The New Planet In 3.0

Lovethebeard

So ive seen a lot of threads and post regarding the new planet expected to drop with 3.0. Quiet a few of these posters are hoping for the new planet to work like Makeb and to me this seems quite strange. Of course this is all my opinion but wouldn't steering clear of Makebs layout be a better alternative?

To me, Makeb is one big daily planet with incredible mob density and little to no room for actual exploration(unless you plan on pulling mob after mob). I would like to think something more along the lines of Alderaan's layout would be a better fit for a new planet and I would like to get the forums opinion on how they would like the next planet to feel/look like.

Note: I'm not asking what planet you would like to see next. I'm simply asking what planet you would like it to resemble in layout and design :rak_03:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't totally sold on Makeb's "lots of little islands" approach. I'd rather a planet I can explore without resorting to fade-to-black taxi rides. If they had just let me experience the taxi ride like on earlier planets it might not all have felt so disjointed. I know it's the nature of the place, what with all the mesas and that, but I think they could have found a better way to transition between the areas.

I like wide open spaces that I can explore on my speeder (Tatooine is my favourite planet in the game). So another BIG planet with wide open spaces. If I can't have that then some proper jungle. There isn't a planet with a decent jungle on it, really. Some of the planets looked quite "jungly" in the concept art, but didn't quite turn out that way in the game.

Edit: I guess there's Kaas. That's jungly, I guess. Completely slipped my mind. :rolleyes: But it's all dark and blue. So, on reflection, a jungly planet that isn't all dark and blue. :D

Edited by PLynkes

Yeah I avoid Makeb as much as I can. The mob density being a big reason, the lack of class stories being the other one. In that sense Oricon was a better deal but of course very small as a planet.

So I'd like a planet with class stories and a dailies area of the quality of Oricon and great scenery. Also I'd like more taxi points. Alderaan was mentioned here and the one thing that really annoys me about Alderaan as a planet layout is the lack of taxi points.

I don't know if I am unusual in this but there's just lots of places I don't go to simply because I have to speeder for 10 mins before I even get there. If they want people to do more with the existing stuff, accessibility is a thing.

Our guild has a planet-ban on Makeb.

Seriously? What kind of guild bans people from planets?

Makeb is my second favorite planet behind Corellia, I don't know what you haters are going on about.

Edited by Zoom_VI

Seriously? What kind of guild bans people from planets?

Makeb is my second favorite planet behind Corellia, I don't know what you haters are going on about.

It has way too many mobs in areas, which prevents people from plowing through. Funny thing is, people complained that there are not enough mobs and that the worlds look dead before Makeb was released.

It has way too many mobs in areas, which prevents people from plowing through. Funny thing is, people complained that there are not enough mobs and that the worlds look dead before Makeb was released.

Yep, people are never happy, this is why devs don't listen to the majority of suggestions in any game :)

I would be devastated if the new planets were anything like Makeb. Makeb was the worst thing to ever happen to this game. It was laid out in a way that not only made me not interested in doing dailies or TC on it, but also bad enough I don't even want to run the main story again after my first 2 runs through.

Here's how you fix that on a "mesa" type planet. Instead of having the taxi point on a corner with a 30 minute fight to get to any quest objective, instead have the taxi point drop you into the middle. Your quest hub would be in the middle, you pick up your objectives and no matter which direction you pick something is within a reasonable distance. If you want to do all the quests, it's still going to take the same amount of time, but you are making more consistent progress towards achieving something.

The next major point to fixing the next major expansion planet, rewards. We have to want to be there and not fleet. So, this is where I'm hoping Bioware is getting creative and designing a system we will want to get into. A faction rep system is fine, as long as there is something to it. I'd have something that takes a long time to earn, but with a real payoff at the end. I'm thinking White/White or Black/Black dyes, for personal use only not to craft. I don't believe Bioware is making a ton of money off dye packs since their implementation was so unpopular, so here's a way to get some mileage out of that instead of a trickle of cash. Good decorations for GSH will be in demand. Also, I'd have story mode flashpoint gear there for cash. Most people would be using it for gearing their companions, but I'd appreciate having that option available to fill in some missing spots.

I'd make the reputation grind take longer, but with better variety that actually makes it not a grind. What I'd institute here would be one of two things. 1) skirmishes, which are 1 player flashpoints with your companions. They'd be designed from the ground up to allow 3 companions + you with no puddles of stupid for your companions to get stuck in. 2) real time world events. On a random basis say every 10 minutes, some scenario would start. All the players in the area flock together and take it on collectively. They don't have to group to do this, it just occurs organically. Plenty of other MMO's have used these 2 systems to basically get people off the fleet and into the world.

Also, named mobs that drop something good. Like 2 elite comms, medium rep for a solo named mob and 2 ultimate comms, large rep for 1 or 2 world mini-bosses that would need a group of 4 to beat. This wouldn't be a camp and find them situation, these would be on a table that just randomly pop up anywhere on the world. So while we're out hunting we can find them.

Edited by annabethchase

Makeb by far has the single most amount of effort put into it. Of all the planets it has the best planetary story, brand new and unique models used in it (not identical spaceport #394) plus the amount of perceivable work that was put into creating the atmosphere was superb, and it has a nice soundtrack to boot.

we all know what planet will be-manaan,look at the spoilers about it in-newest post about it + the most recent stream.

While I would like to see Manaan as a planet, I highly doubt it will be. From the streams you can see it is labeled as a flashpoint, plus people have been saying it would be a flashpoint even before that due to some things being uncovered by 'you-know-who' on Reddit.

Edited by Essence_of_Light

we all know what planet will be-manaan,look at the spoilers about it in-newest post about it + the most recent stream.

Ignoring any rumors regarding data mined information, Mannan sounds like CZ-198, Forged Alliances style FP(s) or Tion Hegemony type FP(s) based on the way this was announced. If it were for 3.0, I think we would have seen a trailer not a history note.

While I would like to see Manaan as a planet, I highly doubt it will be. From the streams you can see it is labeled as a flashpoint, plus people have been saying it would be a flashpoint even before that due to some things being uncovered by 'you-know-who' on Reddit.

Even if you discard that, there was this bug for a time where sub-LV55's could access the conversation that precedes the Manaan flashpoint.

I tried it myself with my LV26 Shadow or so.

Again, this was in the LIVE SERVERS, not the PTS or anything.

EDIT:

The above was over three(!!!) months ago.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

So ive seen a lot of threads and post regarding the new planet expected to drop with 3.0. Quiet a few of these posters are hoping for the new planet to work like Makeb and to me this seems quite strange. Of course this is all my opinion but wouldn't steering clear of Makebs layout be a better alternative?

To me, Makeb is one big daily planet with incredible mob density and little to no room for actual exploration(unless you plan on pulling mob after mob). I would like to think something more along the lines of Alderaan's layout would be a better fit for a new planet and I would like to get the forums opinion on how they would like the next planet to feel/look like.

Note: I'm not asking what planet you would like to see next. I'm simply asking what planet you would like it to resemble in layout and design :rak_03:

I don't think when people are asking for a "Makeb-like" planet they are talking about the layout or mob density. I believe most are referring to having a full sized planet instead of a small daily area. One that has a substantial solo quest arc and related flashpoints and operations.

As far as layout goes, I personally prefer big planets with lots to explore, but I know that isn't a universal like. I would happily suffer with mesas in the sea if they do Maanan :p

Makeb is the place I go when I want to do "relaxing" dailies. Most the mobs can just about one-shotted with today's gear, plus I enjoy the scenery and there are plenty of places to explore.

Sure, for a fully maxed out lvl 55 character, it's a blast (litterally) to do the dailies there.

For a newly graduated lvl 50 with gear bought from the Makeb planetary vendor, it's a slow and arduous slog.

I tend to avoid Makeb with my characters that reach lvl 50 and instead grind dailies on Black Hole and Belsavis to get to at least lvl 53 before heading to makeb.

I don't think when people are asking for a "Makeb-like" planet they are talking about the layout or mob density. I believe most are referring to having a full sized planet instead of a small daily area. One that has a substantial solo quest arc and related flashpoints and operations.

As far as layout goes, I personally prefer big planets with lots to explore, but I know that isn't a universal like. I would happily suffer with mesas in the sea if they do Maanan :p

I love large planets with lots to explore.

the first time I visit.

But it gets pretty dull and slow to go to hoth for the umpteenth time.

I would be nice if they had a planet that was large with lots to explore but with compact and easily accessed daily areas for when you visit there later.