Another plausible neat idea: CAN WE EXPORT details of our characters to TEXT file??

lightningseven

Another plausible neat idea: CAN WE EXPORT details of our characters to TEXT file??

you know, in case we want to do some data analysis of all the different things we are doing in game.

I have 32 characters on Satele Shan server, 55 or 56 over on Star Forge, and another 32-ish over on Darth Malgus

I LITERALLY CANNOT KEEP TRACK of them all!

Now i know that most people do not do that. MOST people play 1 character to death and then move to another one when they get either bored or finished with what they wanted to do on that one.

I don't play like that. I just play whatever i need at any given time and yeah i am all over the map.

What i would like to be able to do is to MAKE MYSELF A PRINT OUT or database of my characters that i can look at "the big picture" of things and see if there are any things i have not done yet? Like have i tried a given combat spec, or have i ever done X achievement or Y mission or Z world boss or A B C D E flashpoints or operations on any given character(s)

Ideally this would just print out to maybe a CSV file or flat text, or a Libre Office database or, ideally, SPREADSHEET file that we can then look at ourselves, outside of game or maybe even inside of game, as we play, so we can get things done better and easier by seeing where we have gone and what we have yet to do.

YES I KNOW the "Achivement tracking" window is meant to be all about tracking that but when you have so many characters, it is very hard to see the "big picture" as you have to log in to each and every one to see some of those things and then you still cannot see everything.

i know this is a huge idea but maybe at least some of it can be implemented?

Some might like this. I know i would like to better organize my game play and devote my time to HOW i play, SMARTER, and not feel lost all the time, because i cannot always remember each and every character has ever done X but has never done Y.

Thanks for reading.

YES I KNOW the "Achivement tracking" window is meant to be all about tracking that but when you have so many characters, it is very hard to see the "big picture" as you have to log in to each and every one to see some of those things and then you still cannot see everything.

Actually, no, that's not what the Achievement tracking section of the Legacy panel is for. It's very much a summary of what your characters, taken as a whole, have achieved.

I think that a feature *like* the GW2 API is what you're looking for, although I'm not convinved that JSON is the best possible "human" format, and it certainly doesn't suit "consumer" database / spreadsheet import.

Overview at https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/API:Main

That said, I'd recommend Excel 97 as a better export format than either Libre Office (spit) or a more recent Excel version or CSV. Especially CSV. CSV is a *horrible* format that's full of nasty surprises.

Excel 97 dates from before the days of XLSX files in Office, and the format is solid, well-understood, and will reliably import into modern Excel or Libre Office.