Anyone else a massive fan of Doctor Who?

Cyberwoman

As I said before in the my last post, I only watched the new seasons and out of them, the only episodes that had scared me even a little was the ones when they were on that Library planet. Those were definitely the scariest episodes ever from Doctor Who.

No I mean't the first episode they appeared in , episode 10 series 3 from 2007 called "Blink" , if you haven't seen it go watch it and tell me it didn't scare you one little bit.

Also the world war one with the kids in gas masks wasn't too joyful either " Are you my mummy , where is my mummy *put's hand through letter box*" omg waaaaaaa!

Cheers,

BadOrb.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to see there are quite a few of us Whovians! :)

The latest half season made me stop watching, the new companion Clara only serves as a jerk off toy for fanboys, she's terrible.

I actually think shes a rather good character. I think its a bit of a shame that the who 'impossible girl' arc has overshadowed her introduction, hopefully from now on they can concentrate on her character. I certainly think she is better then some companions, such as Rose. Do you mean Series 7b? It has its critics, but there are some wonderful episodes, such as the epic The Name of the Doctor and the wonderfully gothic Hide.

No I mean't the first episode they appeared in , episode 10 series 3 from 2007 called "Blink" , if you haven't seen it go watch it and tell me it didn't scare you one little bit.

Also the world war one with the kids in gas masks wasn't too joyful either " Are you my mummy , where is my mummy *put's hand through letter box*" omg waaaaaaa!

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Steven Moffat is a master of creating Doctor Who monsters. The Weeping Angel, The Silence, Gas Mask monsters, Vashta Nerada, all wonderful horror monsters.

When I was a kid, the only Doctor Who monster that really scared me was the Cybermen, specifically the Troughton era ones. They were like zombies, and what scared me most was the fact that they didn't kill you, they turn you in to one of them, a mindless killer. Its such a shame the new era Cybermen haven't concentrated on this feature (Although I think Neil Gaiman did a good job of reinventing them in Nightmare in Silver). I was also rather frightened of Light, from my favorite classic series story Ghost Light.

Edited by Cyberwoman

Yes the question was answered. River actually answered it. I honestly think that there will be something more to do with Trenzalore because there were no fields at all it was a complete graveyard. I think that we will see a revisit to Trenzalore with the question being asked again, I think that is what will start everything that turns Trenzalore into what it was in that episode.

I think the only reason there was no mention of the silence was because the Great Intelligence was at Trenzalore.

That's kind of what I'm thinking. I kind of think that the question was asked, it's just that the Silence thinks the Doctor is dead. The question opened the tomb, which lead the Doctor to see his former self for the 50th anniversary episode. This chain reaction could be what creates the situation that the Silence didn't want. But I think the 11th would have to go back to Trenzalore, as it was kind of hinted that he would "die" there.

Edited by Alavastre

Glad to see there are quite a few of us Whovians! :)

I actually think shes a rather good character. I think its a bit of a shame that the who 'impossible girl' arc has overshadowed her introduction, hopefully from now on they can concentrate on her character. I certainly think she is better then some companions, such as Rose. Do you mean Series 7b? It has its critics, but there are some wonderful episodes, such as the epic The Name of the Doctor and the wonderfully gothic Hide.

Steven Moffat is a master of creating Doctor Who monsters. The Weeping Angel, The Silence, Gas Mask monsters, Vashta Nerada, all wonderful horror monsters.

When I was a kid, the only Doctor Who monster that really scared me was the Cybermen, specifically the Troughton era ones. They were like zombies, and what scared me most was the fact that they didn't kill you, they turn you in to one of them, a mindless killer. Its such a shame the new era Cybermen haven't concentrated on this feature (Although I think Neil Gaiman did a good job of reinventing them in Nightmare in Silver). I was also rather frightened of Light, from my favorite classic series story Ghost Light.

Steven Moffat used to be a colleague of my brother at work :) , I agree he has created some scary monsters , the silence you mention are quite frightening too.

Remember when they re-introduced the Dalek's , when they ran up some stairs and thought they where safe ? I used to play such Dalek games as a child and when I saw them fly up the stairs It broke all the rules of safely running away from them as a kid ( in my mind ).

My favourite companion has to be K-9 , so wish he would come back again.

Is everyone looking forward to the 50th anniversary episode ? Tenant and Piper are supposed to be in it .

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Steven Moffat used to be a colleague of my brother at work :) , I agree he has created some scary monsters , the silence you mention are quite frightening too.

Remember when they re-introduced the Dalek's , when they ran up some stairs and thought they where safe ? I used to play such Dalek games as a child and when I saw them fly up the stairs It broke all the rules of safely running away from them as a kid ( in my mind ).

My favourite companion has to be K-9 , so wish he would come back again.

Is everyone looking forward to the 50th anniversary episode ? Tenant and Piper are supposed to be in it .

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Um yes. Though I was very disappointed in Series 7, I am psyched about the 50th anniversary show. I need to make a Doctor Who get together for the 50th.

Also, with Moffat saying we shouldn't believe everything we've heard/read, I'm thinking maybe Eccleston will be a part of it. That is what I take from his comments. Of course that is a long shot, considering his chilly disposition to ever returning to Doctor Who.

Um yes. Though I was very disappointed in Series 7, I am psyched about the 50th anniversary show. I need to make a Doctor Who get together for the 50th.

Also, with Moffat saying we shouldn't believe everything we've heard/read, I'm thinking maybe Eccleston will be a part of it. That is what I take from his comments. Of course that is a long shot, considering his chilly disposition to ever returning to Doctor Who.

If Eccleston is in it too that would be amazing , such a shame our Northern Dr. only stayed for 1 series.

A little off topic but doesn't Eccleston voice an NPC or two in SWTOR ? One of them is on imperial Taris , he is the guy who thinks the place is bugged and sends you on a mission , if it's not him then his voice is very close so must also be from Salford :)

K-9 should be in it , please?

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Edited by BadOrb

If Eccleston is in it too that would be amazing , such a shame our Northern Dr. only stayed for 1 series.

A little off topic but doesn't Eccleston voice an NPC or two in SWTOR ? One of them is on imperial Taris , he is the guy who thinks the place is bugged and sends you on a mission , if it's not him then his voice is very close so must also be from Salford :)

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Haha, "lots of planets have a North!"

K-9 was in the Sarah Jane chronicles I believe. So it's possible he will be apart of the 50th. Don't know. It would be hard to cram everything into one show I would imagine.

Back in my teenage years in the 80's it was a Friday sometime between 10:30 and 11pm. I was watching the tonight show (I think) and was bored so I just took hold of the handle of the channel changer knob and gave it a sharp spin. I think remotes where just coming out and we didn't have one. Anyway, it landed on PBS and there was some older guy laughing that looked like he was in a spaceship. I thought "WTH is this?' so I watched it a little longer, Then I saw some guy with a long scarf, a woman, and some robotic dog shooting things and really had no clue what was gong on. The guy with the scarf and the woman jumped through some picture that was part of a alien landscape after turning on some sort of gun device. That was how I was introduced to Doctor Who with the story Nightmare of Eden.

Every weeknight between 10:30 and 11 PBS would air one half hour episode. Since internet wasn't really around I had to find information about the show at the local bookstore. I still have a beat-up magazine that talks about Peter Davison leaving and Colin Baker taking his place.

Over the years after I was able to see all of the other Doctors. Even trudged through the 6th which I never liked and the first part of the 7th until he came into his own. I have most of the DVD's that have been released so far from the classic series.

I do like what they have done since it came back though I do wish the companions would be treated better when they leave. Donna is my favorite companion and the way she was treated when she left....... I did almost stop watching it though because they kept centering around earth and the human race. Also the 'get of of jail free card'... I mean the sonic screwdriver. The classic series did not do that. But then 'Blink' happened and I have not thought about not watching it again.

I have had no trouble dealing with any of the regenerations since I am used to it. I do feel that part of Matt Smiths departure might be that he hated seeing Amy and Rory go, but that's just speculation. What I understand about Clara is that the Victorian Clara was actually supposed to be the companion. I would have liked that better. The Clara seems a little too 'gung-ho' and I don't see much (well any) room for character growth.

I am very much looking forward to the 50th anniversary episode though I thought Moffet was going to do a season long celebration and not just one episode like I have been hearing the last couple of months.

Haha, "lots of planets have a North!"

K-9 was in the Sarah Jane chronicles I believe. So it's possible he will be apart of the 50th. Don't know. It would be hard to cram everything into one show I would imagine.

Moffat had stated it is not about nostalgia and reunions but that it is about moving forward into the future of the series.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

With the way Eccleston left the series I can't imagine him coming back. Which is part of the reason I believe john hurt is there. Having Tennant and Smith there without Eccleston there certainly points to the idea of john hurt filling that void. Lots of speculation about john hurt being the doctor that created The Moment and Time locked Gallifrey effectively ending the Time lords for good.

Seeing the chronicles of the 8th doctor in the magazines and comics makes him am incredibly dark and twisted character to deal with.

Moffat had stated it is not about nostalgia and reunions but that it is about moving forward into the future of the series.

But he also said don't believe everything you hear. I doubt K-9 will be apart of it, that was just a response to another post.

Also, I got my Doctor Who 50th party planned. Well, we started to plan it. Should be fun.

• 3 weeks later...
Exciting news, the 12th Doctor will be revealed on a special program this Sunday on BBC One and simulcast on BBC America!

Looking forward to it! :i_angel:

Ah, you beat me to it. Can't wait. This will be interesting.

I can see into the future!

P1: This new guys sucks!

P2: I wish Matt Smith was staying.

P3: None of them are as good as Tennant.

Ah, you beat me to it. Can't wait. This will be interesting.

I can see into the future!

P1: This new guys sucks!

P2: I wish Matt Smith was staying.

P3: None of them are as good as Tennant.

Isn't that how the fandom always deals with new doctors. :o

Isn't that how the fandom always deals with new doctors. :o

Yep.

New Doctors are always treated with suspicion and raised eyebrows as they declare the old Doctor the best, before the new Doctor is accepted this new one to the family, and then the grieve as this Doctor leaves. The new Doctor is treated with suspicion and raised eyebrows as they declare the old Doctor the best, before the new Doctor is accepted etc . . .

The same goes for writer of the series as well. Fandom is rather predictable with its cycles! :i_angel:

Peter Capaldi.

What a wonderful choice for number 12.

But I still hope 13 is a Lady. The Doctor could use a feminine touch.

Peter Capaldi - A perfect veteran actor for the role. Also another Scotsman at the helm.

No to a female Doctor though. He is a man and has always been a man and should remain a man. If it was reversed and a female had played the Doctor for 50 years, it would never even be considered to let a man play the role. Damn Moffat for adding in that throwaway line.

We really need to stop messing with established characters (looking at you Elementary)

Peter Capaldi - A perfect veteran actor for the role. Also another Scotsman at the helm.

No to a female Doctor though. He is a man and has always been a man and should remain a man. If it was reversed and a female had played the Doctor for 50 years, it would never even be considered to let a man play the role. Damn Moffat for adding in that throwaway line.

We really need to stop messing with established characters (looking at you Elementary)

Why not? Time Lords have been known to change genders during regenerations. It's an established biological function that has happened to other Time Lords. As long as the Doctor remains a hero and a savior, should it matter the gender? What is so wrong about a Time Lady taking the reins?

Peter Capaldi, a wonderful choice. He is a fantastic actor and has a clear love of the show (He was in The Fires of Pompeii and the amazing Torchwood: Children of Earth) I will miss Matt deeply, but I have a good feeling about Doctor number Twelve! :i_angel:

Well it is an established fact of the show that Time Lords can regenerate in to women (It was Neil Gaiman who really introduced it in to canon, although the idea has existed since Tom Baker's time) but more importantly, there is no aspect of the Doctor that is gender specific. I mean, what it is about being an eccentric time-traveling alien who saves the universe from evil and destruction that means it must be played by a man?

I'm not saying it must be played by a woman, but I just don't see why a female Doctor would not work, or why female actresses should be ignored. I didn't really think we would have one this time, but I think Doctor number 13 . . . that could be a different story.

Edited by Cyberwoman

As long as the Doctor isn't written by Stefen Moffat, his depictions of the female companions have been somewhat problematic.

I do miss Ten and Donna running around the Universe being awesome best friends. Moffat seems to think you can't have a close relationship between a man and a woman without there being a weird romantic undertone, and that's just the start.

But hey, Twelve isn't a bully. He's so much worse than that :p

Edited by Tatile