Defending against force users, AoE, incinerate etc.

AnjyBelle

Currently my lvl 30 Jedi Sentinel seems to be weak. On Alderan she does good against melee and normal ranged mobs, but takes loads of damage against force users, such as the "Sith Sorceror".

I specced the middle tree for pure damage. One of the perks there (IIRC 2nd row from the bottom) should give her the ability to dodge AoE-attacks by leaping backwards, the "defensive roll". I've yet to see this, especially when a heavy droid starts with grenades and stuff.

She also seems to be helpless against mobs who have sort of incinerating attacks.

In every MMO and SP-RPG mobs and our characters can develop so called immunities and resistances. I failed to see these for my Jedi yet.

As a sidenote, the gear for my Jedi might not be "the best", but at least is's good. Only prototype stuff (blue) and the highets possible blue mods.

Perhaps a "pure DPS" should be this fragile? Did I miss something or will there be skills/perks/mods later, which give a basic protection against said attacks?

Edited by AnjyBelle

Currently my lvl 30 Jedi Sentinel seems to be weak. On Alderan she does good against melee and normal ranged mobs, but takes loads of damage against force users, such as the "Sith Sorceror".

I specced the middle tree for pure damage. One of the perks there (IIRC 2nd row from the bottom) should give her the ability to dodge AoE-attacks by leaping backwards, the "defensive roll". I've yet to see this, especially when a heavy droid starts with grenades and stuff.

That is just a passive bonus that reduces incoming damage from AoEs. You won't actually see your character do a roll or anything like that. When you take damage from an AoE, it is reduced by 15/30% (depending on how many points you put into it).

She also seems to be helpless against mobs who have sort of incinerating attacks.

In every MMO and SP-RPG mobs and our characters can develop so called immunities and resistances. I failed to see these for my Jedi yet.

As a sidenote, the gear for my Jedi might not be "the best", but at least is's good. Only prototype stuff (blue) and the highets possible blue mods.

Perhaps a "pure DPS" should be this fragile? Did I miss something or will there be skills/perks/mods later, which give a basic protection against said attacks?

As a DPS character in medium armor, you are certainly more squishy than something like a Guardian, especially one spec'd for Tanking. That said, what you are experiencing is damage from special attacks, which do unusual types of damage. Most damage in the game is kinetic or energy, which can be absorbed by your basic armor stat. Damage from attacks from Jedi or bombs (which are Force and Tech) do not get absorbed by this. You would need armor that provides you with protection from these types of damage, which would (honestly) be a waste for a DPS character.

The vast majority of AoE effects in the game create markers on the ground before the damage. Make sure you watch for these and move well out of them before the attack. Not just out of where you see the marker, but give it an extra couple yards for good measure. As far as other attacks go, try to interrupt things like Force Lightning or Flamethrower from enemies. Interrupting attacks makes a tremendous difference when it comes to the amount of damage you take.

• 1 year later...

Some can't be interrupted as it's just part of their natural attack pattern and requires absolutely no charging/channeling time for them. That's when you just deal with it and pop defensive skills.

For the most part though, watch for enemy "channeling/charging" bar. For example, on those Droids that fire rockets, you'll typically see a channeling bar that slowly decreases called something like "Rocket Fan" (don't remember specific). The moment you see that bar come up, use your Classes interrupt skill, in this case, Force Kick. That will interrupt their channeled action so you don't take gobs of damage.

In some instances, the enemy REALLY wants to do that action, so you're going to get hit at least once with their attack. Example: Some later troopers will use Grav Cannon. It sucks (no pun intended) so you interrupt. Well...he'll try to do it again, only his recycle time is faster (i.e. instead of trying it every 10 seconds...he's trying every 8) and faster until finally, he WILL beat your cooldown timer for your interrupt. Also, in some instances, the enemy may have two versions of, basically, the same attack. Rocket Fan vs Rocket Strike (or something like that). One will focus on the tank, while the other will hit all your allies....and they cycle back to back so you can only interrupt 1 dependably. That's when you start looking at your team for help or looking at your other abilities like Force Stasis.

You start timing your different interrupts with their attacks and then pretty soon...your taking out Elites at your level with no companion support because you know when to interrupt and what skills to interrupt with.