If Anthem Fails will SWTOR go down with it?

Decxswx

I am legit worried about the status of SWTOR, this game is declining due to self inflicted wounds by Bioware. There hasn't been an expansion almost 2 years I think. Another one of their senior devs left yesterday I think that worked on this game.

I don't know what happened with mass effect andromeda, but certainly that game commercial performance has effected the development of this one. If Bioware put as much time onto swtor as Blizzard does onto WOW this game would've been a lot more popular than it is now.

Another big Issue is this STUPID level shifting and the need to be in a group to do operations. I want to find people to help me do this mission or world boss, but if there is no one around for me to play with(because it is a dying game because Bioware stabbed themselves in the foot) then that is content locked out by no fault of my own especially on the republic side. So either let us do OPS and world bosses solo or with at least fewer people like 2 for ops and 4 for world bosses. or get rid of level shifting.

Also i play on satele shan is it worth switching all my chartacters over to Star forge?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh look another one.

This has been addressed ad nauseum (Anthem, level sync and low population numbers). I recommend taking the rant over to those threads.

And the solo/lower group size suggestion can go in suggestion box. While I like it, expect to get the group folks in there in full force complaining about how hard it'll be to get a group if people can do it solo. They did for FP.

I’ve been on a huge SWTOR binge lately. I just missed it, I guess. Rolled a new character and everything. Grouping has been a pain, but for different reasons than you. Star Forge is teaming with people. Even pub side. The starter worlds have well over a hundred people on them and other planets like Taris have near those numbers. Even at like 3:00 in the morning PST Taris has like 30-40 people on it. I have zero toons on SS so I don’t know what it’s like there, but Star Forge is pretty busy it seems. On both sides.

As for your topic, it’s not just SWTOR that is in danger, but BioWare itself. If Anthem fails, the company likely gets shutdown.

But at this point, WHO CARES??? Do you enjoy this game? If the answer is yes, then login, play it and have fun.

If the answer to that is no, then it won’t matter to you what happens to this game. Just like in real life, people are far too worried about things they have no control over. And are overly concerned about what everyone else is doing.

Play the game, or don’t. Life is simple.

yes i hope so, then maybe we can get a kotor prequel/sequel by someone else, or a new star wars mmo in development that might be ready in about 4-6 years. I love swtor but they have let this game die since the very beginning, never wanted to invest in or stand by their product.. same thing they did with andromeda. Anthem will be a hit though, I have a gut feeling about it. So don't worry too much. this game is only on a quarter tank of gas left though so be mindful.

yes i hope so, then maybe we can get a kotor prequel/sequel by someone else, or a new star wars mmo in development that might be ready in about 4-6 years. I love swtor but they have let this game die since the very beginning, never wanted to invest in or stand by their product.. same thing they did with andromeda. Anthem will be a hit though, I have a gut feeling about it. So don't worry too much. this game is only on a quarter tank of gas left though so be mindful.

Honestly I do not want another SW MMO created by EA. Do you really think another MMO would be given any more support then Swtor was? I'd rather hope for Disney to shop the license to someone else whenever it expires (I may be wrong but I think the current contract lasts until 2023). Have the company that gets the license next try a SW MMO instead and hope EA doesn't get a 2nd contract.

Edit: besides I still enjoy this game, and have no issues finding groups when I'm looking to do Operations (far less these days).

Edited by Toraak

yes i hope so, then maybe we can get a kotor prequel/sequel by someone else, or a new star wars mmo in development that might be ready in about 4-6 years.

Seriously doubt you'll ever see another SW MMO ever again.. So you had better learn to love this one.

yes i hope so, then maybe we can get a kotor prequel/sequel by someone else, or a new star wars mmo in development that might be ready in about 4-6 years.

Pipe dreams... belong in.... pipes.

I love swtor but they have let this game die since the very beginning, never wanted to invest in or stand by their product.. same thing they did with andromeda.

SWTOR is approaching 7 years of age since release. Regardless of any complaints player may have about the game (and I think everyone has personal wants and pet peeves) the game continues along and the servers are active.

Will it end someday? Sure... all games end some day. Until then... log in and play it if you like it and if you don't find something you do actually enjoy playing

Edited by Andryah

Seriously doubt you'll ever see another SW MMO ever again.. So you had better learn to love this one.

Learn to love this game? I've been playing swtor since early closed beta.. me and this game may have loved each other at one point, but our relationship is like one that has lasted a little too long, maybe got married, but are really truly not in love with each other anymore and hope one day you will find someone, something new that reignites your feelings all over again (before you are too old). Now some people will just stick with old faithful, and some people with realize the sea has an unlimited amount of fish in it that all want to be loved just the same.

Which are you?

Neither, obviously I'm the one that comes crying back to old faithful to take me back after I tread the waters a little bit, but somehow she always manages to forgive me :( Now i'm just holding out until she dies of old age, so I can collect the life insurance policy and run off in my Deluxe BASS BOAT 2000 to catch my next one.:o

This game is a part of EA and will not fail due to another games failure. The money is there to run this game if it's profitable on it's own. Anthem won't change that.

And what about the Studio at Austin? Will EA keep paying for such a big office and infrastructure just to house a very small swtor support team?

If Anthem fails and EA gut the Anthem team (like they’ve done many times in the past, aka swtor), they will have empty offices and unused equipment just sitting there.

EA is essentially run by accounts and spreadsheet managers. The first thing they’ll look at if Anthem fails is how to cut costs.

Anthem doesn’t even need to “fail” as far as losing money. If Anthem doesn’t return on investment within the first few months, EA will probably consider it a fail regardless, which is what they did with swtor. They gutted the team and pulled funding, then switch to a F2P model with in months.

Sadly swtor had paid for itself in the first 3 months after launch, but that wasn’t good enough for EA and they just left swtor to die off to the state it’s in now.

Swtor was supposed to be the next massive game, it had even bigger hype and expectations than Anthem. There is zero reason they wouldn’t treat Anthem exactly the same as swtor if they don’t hit EAs expectations in the first few months.

Sadly, EA have put all of Bioware Austin’s eggs in one basket because they’ve let swtor diminish to this sad state it currently is. If EA had still supported swtor properly, the game would be making them a truck load of money and then if Anthem failed, it wouldn’t hurt Bioware Austin that bad. But nearly all of Austin is there to support or work on Anthem, if it fails, Austin fails, which means shutting the studio. If they shut the studio then swtor loses the last remaining support staff it has.

Therefore, if Anthem fail and Austin gets shut, you can basically say good bye to swtor.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I don’t think you understand the seriousness of the situation for Bioware. If Anthem fails, there probably won’t be a Bioware studio anymore, which means there won’t be anymore swtor, kotor or anything you “think” you want them to produce.

No studio means no games, period.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Oh hey look, its another "swtor dying" thread, how surprising.

And the same people posting in it as well.

I guess that's no surprise. It's the same handful of people who keep trying to convince everyone the game is dying because they are negatively impacted by some aspect. They care little for those who aren't having problems and usually attack them as "lying"

Edited by DWho

I don’t think you understand the seriousness of the situation for Bioware. If Anthem fails, there probably won’t be a Bioware studio anymore, which means there won’t be anymore swtor, kotor or anything you “think” you want them to produce.

Hey man or madam did you read my comment, i said anthem is going to be a success, a hit, no less.. and I'm not joking, my gut feeling is always right. (usually) So don't worry about bioware.

I think any time a studio invests a lot into a product, and that product fails, other projects can suffer. It’s pretty obvious. Disney diversified, EA diversified, so no one lemon will tank the whole shebang, but I certainly don’t wish for it to fail. I watched Ben Irving’s gameplay trailer from E3 on Anthem. Lore wise, it reminds me of our efforts in SWTOR to recover Iokath tech or Rakata tech or Gree tech.... so not new ground, and it’s missing spaceships and lightsabers and the Force. Gameplay wise, those Combos remind me of DCUO... is Anthem just for PC or will it be console too? Either way I can’t imagine it drawing me away from SWTOR despite the spectacular graphics. But I’m a one game at a time kind of person anyway. I wish them all the best.

Hey man or madam did you read my comment, i said anthem is going to be a success, a hit, no less.. and I'm not joking, my gut feeling is always right. (usually) So don't worry about bioware.

I think that is wishful thinking. But considering the title of the thread is “If Anthem fails will swtor go down with it?”, my comments about your post are still relevant because it’s a “what if” question. Not, “will Anthem fail”.

I did hear that Bioware invested so much in Anthem that if Anthem fails, Bioware dies with it. I don't know if that would apply to Swtor because it's a different studio, isn't it?

Nope, they are in the same Building in Austin TX. aka, same studio.

Lots of the swtor guys were even pulled of swtor to go work at Anthem. If Anthem fails, I highly doubt EA will pay those same people to just move back to swtor to keep their jobs when they can see swtor chugging along without them (even as it declines more) and still staying above cost.

I think any time a studio invests a lot into a product, and that product fails, other projects can suffer. It’s pretty obvious. Disney diversified, EA diversified, so no one lemon will tank the whole shebang, but I certainly don’t wish for it to fail. I watched Ben Irving’s gameplay trailer from E3 on Anthem. Lore wise, it reminds me of our efforts in SWTOR to recover Iokath tech or Rakata tech or Gree tech.... so not new ground, and it’s missing spaceships and lightsabers and the Force. Gameplay wise, those Combos remind me of DCUO... is Anthem just for PC or will it be console too? Either way I can’t imagine it drawing me away from SWTOR despite the spectacular graphics. But I’m a one game at a time kind of person anyway. I wish them all the best.

If Ben Irving’s involved, then it will “be exciting” for all the wrong reasons ;)

Edited by TrixxieTriss

LOTRO managed to get better when a new studio got their hands on it in year 9 or 10. In this case, even if Bioware Austin shut down, it could go to Bioware Canada or any other EA studio.

This to me seems like deja vu.

A long time ago I played MxO (Matrix on Line) My 1st MMO

SOE started moving all the people from MxO over to work on their newest next best thing "The Agency"

MxO was a niche game. In the end with 'everyone' working on the Agency, the staff maintaining MxO was pitiful small, with no new almost everything, people were leaving like rats on a sinking ship. The game was shuttered July 31, 2009.

Not two years later on March 31, 2011, production was discontinued on The Agency after the closure of SOE's Seattle studio, and two other studios. The Agency never had a chance to fail, corporate card shuffling killed it before it was released, but the transfer of personal away from one game to work on another ended up with two games gone.

So, long story longer, you never know when a game will close. I thought Tabula Rasa was a great game. Gone in the twinkling of an eye. Enjoy what you have while you have it, whatever it is. Look to the strengths and try to over look weaknesses. I once had a Mustang Cobra. Strength - went fast. Weakness - couldn't pass two service stations in a row. For me back then the strength outweighed the weakness, now many years older I drive a Mazda:rolleyes:

LOTRO managed to get better when a new studio got their hands on it in year 9 or 10. In this case, even if Bioware Austin shut down, it could go to Bioware Canada or any other EA studio.

While possible, I doubt it because the game has been so customised from the original engine and coding, that they would need months of training with people who knew what was what.

It’s not like LOTRO who had a good game engine to start with and didn’t buy an alpha version and customise it so much that even the engine makers can’t help them. It’s why this game has always been limited and why the current engine is crap.

Bioware shot themselves in the foot (like they always do) by using the alpha version of the engine because later version of the hero engine are perfectly fine and hero give ongoing support to their clients. They can’t do that with swtor because it’s basically a whole different engine. Hero can’t even offer patch or updates. Who ever made that decision was mentally challenged.

Edited by TrixxieTriss