Proverbial chat on sorc's in pvp

Xertasian

rarely do i start post, so here goes..got my sorc 306 min/max..playing around with all 3 specs..i been playing since beta..overall i say sorcs about 90% in a good spot will all specs..the 10% is what i'm adressing..for starters they dont need anymore buffs to dps or heals and no dcd's..

still sorc's have a problem of getting out of tight jams..phase walk is good but have cd..force barrier then after you is focus..the fix to it is very simple..actually this was with the sorc/sage classes before Bioware went nerf city..gonna break down all 3 specs and reason for the help to class..

madness spec make whirlwind instant cast without utility..it was like this before..only madness spec get it..this will give the sorc the oh geez way out on things..it don't affect the class..

lightning spec..make electrocute 35 meters as it was before..only for lightning spec..reason is why you gonna have a long range class with a 10 meter stun..defeating the purpose..again this wont break the class..will let the sorc get away if he got a range class focusing him..

corruption spec..make overload have it 360 knock back radius at it was before..only for corruption spec..reason being the sorc getting focus from all angles is hard to deal with it..the 360 knock back will give it time to plan a counter or just run..again this don't break the class..

these little tweeks is not major or is it some kind of new idea..since sorcs had these skills already..now with all the stuff other classes have at there disposal..it time to put sorcs back to where they were at the start..

lastly take away phase walk and give it back to the sin..cause with these changes on cc control it's not needed..i gonna leave it here..other people can comment give there ideas..maybe somebody might know a better way than me..let keep things civil..

I dig the idea of giving madness the insta whirlwind without using utility points, i always spec into it because it's so handy, would be nice to free up a point.

I also miss the old 360 knockback, that animation was much better imo.

The old knockback was so damn short though. I think having it as a conal/frontal, but with longer reach, was a good change. Yes, I still get frustrated periodically when a lag spike makes me look like a newb and I point it the wrong way, but overall it works better.

I do miss the instant WW.

And of course the wider radius on Death Field. I'd love to get this back on a set bonus some day.

Edited by Monterone

I don't even remember Overload being 360 degrees, you guys are talking about a long lost past man :confused:

I seem to remember it being a big deal when they changed it. It was a long time ago though, i can't remember if it was 2.0 or before that. I do remember a lot of lag around that older animation. It didnt activate as instantaneous as overload does now and the lag could really mess up the timing of the ability. video clip

Edited by -Bob-

I seem to remember it being a big deal when they changed it. It was a long time ago though, i can't remember if it was 2.0 or before that. I do remember a lot of lag around that older animation. It didnt activate as instantaneous as overload does now and the lag could really mess up the timing of the ability. video clip

Doesn't the Imp side sorc animation still seem laggy like that? :D

Doesn't the Imp side sorc animation still seem laggy like that? :D

its not as bad as whats shown in the video clip i linked but lag has always been a consistent problem in this game mostly due to Bee Dubya modding the game engine during development from what i understand.

Thanks for that link I never seen that vid. That's funny to watch.

Depending on the day I still can have lag like that especially on overload even now. I hate how it's conal because it misses thanks to lag not due to user error.

Imo the conal attack additions were bad when they were added and they still bad what they left in. When the game has an engine or lag issue like this one, the worst thing is having abilities that require perfect direction for use on a target....

Edited by Lhancelot

Madness sorc needs a lot more love to be viable in ranked. It needs Force Lightning to be castable while moving combined with temporary accumulated DR to some minor degree. It is far too easily to shut down atm.

I have a lot to say on this topic, but I'm too lazy to type. But given how both sorc dps specs are so reliant on dots for damage, they need to interfere less with mezzes. It's really hard to get as much value out of mezzes unless you have intimate knowledge of other class dcd's and time them properly, as your dot damage breaks them early. I mean you could just not use dots for say lightning spec, but that's also a major blow to your dps. Really makes it hard to duel certain classes.

Madness sorc needs a lot more love to be viable in ranked. It needs Force Lightning to be castable while moving combined with temporary accumulated DR to some minor degree. It is far too easily to shut down atm.

Agreed.

I remember way back when Madness was more mobile than lightning spec and lightning was the stand still turret. Now Madness is the stand still turret.

I think making force lightning castable while on the move for madness would go a long way to helping the spec.

I have a lot to say on this topic, but I'm too lazy to type. But given how both sorc dps specs are so reliant on dots for damage, they need to interfere less with mezzes. It's really hard to get as much value out of mezzes unless you have intimate knowledge of other class dcd's and time them properly, as your dot damage breaks them early. I mean you could just not use dots for say lightning spec, but that's also a major blow to your dps. Really makes it hard to duel certain classes.

Madness was always the dot spec and while lightning used dots, they were not as reliant on them. Now they are both heavily dot reliant and AOE reliant.

I would like to see the specs be more different. Have Madness dedicated to dot spec and AOE spread and have lightning dedicated to single target burst and less reliant on dots. Maybe even remove dots from the lightning rotation.

The problem is lack of imagination in the development team.

Madness was always the dot spec and while lightning used dots, they were not as reliant on them. Now they are both heavily dot reliant and AOE reliant.

I would like to see the specs be more different. Have Madness dedicated to dot spec and AOE spread and have lightning dedicated to single target burst and less reliant on dots. Maybe even remove dots from the lightning rotation.

The problem is lack of imagination in the development team.

this gonna leave a bad taste in my mouth..but i agree with your argument Trixxie..sorc's need more probably..i was just going for the basics..something that wouldn't change game mechanics..try to get Bioware to bite on the small stuff..get that accomplish..then go for the bigger issues..

with my suggestions to changing there cc's is going in the right direction..cause the sorc class had this before..so it is nothing complex for the development team to figure out..hopefuuly the pvp person for Bioware can say a few words on the idea..

Madness needs one adjustment to begin with, and I think the numbers for PvP would increase sufficiently enough that other areas that are lacking would be less apparent.

A more reliable dot spread. This is what this spec does, and the majority of the headache comes from the fact that our dot-spread lost a TON of radius but kept the full cooldown it had before.

There is another thread in the sorc section that brings up the fact that Madness still does not have its own set bonus, and is forced to use a Lightning/TK set. This would be a great opportunity to fix this issue.

Madness would be much better off not messing with Polarity Shift cooldown, and instead the 6pc for Madness could extend that Death Field radius back to what it used to be, +5m. Or instead, it could lower the CD on DF by ~3 seconds so it's a more effective dot spread. The original radius would be better.

We'd lose the +20% damage after Sprint and +20% damage during Polarity, but the originally designed DF radius would make up for that, and the 4pc bonus could also be helpful.

My suggestion for the Madness set would be:

2pc +2% Mastery

4pc Recklessness -15 CD, +1 charge

6pc +5m radius on Death Field (I think it used to be +5m, don't feel like researching)

Edited by Monterone

Madness needs one adjustment to begin with, and I think the numbers for PvP would increase sufficiently enough that other areas that are lacking would be less apparent.

A more reliable dot spread. This is what this spec does, and the majority of the headache comes from the fact that our dot-spread lost a TON of radius but kept the full cooldown it had before.

There is another thread in the sorc section that brings up the fact that Madness still does not have its own set bonus, and is forced to use a Lightning/TK set. This would be a great opportunity to fix this issue.

Madness would be much better off not messing with Polarity Shift cooldown, and instead the 6pc for Madness could extend that Death Field radius back to what it used to be, +5m. Or instead, it could lower the CD on DF by ~3 seconds so it's a more effective dot spread. The original radius would be better.

We'd lose the +20% damage after Sprint and +20% damage during Polarity, but the originally designed DF radius would make up for that, and the 4pc bonus could also be helpful.

My suggestion for the Madness set would be:

2pc +2% Mastery

4pc Recklessness -15 CD, +1 charge

6pc +5m radius on Death Field (I think it used to be +5m, don't feel like researching)

Thats not a bad idea.

why do you think thats a better idea?

given how both sorc dps specs are so reliant on dots for damage, they need to interfere less with mezzes. It's really hard to get as much value out of mezzes unless you have intimate knowledge of other class dcd's and time them properly, as your dot damage breaks them early. I mean you could just not use dots for say lightning spec, but that's also a major blow to your dps. Really makes it hard to duel certain classes.

That's why ;)

My suggestions

2-pc +2% mastery

4-pc Periodic damagins effects don't tick on targets affected by Whirlwind and Backlash. Dealing periodic damage increases damage reduction by 10% for 6 seconds.

6-pc Demolish also reduce the target's movement speed by 30%, 30% chance to gain Wrath and finish the cooldown on Demolish when taking direct damage. Once every X seconds.

PvP set obviously

The real problem is input vs output right now in terms of class balance.

Certain classes have very low input for the amount of output they can do. (PT,Sniper,Jug Tank)

The floor for these classes is extremely high while also having a high top end.

Take for Instance Sorc's and Mara who require way more input to even get close to the output that other classes can while having a much lower floor on the class. (New players on Sorc's/Maras are freebies) At the same time the top range they can hit is subpar compared to things that are easier like PT.

Too many classes have the best of both worlds right now. Low input, High output is the real problem.

The real problem is input vs output right now in terms of class balance.

Certain classes have very low input for the amount of output they can do. (PT,Sniper,Jug Tank)

The floor for these classes is extremely high while also having a high top end.

Take for Instance Sorc's and Mara who require way more input to even get close to the output that other classes can while having a much lower floor on the class. (New players on Sorc's/Maras are freebies) At the same time the top range they can hit is subpar compared to things that are easier like PT.

Too many classes have the best of both worlds right now. Low input, High output is the real problem.

Yeah, that's another facet to consider when it comes to class balance.