I suppose there is always time for me to encounter someone who is toxic, but thus far, as I say, it's been fine.

I think that it is a generalisation and very bad to imply that the toxicity that exists in group content is the fault of new players from Steam as that is simply not the case. There has always and there will always be toxicity in such content - it's all over all mmorpgs.

I'm not saying it's the steam guys, I'm using Steam's infusion as a chronological marker to denote the difference. My suspicion is that the toxic players were somehow rejuvenated by an increase in population. Maybe they were lying low until they saw the opportunity to get into groups due to being on too many ignore lists. I welcome new players. They're good for everybody.

After playing Tera for awhile, the players here are like saints! Just come back to the game since a week or two ago and mostly players have been quite patient with me in flashpoints.

I suppose there is always time for me to encounter someone who is toxic, but thus far, as I say, it's been fine.

Tera must be truly unimaginably bad then, I'm glad I don't play anymore. I used to, it wasn't so bad then, wonder what changed?

I recommend joining a guild, look for a good guild, explain the issue, and see if they have a progression team, or training team. Depending on the guild, they might even organise an op with experienced players, so that you can go with them, and if there are any issues, they'd have your back. Ops are great, especially when doing them for the first time. Time is always my biggest issue, never knowing in advance if I have the time to go through the whole op. It's the main reason I don't do them anymore.

I'm in a small guild with friends I know outside of the game. We probably have enough people to do some of the easier ops but most aren't active right now, and many aren't well-geared. Pretty casual group.

Since the steam release there's just been this radical influx of toxic players, more so than usual. I don't even know what else to say. I think I'm cancelling my sub for a few months, let this die down.

The ignore feature exists for a reason. Use it.

Actually, no, in the early day of chat rooms, and forums, and even games, there were mods, and people like that were removed, There were consequences for bad behavior, if a person could lose their account for being an *** then they moderate their behavior. The problem with a lot of the net these days is, no consequences. It allows, actually gives people permission to be A**H****

The worst part of this, is what you just said " if you get offended by it the problem lies with you", that has being used by hate groups, etc for so long.

Edited by DarkTergon

The ignore feature exists for a reason. Use it.

The ignore feature is almost useless becuase its only per character in a game that has a legacy system that actively encourages alts- yet does not have a legacy friend or ignore feature.

Truly a staggeringly baffling and completely unbelievable level of incompetence that it remained this way for so long. this should not have made it past alpha versions.

The ignore feature is almost useless becuase its only per character in a game that has a legacy system that actively encourages alts- yet does not have a legacy friend or ignore feature.

Truly a staggeringly baffling and completely unbelievable level of incompetence that it remained this way for so long. this should not have made it past alpha versions.

The initial release didn't encourage alts as much as the game does now. QoL is very low on Bioware's prioritis (just slightly above fighting credit sellers), the Galaxy Guide being the latest example (can't even hide it from interface edit and I bet that is intentional). But they just added legacy ban to guild this year or last so there is still hope. Edited by ElleSheepy

The initial release didn't encourage alts as much as the game does now. QoL is very low on Bioware's prioritis (just slightly above fighting credit sellers), the Galaxy Guide being the latest example (can't even hide it from interface edit and I bet that is intentional). But they just added legacy ban to guild this year or last so there is still hope.

They should add that to characters.. its incredible that they didn't do that when they added that feature to guilds.. WTFH were they thinking?

Legacy friends and Legacy ignore are no brainer features the game should have had for years.

Edited by DaZeeZee

So make note of them and add them to your alts. Its not that big of a deal.