Are free respecs messing with PvP?

MelliMelon

Just wondering the PvP community's thoughts on this. It is not unheard of to have people respec to tank hybrid/healing specs during the phase switch on voidstar, or if they capture a node in CW or NC, not to mention all the people respeccing for huttball. I feel like this negatively impacts gameplay, but I have done it myself as well, and see the lure of it, especially in a bad pug.

Do you find it to be a problem? In ranked? In normals? Should BW do something about it (like disable respecs after the start of a match? Some other thing?)

I don't have a problem with it. You could always do it, it just cost credits :p

I really see no problem with field respeccing for example my sorc was a healer but then realised there was 4 healers so i respecced dps mid wz and it got a bit closer after that.

Yes I respec for huttball to tank spec if there are none and I have switched to hybrid spec for defense from time to time in voidstar. Its awesome.

So far I see a logical argument for having it rather than "I feel" for not having it.

This can be very handy in PUGs where you get slapped together, like this poster and the overdose of healers mentioned before.

Yeah, I agree with the positive things. The possibility for it "negatively affecting gameplay" comes when you have a voidstar with 4 hybrid tanks and 4 healers. I haven't faced that myself, which is why I'm asking the community. It seems nobody so far has had a negative experience, and it helps drastically for pugs. Will look forward to more comments.

I do it all the time as well. My juggernaut can go from full min/maxed rage or vengeance with 19k hp to an immortal/vengeance hybrid (i like the 27/12/x) with 26.3k hp for huttball or defense. I have got the switch down to like 15 sec including switching all the gear, rearranging my hotbars, and clicking all the buttons.

I don't think its that bad as everyone can do it but it certainly does favor us that have played more and have been able to acquire multiple sets of gear. That said, i think it should be removed from rateds but kept for normals. When half your group can be a pug, being able to respec to a useful/non-plentiful role goes along way for making the match less frustrating.

Yeah, I agree with the positive things. The possibility for it "negatively affecting gameplay" comes when you have a voidstar with 4 hybrid tanks and 4 healers. I haven't faced that myself, which is why I'm asking the community. It seems nobody so far has had a negative experience, and it helps drastically for pugs. Will look forward to more comments.

Bah, I've played in warzones with 1 Flux and 2 healers. How much worse could 3 more tanks and 2 healers really be? :p

I see what you're saying, but I don't think enough people will start to aggressively respec in normal warzones for it to make a difference. I respec sometimes for huttball on my sniper by going 35 point lethality ( and I supposed I should start doing the same for my guardian), and I less often I respec to 31 point lethality for Voidstar offense. It challenges me as a player to get better with other specs I'm less comfortable with, and I enjoy that. But I really think most people won't bother. It takes some rethinking about how you set up your quickslot keybinds, it's a bit of a frantic hassle, and most people play specs because they're comfortable and familiar.

For ranked? For ranked I think it could be a much bigger issue. 4 tanks and 4 healers is very, very plausible. I haven't played any ranked matches since FTP dropped so, er, "plausibe!" is the best I can do. But those ASB twinks on my server could be a real problem.. :p

But I think BW should be cautious about restricting use in warzones unless it does turn out to be a problem. It raises the skill cap ever so slightly, and I think that's for the best. And it makes marauders slightly less of an obvious choice to stack in ranked warzones. (In favor of....juggs, so maybe that's not a big advantage).

Edited by stringcat

The effect is, in its own way, self limiting. Since both teams have access to it, and classes have counters, be they other classes or specs.

As for the comment about Voidstar, if a wz is designed in such a way that you either only need 1 role (i.e. support) to be best off or have no use for 1 of the roles, is that wz designed well for team play?

I have run into this before and it can be irritating, but changing in wz respec doesn't directly address the issue. The best group composition should never revolve either exclusively around having many of 1 roll or none of another. In short, I believe the counterplay on Voidstar could use a bit more focus.

So far I see a logical argument for having it rather than "I feel" for not having it.

This can be very handy in PUGs where you get slapped together, like this poster and the overdose of healers mentioned before.

Yeah I will never use this in rateds because you have or should have an ideal team composition, for pugs this almost the exact opposite. Getting stuck with to many dps or healers or tanks being able to respec has been just fricking great and I am glad they changed it.

This is looks like cheat and great advantage before pure dps classes :rolleyes:

A "cheat"? Really?

I play a pure DPS clsas, and I don't mind. Yes, respec isn't as useful for marauders and snipers. ("I will kill people in different ways! BWAHAHA!") But ultimately, PVP is a team-based game, and you will be as advantaged from teammates switching roles as you would be switching yourself.

It is not cheating per se. All the top ranked teams do it. But what the availability of this strategy does is to re-energize the impact of gear as opposed to skill in pvp. Many people object to features which magnify this aspect of the game. And nothing, NOTHING, in the game emphasizes gear more than giving big advantages to people who can grind out two sets of gear.

It also renders certain PvP maps obsolete. When two ranked teams now meet in Voidstar, the objectives sought after now are entirely distorted. Two thirds of the map are never utilized. One can question whether this is what the map designers anticipated....

It elevates gameplay.

no reason to get stuck in a warzone with a build thats not ideal.

A team has no healers, become one.

A team has too many healers, dps.

No tanks guarding healers? itank.

too many tanks, not enough dps, ikill.

More variety, more fun.

^ Agreed.

OP - I haven't noticed any match-breaking type issues with this as it is. Can't comment on current fit with rateds, haven't played any in a while.

Edited by Joesixxpack

This feature is something that further separates the men from the boys.

Both teams have access to it, and it is obviously intended to be allowed. You could always do this before, it just cost money.

It doesn't break PvP, it enhances it.

Every class except sniper/mara has a dual role now, and every one of those players should be getting both DPS and heal/tank gear. All the good players will. All the bad players won't and they'll cry. With 1.6 changes making gear gap even smaller, you have nothing to cry about except your own incompetence and inability to adapt.

This feature is something that further separates the men from the boys.

Both teams have access to it, and it is obviously intended to be allowed. You could always do this before, it just cost money.

It doesn't break PvP, it enhances it.

Every class except sniper/mara has a dual role now, and every one of those players should be getting both DPS and heal/tank gear. All the good players will. All the bad players won't and they'll cry. With 1.6 changes making gear gap even smaller, you have nothing to cry about except your own incompetence and inability to adapt.

Sounds about right... and applies to the many threads about pugs wanting a "solo queue". People complaining about the "disadvantage" in things that are available to ALL players.

It elevates gameplay.

no reason to get stuck in a warzone with a build thats not ideal.

A team has no healers, become one.

A team has too many healers, dps.

No tanks guarding healers? itank.

too many tanks, not enough dps, ikill.

More variety, more fun.

And this... this about sums it up.

it will cause more problems at higher end pvp because of this

example

sent vs jug

jug can now be and added tank in VS sent is still only dps

it will cause an already group make up game to become even more so to get max resaults

but for non ranked pvp it is fine

Edited by TheBigBee

it will cause more problems at higher end pvp because of this

example

sent vs jug

jug can now be and added tank in VS sent is still only dps

it will cause an already group make up game to become even more so to get max resaults

but for non ranked pvp it is fine

Marauder specs rage for VS, carnage for CW and HB....

Jug specs tank for VS defense, DPS for offense, tank for huttball...

Yeah... some AC's get screwed but I think over all... if it ain't broke... don't fix it. And it ain't broke.

The list can go on and on... def makes the matches more interesting and adds a new level to the game.