Aces?

Argonloris

A guildie suggested this to me as a way to tell if your really helping or hurting your team.

Take your kill counts and subtract 1 kill for every death and the see what you left with and when in death match where 1 kill can be game breaker. It would be great pointer counter system if for every death you lost a point to the good It would defintly start adding up to not just the players our there doing 20 kills and dieing 15 times were considered great or ace because it is simple not true.

I'll take the guy that has 6 kills and 0 deaths over the other any day of the week.

That would be a cery instristing way for them to keep score and declare a victory.

Some people are intentionally focused because they can rack up big kills, and are dangerous opponents. Particularly in a gunship Snipe match the scout netting high kills with a high death count has certainly done his work, and the deaths are because the gunships are watching for him.

I would score this player more highly, than a guy 6 and 0, as he is likely only picking off the running trash in a gunship.

Edited by Yndras

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In TDM, the win goes to most kills. A wingman who captures a lot of assists but is ranked 3 to 5 on the damage chart, depending on the mix of the teams, works just as hard for that win and flies just as well as the obvious "ace." Is a wingman in a TDM who gets 15 or more assists not flying well? He helped in more than 30% of the kills, probably significantly in half or more of those if his damage was good. You can check the same stat in other map types but it's easy in TDM.

With the stats that are easily available, there is no way to count someone an "ace" without being biased to a particular ship or stat. If you count solo kills, a ship that can consistently kill in just a couple shots has an edge. If you count total kills, ships that can stand off a bit and easily pick up the next ship in their targets has an edge. If you count total damage, it's about having a ship that has high damage and accuracy weapons with an ability to quickly target the next ship or to target multiple ships. The interesting point is that the same ships that can easily capture high damage can also easily capture high assists which further masks a fighter pilot flying well as a wingman.

If you take the players listed as aces on the various servers and categorize them by ship flown the most, I think you will see that the current method used is biased to specific ships. As a result, you're relegating "aces" to those specific ship types.

I realize the method of designating an "ace" will probably never change because people can't get past those two or three obvious stats. I'm smart enough to recognize its failings though. IMO, you shouldn't need to fly the highest damage killing machines to be recognized as a team player or as an "ace."

I agree with some of your points. I tend to play on the underdog team as I find it more challenging(Ie if reps are winning or rolling the imps, ill go fight on the imps and vice versa, the games are getting quite balanced on the harbinger now tho.) It was quite apparent to me that before I first started playing Bandeeto the imps were outright terrible. When i started playing with the imps it quickly became clear that they weren't terrible, they just needed support pilots, and a couple of guys that could carry and draw. I'm not sure if you guys are aware of the draw strategy, but basically you draw in enough players on you that your support or wingmen can pick them off, to do this you damage and shoot different targets and your not really chasing any particular pilot down. Now with out support fighters the focused target will eventually be brought down, and because he is so busy occupying the other pilots, he will not always get the highest damage or kills, but he is definitely invaluable, as is the person that sweeps in and removes them from his tail.

I've a challenge to the Harbinger pilots, step out of your gunships and come fly.

Edited by Yndras

Ydras you just decribed my true talent right there kiteing wile others take out the trash is and has been my main strat

for a long time now and when im clear of people tracking me I go an kill some one and grab more and do the same thing with the next set.

I have kited up to 6 ships trying to shoot me around the map numerious times and it works really well

Edited by Lytewraith
misspell

...you draw in enough players on you that your support or wingmen can pick them off, to do this you damage and shoot different targets and your not really chasing any particular pilot down. Now with out support fighters the focused target will eventually be brought down, and because he is so busy occupying the other pilots, he will not always get the highest damage or kills, but he is definitely invaluable, as is the person that sweeps in and removes them from his tail.

It's possibly even more satisfying to have 5-6 opponents follow you only to do fly-bys past your 'wingmen' and let them engage than it is to rack up kills imo. I do this often in my Strike Fighter (until the nerf to retro thrusters scuppers that tactic for me).

Some people are intentionally focused because they can rack up big kills, and are dangerous opponents. Particularly in a gunship Snipe match the scout netting high kills with a high death count has certainly done his work, and the deaths are because the gunships are watching for him.

I would score this player more highly, than a guy 6 and 0, as he is likely only picking off the running trash in a gunship.

this...

Certain matches especially when i swap to republic and im facing alot of regulars im in same team with will hunt me from start to finish coz they know what i can do, but that also can be a massive contributor, may die alot in them matches, but ive got 2-4 all time after me, so my other 11 team friends are ripping them apart at around 3 to my one death. i would say that is a big contributing thing, lol

but rarely i ever have more deaths than kills in any game mode on any ship, well maybe fighter im not so keen on fighter lol

yea matty I would say that is a gme winner there . I am in the same boat if I can get the clean kills I take them and if I got a few on my six ill drag themand try to snap a shot or two off on the un expecting victim wile kiting I average in a death match 6 or so kills and around 18 assist usually and maybe 1-2 deaths. A lot of the time I can go zero deaths if lag is not killing me .

I know for a lot of pilots right now the lag is rediculas to play through especially when you charge up a rail gun and let go of it and it finally fires 3 secs later and after you are blown up lol.

yea matty I would say that is a gme winner there . I am in the same boat if I can get the clean kills I take them and if I got a few on my six ill drag themand try to snap a shot or two off on the un expecting victim wile kiting I average in a death match 6 or so kills and around 18 assist usually and maybe 1-2 deaths. A lot of the time I can go zero deaths if lag is not killing me .

I know for a lot of pilots right now the lag is rediculas to play through especially when you charge up a rail gun and let go of it and it finally fires 3 secs later and after you are blown up lol.

lol so true, my fav glitch is as you reach fully charge it don't fire at all and u cant exit snipe mode = death lol

Jostorians here. this my first time posting on something like this usually I don't care what people think of me but when I saw my name on the aces list I was happy and shocked. I wish I knew who picked me like to thank them as it is nice to get noticed :) though I know there a lot of folks that are on here that kill me on a daily biases I think I hold my own lol. any way I just like to say that there are a lot of good pilots out there that did not make this list that I think are as good or even better then I am. I am not sure if I spell these all right but here goes. pak'ti he runs gun ship and is a really good shoot (this from Jedi cov btw. McMillan can be found on either a gunship or a pike deadly in both. and I know there allot more that I missed but I don't now what u need to do before making this board. I run every thing and I am good at all but not great at any ship particularly and only 5 ships master (2 came that way not real fair) always asking for advice and learning from those that are better then me and willing to give tips. any way i love the space pvp not to fond of gunships or bombers (though I do fly them just rather dogfight is all) I hope the get a queue system that limits how many gs and bombers tat can be available but that ffor a different board hoe to see u guys out their!!!

Jostorians here. this my first time posting on something like this usually I don't care what people think of me but when I saw my name on the aces list I was happy and shocked. I wish I knew who picked me like to thank them as it is nice to get noticed :) though I know there a lot of folks that are on here that kill me on a daily biases I think I hold my own lol. any way I just like to say that there are a lot of good pilots out there that did not make this list that I think are as good or even better then I am. I am not sure if I spell these all right but here goes. pak'ti he runs gun ship and is a really good shoot (this from Jedi cov btw. McMillan can be found on either a gunship or a pike deadly in both. and I know there allot more that I missed but I don't now what u need to do before making this board. I run every thing and I am good at all but not great at any ship particularly and only 5 ships master (2 came that way not real fair) always asking for advice and learning from those that are better then me and willing to give tips. any way i love the space pvp not to fond of gunships or bombers (though I do fly them just rather dogfight is all) I hope the get a queue system that limits how many gs and bombers tat can be available but that ffor a different board hoe to see u guys out their!!!

Hey jostorians, good to see you here. You've blown me up about 500 times (usually as Zuckerkorn, either gunship or sting). I wasn't the one who nominated you, but I believe you definitely deserve your spot on the list.

List is up to date again. Sorry for the delay. It's been a bit of a long week. Also thanks for making this the most viewed thread in this section of the forums. Good to know people are looking.

In that regard though this list is nothing official and shouldn't be taken as such. I was saddened to see that it was being used to insult another player in the game (on my home sever no less :( . Not cool. ) This is a list meant to show that these players have been noticed by others for skilled flying during some matches they have played. At any given time any of these players can be beaten by others. With that in mind I would ask that everyone please show some kindness to the other members of the game and if someone insults you then don't go with the eye for an eye approach. If they continue to bother you through other characters then inform the GMs of harassment issues. It doesn't do any good to start a shouting match through whispers.

I've a challenge to the Harbinger pilots, step out of your gunships and come fly.

For starters, thanks to saberzzz for the nod. I think what Yndras just said is indicative of how I have been playing as of late: i.e. I try not just flying on my GS to rack up kills/big numbers. In domination, more often than not, requires a bomber to sit on a point most of the match to win. Strike fighters/scouts can be just as fun to play and take you out of your comfort zone and hopefully make you a better player.

Besides, when you own 11+ ships it's just silly to play one type all the time, regardless of how people will label you. :)

Imagine my surprise to find my name on that list. Not sure I deserve it, but thank you very much for the nod Jostorians. There are quite a few names on that list that I would consider Aces for both Pub and Imp side. At most I would be in the bottom bracket of those names that are listed. But personally I don't consider myself an Ace. By the way this is Pak'Tii. I fly both Pub side and Imp side, but Pak'Tii is my Pub side GSF toon. I do own and fly all the ships (except for bombers at the present moment), but I do seem to do the best in my Quarrel.

As far as nominations......everyone I can think of is already on the list and there is one name I would include, but not sure how to spell it so I'll get back to ya on that. It is great to see the JC represented so well in this thread. Anyways thanks again J....and glad to see your on the list.....you do deserve it.

My GSF pilot is Ortan.

I guess I just don't play enough on The Harbinger to be considered an Ace. I've gone toe to toe with many of the 'aces' on that server list and come out on top most of the time.

The only ones I consistently have trouble with is Willie and Myx due to the fact that they only play together/premade and I'm puggin it up. Once I gun for one, the other comes racing to the rescue. In one on one fights I can usually split 50-50 with em, and dogfights with Willie really end up being decided by either 1) Myx is nearby watching his back or 2) my lasers RNG miss while his hit.

Greenbay and Touchdown are scrubs, but play a lot so I can see why people would nominate them. I've sent both of them back to spawn countless times, despite them usually playing together.

I'll stop with the trash talk now but I would hesitate to call some of these folks aces, especially considering that many work together in premades which makes PVP infinitely more productive. I pug 100% of the time and have done more with less.

My GSF pilot is Ortan.

I guess I just don't play enough on The Harbinger to be considered an Ace. I've gone toe to toe with many of the 'aces' on that server list and come out on top most of the time.

The only ones I consistently have trouble with is Willie and Myx due to the fact that they only play together/premade and I'm puggin it up. Once I gun for one, the other comes racing to the rescue. In one on one fights I can usually split 50-50 with em, and dogfights with Willie really end up being decided by either 1) Myx is nearby watching his back or 2) my lasers RNG miss while his hit.

Greenbay and Touchdown are scrubs, but play a lot so I can see why people would nominate them. I've sent both of them back to spawn countless times, despite them usually playing together.

I'll stop with the trash talk now but I would hesitate to call some of these folks aces, especially considering that many work together in premades which makes PVP infinitely more productive. I pug 100% of the time and have done more with less.

Don't take the list as a slight against you just because you haven't been mentioned yet. It's been said time and time again that this list is far from perfect, mainly because I doubt every GSFer is coming by here to contribute.

In fact I'm kind of glad none of my characters haven't been mentioned yet, cause as I see it, you get a target painted on you once you make this list. I know I definitely place priority on taking down names I recognize.

Don't take the list as a slight against you just because you haven't been mentioned yet. It's been said time and time again that this list is far from perfect, mainly because I doubt every GSFer is coming by here to contribute.

In fact I'm kind of glad none of my characters haven't been mentioned yet, cause as I see it, you get a target painted on you once you make this list. I know I definitely place priority on taking down names I recognize.

Aha, you're right. I'm gonna admit to feeling slighted by not being mentioned. Like I said, I don't fly frequently enough for people to remember my name I guess. I should just be happy with knowing how I rank against the people listed here, and just enjoy my success silently.

To be honest, I just want fame and glory for my GSF skills - it's one of the only reasons I play.

Aha, you're right. I'm gonna admit to feeling slighted by not being mentioned. Like I said, I don't fly frequently enough for people to remember my name I guess. I should just be happy with knowing how I rank against the people listed here, and just enjoy my success silently.

To be honest, I just want fame and glory for my GSF skills - it's one of the only reasons I play.

I admit I sometimes feel the same way. However, it is more satisfying to meet the aces in battle (both those on this list and those who aren't) and turn them to space dust. Actually the best 'recognition' I get is when a good player comes at me in their strike, gets killed. Then comes at me in their scout, gets killed. Then as a bomber, and a gunship, still meeting the same end. They then respawn as the original ship they used and avoid me the rest of the match.

EDIT: The biggest reason I would like cross-server queues is so I could play against and with all the great players from other servers. I would enjoy the challenge.

Edited by okiobe

Ortan you're a solid pilot. Definitely top tier on Harbinger. I've another nomination, El-ahrairah the rabbit god. He is a gunship pilot so take it for what its worth but he is hard to kill and even when getting focused he can manage 60k plus damage. I've seen lots of other top tier pilots lately. If I named them all id run out of space. Drall-xus is republic though he has a seldom played imp under same name.

They need to make 1v1 dogfight matches, so we can see who the real aces are.

1v1 is meaningless though. That wouldn't show you who the real aces were, it would just show you who had mastered some duel tricks. Not an ace at all, just some tunnelhound.