Gunnery commando with a blaster rifle instead of cannon

DarthThadian

So, i bought my character a blaster rifle and equipped it and, after trying it out and reading through all skill descriptions, i came to the conclusion that only Hail of Bolts requires a cannon. Therefore, am i missing something, or is such a build viable? I am talking mostly about pvp, pve is secondary (although i can always swap the cannon back on if needed, obviously)

I made a YouTube video about that a while ago.

Here's the link:

But is that video still valid for recent updates?

Also, which discipline are you talking about? Because as gunnery, i can confirm only hail of bolts is unavailable

Edited by DarthThadian

• 4 weeks later...
perfectly doable as a healer... bought her the rifle "Causality" which does a nice machine-gun sound when i use med shot... you can t use several dmg skills though, also propulsion grenade doesn t work, but damn does she look good with that weapon :) Edited by Dimitir

I kinda hate video guides. Especially when they're 8+ minutes long and we only need an answer to a simple question.

As Gunnery, or Combat Medic, are you losing anything significant by using a rifle?

I kinda hate video guides. Especially when they're 8+ minutes long and we only need an answer to a simple question.

As Gunnery, or Combat Medic, are you losing anything significant by using a rifle?

I think all healing skills will work. But several DPS skills can't be activated without an Assault cannon. Not so critical for a healer, I guess, if you are playing casually. A very bad idea for Gunnery (your main AoE skill won't work, for example).

There's casual and then there's a tier below called gimping yourself to look different casual.

You lose 2x20m worth of backwards dash. The only fast mobility tool that Commandos have and essential to staying safe in dangerous fights or simply travelling.

Your AOE sucks without Hail of Bolts.

Your single target damage sucks without Charged Bolts.

Unless you're in hard content you have loads of time and resources which can either be spent overhealing because you don't know any better or stuffing in some damage to help the fight along.

The desire to roleplay has to outweigh your mobility and damage output for having a rifle to make sense over a cannon.

Edited by Gyronamics