The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

elliotcat

Parenting: Ambition, starring Ruth and Rylon Niral. 300 words, no spoilers.

18 ATC – seven years after the confirmation of the Wrath

Dromund Kaas – the Niral estate

“Mom?”

“Yes, Rylon?”

Six-year-old Rylon Niral stopped his habitual fidgeting to stare at his mother. “How come you can’t shoot Force lightning?”

“I never trained the skill.”

“Why?”

“Because I spent that time honing my skills with a lightsaber.”

“Why?”

“I like saber combat more.”

“Why?”

“It gets you more exercise. Gives you more physical followthrough. And, strangely enough, makes less of a mess of your hair.”

Rylon shook out his shaggy black hair, grabbed a handful, considered it, looked back up at Ruth. “Why?”

“I’m afraid I’m not well qualified to explain static Force effects to you.”

“Why?”

“Already answered that one. I spent my time learning the lightsaber, not studying textbooks.”

“Why?”

“To defend myself, little guy.”

“Why?”

“Um. Because I like living?”

“Why?”

She half laughed. “This has taken an existential turn I’m not sure I’m comfortable with.”

“Why?”

“Because some answers do more harm than good, sweetie.”

“Why?”

“If I knew that, my life would be a much different thing.”

“Why?”

“Well, I would have all the answers and then I could probably go be the Empress myself.”

“Whoa.” Rylon scrunched up his brow to consider. “But you have to shoot Force lightning to be the Emperor.”

“Not if I were in charge. I would change the rules so you just have to be the best at lightsabers.”

“Huh. Show me more saber stuff?”

“Sure.” She started toward the playroom, which stored a few practice sabers, including some scaled for little Rylon. “Let’s go, kid.”

He skipped on ahead. “We can train up and then both be Emperor!”

She laughed. “And why would we do that?”

“Because it’s awesome.”

Tooo perfect and so true.

Morgani, I an loving your story! Please, don't stop!

Svein, that was a shocker, given that normally Quinn can't stand Vette. Well done!

Bright, I've been in Ruth's shoes before, and she handled it well!

Ever since I saw the prompt, I've been thinking about this chapter in Always a Plan, and as much as I've tried, it won't leave my thoughts. I apologize to anyone who's already read this, but it just fits too well to ignore. And since I'm afraid my creativity is lacking right now, here's the birth of Devin Riggs, Miriah and Corso's son. It starts when they're at the med station, Miriah in preterm labor.

A full week, she thought, I’ve been here a full week, and I want to go home. It was very early in the morning, and as she got up to make another trip to the refresher, Corso didn’t move. The staff had accepted that she was much calmer as long as he was near, and didn’t bother them about it anymore. The sisters and their families had gone back to their normal routine, other than checking in with her several times a day via holo. She grimaced as she stood, her body never without the pain and aches of advanced pregnancy. Her son moved lazily, as if he weren’t ready to be awake yet, and it made her smile.

As she made her way back to bed, she started to feel an odd burning sensation, and suddenly there was clear fluid everywhere, a searing pain taking the place of the burning. Corso heard her yelp as she gripped the railing on the wall. He was up and to her in one leap, realizing that labor had started and pressing the button on the bed to call for help. He supported her as she walked to the bed and hesitated before sitting.

“This is just a mess, and it’s not time,” she cried, holding onto him with all she had. She looked at him with panic in her eyes. “He’s not ready, oh Corso, he’s not done cooking yet.” He shushed her, holding her as she was ripped by another strong contraction, her breathing ragged. The techs burst through the door pulling machines and monitors behind them.

The doctor came into the room then, looking at all the squiggly lines and numbers the monitors were spitting out while Miriah was struggling to stay on top of the pain that was hitting every three minutes. Corso was doing his best to stay calm, focused only on Miriah as she grimaced and tried to breathe.

“We already know you can’t deliver a baby this size, and labor is too far along to stop now. I suggest we prepare for surgery and save you and your baby distress.” He strode out of the room, confident he knew the answer to the problem. Miriah looked at Corso, a helpless, pleading look that ended with her eyes closed against the next contraction.

“I trust him, Mir, he’s been right all along.” He took a deep breath and let it out slowly. “Let’s have us a baby today, eh kitten?” She nodded, no longer able to talk through the pain that was increasing with each wave.

He quickly changed into the acceptable clothes they’d given him and joined Miriah, who had been given numbing agents and was able to relax against the contractions, which she could still feel were going on but weren’t painful. It was only when he’d entered the room that he remembered the family. He stood to the side, entering his urgent message on his pocket datapad. That would have to do, he thought, feeling guilty that he’d been so absorbed but knowing they’d all understand.

Corso looked up in surprise as Akaavi joined them, dressed in her garb for the event. “What, you think I would miss a clan addition?” She smiled at them, and Corso realized he was glad she was here.

“It all happened so fast, ‘Kaavi, I just now sent a message to the family. The staff told you when you got here?” She nodded, seeing that Miriah was rapidly becoming tired.

The doctor entered, a screen was set up and before Corso really knew what all was going on, the older doctor pulled his son, Devin, from his mom. Corso felt time slow as he heard his son cry, and when he looked at Miriah, the tears streaming down her face made his own eyes fill. Devin was perfect, and if his cry was any indication, his lungs were fine. When the doctor asked Corso if he’d like to sever the umbilical cord, his hands shook. The tech took Devin then, and wiped his face, wrapping him in a warmed blanket, and took him to an area set up in the room to weigh and measure him.

“Nine pounds, fourteen ounces,” she announced, smiling at the new parents. “No need to take him for evaluation, he’s doing great.” She brought him over then, and placed the wrapped bundle in his mother’s arms. Corso was grinning, and Akaavi sighed in relief that he was here.

“Look, Dad, he’s here,” Miriah looked up at Corso, tears still sitting on her eyelashes but her smile radiant. Like every mother since the beginning of time, she had to unwrap him to do an inventory of fingers and toes, but she quickly wrapped him up again when he began to whimper against the cool air on his new skin. Miriah held him close, with Akaavi on one side and Corso on the other. Devin opened his eyes and looked first at Miriah and then turned his baby gaze on Corso, whose heart was tight with all the emotions. He smiled down at Devin, knowing he’d willingly give his life for his son or Miriah, to keep them safe and happy. Miriah handed him the bundle then, knowing how much Corso already loved their son, and he looked at the baby in wonder. Akaavi got her turn in too, amazed that the baby seemed to already know their voices and was so calmly looking around him.

Miriah was napping off and on, and had yet to feed or change Devin, since Corso and Akaavi were so vigilant. They were both, as it happened, out getting things ready for them to travel home in the morning, so she was alone with Devin when he began to fuss, his newborn cries resonating deep inside her. She slowly edged herself up from the bed and crossed to the baby, talking softly to him. Her voice soothed him, and he stopped wailing to look around for her. “You know me, right, Dev? It’s Mom. Let’s get you changed and stuff.” She got the necessary things done, and gingerly sat in the rocking chair with her son and a bottle. She looked long and hard at the cool, plastic bottle, finally putting it away and instead, placed her infant to her breast. They were both soothed by the touch of skin on skin, and when Corso arrived back at the room, the scene took his breath away. Miriah was humming something melodic, looking down at their son, who was feeding and waving one hand in the air. Her hair was identical to his, blacker than obsidian, and the look of serenity on her face was priceless. He had to grin at them, overjoyed at the sight of them together.

"Dev—Dad’s back, “she said softly to him, her lips curved in a gentle smile. He moved to her, crouching to look at his son, who was getting sleepy since he was full. She gently broke his suction and lifted him to her shoulder, where he snuggled rather than burped. Miriah was getting uncomfortable sitting, so she handed Devin to Corso, who got a burp right away.

“That’s right, little man, us guys know all about the burps. We’ll cover other manly and gross things later.” He smiled as he settled the baby in the crook of his muscled arm, Devin never waking, and sat on the edge of the bed where Miriah was getting settled.

After the busy morning, Miriah closed her eyes, her energy depleted, and Corso sat, watching both his newborn and his wife sleep, and knew that he was blessed.

Awwww this really brought back the joy of having a child for me. [/color]

Well, I am finally participating in this thread.

I have been lurking here for quite some time now, reading all these amazing stories you guys continue to write. You're all very talented and for a long time I felt too intimidated to participate. I've been running stories through my head ever since I started playing SWTOR, with every new character more stories pop into my head, but I've never put them to paper. Until today. I'm very new at writing and even though I speak English decently it is not my first language and I judge my own vocabulairy insufficient to write adequate in English. This week's prompt inspired a story that's been floating through my brain for a while however and finally decided to get out. Adequate vocabulairy or not, I had a lot of fun writing this and it definitely won't have been the last story if I can find the time in my uni schedule.

I hope you guys enjoy reading it (I also hope I got the prompt right) and please don't stop writing yourselves, I am having an amazing time reading all your stories!

Prompt: Affection

Title: Hard To Face

Characters: Djem (Sith Warrior), Vette

Spoilers: Effectively none. Some minor Sith Warrior: Prologue spoilers but nothing I wouldn't deem common knowledge.

Djem walked through the hallways of her Fury with an empowered gait. It hadn’t yet been a full week since Darth Baras had granted his apprentice the use of one of his starships but Djem felt like it had never been any different. A ship to call her own and a crew that followed her every demand was simply nothing less than she deserved. The fact she was effectively Baras’ errand girl, schlepping for him whenever and wherever he pleased was easily forgotten within the confines of the ship, where it was her word that ruled.

The door to the bridge flew open at her approach and Djem quickened her pace in anticipation. As always, her mind did a quick inventory when she stepped onto the bridge, making sure all of it was still in its rightful place. Pleased to see everything was exactly as she’d left it she proceeded to the captain’s chair and sat down gracefully, making sure to toss her lekku over the back of the chair. Designed for a wide array of mission parameters with its combination of maneuverability and heavy fire power, the one thing the Fury had never been designed for was a twi’lek captain. As she’d painfully found out the first time she sat down, the high-backed captain’s chair did not agree with her head tails. She’d made a mental note to replace the chair at the first possible opportunity; Sith or not, comfort was as important to her as appearance.

Relaxing into the chair, Djem turned the bridge lights to minimum illumination and stared off into the endless sea of black that surrounded her. She thought of this view as a blueprint to the galaxy’s design, everything you needed to know was right there, outside. Countless stars, shining brightly, some brighter than others but each contributing to the intricate tapestry of pulsing light, woven through the darkest black. But one by one, all stars eventually lost their radiance, their light swallowed whole by the darkness that surrounds them. There was something tranquil and reassuring about this view that appealed to Djem and she found herself sitting here and staring off with increased frequency.

“Gorgeous view, ain’t it? Bit monotonous if you ask me,” Vette chuckled when Djem nearly fell out of her chair, rubbing her ear cones. She had been so absorbed in her thoughts she hadn’t even heard the other twi’lek come in, sneaking up behind her to blow these words into her ear.

“What do you want, Vette?” Djem asked bitingly.

“Nothing,” Vette replied sweetly. “Just wanted to see if you’d shock me.”

The casual way in which she added that comment made Djem get up from her chair and turn around to face Vette. “I have never shocked you, Vette.”

“Oh, I know,” the other twi’lek said happily. “I was just wondering what it’d take for you to shock me.”

The concentrated look Vette gave her set Djem on edge. “I don’t appreciate these jokes, Vette. Now get out before I do shock you.”

“No,” the look of defiance Vette gave her was one of singular determination.

It was a look that made Djem’s blood boil with anger. On her ship, under her command, Vette would do exactly as she commanded. She was Sith and no one would make her look like a fool by disobeying her. Djem crossed the space between Vette and herself in two long strides and pulled hard at one of her head tails. Vette whimpered but otherwise remained impassive as she brought her face within inches from Vette’s.

“Get. Out,” the whispered words were full of anger.

When Vette didn’t respond Djem pulled even harder at her head tail and the twi’lek cried out in pain. Moments from passing out, Djem released her grip and Vette crumpled to the floor, her breathing ragged as she massaged her lekku.

“I am not asking you to get out a third time,” the words were cold and menacing but already her anger was subsiding and something else was starting to nag at the edges of her mind.

“You know,” Vette laughed mirthlessly. “You still haven’t shocked me.”

With a wave of her hand Djem sent the twi’lek flying through the doorway. With her anger on the retreat the push hadn’t packed a lot of power and as Djem approached the door to the bridge Vette was already scrambling herself together in the hallway.

“If you were any other Sith Lord, I’d have been dead by now,” Vette wheezed. “Multiple times.”

She looked up at Djem. “You won’t kill me. You won’t shock me. Ever since Korriban, you haven’t even talked to me. The only exception is when you tell me to get out, or to get lost, or to make myself scarce. What is it going to take for you to acknowledge me?”

Vette gave her that same concentrated look again as Djem looked down on her, dumbstruck. “I can be a good companion you know. I might not have chosen to get stuck with a Sith but in spite of that, I can be a good companion.”

Djem looked at the twi’lek in front of her with a mixture of anger, surprise and exasperation. It was true that she’d been ignoring Vette, she had her reasons for that. But choosing to ignore her was just as much her prerogative as choosing to torture her. She thought she’d been very considerate for a Sith to go with the pain-free option.

“A girl doesn’t like to be ignored.” Vette said simply as she started to get up.

“I’m not asking you to become my best friend,” Vette continued when Djem didn’t respond. “That’ll really be day. Just… just acknowledge me and clue me in. I can be an asset.”

Djem moved her weight absentmindedly. This entire conversation unnerved her and all she wanted was for Vette to go away. “I’ll try,” she replied stiffly.

“That’s all I ask,” Vette sighed relieved. She made to walk away when she turned around again.

“One more thing. See, I’ve been meaning to ask you for a while now. Maybe you want to take this shock collar off? You know, for all the hard work I’ve done for you on Korriban and Dromund Kaas. And, of course, seeing how you’re not really using it to instill the perpetual fear of lightning in me anyway.”

Djem knew she had to say no. She was Sith. She was power. No one would be allowed to undermine that. But as she looked into Vette’s eyes, her face still flushed from the strain her body endured, the words died on her lips and she instead unlocked the shock collar with a flick of the Force. It clattered to the deck with a hollow sound and came to rest between her feet.

“Thanks. Now I feel silly for not asking sooner,” Vette winked at her for the joke as she made to leave, undoubtedly on her way to a private lekku buff.

-----

Hours later, Djem was still sitting in her captain’s chair, staring out the bridge window. As she turned the shock collar over and over in her hands, the image that filled her mind was not the tranquil darkness of the galaxy but the severe torturing of a young twi’lek.

Authors note:

My SW in fact didn't talk to Vette until she'd gotten her ship. This was because I've never been able to match Vette's voice to her standard appearance or one of the 3 customization you can choose from after Korriban. Because you need your ship to travel to the planet that sells more customizations, I "saved" my conversations with Vette until after I got her the only appearance that "does it" for me.

This was great.. I am glad I am not alone in my newness here :)

I just love all these stories.

Edited by Irrissa

Wow. Okay, finally caught up with the latest rush of awesome - and yes, that includes the bits where I threw my own story in and ran off rather than reading. :mon_angel: The character index is up to date, new authors and all!

Iryfindel, welcome to the thread! :) Twi'lek ergonomics are something I never even thought of for the Fury. And Djem has a most unusual attitude towards Vette, but not an unreasonably weird one. Your prose reads quite naturally. I like!

Morgani, you have me on tenterhooks. If you were worried about the length of all this, don't be. I think you have our full attention. Poor Jorgan...

Tatile, I have often wondered about this Grigor. Interesting and unpleasant to finally see him.

Carry on, everybody! :)

I have been away from this thread for some time and I have some catching up to do. Anyway, the following story is part of a longer story that I had going round in my head for quite some time but never had the time to put down in words. Having seen the prompts about sisterhood/parenthood, it sprang out again and started poking me saying "write me down now!!!" :p

So, here it is. I do apologise since it is a bit long and, again, part of a longer story. You may see the rest at some point later this week (life permitting). I know I should, maybe, start my own thread with all of this but, unfortunately, I do not have the time required to maintain a thread of my own.

I'll try to keep it short next time. :)

Prompt: sisterhood (mainly)

Featuring my agent and Lokin. No spoilers that I can think of.

“Agent?”

Lilith looked up and met Lokin's inquisitive gaze

“Hello Doc” she replied “Need something?”

“Well, the more appropriate question would be 'what are you doing under the holographic console' but I will leave that for another time”

Pulling herself up, she straightened her uniform “Standard system check. Why?”

“I may have found something that might interest you” Lokin replied, ignoring her reply. He handed her a datapad “I was checking the crew's profiles and there were a few things that did not add up”

“Here we go again” she thought as she activated the display. Looking at the data appearing on the small screen, she realised she was looking at her own profile “Doc? “ she interjected “Why are you showing me my profile?”. She knew that Lokin was up to something and she hated it.

“It mentions that you were adopted”

“And?” the knowledge of having an imperial agent with years of experience checking her profile made her uneasy

“Also” he continued “you never mentioned that you have a daughter”

She looked at him in disbelief “How...no...why...why are you checking my background?”

“I did it for all the members of this crew. If you want to check my profile, feel free to look in the imperial database”

She was lost for words and all she could do was stare at him.

“Now, don't look at me like that. You are a member of the intelligence and as such, your task is to gather as much information as you can.”

“What do you want?” she was beginning to be seriously annoyed at this intrusion. “Besides, I doubt that existence of my daughter is noted in the imperial database”

“You are quite right. It wasn't. At least not in the commonly available database”

“What?” she felt naked, her life made available to just about anyone who knew where to look

“Oh, don't worry” he replied, almost to reassure her “such information is hard to come by. Especially information that has been removed by order of people with higher clearance than the ministry of intelligence.” He raised an eyebrow “Don't you find that intriguing?”

She was trying to draw a clear picture in her mind on how to eliminate nosy characters such as the man standing in front of him. Shooting him would be quick but messy and then she would have to dump the body. Also, sudden disappearances would lead to too many questions and more sudden disappearances. No, she would have to use a more subtle method but that would take time. So, she opted for the quick option

“Doc, tell me what you planned on telling me before I take out my rifle and place a bullet in your brain.” she tried to assume a threatening stance “Since you are so well versed on my profile, you should also know that I trained as a sniper and graduated with top marks. I can hit a target a mile away and, at this distance, it will be extremely difficult for me to miss”

Lokin chuckled

“What is so funny?” she asked, unsure if the rakghoul DNA in Lokin had finally managed to destroy any last shred of sanity left in his mind.

“That would be such a waste. If you had planned on killing me, I would have known a long time ago and, if that was just on the spur of the moment, I hope you realise the consequences of your act. Besides...” he continued “...if I wasn't here, who would find the information you may have sought already”

Her jaw dropped

“Your last access to some very specific data was only a few days ago. I believe you tried to access files related to your adoption. Did you not?”

She just dropped on a nearby seat and sighed “I give up.” After a moment of silence, she looked up at him “So, what did you find?”

“It would seem that someone, high up, had an interest in making sure that information on your real parents was hidden. I am not entirely sure as to why such information was not deleted altogether but, there you have it”

“And do you have any lead on who this 'someone' might be?” she asked him, almost challenging him to have an answer ready

“Someone with a higher clearance than the ministry? Come on agent, you know the answer to that”

He was right, for there was only one possible answer. Apart from the emperor himself, there was only one governing body above the ministry of intelligence and she did not like to deal with it.

“So, you are telling me that information about my real parents has been hidden away by the Dark Council?” she was finding it hard to believe that a bunch of Sith lords would take an active interest in her birth.

“Yes. It is the only possible explanation. Also, it would explain why Darth Jadus took an interest in you.

“Doc...” she paused “...do you really believe that? I mean, I am not a force user, never was. Why would they...”

“You are not a force user, correct...” he interjected “...but it would seem that your parents, or at least one of them, was.” He paused for a moment “Also, your sister might be one”

“Go on then...” she was only half listening to him, the thought of having the Dark Council on her back clouding her thoughts “Wait...what? “ her mind suddenly springing to attention “What did you just say?”

“You are not listening, agent.”

“Yes...whatever” she was growing impatient “What's this about a sister?”

“That's what I said. It would seem that you have a sibling”

She was shocked. For one, she had just been told that she had a sister and, second, she just realised that Lokin knew more about her life than she ever did. “Where did you find all of this?”

Oh, it was not easy, trust me. Someone really wants this information to be hidden or forgotten.”

She shook her head, still in disbelief “I don't think I want to know how you managed to find all of this but, please, tell me you have not used this ship's computer to do your poking around.”

“Of course not” he said frowning “Do you think I am a beginner? Agent, please”

“Alright, sorry. It's just that...” she did not know what to say. She did not know whether to feel happy, sad, angry. A mixture of feelings was swirling in her mind.

“I understand. There is a lot to take in. Anyway...” he turned around and picked up the datapad she had left on the holo “...you can read about it in your own time. All the information I gathered is in here.” he said, handing it to her. “I'll be in med-bay if you need me”.

After he had walked out, she was left alone with her life flashing on a small screen.

Edited by Selentar

Secondly, I want to ask, is it okay if I post this (last) Friday's challenge and the one before that (Changes) on the same post a little later? I didn't want it to be too confusing for readers, and with Darth Real Life getting in the way of things I want to be doing, I always seem to be trying to catch up.

Derp, I meant to respond to this earlier. I'm sure no one will complain if you post a well-labeled late prompt - it's been done before!

Please forgive the size of this post...catching up on my reading :)

Prompt: Brotherhood/Sisterhood

“You’ve been around Humans too long, little Haraz. This isn’t how we do things. There should be pleasant conversation first.”

“You have four minutes thirty seconds, Hepoul. If you’d prefer to waste it on small talk I can oblige,” Sha’ra’zaed said.

I really liked the way Chiss culture is woven through this, and how Hepoul is so bitter and defiant. It made him sympathetic in an odd way I didn't expect. Nice work!

Here is Ceremony featuring Jedi Consular Elliah and Felix Iresso.

Hmmm...maybe I should level a consular and see how Iresso's romance goes. I like him a lot here! Your description of her veil is gorgeous.

Kabeone, I'm dying to read your piece, but I haven't read Remi yet so I have to wait, argh.

here's the birth of Devin Riggs, Miriah and Corso's son

This whole piece was just a big pile of d'awwwwww!!!

Affection - taking place after Siblings. Lord Vizloch and Grigor.

"... I will make Taris look like a children's story."

Loved this line, Tatile!

Prompt: Affection

Title: Hard To Face

Hours later, Djem was still sitting in her captain’s chair, staring out the bridge window. As she turned the shock collar over and over in her hands, the image that filled her mind was not the tranquil darkness of the galaxy but the severe torturing of a young twi’lek.

Interesting play on this relationship! Welcome to the thread :)

Prompt: sisterhood (mainly)

Featuring my agent and Lokin. No spoilers that I can think of.

I love Doc Lokin and you have his voice patterns down pat. This is also totally something that he would do. It sounds like you might have more of this planned, am curious to see it!

Parenthood. No spoilers. NOT set in the same universe as "Afterimages".

Kaas City, Dromund Kaas

32 ATC

“Stop complaining,” the girl said contemptuously.

The boy she was addressing folded his arms across his chest and glared at her. “I still say it’s not fair.”

“You know the rules, Adaris. You go to Korriban at sixteen and not before.”

Adaris scowled. “I don’t want to wait.”

“You’re just jealous that I get to go before you,” the girl smirked.

“It wouldn’t be so bad if you’d stop rubbing it in my face,” Adaris grumbled.

“You started this!”

“I’m not stupid, Narithia. You’re the one who came in here acting like you’d just been crowned Empress.”

Narithia clicked her tongue disapprovingly. “That’s borderline treason.”

“See if I care!”

“You should care, little brother.”

“Half-brother,” Adaris retorted. “I don’t want to be associated any closer to you than I have to.”

“Well, don’t get snippy with me,” Narithia said sharply. “It’s hardly my fault that our mother is a tramp.”

“Don’t call her that!”

Narithia rolled her eyes. “Don’t bother standing up for her.”

“You shouldn’t say those things about her,” Adaris said stubbornly.

“It’s not as if she won’t own up to it if you mention it.”

“Why would you do that?”

“She brought it up first.”

“I refuse to believe that!”

“Then you’re naïve,” Narithia sighed.

“I am not!”

“You’re fifteen years old and you have the worldview of a gundark.”

“I’m not like a gundark!”

“You sure act like one sometimes.”

“I’ll gundark you!” Adaris cried, charging at her.

Narithia stepped out of the way with practiced ease, then sent him sprawling to the floor with a sweep of the Force. She dusted off her hands and tucked a stray wisp of blonde hair behind her ear. “Gundark.”

Adaris scrambled to his feet. “Just you wait until I get my hands on a lightsaber,” he growled. “Then I’ll show you.”

“I’ll have one before you,” Narithia pointed out.

“Yeah, but—um—that doesn’t matter!”

Narithia shook her head. “You’re an idiot.”

“And you’re a *****, so it evens out,” Adaris muttered.

“What did you just call me?” Narithia asked dangerously.

Adaris met her gray-eyed glare with an identical one of his own. “I called you a *****, because you are.”

Narithia raised a hand towards him, energy crackling around her fingertips. “You’re going to regret that.”

“Narithia Serence!” a stern voice rang out.

The two teenagers turned guiltily towards where their mother stood in the doorway.

“Now you’re in for it,” Adaris said softly.

Darth Nox regarded her children, shaking her head. “Narithia, what have I told you about using Force lightning on your brother?”

“Don’t do it if I might get caught,” Narithia said promptly

“Exactly,” Nox said. “Next time, use more discretion.” She turned to her son. “Adaris, I suggest investing in some subtlety if you ever want to have a hope of getting the better of your sister.”

Adaris shifted his feet uncomfortably. “Um. I’ll try.”

“Good,” Nox purred. “You’re both very powerful, and I’m very proud of you. However, power means nothing unless you can control it. Remember that.”

“Yes, Mother,” they chorused.

“Narithia, I’m leaving for Korriban at 1100 tomorrow. You’ll be in the hangar if you want to get there before your next birthday.”

“Oh, I’ll be there,” Narithia said eagerly.

“Such enthusiasm,” Nox said fondly. “I remember when I was your age…”

“You were a deadly killing machine. Yes, we’ve heard,” Narithia muttered.

Nox chuckled. “All right, I won’t bore you with my reminiscence.” She paused for a moment. “The Wrath is coming to talk to me before I go.” She paused again, giving Adaris a significant look. “She’s bringing her daughters.”

Adaris cringed. “The Wrath’s daughters are crazier than Narithia.”

“Thanks ever so much,” Narithia murmured dryly. She perked up. “Ivraetha is sixteen this year. Is she going to Korriban too?”

Nox nodded. “I believe so. No doubt the two of you will dominate the other acolytes utterly.”

Narithia frowned. “She’d better stay out of my way.”

“That goes for you too,” Nox said sternly. “I don’t want the Wrath coming after me because you killed her daughter. Be discrete, if you really must act.”

“Of course I will,” Narithia said haughtily.

Nox smiled. “Good girl.”

I am still a little behind. Will have more on this weeks prompt, well at least the Parenthood one to follow this story line I think.

But for now, this follows the events from my Ceremony story

Prompt: Siblings

Dakis stood up and stalked out of the room,totally ignoring the pained look on Minalde's face. He adored his older sister. She was his hero, the perfect Jedi. How could she do this to him, to their family?

He found himself standing in front of a statue of a serene Jedi in a meditation pose. Snarling he kicked the statue over and watched it break into pieces. His mind was still whirling as he returned to confront his sister and what he felt was her betrayal.

When he reached the room he noticed she hadn't seemed to have moved,but tears were streaming down her face. He stopped, astonished as he realized he had never seen his sister cry. Not even when their father died.

It suddenly dawned on him,that he had never thought of her as a real person,only as his idol. That perfect fabulous Jedi that had accomplished so many things. The one who was there when he needed someone, and who was there for his every important event in his life. Someone who seemed to always give to everyone, especially her baby brother.

He fell to his knees before her and gathered her tenderly into his arms. “Minalde” he whispered” I am so sorry. I am here for you. Tell me whats going on.”

As she hesitatingly started her story,he listened quietly realizing he how little he really knew her.

Parenthood. No spoilers. NOT set in the same universe as "Afterimages".

Darth Nox regarded her children, shaking her head. “Narithia, what have I told you about using Force lightning on your brother?”

“Don’t do it if I might get caught,” Narithia said promptly

Ah, Sith parenting.

I am still a little behind. Will have more on this weeks prompt, well at least the Parenthood one to follow this story line I think.

But for now, this follows the events from my Ceremony story

Prompt: Siblings

Short but sweet. I like it!

Affection, 1000 words. Imperial Agent Wynston, spoilers from throughout the agent line. Plus Vector personal quest spoiler, and a minor spoiler for an Imp Belsavis quest. Please forgive any factual errors from all this; I'm too lazy to look some of this stuff up and the gist of it would be the same anyway.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I have some heavy planning to do to coordinate with the new Imperial Intelligence." Or rather, the Sith-controlled shell of it that the Minister had been unable to free. "I'm going to go ahead and give you a few days off, I'll be in touch when I know more." Wynston took a deep breath. "Thank you all for your dedication in this effort. The Cabal's madness had to be stopped, and the work, the pain it cost us, it's all worth it to end that threat." He looked around at his crew. "Take a break. You've earned it." With that he walked past them and down the hallway into his quarters.

He heard Vector follow him in and let the door fall shut. "Wynston?"

Of course Vector would want to skip past the evasions. Wynston had to talk fast. "Vector, good, I wanted to talk to you. Intelligence is likely to get back on track soon, but I may be taking something of a side role. I've thought about it, and - you recall you were offered the lead as Dawn Herald of the Killik nests?"

"Yes. We turned it down to continue our work with you."

"I think you should seriously consider taking the job. Intelligence will get by; that opportunity truly suits your skills and your goals, and you'll do worlds of good with it."

"This recommendation is...sudden." Vector looked over and through him, those black eyes giving nothing away. "Wynston, your aura speaks of great tumult. It has taken us a long time, but we have learned to read even your signs."

Wynston tried to look and sound calm. "What of it?"

"You refused to let us into the Star Chamber in those last minutes with Hunter. What happened?"

Wynston took a deep breath. He couldn't hide all that much, not from Vector. "Keep this secret."

"Of course." It was a gentle reproach.

"The Black Codex was there, the information trove and the tool that can wipe an identity from every record in the galaxy. It's there. It works. I've already used it. Cipher Nine no longer exists."

"That is an...extreme measure."

"I did it because I'm leaving Imperial Intelligence, Vector. I can't stand to see the Sith control it any longer. I can't leave our fate in those hands. I'll serve the worlds of the Empire to my dying breath but I won't take the interpretation of the Empire's good that those maniacs offer. I want safety for our people. I want the hope of peace. Perhaps someday I can even tackle the vision the Cabal had in its earlier incarnations, the vision of a galaxy where we aren't slaves to the accidents of Force power. I respect the rule of strength but it has to be tempered with - with something more than the Sith will ever offer. So I'm leaving the bounds of Intelligence. And you and the others can't follow me."

"Are you really in a position to dictate that?"

"I'm the one holding the Codex. I know that you and Temple will uphold the Empire's laws, and that's admirable in its own way. I know Lokin would only use this for his own amusement and SCORPIO for her own curiosity, and I will not enable either. I know I couldn't trust Kaliyo even if she did decide to come back. I know what I have to do, and I know it would compromise every law you stand for to help me with it."

"Wynston...we wonder whether you have been paying attention. Were we not with you when you defied both Jadus and Watcher Two to disable the Eradicators? Were we not with you in opposition to the nest itself when you fought to keep your word in protecting Baron Cortess? Were we not with you in seeking to block the release of the Dread Masters? What part of all this made you think that we would reject the chance to do what's right now?"

"It's not that I don't trust your motives. This is...it isn't done, Vector, and not even I know what I'm getting into. But I can give you the first-pass prediction. I'll be wiped out. If I'm doing my job right I'll be completely forgotten. No face, no name, no identity, but at the same time if I'm identified I'll be the most wanted, the most hated man the Sith know, and they'll exact retribution for it. I can't keep connections. I can't come home. And after all that I don't even know whether anything I do can truly make a difference. Please, go to Alderaan or wherever the Killiks need you. Take up the job, the recognition you deserve. It's a better life. The opportunity there is tremendous and it's just as meaningful as this work."

"The opportunity is great. Joiners will step up to that opportunity, of that we are certain. But we are your friend, or so we hope. And unless you find a way to force us otherwise, we stand with you."

"You are my friend. And I can't ask you to do that."

Vector's voice had the faintest shimmer of humor when he said "May we volunteer?"

Wynston hesitated.

"We care too much to watch you embark on this journey alone."

Wynston hesitated a while longer. Vector waited. Finally Wynston said "I've always admired your selflessness. But it's going to get you into trouble someday. Today, specifically."

"That's all right. We have some experience in getting into trouble alongside you."

Wynston reminded himself very firmly that he wasn't at a loss for words, because he was never at a loss for words. Nor was he suddenly too choked up to say anything anyway. When Vector smiled at him he smiled back. And nodded, and was glad.

Vector nodded back and left. But Wynston knew that if he was needed, he wouldn't be too far away.

Notes:

Me = biggest platonic crush on Vector ever. Ever.

Obviously after Wynston's done ditching the crew, or trying, he's going to start building The Organization that'll become his life's work. But he isn't going to tell Vector that plan right now. He'll be all "something something evasive Imperial Intelligence" until he's confident on where to start building.

It was while I was writing Wynston and Quinn that I realized Wynston would never finish the Belsavis Dread Masters quest. (One only-semi-veiled Sith Warrior Act 3 spoiler in there, and not that one; also spoilers for the end state of Ruth Means Compassion.) I like to imagine that a week after Wynston went to all that effort to block the Dread Masters, an overly-trustingly enthusiastic Ruth - with a patriotically enthusiastic Quinn - dug them out again. Why? For deeply differing philosophical reasons that, in the end, come out to "Quinn and Wynston can never let each other have nice things."

Edited by bright_ephemera

My inner bad-idea machine whipped this up and wants it published right away! Parenthood: Generations, Rylon Niral and Pierce Junior of the Don’t Call Them Ruth-Less storyline (an official but decidedly goofy part of the Ruth-verse). No spoilers. 600 words.

The slim black-haired youth watched in consternation as the Fury interceptor streaked through atmosphere and came roaring to a barely-controlled, recklessly angled landing about five meters away from the house. The near wall of the building swayed gently, then crumbled from the force of the impact. The observer crossed his arms and directed a cobalt-blue glare at the huge red-haired man who swaggered out from the ship.

"Who are you supposed to be?" demanded the black-haired youth.

"Pierce, Junior."

"I was using that building."

Junior eyed the collapsed wall and shrugged. "Don't you have a whole estate back on Dromund Kaas? You're fine." He stuck out his hand. "Anyway, Mister Rylon Niral, it's a pleasure to meet you."

Rylon glared at Junior's hand. "You can't just go around wrecking buildings, you know."

"I have a long and illustrious history that says otherwise, my friend." Junior let his hand drop and smiled.

"Furthermore," grated Rylon, "I was expecting my father in person."

"Oh, that. The boss sent me instead. Said something like 'The kid's inconvenience is a worthwhile price to pay for the look on Quinn's face when he finds out I sent you.'" Junior gave Rylon a long once-over, taking in both the dark Sith robes and the ferocious scowl. "My, you're just a bundle of sunshine, aren't you?"

"My house just got knocked over!"

"Take it easy there. Heard you were going down the light-side path of serenity and temperance or rules-lawyering or whatever it is Light Side Sith do."

"I am. I'm practically a master of discipline and self-control."

"Niral, you're Force vandalizing my ship as we speak."

Rylon relaxed his left hand and attempted to look innocent. A noticeable streak of the Fury's paint job, having been mysteriously scraped loose, leaned and fell off the walls. "It was necessary," he said.

"In fact I detect visible waves of sullen annoyance coming off you."

"Disciplined sullen annoyance! This is entirely constructive! And what about you, huh? I'll note the damage I definitely didn't inflict there is dwarfed by the scorch marks already on that ship, no doubt from your reckless handling."

"Those were caused by my enemies, you idiot, because unlike some people I stick to teams that don't go in for friendly fire."

"At least I know when to stop breaking things."

"At least I have a sense of humor."

"At least I can be distinguished from a particularly clumsy nerf."

"At least I'm not a walking angst-ball."

"No wonder my father hates you."

"No wonder my father- well, no, Dad always thought you were adorable."

Rylon's eyes bulged. "I am not adorable!"

Junior grinned. "Especially when you're mad."

"Is there a reason you came crashing in here, Pierce?"

"Yeah. Was gonna pick you up to bring you by HQ, visit your father, all that stuff."

"I suppose I should be grateful you were paying attention long enough to get halfway through your assigned task."

"I'm always paying attention, kid. Don't forget it. Now, you coming or not?"

Rylon scowled and followed Junior onto the ship. "I'm Sith, you know," he grumbled. "That means I outrank you."

"I'll be sure to give that exactly the consideration it's due."

Junior got the ship under way and then strolled by a brooding Rylon in the holo room to place a call. The Chiss Wynston came up before long.

"Junior, good to hear from you. You found Rylon all right?"

"Sure did." A grinning Junior looked over to where Rylon was glaring daggers at him. "And he is everything you advertised. I do believe history's repeating itself as we speak."

"Ah. Try to avoid repeating it too closely. This time around the Quinn line has Force powers."

Rylon, for the first time, smiled.

Edited by bright_ephemera

My inner bad-idea machine whipped this up and wants it published right away! Parenthood: Generations, Rylon Niral and Pierce Junior of the Don’t Call Them Ruth-Less storyline (an official but decidedly goofy part of the Ruth-verse). No spoilers. 600 words.

So. much. win.

Edited by Earthmama

Here you go guys. I am not sure if there are any spoilers in here but just being safe. Enjoy.

Three...two...one! Wait! What? Where'd he go? The answer come thundering down as a vibrosword swung down in front of Tyrone as he threw himself into a rushed backwards roll. He brought his pistols up in front of him and unleashed all they had. Flashes of red flung themselves at the hulking figure that rushed towards him.

'You will have to do better than that to surprise me youngling' the gruff voice echoed around the cargo hold.

Tyrone's face pulled together in a snarl as he launched himself into a full sprint, running in a collision course with the Dashade. His eyes were pinched tight as testosterone raged through his changing body. A solid thud thundered through the ship as Zabrak and Dashade came together in a glorious tangle of arms and legs, neither noticing the thuds that they were making slowly bouncing a deep red and blue vase off the top of one of the crates. A shatter brought the two combatants to a terrified halt.

'Now look what you have done you hulking relic!' Tyrone spewed as horror and fear seeped into his body. Not mum's favourite vase! I'm so not getting the upgrades for my blasters!

'Relic? Relic! I ought to devour you, you pup!' Khem roared.

'I'd like to see you try! Too old to kill any more sith or jedi! Just stuck with baby sitting duty that I don’t need!' Neither figure noticed a tall shadow cross the room and stand watching them, arms folded. Shouts and threats grew louder and more outrageous!

'Enough!' Lightening crackled through the room, bouncing off the ceiling and onto the floor. Both Tyrone and Khem froze, what hair the pair had standing on end.

'Khem, my Shadow Killer, what on Hoth are you doing yelling ridiculous threats at my 16 year old son! Do I need to let Zash out for a little while?' The green in Khem's face grew even paler.

'And Tyrone! Homework! Now! I don't want to see you until you have memorised all of Havoc squads tactics and THEN you will clean out the engines!' A heavy sigh left the teenagers lips as he stomped off to his room.

Nirre lent against the wall staring at the broken pieces of her vase, her priced possession given to her on her wedding day by her mother. Warm arms surrounded her thin waist and drew her close.

'That was my favourite...Those two will be doing dishes TOGETHER for a long time to come.' A soft chuckle reached her clear blue eyes.

'Don't worry, I can always steal you another one! I know that woman has another five or six.' A warm grin spread across her face.

'Revel, you pirate! Stealing from your mother-in-law! That’s why I married you.'

Edited by Leonara

Here you go guys. I am not sure if there are any spoilers in here but just being safe. Enjoy.

Very nice idea, but unfortunately the formatting did make some of the action rather hard to follow; I would suggest throwing in an extra blank line for paragraph breaks, as large blocks of continuous text is quite daunting.

Just a few days and I fell so behind :) I love everyone's stories.

@SveinEternity Vette+Quinn = Best Trainwreck-ship ever.

@Magdalane LOved that scene in Always a Plan, just as good the second time through.

@Morgani I am president of your fanclub. It's declared somewhere :)

"Further, you will no longer bring your 'entertainment' into this house or I will see that enterprise dismantled as well."

@Tatile I hope I'm not the only one who thought the enterprise she was going to dismantle was below his belt :)

@irishfino ugh disgustin....d'awwww cute :)

@Iryfindel A belated welcome to the thread. Interesting SW interaction with Vette!

@Selentar Very interesting! I hope you write more.

@Vesaniae Your Darth Nox's are all awesome.

@bright_ephemera 6yo Rylon so cute :), I have every kind of crush on Vector :) he's good for whatever, I will resign myself to a platonic crush on Pierce Jr.

Sisterhood Part 6

A few spoilers for Jorgan's companion quests.

I really can't express how much I love Kabe. She's been the absolute perfect beta reader for this story. When I had issues getting from point A to point D, she had great ideas to spur me along. She really deserves a writing credit with all the ideas she's tossed my way. Thank you Kabe! <3 <3

Author Notice:

Her ship was familiar down to the last shadow. She walked her corridors and touched her surfaces. So real. Wasn't it real? Questioning the validity of her reality made no sense. But felt right. She went to her holo and found Nicci's personal frequency. Her elder sister took a moment, but answered. She always answered.

“Brei'yu,” Nicci said quietly, but warmly.

“Hi,” Brei'yu said uncertainly.

Nicci's brows knit. Ever perceptive and empathetic, she could tell something was off. “What's the matter, hon?” Nicci asked.

“Things have been strange. Wrong. I don't know. Strange and wrong. I just wanted... I needed to touch something right for a change,” Brei'yu answered.

Nicci looked concerned. “Brei'yu, where are you? I can come see you. I would have to bring the kids, Kav is away at training. Or you could come here. There are places on Alderaan where it's still safe for you to go, right?”

Brei'yu thought about it seriously for a moment, then decided against it. “Honesly, Nic, something is going on and it might not be such a good idea to get the kids involved. I really... I think maybe I need Ipha's frequency.”

“Ipha's?” Nicci didn't bother to hide her surprise. “Are you sure? She doesn't...”

“Talk about me, I know. But, I just have this feeling like I need to see her.”

Nicci looked over her shoulder. “One moment, please,” she said in hushed tones and Brei'yu found herself on hold. She waited and Nicci returned within moments. “I'm sorry. Father walked in and though I should, I don't tell him when you've called. Mother gets upset.”

“Father?” Brei'yu felt her breath seize in her lungs. “Father's there?”

“Yes. He spends so much time away from home. Barely gets to see his grandchildren. It's very sad, but his job is so important.”

“Father is there, right now?”

Nicci looked confused again. “Well, I'm at Mother's and Father's for dinner. I brought the kids since Kav won't be home tonight. What's the matter? You look pale.”

Brei'yu tried to calm her breathing, her eyes smarted like tears were trying to escape. Her father was dead. Nicci had called weeks ago and told her. Her father was dead. Who had Nicci spoken to? She heard Lord Vikis in her head, reminding her that something was wrong. This wasn't right, none of it was. And Ipha had something to do with it.

“Ipha's frequency, please Nicci. I need to speak with her.”

Nicci frowned but relented. “I hope... I hope you can be friends again,” she said when she finished giving Brei'yu the information. “Maybe it's time to heal that rift.”

“I'll let you know how it goes. Kiss the kids for me.” Brei'yu clicked off and stared at her blank holo. She hadn't spoken to Ipha for almost half her life. And though it was selfish of her, she found herself hoping her estranged sister was as confused and lost as she was.

Ipha fought against sleep. She was warm and sated, Jorgan's arm around her bare middle possessively and her back against his chest. It felt right, everything had felt right. It wasn't right, but for the moment, she just let herself float.

She could tell by his breathing that he wasn't sleeping either. The gentle rise and fall of his chest was soothing and welcome. She turned to him, tangled her legs with his and kissed him. He cupped her cheek in a way she had discovered she loved and sank into her mouth. She didn't want to be anywhere else.

Sometime later, after another gentle rise and desperate fall, she lay on top of him, getting her breath back. Her cheek resting against his chest, she gazed at the nightstand beside the bed, unseeing. She blinked and focused her eyes. She lifted her head and reached to the nightstand, her fingers closing around a silver pendant on a sturdy chain.

“What is this?”

Jorgan rumbled beneath her and opened his eyes. “I gave that to you when you made Captain,” he answered.

She studied the intricate silver twist housing the green stone, searching for a memory of familiarity. Deep down she knew it wouldn't come, but she wanted it anyway. “Were we...”

“Not yet. I bought the stone from a trader ages ago. Just seemed like something to have, I liked the color. I had it set when you got your promotion and I gave it to you. In congratulations I guess.”

“It's beautiful.”

“You thought so at the time too. It matches your eyes. You've worn it everyday since and take it off at night because you're afraid to break the chain.”

Ipha looked up at him and laid the pendant against her throat, attaching the clasp in the back. He looked at her with such love she thought her breath would stop. But they couldn't lay in bed all day, despite the fact that she'd give her right arm to do so. She could just get a cybernetic match to the left anyway.

“What else?”

“What else what?” Jorgan shifted, trying to pull her back down to him.

“What else do I have that should be familiar?” Ipha kissed him quickly then got up in search of her clothes. Jorgan watched her every step as she redressed, then got up himself.

“Well, let's take a look around.”

They went through every inch of their quarters, poking into boxes not opened in ages, flipping through data pads and their information. Most of it Ipha remembered, especially if it was something she had carried over from her childhood. She didn't appear to own much, though being a solider she never had. Her few personal possessions had stories, ones she remembered though sometimes differently than Jorgan. With a suppressed sigh of frustration, she nudged a case of data cubes to the side and found something she didn't recognize.

It was a tiny doll, obviously hand sewn and painted. It wore a blue dress the same color as its painted eyes and had silken brown hair skimming its shoulders. Ipha felt a chill of recognition, not because she'd seen the doll before, but because she knew its face.

“What's this?” she asked as Jorgan walked up to her back.

“You bought that on Voss some time ago. A young Voss girl was peddling them and you couldn't turn her away. All her dolls looked like Voss except this one. You bought it and put it away. I'd forgotten about it until now.”

“Why would I buy this?” she whispered.

“I asked you the same thing. You said she had a face you liked.”

Ipha shivered. “She looks like my sister.”

“Nicci? I don't think so.” Jorgan took the doll from her and examined it.

“Not Nicci. Brei'yu. The doll looks like Brei'yu.”

Jorgan looked from her to the doll. “I haven't met her. You've mentioned her maybe twice in all the time I've known you.”

“I don't want it. Eject it.”

Jorgan blinked. “You want to eject a doll into space.”

“Yes. It's creepy. Get rid of it.” Ipha turned and walked out.

Ipha was the only non-Force sensitive Kodrevas sister. Nicci had a touch of sensitivity, making her very empathetic. She was looked over by the Jedi and that suited her fine. Mavae was a full on Force user. And Brei'yu had something of the Force in her. Ipha never figured out what Brei had been hiding when they were young.

So she never put much stock in the Force. That was for other people. She'd take an auto cannon heavy and loaded in her hands over wiggling her fingers to get things done. Still, sometimes she had to wonder just how much of the Force interfered with her life. Especially when it had to do with her sisters.

Her personal holo sounded and she answered curiously, not recognizing the frequency. When Brei'yu popped into view, Ipha stared, dumbfounded. She blinked rapidly, as though her vision would clear and there would be someone else on the end of the connection. But it remained Brei'yu, looking a little nervous but holding her chin high.

Finally Ipha found her voice. “Really? You have some nerve, you know that?” She tried to keep her voice down, but her anger carried and drew Elara from the med bay and Jorgan from the bedroom.

Brei'yu said nothing for a moment, studying her younger sister with a critical eye. She took in the cybernetic ware on her face, the black hair she remembered as a kid. Green eyes angry and flashing. Except for the obvious machinery, Ipha was pretty much the way she remembered. Right down to the attitude.

“Nice to see you haven't changed in any way that matters,” Brei'yu said heatedly. This was already not going well.

“You're the last person in this galaxy that gets to tell me what matters,” Ipha snapped.

Brei'yu put her hands up in surrender. “Sorry. That came out wrong. You just still look like you. And you talk like you. How I remember. That's all I wanted to say.”

Ipha chuckled darkly. “You holoed me, now, to tell me I'm the same person I was at 14 when you drugged me and defected?”

Brei'yu hung her head for a moment. Her sister was still pissed off at that. Could she have expected any different? “I'm not going to apologize for the direction I chose to take my life in. I shouldn't have involved you. That was wrong and I'm sorry for it.”

Some of the tension left Ipha's shoulders. “Whatever. How did you get this channel?”

“Nicci. I called her and she gave it to me.”

Ipha blinked in surprise. “You can't be serious. Nicci knows how I feel about you.”

“I just have one question for you. Answer it, and I'll get out of your life for good since that seems to be what you want.” Brei'yu held her breath, expecting Ipha to cut the connection at any moment.

Ipha glanced at Jorgan who was paying very close attention to the conversation. He gazed back at her with his understanding eyes then gave a small nod. Ipha heaved a sigh and looked into the air for answers. Finally she shook her head. “Yeah, what do you want to know?”

Brei'yu felt her heart start to gallop. “Where's Father?”

Ipha's expression darkened. “You planning on paying him a visit?”

“Then he's... home?”

“Of course he's home! Where do you think Mother would have him interned?” Ipha's hands began to shake and she fought for control. It was still difficult to talk about her father. “His ashes are in the Rest of Final Days memorial. His site is not far down from Papa Ko.”

Brei'yu pressed her hands together in front of her mouth. “I just spoke to Nicci,” she said in a thick voice.

“You told me that already.” Ipha felt her breath growing short. Something was about to happen, she could feel it along her skin.

“Father was there. He's alive.”

The holo clattered out of Ipha's hands. Jorgan grabbed at her, afraid she might pass out, and Elara picked the holo up off the floor. After a moment of fiddling with it, she brought Brei'yu's connection back up. Ipha gazed around at the ship as though she didn't recognize where she was. Then she pulled herself away from Jorgan and went to the holo. Muttering to herself, she called her mother's home.

Her father answered with a cheery smile and a three year old boy on his hip. “Ipha, what a nice surprise. Say hello to Auntie Ee, Coyle.” The boy waved enthusiastically.

She stared with her mouth open, weakly waving back at her nephew. Jorgan came over and tightly took her hand. “Hi, Dad,” he said, nudging his stunned wife aside.

“Aric. Good to see you too. How are things? My daughter alright?” Gethe Kodrevas was a diplomat and an observant man.

“We've got some time coming to us,” Jorgan said. “Ipha's ready to go see you guys. Do you have some down time coming?”

Gethe set Coyle down and the boy took off out of the holo image. “Let me get back to you with that, son. But it will be great to have you both home for awhile.” He looked over his shoulder. “Marre is calling us for dinner. I'll bring it up there.”

“I love you, Father,” Ipha blurted suddenly.

Gethe grinned, making him look ten years younger. “I love you too, Ee. We can't wait to see you.” He cut the connection so he could have dinner with his grandchildren and Ipha burst into tears.

“It's not right. This isn't right,” she sobbed.

Brei'yu swiped at her cheeks, surprised at finding them wet. Their father hadn't seen her, but she'd heard his voice and that had been enough.

Ipha beckoned Elara over even as she tried to get a hold of herself and took the holo from her. “I don't understand. What's going on Brei?”

“Father died,” Brei'yu said. “You remember that?”

“Yes! Oh, yes. I remember. Why... how is this happening?”

“Things are different for you, aren't they?” Brei'yu asked, trying to keep hope out of her voice.

Ipha nodded even as she looked up into Jorgan's worried face. “Yes, some things are different. Two days gone, and things aren't like I remember.”

“It's happened to me too, Ipha. Something's happened. And it only seems to have happened to us.”

Ipha sucked back the tears and found her inner soldier. “Why would you think anything would have happened to me? You and I haven't spoken for 13 years. What do you know that you aren't telling me?”

Brei'yu clasped her hands tightly. “I've been... reminded of you many times since I woke up this morning. And there was this Sith lord... I don't know how to explain it. But there's something else. Did you have your medic run any tests on you lately?”

Ipha bit her lip, telling Brei'yu all she needed to know.

“Did.. you found something weird? On your brain?”

“How do you know that?' Ipha asked, but she knew.

“I have it too. Whatever happened to us, it caused those burns. You said you lost two days. I did as well. And the last thing I remember doesn't match up with what I woke up to.”

“Where do you last remember being Brei?”

“On Adris' ship, with... with Vector. We were about to board the Hutta orbital station. I remember the door opening and... that's all. Adris. Vector. They're gone.”

Ipha jerked. She looked at Jorgan who was silently following the conversation. “That's the last thing I remember as well. Going to Hutta.”

“We went,” Jorgan said. “Fa'athra the Hutt refused to see us and we left. We were barely on planet six hours.”

Ipha tilted her head and looked away. Something tickled at her mind. “No, that's not right. There's something else.”

Jorgan firmly took her arm, making her look at him. “That's all that happened. I was there.”

“Ipha?” Brei'yu said uncertainly.

“I need a minute,” she said, pulling her arm from Jorgan's grasp. “I just need to think this out.” She turned and walked away from him, reaching the bedroom before he thought to chase her. She locked him out, Brei'yu still observing in her hand. She heard Jorgan pounding on the outer door and calling her name.

“We need to meet,” Brei'yu said. “Are you going to be alright? Who is that guy?”

“He's my husband. Here, he's my husband. But he's not, really. He's supposed to be my Captain, but I'm the superior officer now. My head hurts.”

“I've noticed that happens to me too sometimes if I think too hard about this. We need to meet on Hutta. Whatever happened to us happened there and someone has answers.”

Ipha looked at the door. Jorgan had stopped trying to get her to let him in. Who did she trust? The man she had at some point married, who protected her back on the battlefield? Or the sister that abandoned her family and her government? “Brei'yu?”

Brei looked at Ipha across lightyears of open space. “Yeah?”

“When we were kids, Father used to take us to the park.”

“I remember,” Brei'yu answered. “There was that ancient tree with all the low branches to climb on. We used to scale it to the top and hang upside-down. We pretended we joined a traveling carnival.”

“You fell off of the top branch.”

“Yeah, broke three ribs, my collarbone and my arm,” Brei'yu said with a smile. “And as soon as I healed I climbed back up in that tree with you.”

“How soon can you get to Hutta?”

“A few hours. I'm on Nar Shaddaa.”

Ipha chewed her lip. “We're still in Hutt space. I'm going to have to get Garza to give me leave, or disobey orders.” She looked at the little image of her sister in hand. “It's time we climbed that tree again.”

<to be continued>

Sisterhood Part 6

Ipha fought against sleep. She was warm and sated, Jorgan's arm around her bare middle possessively and her back against his chest. It felt right, everything had felt right. It wasn't right, but for the moment, she just let herself float.

She could tell by his breathing that he wasn't sleeping either. The gentle rise and fall of his chest was soothing and welcome. She turned to him, tangled her legs with his and kissed him. He cupped her cheek in a way she had discovered she loved and sank into her mouth. She didn't want to be anywhere else.

Sometime later, after another gentle rise and desperate fall, she lay on top of him, getting her breath back. Her cheek resting against his chest, she gazed at the nightstand beside the bed, unseeing. She blinked and focused her eyes. She lifted her head and reached to the nightstand, her fingers closing around a silver pendant on a sturdy chain.

“What is this?”

Jorgan rumbled beneath her and opened his eyes. “I gave that to you when you made Captain,” he answered.

She studied the intricate silver twist housing the green stone, searching for a memory of familiarity. Deep down she knew it wouldn't come, but she wanted it anyway. “Were we...”

“Not yet. I bought the stone from a trader ages ago. Just seemed like something to have, I liked the color. I had it set when you got your promotion and I gave it to you. In congratulations I guess.”

“It's beautiful.”

“You thought so at the time too. It matches your eyes. You've worn it everyday since and take it off at night because you're afraid to break the chain.”

Ipha looked up at him and laid the pendant against her throat, attaching the clasp in the back. He looked at her with such love she thought her breath would stop. But they couldn't lay in bed all day, despite the fact that she'd give her right arm to do so. She could just get a cybernetic match to the left anyway.

This is devastatingly sweet. Not even in the cloying way, either.

So, so behind on the thread.

@Magdalane: perfect fit. Doesn't matter that it was a repeat, great to read again.

@Tatile: Very vivid images. We meet Grigor, and he is disgusting. I liked this a lot.

@Iryfindel: A very belated welcome! I like the interplay between Djem and Vette. I can totally see Vette tempting fate this way. Also, absolute props for writing in a non-native language. Had you not mentioned it in your intro, I wouldn't have known.

@Selentar: Lokin is so very Lokin in your story. Is there more coming? Maybe?

@ Vesaniae: A Sith parent wanting their child to be at the top of the class is a scary thing. I love how that's just so matter-of-fact in your story.

@Irrissa: Lovely follow-up. Lovely realization on Dakis' part.

@Bright: Pierce Junior and Rylon? Love the mutual taunting here.

@Morgani: I am very much enjoying this story, and very curious to see the resolution.

I apologize if I left anyone out; Everything in the thread has been fun to read, even if I did have to catch up several pages.:o

Affection, feat. A'tro and Quinn. No class storyline spoilers, but it does have spoilers for recent events of my fic, Afterimages.

A’tro stood in a glade in a pine forest. On one side, nature had piled boulders upward into a mound, over which a cascade of water spilled down into a clear, perfect pool. It appeared to be late afternoon; a pale yellow sun hovered near the horizon, and the sky was a breathtaking splendor of lavender and orange.

Arms encircled her shoulders, drawing her close against a body behind her.

“It’s beautiful, isn’t it?” Quinn murmured, resting his chin against the top of her head. “I don’t normally admire scenery, but…”

“It’s lovely,” A’tro agreed.

Quinn held her more tightly. “Not as lovely as you.”

She laughed softly, startled by the comment. “You’re lying,” she accused. “I look awful.”

“Not here. Not to me.”

She found herself suddenly unable to bear not being able to see him, and she twisted around in his hold. She reached up to touch his face, running her fingertips over the familiar contours.

He regarded her with stormy blue eyes, a faint smile on his lips. “I do love you,” he said quietly. “I hope you’re aware of that fact.”

A’tro’s hands went from his face to his body as she slid her arms around him, squeezing him with all of her strength. “I know,” she said. “I love you too. I always will.”

Quinn moved one hand against the back of her head, running his fingers through her hair. She stood on her toes to meet him as he leaned forward and kissed her tenderly.

“Oh, Malavai,” she whispered when he drew back. “I don’t know if I can do this.”

“You can,” he told her firmly. “You can, and you will, because you are strong.”

A’tro felt tears start to gather in her eyes. “Is this even real?”

Quinn kissed her again. “It is if you want it to be,” he said seriously.

“I do,” she said, her voice trembling. “I do…”

“Then it is real,” Quinn said with a smile. He held her for a moment longer, then gently pushed her away. “Time to go, my love. Don’t fret. I’ll be waiting, I promise.”

A’tro’s eyes snapped open, and she bolted upright, breathing hard. Looking around, she saw only the familiar darkness of her bedroom.

With a sigh, she sank back down into her lonely bed. She reached for Quinn’s pillow and hugged it against her, as she had done every night since his death. The pain had mostly faded, but a lingering echo remained constantly at the edges of her awareness.

She buried her face in the pillow, feeling a lump rise in her throat. Since that night on the balcony, she had not cried once. It seemed to her that she had exhausted her capacity for tears. But now, remembering the dream, she felt hot liquid burn in her eyes and slip silently across her face.

I want it to be real, she thought sadly. I want to believe…