Keybinds vs clicking

cub-lover

ok ok we all know the score but does it REALLY matter in the end how another player chooses to play, i mean some one who clicks instead of key binds, isn't affecting how you play is it?, or if some one is using WASD instead of mouse turning, once again it does not affect how you play, so why is their raging against it or people making snide comments about it?

yes we all know the advantages of key binds and mouse turning, but why belittle some one else for playing how they feel comfortable?

I use a mixture of key binds and clicks, and i rarely ever mouse turn in PVP simply because i'm more comfortable with how i play than how some one wants me to play.

For example i play a scoundrel DPS i know its unthinkable to see a scoundrel NOT healing in PVP, and guess what? I ENJOY being a scoundrel DPS in PVP even if i get face rolled , or lolsmashed what ever i am more comfortable in the Dirty Fighting skill tree than i am in sawbones, just because EVERYONE else say to me please don't sign up for PVP unless your sawbones spec. I just laugh and kindly tell them i play my characters how i want to play them, so don't try to tell me other wise, its not harming your character in any way.

My point is if someone prefers clicking and back peddling let them it's their play style don't try to force your own on them.

FYI: this is NOT a troll thread before anyone starts with the 1/10 crap

Because having a clicking keyboard turning bad on my team brings my whole team down, and just makes it so I have even more weight to carry.

What gives you the right to be the dead weight on the team? Do you really feel entitled to have the better players carry you while you derp around and make your team lose?

Hope I answered your question.

It's bad because it's less effecient than fully keybinding and never backpeddling.

/thread

Do not listen to this poster concerning this topic.

SWTOR has a 1.5 second GCD. You can effectively play this game and NEVER experience a problem clicking.

If your preferred playstyle is engaging 1v1, then yeah.. keybinding is the only way to go.

If youre a tank.. not needed at all

healer? not needed at all

range DPS.. not needed at all

melee dps? maybe a little, but not NEARLY as much as everyone would have you believe.

Keybinding in SWTOR does not make for faster attacks.. or more fluid rotations (reference the 1.5 second GCD).

It serves 1 function..

Freeing your mouse to move your character, making 180s and such (which can be accomplished by nimble-fingered key turners using AWE or QWD + jump)

Anywho.. keybinding simplifies movement.. that is all.

It's still less effecient. Takes away time that you spend looking at your cursor that could've been spend inspecting the situation/surroundings (aka more awareness).

There is absolutely NO valid argument that justifies clicking over keybinding.

Seriously, make the switch. Bind everything. I assure you, that you will NEVER go back to clicking.

SWTOR has a 1.5 second GCD. You can effectively play this game and NEVER experience a problem clicking.

If your preferred playstyle is engaging 1v1, then yeah.. keybinding is the only way to go.

melee dps? maybe a little, but not NEARLY as much as everyone would have you believe.

Keybinding in SWTOR does not make for faster attacks.. or more fluid rotations (reference the 1.5 second GCD).

It serves 1 function..

Freeing your mouse to move your character, making 180s and such (which can be accomplished by nimble-fingered key turners using AWE or QWD + jump)

When I am on my carnage marauder and I see a keyboard turner I berkerk > leap to the back of the sorc > ravage. Since their AOE knockback is a cone they have to turn their toon around quickly to not eat ravage ticks. And since they are rooted they cannot jump and turn. A keyboard turner will not be able to knock me back in time and likely die while a mouse turner would stop me with ease.

So how is it not needed at all again?

When I am on my carnage marauder and I see a keyboard turner I berkerk > leap to the back of the sorc > ravage. Since their AOE knockback is a cone they have to turn their toon around quickly to not eat ravage ticks. And since they are rooted they cannot jump and turn. A keyboard turner will not be able to knock me back in time and likely die while a mouse turner would stop me with ease.

LOL Yeah; when I leveled my scrapper I could tell if someone was a keyboard turner and it might as well have been a bloody carcass in shark infested waters. Especially in lowbies when a lot of players are bad anyway and you could kill some of these players without even getting hit back.

I think it's funny that the tards who buy a 20-button mouse think they are better than people who click.

Some things can't be clicked and targeting without delay: such as death from above, death field, suppressive fire, kolto missile.

The most important bind is: THROW THE HUTTBALL

If you play knight/warrior or smuggler/agent and only click you might never miss a tick.

And for the record, i use a trackball because it's faster and more accurate than a mouse with no wrist movement. I can also play entirely with keybinds or entirely with clicking (a lot more effort) which is great for lighting a cigarette mid-battle.

i never said it wasn't needed, all i said was don't try to force people into playing how you want them to play, yeah its not as efficient but in all honesty, does it REALLY matter when SWTOR is just another game like COD or mario kart so a win or a loss makes no difference. Yes people prefer to win over loosing but big deal it IS JUST a game.

Some things can't be clicked and targeting without delay: such as death from above, death field, suppressive fire, kolto missile.

Ever tried holding your left mouse button down, then pressing the ability and then letting go?

There you have no delay..

Wow, wonder what else I can school you guys...

Edited by Evolixe

When people talk about keybinding being more efficient, what they're talking about in most cases is saving fractions of a second. Now, a good player can do a lot of damage to you if you give him that fraction of a second opening. But frankly, most players (in Regs, grouped ranked is another story) aren't that good.

So I'd say if you plan on going into grouped ranked (I don't know how solo ranked will shake out skill-wise), yeah, switch to keybindings. But a more casual player might find that the effort involved in making the switch not really worth it.

Because having a clicking keyboard turning bad on my team brings my whole team down, and just makes it so I have even more weight to carry.

What gives you the right to be the dead weight on the team? Do you really feel entitled to have the better players carry you while you derp around and make your team lose?

Hope I answered your question.

Okay then let me put it in terms you understand better. What gives you the right to judge another person as a bad player for playing how they want to? it may have a very SLIGHT impact on the overall team performance. But nothing of a major importance.

By your view on the topic, responding to you is an utter waste of words, and you should be grateful for even doing so.

For others to try and enforce their own game play prefrences is like me trying to force you to eat peanuts and like them even if you have an allergy to them.

Okay then let me put it in terms you understand better. What gives you the right to judge another person as a bad player for playing how they want to? it may have a very SLIGHT impact on the overall team performance. But nothing of a major importance.

You can't speak. You havn't fully keybinded.

I've been a clicker once, and for the last 3 years a fully decked out keybinder. Clicking is bad.

If you made the change you would agree with me, but untill you have done so.. your opinion is void.

This game is my first MMO. I used to keyboard turn and click abilities. Then I tried keybinding and mouse turning about 15 months ago. It took me a full month to adapt myself to where I was comfortable but now I would never go back to keyboard turns and clicks. After binding for a year, it simply does not make sense to me for anyone to keyboard turn and click abilities. My pvp is so much more fluid, it flows. I am able to pay better attention instead of looking for my abilities to click on the hotbars. I am able to tell (almost subconsciously) what abilities are available and which are on cooldown without ever taking my eyes off of the action. My peripheral vision takes care of it for me instead of my central vision.

When you click abilities your central vision has to be distracted momentarily or you risk clicking the wrong ability. It's that simple.

Edited by madcappah
  • Like 1

ok ok we all know the score but does it REALLY matter in the end how another player chooses to play, i mean some one who clicks instead of key binds, isn't affecting how you play is it?, or if some one is using WASD instead of mouse turning, once again it does not affect how you play, so why is their raging against it or people making snide comments about it?

yes we all know the advantages of key binds and mouse turning, but why belittle some one else for playing how they feel comfortable?

I use a mixture of key binds and clicks, and i rarely ever mouse turn in PVP simply because i'm more comfortable with how i play than how some one wants me to play.

For example i play a scoundrel DPS i know its unthinkable to see a scoundrel NOT healing in PVP, and guess what? I ENJOY being a scoundrel DPS in PVP even if i get face rolled , or lolsmashed what ever i am more comfortable in the Dirty Fighting skill tree than i am in sawbones, just because EVERYONE else say to me please don't sign up for PVP unless your sawbones spec. I just laugh and kindly tell them i play my characters how i want to play them, so don't try to tell me other wise, its not harming your character in any way.

My point is if someone prefers clicking and back peddling let them it's their play style don't try to force your own on them.

FYI: this is NOT a troll thread before anyone starts with the 1/10 crap

Play the way you feel most comfortable. Keybind, mouse, or clicking it's all a matter of preference. When I play some one I have no idea whether they are a clicker or not. Some people will argue the point because they had been made fun of by another player. So they try a new skill and get really good at that.

I will admit there are certain things that might come easier to keybinders like, facing target and type speed. But I personally have quickly adapted my game to match theirs. And now the only thing that slows me down is the GCD lol.

That's my two cents.

Those "Fractions" of a second count up véry quickly one after another.

And can most definitely mean the difference between Victory and Defeat. Life and Death.

Not arguing that. But when I first switched, I literally gave up twice before it stuck. You will spend at least a couple weeks just getting facerolled while you hit the wrong key and are constantly looking at your keyboard trying to avoid that, instead of paying attention to the action. It's not as easy as flipping on a toggle, and in Regs, for the most part, you can definitely do "good enough" just with clicking.

Whether "good enough" is acceptable or not is up to you.

It serves 1 function..

You make a good point with the GCD. I personally am much faster with unleashing my abilities than the average rank pvper. This might be because I played this game since launch, and know every class weaknesses and strengths. However a clicker can duel a keybinder and still win.

I am sure it's happen before.

By your view on the topic, responding to you is an utter waste of words, and you should be grateful for even doing so.

For others to try and enforce their own game play prefrences is like me trying to force you to eat peanuts and like them even if you have an allergy to them.

Yeah, it seems like your argument is not really keybinds vs clicks, its more like a philosophical argument of "in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter so let them do what they want". The same argument can be made about people not getting good gear or not augmenting gear-it's their money let them buy what they want with it, why do they have to buy kits and augments?

Just like not augmenting, clicking instead of keybinding does have an effect on the battle field. Keyboard turning has a huge effect on the battle field (I can easily kill a keyboard turner, but a mouse turner is more of a challenge). I won't go into why it has an effect as I believe a few others gave many reasons why already, but I will say that it is annoying having them on my team, just as it is annoying having someone unaugmented or geared in BM gear.

It all comes down to respect for other peoples time. We all put in our time and effort to try to win, and if someone just doesn't want to put any effort into learning how to keybind, or taking an hour to learn about he bolster or invest some of his money in augments, I don't want to play with that person. If he doesn't have enough money for all augments, no problem; if he still can't understand some aspects of the bolster, its ok; If his/her hands are too small to keybind every single little combination possible or he is still learning how to do it, not a problem. We all went through this at some point and might go through it again later.

But when a person is too lazy to learn a better way to play, I feel like he does not respect the time of his teammates and I do not want to give him any of my time in return. You get as much as you put in, imo.

If you click, you practically have to keyboardturn, since you cannot use your mouse to move. Is that bad? Well, comparatively speaking, yes.

For instance in a melee 1v1 fight, you will find that the person keyboardturning deals considerably less damage because half of the time they get the error message that they are not facing their target, who is moving around them. This, for melee, is a huge difference. I can for instance survive melee keyboardturning DPS by just running around them, and they have to blow their CDs just to get me in one place. There is no statistic on this, but I would imagine that the melee keyboardturner deals 30% or so less damage just because half of the time they are "not facing their target".

From a healer perspective, keybinds are considerably quicker. Does it make a difference if I get Kolto Probes on my whole team because I have them keybound or if I get them on half of the team because I have to click the player, click the ability, click another player? Yes, a huge difference.

You need to imagine the picture in a sort of, who gets more abilities in. Obviously someone who gets more abilities in, as keybinds are faster is more efficient, especially in PvP.

The amount of time it takes for someone to get used to a full set of keybindings after having clicked for a very long amount of time completely differs per person.

It might've taken you 2 weeks, It took me 1-2 days. You just have to stand strong.

Because after a while, those keybindings are going to save your life.

You can't speak. You havn't fully keybinded.

I've been a clicker once, and for the last 3 years a fully decked out keybinder. Clicking is bad.

If you made the change you would agree with me, but untill you have done so.. your opinion is void.

here's a list of all the keybinds i use on my scoundrel F1 F2 F3 F V Q R T H J 7 8 for my second quick bar that is

For my third quick bar i use 1 2 3 4 5 6, and i find no diffrence in clicking than i do in using my binds since i click and use my bidns.

my first quickbar is justh te default 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 =

No matter how much you like clicking you will perform better with keybinding. It's a no-brainer stuff. You like it - it's your game your experience, but keybinding is a more pro version of this game and imo it's much more comfortable.

If it's your first MMO, you like this genre, so starts saving money for Logitech G600 (preferable) or Razer Naga, you won't regret a cent that you spend on this hardware.

Yeah but an experience sorc dps or healer would know when to use force barrier which would eat up all your tics and crits. Then slow you down while you wait for the GCD, and dot you up. Get a safe distance away and hit range dps crits on you as you slowly die from the inside. We would also pop our self heal trinket just to absorb what dps you gained on us.

Not so simple when you face off against an experience pvper clicker or not.