New Star Wars MMO?

ajmeyer

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not all that interesting I'm afraid. Trademarks have to be renewed every ten years, LucasArts renews all of its video game marks regardless of whether they have new games/re-releases planned:

No doubt. As I said, I think it's the emu that should be worried. SOE and George may have looked the other way, Disney is much more protective of its properties.

i only remember EA getting a contract for 3 new star wars game nothing about a exclusive contract for star wars games

Shout out to ScarletBlaze for having just done the legwork on this one:

This is the article about Disney and EA

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/06/tech/gaming-gadgets/star-wars-video-games-ea/index.html

http://variety.com/2013/biz/news/star-wars-video-games-to-be-treated-as-their-own-franchises-by-lucasfilm-ea-1200860159/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/06/ea-acquires-star-wars-game-license

http://starwars.com/news/electronic-arts-selected-for-multi-year-agreement-for-the-future-of-star-wars-gaming.html

http://news.ea.com/press-release/company-news/walt-disney-company-and-ea-announce-multi-year-star-wars-games-agreement

I am not not sure whether Sony could actually make a Star Wars based on all this.

And according to this article:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/20/ea-making-star-wars-games-for-the-next-10-years

They have the franchise for 10 years.

Shout out to ScarletBlaze for having just done the legwork on this one:

Yup, this section especially:

(CNN) -- Electronic Arts will be the exclusive provider of games based on the Star Wars series, Disney and the game developer announced jointly on Monday.

Following Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm last year, it shut down the LucasArts game development division, indicating its preference to license console games rather than develop them in-house. Now, Electronic Arts will be the only publisher creating Star Wars games for a "core gaming audience," according to today's press release.

Electronic Arts said that its in-house game teams DICE (Battlefield) and Visceral (Dead Space) will work on Star Wars titles, in addition to BioWare, the team behind EA's existing Star Wars MMO The Old Republic.

PS, Zorvan - who so graciously "fixed" my post for me... that game IS being published by Disney.

Might want to look at the bottom of the page to see their logos. ;)

Meanwhile, Disney will "retain certain rights to develop new titles within the mobile, social, tablet and online game categories."

Source of quotes: http://edition.cnn.com/2013/05/06/tech/gaming-gadgets/star-wars-video-games-ea/index.html

Edited by Callaron

PS, Zorvan - who so graciously "fixed" my post for me... that game IS being published by Disney.

Might want to look at the bottom of the page to see their logos. ;)

]

That's nice, even though it has nothing to do with your post that I fixed. Why don't you think about it a bit and come back? I'm going to assume you simply misunderstood something and aren't in fact serious.

I suggest reading the part of your post I bolded, then read my yellow response. Read them both multiple times if needed, there's no rush.

Here's a hint: do you see an EA logo?

Edited by Zorvan

That's nice, even though it has nothing to do with your post that I fixed. Why don't you think about it a bit and come back? I'm going to assume you simply misunderstood something and aren't in fact serious.

I suggest reading the part of your post I bolded, then read my yellow response. Read them both multiple times if needed, there's no rush.

Here's a hint: do you see an EA logo?

I'll spell it out, since apparently it is necessary.

Disney reserves the right to make online games with the Star Wars brand.

The game you linked is made by them. So it in no way supports your arguement that just about everyone will be allowed to do it - it is the exception that they spoke of themselves in the article.

And if that still goes above your head. Have a nice day.

Edited by Callaron

I'll spell it out, since apparently it is necessary.

Disney reserves the right to make online games with the Star Wars brand.

The game you linked is made by them. So it in no way supports your arguement that just about everyone will be allowed to do it - it is the exception that they spoke of themselves in the article.

And if that still goes above your head. Have a nice day.

I'll spell it out. You're suffering from shortbus syndrome.

Let's take a look:

It won't be a Star Wars MMO, EA has the license for the coming decade.

False. EA has the singleplayer license for the coming decade. Disney can license to whomever they want for online games. Case in point: http://www.starwarsattacksquadrons.com/

You say "EA has the license for the coming decade".

Obviously, they don't have THE license as ANOTHER DEVELOPER is making that game, Disney is publishing ( not making, as the developer is AREA 52 if you read the site more closely), and EA is nowhere to be found.

AREA 52 has been LICENSED to make that Star Wars game FOR Disney. So obviusly, Disney CAN HAND LICENSES TO WHOEVER THEY WISH, just as I said.

Now where did you see anywhere that I said Disney couldn't publish a Star Wars game? Could you please point that out?

Edited by Zorvan

Let's take a look:

Obviously, they don't have THE license as ANOTHER DEVELOPER is making that game, Disney is publishing, and EA is nowhere to be found.

Now where did you see anywhere that I said Disney couldn't publish a Star Wars game? Could you please point that out?

I be careful calling Area 52 a developer because of this information I found about Area 52. They may claim to be a developer but a company that only has one game I would watch very carefully.

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Area_52_Games

Area 52 Games is a Seattle-based mobile and PC game development studio. The company was founded in June 2013.[3]

The development studio has partnered with Disney Interactive Worlds to develop the upcoming browser-based PC game Star Wars: Attack Squadrons. Currently, Attack Squadrons is the only known game to be in development at Area 52.

It is very possible the reason they are making this game is this publisher could be part of Disney gaming community. such as the list here supports:

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Video_game_companies

Edited by ScarletBlaze

I be careful calling Area 52 a developer because of this information I found about Area 52. They may claim to be a developer but a company that only has one game I would watch very carefully.

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Area_52_Games

Area 52 Games is a Seattle-based mobile and PC game development studio. The company was founded in June 2013.[3]

The development studio has partnered with Disney Interactive Worlds to develop the upcoming browser-based PC game Star Wars: Attack Squadrons. Currently, Attack Squadrons is the only known game to be in development at Area 52.

It is very possible the reason they are making this game is this publisher could be part of Disney gaming community. such as the list here supports:

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Video_game_companies

They're still the developer licensed to make the game and they're not owned or controlled as a company by Disney. Whether they turn out to be a good developer or not is a whole other discussion. I'm still waiting to see if I get a beta invite for the game. It looks a LOT better than GSF on paper, but I really want to see it for myself.

Edited by Zorvan

Let's take a look:

Obviously, they don't have THE license as ANOTHER DEVELOPER is making that game, Disney is publishing ( not making, as the developer is AREA 52 if you read the site more closely), and EA is nowhere to be found.

AREA 52 has been LICENSED to make that Star Wars game FOR Disney. So obviusly, Disney CAN HAND LICENSES TO WHOEVER THEY WISH, just as I said.

And they are using it to make a browser game, which still falls under the terms of their agreement of what Disney can do with the license.

Sure, it's with another company helping them - but it's still part of what they agreed on, they haven't set some kind of precedent for handing the license to other companies that would compete in the area that they've "given" to EA.

This Attack Squadron game is browser based and obviously lies outside the realm of what EA and Disney have agreed upon as a Core Game: in most license agreements, a Core Game is generally defined as games that require certain hardware (console or PC with specific OS and hardware specifications). Browser based games do not have hardware requirements.

This is hardly without precedent for an IP owner to divide up their IP's video game rights into different categories like Core, Online, Browser and Social (those are the most commonly used categories and their names, but it changes based on the agreements of the participants). For example, Marvel Comics: Activision makes the Core Games; Gazillion makes Online and Browser games and Playdom makes Social games. As long as Activision doesn't try to make a Facebook app or browser based Marvel game, and Gazillion doesn't make a yada yada and so on... everything is fine.

This is obviously what the situation is here: EA holds the exclusive rights for Core Games (games developed for specific hardware configurations) while Disney has held on to the rights to develop Browser based games (and probably Social games as well).

As MMORPGs like SWTOR require specific hardware, Disney won't be handing out a license to another company to be making a Core Star Wars MMORPG anytime soon.

Let's take a look:

Disney retained the rights for certain mobile and for browser based gaming with the SW IP. Console games, MMOs, single player boxed (even if digital) PC software installs of game properties are licensed exclusively to EA under a ten year agreement. The big gray area here is mobile games.. as Disney retained rights for "certain" mobile gaming, but EA is also a strong and growing player in this space.

We hashed all this out when the brower based Squadron style PvP game under development by Area 52 was announced a couple months back.

Now, that said.. I'm sure the license agreement gives EA right of first refusal on gaming themes and as such.. it's possible under these conditions for Disney to subcontract with a different studio.. but only if EA declines to develop and produce. If anyone thinks though that EA is going to refuse a game theme for development and let one of the other big producers like Sony or Blizzard have a chance at them.... think again. EA would do it just to deny it to another developer/publisher.... frankly any company would to be honest

Edited by Andryah

Disney retained the rights for certain mobile and for browser based gaming with the SW IP. Console games, MMOs, single player boxed (even if digital) PC software installs of game properties are licensed exclusively to EA under a ten year agreement. The big gray area here is mobile games.. as Disney retained rights for "certain" mobile gaming, but EA is also a strong and growing player in this space.

We hashed all this out when the brower based Squadron style PvP game under development by Area 52 was announced a couple months back.

Now, that said.. I'm sure the license agreement gives EA right of first refusal on gaming themes and as such.. it's possible under these conditions for Disney to subcontract with a different studio.. but only if EA declines to develop and produce. If anyone thinks though that EA is going to refuse a game theme for development and let one of the other big producers like Sony or Blizzard have a chance at them.... think again. EA would do it just to deny it to another developer/publisher.... frankly any company would to be honest

Except articles about the deal say Disney retained rights for "online games", not "browser based games". And since a browser based game is online ( no other way to have a browser game lol ), so far Attack Squadrons supports that conclusion.

Does this mean I'm not interpreting it wrong? Nope. I can always be wrong.

But until we see EA putting out another Star Wars mmo / online game, I'd say the evidence as it is now is more in favor of my interpretation.

Except articles about the deal say Disney retained rights for "online games", not "browser based games". And since a browser based game is online ( no other way to have a browser game lol ), so far Attack Squadrons supports that conclusion.

Does this mean I'm not interpreting it wrong? Nope. I can always be wrong.

But until we see EA putting out another Star Wars mmo / online game, I'd say the evidence as it is now is more in favor of my interpretation.

Actually, I have seen articles that state "online games" (rather vaguely I might add) AND I have seen articles published by different web news outlets at the same timeframe that specifically said "browser based".

Here's a couple of them for you (there are more, feel free to google):

Disney will retain the rights to create Star Wars games on any platform that isn’t dedicated to gaming. This means mobile, social, tablet, and browser-based games are still under Disney’s control and they can license the rights out to new developers as they wish.
source: http://news.cheatcc.com/390804

Disney retains publishing rights for browser-based games, as well as mobile games made for smartphones and tablets, but for Star Wars games on dedicated gaming consoles and handhelds, and presumably the PC, EA will secure exclusive publishing rights! This gives them a complete monopoly on Star Wars video game releases, and likely the bulk of profits from any Star Wars games released over the next several years! It will also give EA exclusive and final veto power on whether or not a game tie-in is made for the upcoming 2015 theatrical release of Star Wars: Episode VII, along with its sequels, and any spin-off movies released in the interim
source: http://www.eggplante.com/2013/05/07/star-wars-games-find-a-new-hope-as-ea-chooses-the-force/ Edited by Andryah

Actually, I have seen articles that state "online games" (rather vaguely I might add) AND I have seen articles published by different web news outlets at the same timeframe that specifically said "browser based".

Here's a couple of them for you (there are more, feel free to google):

source: http://news.cheatcc.com/390804

source: http://www.eggplante.com/2013/05/07/star-wars-games-find-a-new-hope-as-ea-chooses-the-force/

Regarding your first quote: The PC is not a dedicated gaming machine. Those are called consoles. Well, at least all of them up to the PS4. The Xbone appears to be a dedicated television system with gaming capabilities added in.:D

Regarding your second quote: The writer speculates that "dedicated gaming machine" includes PC "presumably", which shows he's either dumb, or just wishful.

Edited by Zorvan

Regarding your first quote: The PC is not a dedicated gaming machine. Those are called consoles.

Regarding your second quote: The writer speculates that "dedicated gaming machine" includes PC, which shows he's either dumb, or just wishful.

Oh, I give you more credit for understanding then this. :) You know the context and it's clear that multiple outlets have reported "browser based" gaming.

For some reason, you appear to want to hold out hope that EA does not have exclusive rights outside of mobile, social, tablet, and browser-based games. But when I see this explicitly stated in multiple outlets as the content that Disney retains rights to mobile, social, tablet, and browser-based games, that's pretty explicit and non-ambiguous in the world of internet news reporting. Whereas, no where have I seen any reporting that Disney retains rights to certain SW games on certain PCs, or any PC platform for matter.

Edited by Andryah

Oh, I give you more credit for understanding then this. :) You know the context and it's clear that multiple outlets have reported "browser based" gaming.

For some reason, you appear to want to hold out hope that EA does not have exclusive rights outside of mobile, social, tablet, and browser-based games. But when I see this explicitly stated in multiple outlets as the content that Disney retains rights to mobile, social, tablet, and browser-based games, that's pretty explicit and non-ambiguous in the world of internet news reporting.

Sure, I hold out hope EA doesn't have all those rights.

I have no interest in seeing Madden:Star Wars every year.

I also don't want to see a good Star Wars mmo being denied creation because EA doesn't want competition to SWtoR.

I also don't want to believe Disney would be stupid enough to give one publisher a monopoly on Disneys' property. If they are, then they need a new CEO because the current one is a friggin' idiot and has absolutely no business sense.

Edited by Zorvan

i only remember EA getting a contract for 3 new star wars game nothing about a exclusive contract for star wars games

Chuckle, where do you think most of the money from the Cartel Market goes?

Hint: To pay for the decade long license.

EQ is 15 years old and eq2 is 10, I don't think you can say smed drives players away. vanguard was not developed by SOE they bought it from Brad McQuaids company years ago after the worst MMO lauch I have ever experienced.

If I had to guess I would think they would use some resources from planetside and make it into a MMO, but that is based on absolutely nothing. As for the game being fantasy, why? They will have EQ EQ2 and EQN out, the last thing they need is another fantasy title.