Cross-faction PvP mega server

Jinre_the_Jedi

Since PvP will be cross-faction soon, wouldn’t it make more sense for everyone to be on the same server, so that Elo can work as intended?

Aside from the cost to server xfer, extreme cases of outlandish ping and home server ties, wouldn’t this make sense?

High Ping isn't something you can just dismiss casually.

Aside from that- No, it would not make sense.

If the game was PvP only, maybe, but whether you admit or not the bulk of the game is PvE centric and a mega-server would create plenty of hassles for the PvE players. (Re-read all the old 'merge servers now' threads for arguments against another server change. The issues have not changed).

I think the main idea of making pvp cross faction was to enlarge the pool of participants in order to employ these new matchmaking changes. So I think making the game one server, or even one US server, would be skipping ahead. In time, I do see one US server.

That said, when a game goes from 90 servers to one... iirc that usually gets a lot of negative news play... So I would think that they would be apprehensive to do that.

SS and SF server pops are by no means awesome, but they get the job done.

Edited by AndriusAjax

SS and SF server pops are by no means awesome, but they get the job done.

Choose SF. The players on SF are friendlier, higher skilled pvpers. I'm told hey also have higher IQs and bathe more frequently too. All important factors to consider when choosing a server to play on.

Choose SF. The players on SF are friendlier, higher skilled pvpers. I'm told hey also have higher IQs and bathe more frequently too. All important factors to consider when choosing a server to play on.

They are also better looking, and snappier dressers. I know when I play on SF I'm in formal attire. :D

Best solution would be if they did like the leading MMO does, leave it as multiple servers but make ALL queues cross server. Ops, regular PvP, GSF, FP, Uprising all should be cross server. Yes even ranked PvP, ponder that a minute. Of course crossed servers should only be by region though.

This way no server merge is needed, the pools are approximately doubled, people do not need to server transfer.

Oh it must be super hard development wise right? Well, actually, not really. Takes a little time maybe, difficult: No. And would take less than 1% development time it would take to prepare and execute a server merge.

Since PvP will be cross-faction soon, wouldn’t it make more sense for everyone to be on the same server, so that Elo can work as intended?

Aside from the cost to server xfer, extreme cases of outlandish ping and home server ties, wouldn’t this make sense?

I relatively simple implementation could be a class copy feature, like the pts, or guest in server that's not actually listed but only contains arenas (a light server) . You would still need to obtain gear from your "home server" but the ranked matches would contain people from all over.

But Elo never really works as intended and likely never will. That's part of why the tokens came about in order to allow you to still get prizes if you did enough matches. Take this into account: 25 and 5 doesn't get you the same rating as 25 and 5 or 25 and 5. for example. Yes 3 times, even if all of the are against the same people where your wins are located is more important than whom they are against. if the 25 wins are up front you will be way higher than someone with 5 losses upfront or someone who has them every so often such as every 5th match. Cross server wont fix that.

Best solution would be if they did like the leading MMO does, leave it as multiple servers but make ALL queues cross server. Ops, regular PvP, GSF, FP, Uprising all should be cross server. Yes even ranked PvP, ponder that a minute. Of course crossed servers should only be by region though.

This way no server merge is needed, the pools are approximately doubled, people do not need to server transfer.

Oh it must be super hard development wise right? Well, actually, not really. Takes a little time maybe, difficult: No. And would take less than 1% development time it would take to prepare and execute a server merge.

Makes sense.

But I remeber people asking for x-server q's since day 1.

Makes sense.

But I remeber people asking for x-server q's since day 1.

And Bioware have already said it’s not possible due to technical problems.

Now, wether that was because back then the servers were in different regions or because the engine can’t handle it or because they don’t have the money, who knows.

I can never see x-server happening because what ever the reason, they would be investing more money in a declining game’s population. They are more likely to merge the US servers before making them x-server.

Realistically, they shouldn’t have even made 2 servers when they did the mergers (if they weren’t going to put them in seperate regions). Lots of us said at the time that in 12-18 months we would be in a similar position as we were before the mergers. Now we are 7-8 months after the mergers and populations are still dropping.

Cross faction will probably help push that 12 month prediction to 18 months, but it’s not the golden bullet. I predict in 12 months from now (especially if 6.0 isn’t released early next year and is successful), we will see servers in worse shape than before the last mergers.

Honestly, if 5.9.2 doesn’t work, then I have fears we may not even see 6.0. If that happens, they’ll probably stop all content patches and merge ALL servers into only one and base it on the east coast.