This is how tradeskill window should look like (photoshopped screenshot)

celldoom

Actually i used Paint.NET: http://twitpic.com/9k48p0/full

That is how it should look, and trim down on alot of recipies in the list for a better navigation.

Mouseovering one of the icons in the table would give the tooltip, leftcliking would change the top section to the clicked item to include the rare mats when applicable (notice how the mats for prototype and artifact quality are greyed out in the premium quality schematic).

What do you think? :)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks great. I'm always irritated going back through trying to find what needs to RE'd to learn something, and 'greying' out ones you don't know yet helps to see just how much you have learned on 'x' schematic'

Bump for justice

100% approve of this post.

Can you draw something as well for when looking at the GTN, either changing the text color for schematics you already know, or even greying out the boxes of things you already know?

I absolutely HATE clicking the GTN, hitting search, finding something I am not 100% I have or not, clicking crew skills, my crafting skill, going through my list, finding out I already have it, then having to click back onto GTN and hitting search again since it is impossible to have both the GTN and your list of craftables up at the same time.

I am not fond of your suggestion.

Please note two things: 1) It is dramatically superior to what we have now, and 2) That doesn't, in any way, suggest your suggestion is wrong/bad.

For me, it doesn't show what I want to see easily. Personally, I am more interested in the artifact/purple schematics more, and would rather see them highlighted (on the list, and in the chart on the right) more than the base item.

However, I can not think of a way to get that within your system. At least not in any way that won't send everyone else running and screaming from the UI.

So, consider this post support for the suggested UI, but with hope of something a bit more in line for what I want to see personally. :-)

Filter via search field (name)

Most of the time I know the name of the thing which I want to craft.

It wasn't that I was looking for a specific schematic, but that I look for what needs to be worked on. I'd like that to be easy to see "at-a-glance," rather than click on each item to see how far I have researched up that tree.

100% approve of this post.

Can you draw something as well for when looking at the GTN, either changing the text color for schematics you already know, or even greying out the boxes of things you already know?

I absolutely HATE clicking the GTN, hitting search, finding something I am not 100% I have or not, clicking crew skills, my crafting skill, going through my list, finding out I already have it, then having to click back onto GTN and hitting search again since it is impossible to have both the GTN and your list of craftables up at the same time.

In the interface customisation window check "enable movable secondary window" and you can have all windows open at the same time.

Yup, this would be an improvement, mostly because it collapses the list so its shorter, the primary list becomes a type rather than a specific item. In the lastest QA they seemed to be saying the lag issues with crafters having too many schematics was a limitation stopping them from introducing more schematics - and this would help with that.

Its continuiing with his design example, (because its nice and clean) and expanded to handle orange schematics and style options.

For the visual people heres the link.

I've been thinking along similar lines for a while, and his post prompted me to put ideas to virtual paper. I'll try not to be to wordy.

Edit: Reading over it and I was to wordy, Also its been several months since the thread was started and I don't think anything like this will ever happen

There are a few posts from devs stating they would like to give crafters the ability to craft orange versions of anything but are runnning into limits with technology and useability. Its no surprise given that every piece has 21 schematics given the current RE process, add in orange and then style/colour options and I can see how that can become unmanagable.

Not just UI

There is one schematic, you unlock various options via R.E. Backend wise this would mean replacing 21 schematics with one schematic and a state on whats unlocked.

Given there is one schematic, this works with the currently available schematics. Just a mapping onto whats unlocked. For the schematics that dont have a green version atm (some blue and the orange) I would also unlock the green, I will explain why later.

With some planning the backend changes could be made before any UI changes occur. (If its already setup this way and scaling is a problem then there is no hope.) The prefixes(Overkill, Leaders etc) now just become a modifier on the base (green) stats and ingredients, adding another prefix or changing a prefixes behaviour/stats can now be done independant of the hoard of schematics.

Appearance

We know there are lots of colouring options for the armour pieces in the game, this gives us all those without increaing schematic complexity and even rewards discovering all schematics.

My image has style buttons at the bottom, my idea is as you unlock differnet schematics you unlock more style options. The example has a bit less than half unlocked so only two of the four style options are available, to get all the styles would require unlocking all the schematics. I think its a cool idea but I'm a completionist.

Also I have the "appearance tab" on the end, this is not a paste error but a way to visualise what your style options look like before crafting. This I think is essential, considering the types of armour to be crafted the piece on its own (something ala skyrim) would be better, this would finally give a way to preview weapons.

Not for this year

Im a developer, this is not a small change, this is epic. If I see anything like this before 2.x comes out I will eat my hat. Besides data migration there would be hooking in the style information and perhaps some content work (textures) to normalize the number of styles available However if one day (3.x maybe) SWTOR had this capability I would be a very happy crafter.

To all the developers keep up the good work. I hope you get the leeway to do the fundamental changes required rather than just change the UI.

Edited by LongGui

Thanks op for giving me the motivation, I swear I have been thinking of exactly the same thing for a while now.

I have expanded on your idea, and use your example as base in my post here.

Also good, but why create another topic with the same thing ? :( just post it here and delete the other since there's already a topic to discuss it