Time for a new star wars MMO

Ravethorr

After watching battlefront 2 gameplay with Rey and Darth Maul this game feels very outdated, i've always felt that this game could have been much better. I think its time EA pull the plug on this game and give us the Star Wars MMO we all deserve. Edited by Ravethorr

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EA has the license right ?

Through at least 2023. Disney and EA signed a 10 year exclusive deal back in 2013. Said deal gives EA exclusive rights to produce all SW games with the exception of a handful of mobile gaming exceptions where Disney has right of first refusal.

And no.. we do not need a new SW MMO. We just need this one to get back on track. Comparing an MMO to a single player game and throwing the "dated" card on the table is a non-starter. Two different game styles, platforms, and approaches.

Edited by Andryah

Through at least 2023. Disney and EA signed a 10 year exclusive deal back in 2013. Said deal gives EA exclusive rights to produce all SW games with the exception of a handful of mobile gaming exceptions where Disney has right of first refusal.

And no.. we do not need a new SW MMO. We just need this one to get back on track. Comparing an MMO to a single player game and throwing the "dated" card on the table is a non-starter. Two different game styles, platforms, and approaches.

Yush!

I really enjoy SWTOR for all its flaws and things it's done right. I'd rather Bioware find that passion and get cleaned up and really make this game great, because it can be done.

MMOs have ridiculous Lifespans. Everquest is still alive, WoW is still going strong after 12 years.

After watching battlefront 2 gameplay with Rey and Darth Maul this game feels very outdated, i've always felt that this game could have been much better. I think its time EA pull the plug on this game and give us the Star Wars MMO we all deserve.

Hell no

We'd just get another shooter knock-off. I don't want to play that ****.

Dang it, why don't posts have a 'like' button? :)

^ This.

There's nothing wrong with this game that can't be fixed with some smart decisions by the Dev team, a little time, and a bit of patience on the part of the players.

All The Best

^ This.

There's nothing wrong with this game that can't be fixed with smarter decisions by the Dev team, a lot of time /blood /sweat /tears, and an ocean of patience on the part of the players.

All The Best

Fixed & nodding

Face it people, ~6 years of development and updates are not going to be adjusted overnight. More likely will be a year from now we'll actually be closer to the ideal, but still have much work ahead... and that is jut 'fixing' what we already have, not even accounting for new content, Murphy, and the unintended consequences they will bring with them.

So but us no buts, buckle up, and move up or move over... If you can't take a joke, you should never have joined.

Edited by Kaveat

Personally I don't care much for present day jj abrams Star Trek reboot creature shop current day Disney Star Wars.

I greatly value the Star Wars of the distant past where jedi and sith are plentiful and the lore is fantastic. I appreciate this game draws from the expanded universe. I don't really want to play Han Solo blowing up the shield base on the endor moon for the 300th time. Those Battlefront games are massively hyped and at best make about 3 weeks of playing.

Yeah, because after the huge success of this one, EA is just desperate to throw another 300+ million at developing a game for a failing genre with a rapidly evaporating/impossible to satisfy player base.

That's much easier than just milking the playerbase it has for the time being until it eventually fizzles out.

:rolleyes:

Edited by jedip_enguin

Personally I don't care much for present day jj abrams Star Trek reboot creature shop current day Disney Star Wars.

I greatly value the Star Wars of the distant past where jedi and sith are plentiful and the lore is fantastic. I appreciate this game draws from the expanded universe. I don't really want to play Han Solo blowing up the shield base on the endor moon for the 300th time. Those Battlefront games are massively hyped and at best make about 3 weeks of playing.

This is it for me. The Old Republic setting is perfect. Wasn't that (one of the many) major criticisms of SWG? That the setting prevented playing as a Jedi or Sith? If we're going to change the setting, I feel like we need to wait a minute until the new Rey story progresses far enough.

They won't make another Star Wars MMO for many years, and probably not until WOW starts to show signs of weakness. There is a massive untapped Xbox/PS MMO market though so that might appeal to EA.

SWTOR was a failure at the start though with too much focus on the wrong things, if they spent all that time/money on Ops/FPs that they could slowly roll out for years then it would have been a hit. Then to focus so much on a single player story over what makes MMOs different from RPGs in general was another big mistake.

There's nothing wrong with this game that can't be fixed with smarter decisions by the Dev team, a lot of time /blood /sweat /tears, and an ocean of patience on the part of the players.

All The Best

Add a decent budget allowing developing multiple type of content at the same time and huge improvements on the engine, especially the network handling and the rendering.

Seems with Keith the game is in better hands it ever was but we certainly have no hints at all they have a big enough budget to push the game to the next level.

I enjoy SWTOR. Every game has its issues, this one definitely does, but in terms of overall game play, I have a lot of fun.

This. The forum overall is fairly negative about the game (as are most game forums to be fair) but its really not bad at all, issues exist of course but plenty of fun to be had still.

Edited by jpscjpsc

MMORPGs are well into their decline. The existing ones, like SWTOR will putter along while they still make money, but the genre competes with mobile games that cost 1/100th as much to produce and support, but make similar or better revenue.

Nah, they're expensive to make for sure but for some people no other games can take their place. So there is an obvious niche in the marketplace for them, and capitalism like nature abhors a vacuum. Somebody will always be trying to fill that gap because it'll be profitable for some.

While I wouldn't mind seeing a canon MMO in the vein of Star Trek Online, I can't see that happen anytime soon; if at all. But hey, think about it like this, as long as this game remains alive, the Legends timeline is still being updated. Also, there is no way that they would be able to make an MMO that has the same level of graphics as Battlefront 2. It would be a nightmare on the servers.

Also, there is no way that they would be able to make an MMO that has the same level of graphics as Battlefront 2. It would be a nightmare on the servers.

That might be a problem with Gaming As A Service types of games where the rendering is done on the server and then video is streamed to a remote user's device, but with something like SWTOR's design the graphics are all done on the client machine, so loading up on graphics quality has no effect on the workload of the game server.

It just has an effect on whether or not users need to upgrade their GPUs, RAM, and switch to SSDs if they haven't already.

After watching battlefront 2 gameplay with Rey and Darth Maul this game feels very outdated, i've always felt that this game could have been much better. I think its time EA pull the plug on this game and give us the Star Wars MMO we all deserve.

Comparing a shooter to a RPG? Making it more like playing heroes in Battlefront- hence more action oriented, would streamline the classes too much. It would become a third person action game, not a rpg.

Edited by Kaedusz

I am in 100% agreement. The time period that this game is set in is a lot more fun. I loved SWG and playing in the Original Trilogy time period but it as restrictive due to the films. This era allows for so much lore and freedom in storytelling.