Did repair cost just go up?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very casual player and jump in as time allows. Have never enjoyed "grinding" and while I am content to work for things that I want in game I don't want to be forced to grind in order to even play. The fact that this thread alone is 28 pages long without a single gold response speaks loudly. Not a "we are looking into it" or "we will roll it back" or "sorry, deal with it". Nothing. Bugs all about the game, people posting hundreds of threads asking for fixes yet this supposed bug is addressed, why? Is there one single thread started in the forums saying "Please raise the cost of repairs", I rather doubt it. This kills the community, people need to post screen shots of players shouting for groups "experienced players only" I'm sure it's happening already. Repeatedly dropping pve quests in or right next to pvp zones. Space still largely ignored. Players still largely ignored.

I want to enjoy this game and at times I have. I've hung in there but decisions like this make me think of an old joke.

First man says to the second man: Why are you hitting your head against the wall over and over?

Second man responds: Because it feels so good when I stop

Think its time to stop hitting my head against the wall. Take care all.

From other forum,

This is it, and Why in a PvE server they want more people in pvp? this is stupid.

Do you people actually believe this was a bug? That's just their way of raising the cost without catching too much flak for it. My guess is that they feel there is too much money floating around with inflated prices of some things on the GTN. They're just trying to cause deflation. Other than that I see no reason for them to raise repair costs. Doesn't bother me much because we use guild funds for repairs on ops and I don't die much otherwise.

Do you people actually believe this was a bug? That's just their way of raising the cost without catching too much flak for it. My guess is that they feel there is too much money floating around with inflated prices of some things on the GTN. They're just trying to cause deflation. Other than that I see no reason for them to raise repair costs. Doesn't bother me much because we use guild funds for repairs on ops and I don't die much otherwise.

I don't think this is the whole story, on either side, but rather somewhere between the two. The penalty for death had become a joke, and repair costs had been reduced too far for their tastes. Costs are now considerably higher, but not as high as they had been in the past. It looks to me like they are trying to find a middle ground.

I think this whole issue would be solved by tapering the costs off at the higher end, the cost should not be hitting 100k for a single repair bill. I think they should also *strongly* consider reducing the amount of damage gear takes through normal wear and tear (i.e. when you aren't dying).

I can't say that I have noticed any kind of increase in repair cost, even on my melee characters who naturally take more damage. I'd say most of my repair bills are between 4,000 and 8,000, at most 10,000. Of course I don't really care all that much about repair cost and therefore don't pay them that much attention.

The interesting thing is, I believe the prices of Grade 27 stuff is driven by Molecular Stabilizers. Crafting for profit is general materials cost + hoped-for-profit.

When stabs are 150k each and Mando is 15k each, raw cost of a Grade 27 mod is approx 700k (including Durasteel/Zal Alloy). On Begeren Colony mods sell from 750k-1100k depending on competition.

Deflating the economy by removing credits (in the form of repair costs) isn't going to drive the Grade 27 mod prices down unless the price of stabs ALSO goes down. At least, this is what it seems to me.

Edited by Khevar

So you are saying you want easy mode with no consequences to death? Maybe BioWare should just sell Godmode code on the Cartel Market.

repair costs are the worst punishment for failure ever (besides losing gear)

thie same thing is happening in gw 2, costs are extremely high, pushed by devs

so you buy loot boxes on cartel market for real money until you get a rare item, then sell it for credits on gtn so that you can continue to play.

I dont have a better consequence, but money is not a good one. instead of punishing new players and people learnign the game, reward htose who manage a boss fight or Op without dieing once.

repeat: Reward skilled game, dont punish people who are learning and may wipe

I dont have a better consequence, but money is not a good one. instead of punishing new players and people learnign the game, reward htose who manage a boss fight or Op without dieing once.

repeat: Reward skilled game, dont punish people who are learning and may wipe

Repair cost are based on gear, so players without gear learning to play the game are not going to have that high of repair cost, by the time they have Rakata, BH, Campaign or DG, they should be past the new phase and have a understanding of their class, role and game mechanics.

I leveled a sawbones solo on my first toon in TOR, my first MMO when repair cost were higher and before they nerfed some of the class missions. I did reach a point on Tatooine where I had to farm for credits for repair cost because I died so many times at the Lightspring Class quest. However, I did not look at it as punishment, I looked at it as teaching me to be a decent player. I learned not to play the game like your typical FPS. I stopped walking into the middle of a room and just killing everything. I learned to use interrupts, I learned to gear my companions, I learned to use defensive cooldown, I learned to get out of AoEs, I learned to use CCs and the rest of my abilities to my advantage. Without some consequences there really is no incentive to get better.

Trust me the other night when I was doing HM EC on fairly geared alt I was more than a little upset every time I brought the repair droid out. It also made it really difficult to pass on everything, but I not really going to worry about it. I will play the game until it isn't fun any more. I don't make money from crafting, I make stuff and give it away to people in the guild, I don't farm flash point or Ops. I pass 90% of the time unless in my regular progression group. I get my credits from farming dailies on two dps toons and doing daily flash points and weeklies on my sawbones. When I can't casually make over a million a week doing this, I will moan about something as superficial as a increase in repair cost.

Love the Both fanbois answers above, ok, FYI: you never going to have tier level 63, because almost all the guilds stop the progressions, op, hfp, hm, etc. and in my situation, if i see a new or yellow armor in a hard fp or op, i going to kick it fast as the light, last night 2 wipes was near 1 million, so, if you mistake you are out of the op, so you never going to reach the final boss, never going to learn, and of course, never going to have the commendations and boxes for the tiers, so, wellcome, "casual" players is the game, the "no life" players are few, and 1000$ don't keep a server up man, so fanbois == nothing. My guild and local friends going to vote to unsubscribe today, they are 75 total, plus me, 76, I hope this fanbois who post above, can pay the 1140$ month plus 600$ of pre order new crap. And that's me and my friends, If you read the threads about repair prices, there is a lot more guilds and customers removing subscription, so if you pay the 6,000$ at month for play alone this game, good for you, I'm sure you going to miss casual players then. Edited by Kiniski

If you're farming dailies on two characters and running flashpoints on a third, your play is anything but casual.
just doing BH and Ilum, plus 1 flashpint. Less than a hour a night and don't even do that every night. Yes, it is very casual.

Cost were more before the repair cost got nerfed. Even then if you are paying 1 million for repair cost, then you need to learn to play the game.

Defensive cooldowns, CC's and interupts cost nothing to use, learn to use them and look at your repair cost then. :rolleyes:

FYI: you never going to have tier level 63, because almost all the guilds stop the progressions, op, hfp, hm, etc..
We did them before the repair cost was lowered, we did them after the price was lowered and we wil do them now. My repair cost haven't been high enough to matter, but then again I try not to take avoidable damage and netiher does most of my guild. We have a very good teachers. Plus I already have largely 63 gear on the two toons I use in raids. Edited by mikebevo

I died once doing the SM Op on Ilum for the Gree Event and my repair bill was 20k credits. I was shocked to say the least. This was on my tank.

Maybe this is a deterrent from bad players playing bad in HM's and Ops. Of course it makes the whole team suffer.

just doing BH and Ilum, plus 1 flashpint. Less than a hour a night and don't even do that every night. Yes, it is very casual.

Cost were more before the repair cost got nerfed. Even then if you are paying 1 million for repair cost, then you need to learn to play the game.

Defensive cooldowns, CC's and interupts cost nothing to use, learn to use them and look at your repair cost then. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm sure CCs and interrupts are really going to lower my repair-bills when we're doing progression-raiding...

Yeah I'd love you to tell me what I'm supposed to interrupt in EC.

You have to be trolling because if you are serious then you have never been in HM EC or NiM EC. I am going with you are just trolling.

But just in case you are serious

1. calibrating shot

2. Cleave

3. Overload

Edited by mikebevo

Yeah I'd love you to tell me what I'm supposed to interrupt in EC.

Probably the Seige droids. Just a thought though. :rolleyes:

Regardless, yes, it would be nice to have low repair costs, but this much of a public outcry is completely unwarranted. People have this mindset that if they make a huge fit about something it'll change and make them happier rather than being logical, calm adults. This truly is the scum of MMO Forum garbage at it's best. (not you specifically, just the extremely negative posts here in general)

Edited by Dragonbgone

Items and Economy

General

Item sell values and item repair costs now reflect the value of the items and any enhancements attached to them. Previously, items were incorrectly being valued without their enhancements.

How I read this is that now if your gear has augments on them that the augments factor in to the repair bill.

You have to be trolling because if you are serious then you have never been in HM EC or NiM EC. I am going with you are just trolling.

But just in case you are serious

1. calibrating shot

2. Cleave

3. Overload

Right now we're at TFB HM because we stopped raiding for about 3 months due to one of our tanks being hospitalized, so we're a bit slow.

Please list the abilities from Kephess and TfB that can be interrupted, also Z+T and FB+SC.

Also unless it's been changed Overload is uninterruptible in EC NiM afaik.

Calibrating Shot is a no-brainer and I'm not saying that you shouldn't use interrupts. You have to, but most of the time there are situations in ops that will wipe you that have nothing to do with interrupt or CC...

So you are saying you want easy mode with no consequences to death? Maybe BioWare should just sell Godmode code on the Cartel Market.

There is a difference I believe between consequences, and making it extremely difficult for some guilds to complete progression level raiding. I believe we have crossed that line with this recent "fix". It is going to stymie raid progression among a TON of guilds. Maybe this is intended to slow raid progression among players and keep them subscribing but honestly thats a pretty crappy mechanic to put in place in order to keep people subbed.

Edited by Brittaany_Banks

Moving the goal post far?

I never wrote anything about Kephess needing to be interrupted, I also never wrote anything about Zorn and Toth and Firebrand and Stormcaller. I never wrote interrupts should be used all the time. There are even times when you can interrupt something, you shouldn’t interrupt some things (you want one specific I can think of off the top of my head – Trash pulls in EC). However, if you use interrupts (when needed and appropriate), use CC’s (again where needed and appropriate) and use defensive cooldowns (again nice if you know the fight and don’t use up you defensive cooldown right before a lighting phase or right before you are doomed) then you can substantially lower your repair cost. (cannot believe I have to be so exact on comments for stuff anyone in a progression group should know).

Edited by mikebevo

Moving the goal post far?

You're in no position to complain about dishonest argumentation.

Incidentally, since you seem to be taking a ProerThanThou approach to things, when exactly did you clear NiEC?

Edited by mxlm

Sorry should know sarcasm and the internet don't mix.

Incidentally, since you seem to be taking a ProerThanThou approach to things,
I have taken no such approach. TOR is my first MMO. It is my first time healing in any type of game. I was the worse healer in the history of TOR when I leveled and hit level 50 and started group play. I died more times than I can count leveling. At the time repair cost were even higher than they are now. So I know if I can do it, then 99.999999% of anyone in the game can do it. Now I can level a toon and count on my hands how many times I die while leveling. Not bragging, has nothing to do with my skill as a player, it has to do with experience in the game, knowing how to gear and learning about my toons abilities.

when exactly did you clear NiEC?
Never wrote I had.

I have cleared HM TfB a few times with other groups, but my main group is on Terror (haven't even attempted final boss yet).

I have also been in NiM EC with two other groups, but combined I have seen three boss fights and only cleared two bosses and I did cause at least two wipes on my own while in there the first time. So I have studied all the fights to make sure I do not do that again. First time in I was a last moment replacement healer, so I was not prepared. Second and third time I was there I was still last min replacement, but I was prepared.

Edited by mikebevo

Incidentally, since you seem to be taking a ProerThanThou approach to things, when exactly did you clear NiEC?

Did you notice mike was arguing with a player snidely proclaiming "Yeah I'd love you to tell me what I'm supposed to interrupt in EC" in response to a valid point that using interrupts will help reduce repair cost?

What weird interpretation turned that into "ProerThanThou"?