Slicers: How do you feel about losing the ability to obtain Augments in 1.2?

Avenir

I just read that slicers will now provide the materials to allow sythweaving, armstech armormech to craft augments.

Augments were one of the few items that can sell for a pretty high amount that slicers can gather. Missions and schematics are hit or miss on the GTN.

So what are your thoughts on this change? On the surface it seems like a fair trade off if it happens the only way to get the materials will be through slicers. Now if they make the materials obtainable by other means then this will be another huge slap into the face to all Slicers.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thought is that it that being able to procure augment parts that can be turned into exactly the augment that the crafter wants to make will increase the value of slicing as a trade skill. Considering that everyone will want some to go with their orange crafted gear, the value should be pretty damn high.

It's interesting. I'm for it.

I never run the augment missions, anyway. I make tons off Slicing from mission unlocks. All the augments I've sold on the GTN for ridiculous amounts came from level 340 Slicing mission unlocks, and not augment missions.

I do hope they increase the discovery rate for Slicing missions, now, though.

My thought is that it that being able to procure augment parts that can be turned into exactly the augment that the crafter wants to make will increase the value of slicing as a trade skill. Considering that everyone will want some to go with their orange crafted gear, the value should be pretty damn high.

You overestimate the amount of people that are actually going to get critted orange gear. The majority will stick to purple and orange mission rewards/drops/commendation rewards of which they like the look, and not bother finding someone charging them several millions for the same item in a critted version.

Everyone is talking about like all crafter are going to mass-produce critted orange gear and sell it for reasonable prices on the GTN. But it's critted and that means for each of those items they will make like a dozen non-critted ones, which will be in low demand but high supply and thus probably fairly affordable.

As long as there is no way to add an Augment slot to an already existing item, critted orange gear will be mostly for most harcore/rich/min-maxers. Then it all depends on how much of the slicing mats are required for a given augment - we might very well end up in a situation where by far the cheapest part is getting the actual augment.

One possible outcome is a situation where critted orange stuff is uber-expensive, as in several millions for the major slots, and for every critted item there might be a dozen or more augments available at any time, far more than in actual demand.

One possible outcome is a situation where critted orange stuff is uber-expensive, as in several millions for the major slots, and for every critted item there might be a dozen or more augments available at any time, far more than in actual demand.

I doubt the critted orange stuff will be uber expensive, if we can crit on all the existing recipes. Look at the cost of implants and earrings, for example. Those take something that'll be harder to get than the mats for orange gear, yet can be had on most servers for 200k or less. And they take effort to learn the right recipes as well, while orange stuff you can just buy off the exchange.

The ones that will be most expensive are the ones that also happen to be looks people want. Hooligan's medium armor, for example. Critted versions of an Imperial Officer look? Yeah, that'll sell. But others, they'll be plenty.

Honestly it's fine since there will be augment crafting anyways and they also said that mission discoveries will no longer fail. Looks like synth will make augments for jedi classes and armormech will make for trooper/smuggler.

I doubt the critted orange stuff will be uber expensive, if we can crit on all the existing recipes. Look at the cost of implants and earrings, for example. Those take something that'll be harder to get than the mats for orange gear, yet can be had on most servers for 200k or less. And they take effort to learn the right recipes as well, while orange stuff you can just buy off the exchange.

The ones that will be most expensive are the ones that also happen to be looks people want. Hooligan's medium armor, for example. Critted versions of an Imperial Officer look? Yeah, that'll sell. But others, they'll be plenty.

Well I hope you are are right, but for the time being I will stay away from that market. I already have the look that I want, they're mostly mission rewards and I am not even sure if there is sufficient possibility to reverse-engineer these into recipes. Like, my main's pants came from a class quest. So someone would have to reverse-engineer this very class quest reward (and the quest offered at least two different-looking pants plus some other stuff) and then go on and craft it again and again and sell critted versions of it instead of just making single one for themselves and be done with it. Particularly if they like the look of it, they're probably not even going to destroy it for the chance at a recipe...

Well I hope you are are right, but for the time being I will stay away from that market. I already have the look that I want, they're mostly mission rewards and I am not even sure if there is sufficient possibility to reverse-engineer these into recipes. Like, my main's pants came from a class quest. So someone would have to reverse-engineer this very class quest reward (and the quest offered at least two different-looking pants plus some other stuff) and then go on and craft it again and again and sell critted versions of it instead of just making single one for themselves and be done with it. Particularly if they like the look of it, they're probably not even going to destroy it for the chance at a recipe...

A number of the current orange items are just recolors of certain quest rewards. With the increase in orange craftables, there is a good chance that exactly what you are wearing will be in purchasable recipes (maybe a different color scheme).

A number of the current orange items are just recolors of certain quest rewards. With the increase in orange craftables, there is a good chance that exactly what you are wearing will be in purchasable recipes (maybe a different color scheme).

And some of them aren't eve recolors. Mercenary heavy armor, for example, is the exact same look and color scheme as the merc BH set from Taris.

There's no RE'ing orange stuff for recipes. There's one set every 4 levels, from 11 to 47, plus one at 50. Most of these consist of 3 pieces, legs, head, chest, though the lowest few don't have the head piece.

But, yeah, it doesn't offer every look, like the 47 dropped agent armor isn't a look we can make. And there's just one color per set. No light grey imperial officer look, for example, just grey. But, with the match the chest option, for the sets that exist, you can still pick up the helm and legs.

Edit: I do think prices on orange stuff will be high initially, as people aren't really stockpiling low level mats to meet the initial demand. But once that passes, prices should start to drop.

Edited by Battilea

depending on what they add in its place I will likely drop slicing for underworld trading.

I believe we get some materials needed to make the augments. Overall, it will probably be an improvement in terms of making money, since there will be a reason to do the "augment" missions, unlike now, where all you really want is the 340 wealthy ones, coupled with the 3 crew skill limit, meaning people will probably be buying the mats.

I don't care, because no one ever wanted the blue or green augments anyhow. The only augments even worth putting for sale are the 49 purples from the mission discoveries. If they remove augments from the mission list, that just means any fool can download a macro program and have an afk credit farmer. At least in the current system it stops the lazy people who would do it, but dont want the augments, and dont understand how pixel detection works.

I love slicing, glad I chose it, but they really need to just scrap the entire tradeskill. Useless augments and "click to make money" are really poor ideas. One of those ideas is going to be wiped out. Now, you need to just take the entire tradeskill, shove its face in the mud and bust a cap in the back of its skull. Because the only use it has is to bother me with popups every 5 minutes as I pvp/fp, and to fatten up some cheating credit farmers wallet.

Edited by Relith

I don't care, because no one ever wanted the blue or green augments anyhow. The only augments worth even worth putting for sale are the 49 purples from the mission discoveries. If they remove augments from the mission list, that just means any fool can download a macro program and have an afk credit farmer. At least in the current system it stops the lazy people who would do it, but dont want the augments, and dont understand how pixel detection works.

I love slicing, glad I chose it, but they really need to just scrap the entire tradeskill. Useless augments and "click to make money" are really poor ideas. One of those ideas is going to be wiped out. Now, you need to just take the entire tradeskill, shove its face in the mud and bust a cap in the back of its skull. Because the only use it has is to bother me with popups every 5 minutes as I pvp/fp, and to fatten up some cheating credit farmers wallet.

Actually artificers liked the green and blue ones, if they were cheap, cause we can RE them for materials.

I'm on the fence. If the crafting materials for augments turn out to be like bioanalysis, where I have metric tons of some ingredient but none of the one ingredient I need - I'm not going to be a fan.

Will I drop slicing? I don't know, maybe. I generate a healthy wad of cash but I may switch to diplomacy just for convenience after the change (I am a biochem). I have diplomacy on an alt right now but zoning times make it a bit too inconvenient to switch characters to refresh missions regularly.

It's complete ********. We lose the ability to get augments which can sell for 100k+, and get stupid augments materials nows? Do you honestly think you will make anywhere near as much money on materials as you would with augments? If you do, you're kidding yourself. The materials for augments will sell for barely 1k each because they will all be common. Bet theres no purple augment crafting mats. Whoever thinks this is a good tradeoff is crazy.

It's complete ********. We lose the ability to get augments which can sell for 100k+, and get stupid augments materials nows? Do you honestly think you will make anywhere near as much money on materials as you would with augments? If you do, you're kidding yourself. The materials for augments will sell for barely 1k each because they will all be common. Bet theres no purple augment crafting mats. Whoever thinks this is a good tradeoff is crazy.

So you're whining about something of which you know zero specifics?

Good form.

Whoever thinks it isn't is pretty silly actually.

How often do you get a 340 slicing mission? And when you do, how often is the augment you get actually worth 100k? I'll take missions that give me 6k in mats every time over that, thanks.

It's *extremely* unlikely that critted orange stuff, in general, will be uber expensive. It only takes 100 skill to make, and grade 1 or 2 mats, and not even rare mats. How much does crit crafted blue lvl 19 stuff sell for? 2k? maybe 3k?

Now, admittedly with blue stuff, there's a market for the non-crit crafted varieties, whereas with orange stuff the only ones that really matter are the crit crafted, so there will be *some* premium to cover the cost of all the mats that are converted into vendor trash.

That being said, critted orange stuff of the particular look you want will almost certainly be expensive if it's a higher level look.

But anyways, I would expect the initial prices on low level crit crafted stuff will be very high, but will RAPIDLY (like, in hours) drop to the level of being barely profitable.

depending on what they add in its place I will likely drop slicing for underworld trading.

Personally, I was planning on dropping Slicing for Underworld Trading before the announcement. Now I think I might stick with Slicing.

Before, I was totally at the mercy of RNG as to whether I would get a useful Augment or something irrelevant to my class. Now, I can use the mats from Slicing to make the Augments I actually want.

Note: My Slicer is level 38, her other crew skills are Armormech and Scavenging, and she primarily uses her crew skills to equip herself and her companions (and on my server at least, there's no market for <50 Augments on the GTN).

I don't care, because no one ever wanted the blue or green augments anyhow. The only augments even worth putting for sale are the 49 purples from the mission discoveries. If they remove augments from the mission list, that just means any fool can download a macro program and have an afk credit farmer. At least in the current system it stops the lazy people who would do it, but dont want the augments, and dont understand how pixel detection works.

Have you actually bothered to read the 2.1 patch notes?

They're not just dropping Augment missions and leaving nothing but Lock Box missions. They're replacing Augment missions for missions that drop Augment materials.

Depending on how they do it, slicing could end up being as profitable as Underworld Trading. If the only way get the Augment Materials for Armormech, Armstech, and Synth Augments is from slicing the way that the only way to get Underworld Metals for Armormech, Armstech, and Synth....

Actualy looking at it that way... this might make Underworld Trading even MORE valuale then it is currently... as those 3 trades now have to decide do they want UT or Slicing? If a bunch of people drop UT, then the UT stuff becomes more rare and vaulable etc.

Either way, the real winners will be the "pure gatherers" that have UT, Slicing, Scavanging

Edited by Jerid

I took Slicing for three reasons:

1) Credit boxes while leveling.

2) RP fit for an Operative

3) Augments for my Cybertech Earpieces.

Well #3 never panned out because:

a) Rakata Earpieces from daily quests were so easy to obtain.

b) I'd make more money selling mats than REing purples to sell.

c) Augments were so cheap at one point that I bought enough to supply myself for months (I still have about 50 purple level 49 augments in my bank)

d) RNG makes it unlikely you will ever get the augment you want from your own missions.

So I think the 1.2 change to Slicing is probably a good one. However I did twink an alt to 400 Armormech over the last couple of weeks so I could make #3 a reality, if not for earpieces, at least for some augmented armor.

Edited by Luno