Equal gear and handicap better players

harichalupa

But the poster is right: swtor pvp makes it very hard for a new interested player. Comments like: "I got an idea, learn to play" are totally unhelpful and miss the real message the guy is sending, which was basically just a nice kiss off. The guy was looking for a fun game and he walked into the swtor pvp buzz saw. There are probably a lot of guys like him.

While 70 regs is, well 70 regs, a person should not be jumping into those as a brand new level 70 and expecting to learn how they are done. That's what lowbies are for.

Jumping into those and not knowing what to do, where to go, what abilities to take, and a good rotation is going to make a person miserable. So yeah, gear might be an issue but a good part of it is probably the player as well.

After playing for a while it seems that getting to 248 will just take way too long. Almost all the decent players have top gear. This is upside down. Playing against better players who have better gear who then win more mats, is really uninviting. In golf the better players wisely get less strokes to make for better competition. Some people say all gear should be equal, but I would go further and suggest some kind of nerf for every 100 points of elo above 1500. For every 100 points above 1500 your gear ranking drops 3. Something like that. I do love the interface and the mechanics and the classes. It's a cool fun game and I love the madness of the warzones, and man are some of those players crazy good. I just wish it were more accessible to someone trying to join in.

I've seen on these boards some of the skilled players saying gear doesn't really matter. If so, then they shouldn't really mind.

I agree, somebody really needs to handicap Birdguano. Dude out there doing work.

While 70 regs is, well 70 regs, a person should not be jumping into those as a brand new level 70 and expecting to learn how they are done. That's what lowbies are for.

Jumping into those and not knowing what to do, where to go, what abilities to take, and a good rotation is going to make a person miserable. So yeah, gear might be an issue but a good part of it is probably the player as well.

You make a valid point but lowbies and midbies don’t pop enough for people to learn

This is 99% true and is why pvp is so crap these days.

Remember when we all had to learn in lowbies and mids because learning at max level was so hard you couldn’t get out of the respawn without dying before you hit the ground. (Exaggeration)

But it is where most of us learned to pvp. Now these guys jump into end game pvp (which is what lvl 70 is) and they can’t play their classes properly and have a terrible time. I would say it’s even harder for them since Bioware dumbed down the pve aspects of the game and people don’t know what DCDs are or even half their abilities because they only needed to AOE the whole way to lvl 70.

I’ve been saying this for a few years now, but I’ve really ramped it up in threads actually asking Bioware to make lowbies and Mids relevant again so people will learn to pvp in them. The more of us that make a noise about this and keep the subject alive (preferably in the gen section as Bioware hardly read the pvp section), the more likely they will do something.

Here’s a thread Lhance started - http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=946356#post9564556

Gear does not make you a better player and is no substitute for skill. But those who think gear gaps are needed aren’t really serious about playing skill based pvp. They only want them to give themselves an edge over people who would normally kick their butts.

Gear is a seperate issue from this and really only affects those people fighting people of equal skill lvls and losing only because of gear.

People should be made to pvp in lowbies and Mids to learn before they can get into lvl 70 pvp. This could take the form of needing a bare minimum of Valor (30-50) and before they have that Valor their character gets put put back into mid bracket with a nerf to their lvl 70 abilities/utility and gear. Ideally everyone in Mids or lowbies should have all their abilities and utilities bolstered to max ones for that bracket. Then everyone in that bracket is on a lvl playing field.

Edited by TrixxieTriss