Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New Species? Why not classes?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
New Species? Why not classes?

blackopsranger
09.19.2019 , 11:37 AM | #1
Anyone have insight into why there have been no new classes despite there being new species. I mean looking at other "successful MMOs" they added classes in addition to species when they released their expansions. KOTEE/KOTFE could have been a prime opportunity to do this.
Will we see new ones in the expansion, no. definitely not. and really all it is using a "C-Table" and mixing matching from the new class equivalents. For Example, Blazing bolts and heat-seeker missiles for a Gormak XX.
<Tragic Heroes>

Kraysk
09.19.2019 , 11:56 AM | #2
Well, because it's 1000 times easier to implement new species then new lvl 1 to 75 story with plot, cut scenes, voice acting etc?
This game is too dead and makes too little profit for BW for such spending of time and money.

Jdast
09.19.2019 , 12:11 PM | #3
In addition to what Kraysk said, what would a new class do differently?

SWTOR released with more than 8 classes in many respects since within each class except for dual saber there is more than one, or at least dramatic differences.

I'm not opposed to the idea per se, but I'm curious about what you think the new class should / would be besides graphical combat differences.

Dasty

kcirevamnalyd
09.19.2019 , 12:12 PM | #4
In regards to a new class, a 3rd advance class added? Something that could be Hybrid of the current Adv classes? Or are you looking for a completely new model outside of the 8/16 Class/Advance system we have now. If a complete new model, do tell - and please don't use terms/classes from other mmo's (I don't give a rat's #$%) about hearing "they (bioware) should make a class like wOw's Priest, etc and yadi, yadi. Sell me on you ideas, if they are good I'll support it.
Odessen: Republic Trooper: We can't do everything on our own. We need more people or better equipment.
Not All Heroes Use the Force.

casirabit
09.19.2019 , 12:31 PM | #5
Also remember one thing when adding a new class to one faction, you need to have a mirror class on the opposite faction and that is not always easy nor cost efficient in the long run. Most people can come up with one factions new class but they have a problem coming up with the opposite faction's mirror faction.
A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing. If you like redheads click my Referral link Referral: http://www.swtor.com/r/VkfKqj https://poshmark.com/closet/tmcevoy1121

MorseGod
09.19.2019 , 12:33 PM | #6
The answer to your inquiry is readily available in the 9,000 other threads on this exact topic. You don't even have to search very hard to find them. You can probably find multiple threads on this topic in the first 5 pages of this forum.

Let's rehash the main points (again):

• No necessary role for a new class to fill (lack of need)
  • Insufficient development resources to create:
    • 2 advanced classes
    • Faction mirror
    • Pub and Imp core stories (Lv 1-50 content)
    • Adjustments to existing content to integrate new class
Guildmaster, Help (Star Forge)
Join us on Discord!
Was this post helpful? Please click my referral link.

Batwer
09.19.2019 , 01:46 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by blackopsranger View Post
Anyone have insight into why there have been no new classes despite there being new species. I mean looking at other "successful MMOs" they added classes in addition to species when they released their expansions. KOTEE/KOTFE could have been a prime opportunity to do this.
Will we see new ones in the expansion, no. definitely not. and really all it is using a "C-Table" and mixing matching from the new class equivalents. For Example, Blazing bolts and heat-seeker missiles for a Gormak XX.
Simply stated: BW would like to spend as little money as possible.
You! Yes, exactly you! Click me:
http://www.swtor.com/r/zwyYS6

DreadtechSavant
09.19.2019 , 04:31 PM | #8
Topic has been covered many time in the past and resent past at that. All the same reasons given then will be ones given now as indeed in the thread a few days ago. Then again the OP knows this as he/she has been posting since 2014.

Not sure if BW has or has not given an official response about new classes, but for me the no response is as good as saying not going to happen. If BW has given a reply guess I must have just missed it.

I believe most players would like new classes (always some who won't I guess) so OP don't take the not going to happen as a negative reply or as don't want it, it's just players being more realistic.

LordRapheus
09.19.2019 , 06:24 PM | #9
I've always been in favor of a non force sensitive melee class, using a Star Wars martial arts form previously only known in a Mortal Kombat style Star Wars game I played on Playstation, Masters of Teras Kasi.
Since then, it's been mentioned in "Solo, a Star Wars Story" as a fighting style Quira learned from an underworld source.
The class I have in mind, would be similar to the blind member of the Church of the Force in Rogue 1, and the name I'd give this class is Teras Kasi Monk, though some may prefer another name since other games portray a monk as weaponless. Quira fought this style with a blade. Another "Priestly" class could be added to have two options as every other starting class. This priest would be the one without weapons, and focus on healing. Let's move on.
This class would give new use for what is now throw away garbage weapons, force pikes, vibro-weapons and such.
I doubt the game developers would have any interest in starting a whole new level one starting planet, so let's make this idea for an advanced level class. Say... Level 50 to start.
As for the starting planet, a previously unused but mentioned in canon (even obscure... remember Lando mentioning a place called Tanab in Return of the Jedi?) or completely made up (just not Honeyi'mhomia, or Mcstabia). When starting, both factions go through together as one, only committing to Empire or Republic at the end, when the peace is disturbed by an all out battle between the two. Players must choose which faction to escape with, shutting them off from the opposing faction forever after (unless they get to endgame and switch sides as every player also chooses.)

Future development of the idea... not likely, but in case of a reboot, having three factions, Republic, Empire and Underworld. For balance in this case, just to make the list of classes, let's add a couple classes to their opposite faction.

Republic:
Jedi Knight
Jedi Consular
SIS Agent
Republic Trooper

Empire:
Sith Warrior
Sith Inquisitor
Imperial Agent
Imperial Trooper

Unerworld:
Teras Kasi Monk
Teras Kasi Priest
Bounty Hunter
Smuggler
Experience is a cruel teacher. First comes the final exam, and the lessons come after.
Hiking gives an important life lesson. If you wish to see farther, climb to a higher vantage point.
Referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/JpFSYK

OlBuzzard
09.19.2019 , 07:07 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by LordRapheus View Post
I've always been in favor of a non force sensitive melee class, using a Star Wars martial arts form previously only known in a Mortal Kombat style Star Wars game I played on Playstation, Masters of Teras Kasi.
Since then, it's been mentioned in "Solo, a Star Wars Story" as a fighting style Quira learned from an underworld source.
The class I have in mind, would be similar to the blind member of the Church of the Force in Rogue 1, and the name I'd give this class is Teras Kasi Monk, though some may prefer another name since other games portray a monk as weaponless. Quira fought this style with a blade. Another "Priestly" class could be added to have two options as every other starting class. This priest would be the one without weapons, and focus on healing. Let's move on.
This class would give new use for what is now throw away garbage weapons, force pikes, vibro-weapons and such.
I doubt the game developers would have any interest in starting a whole new level one starting planet, so let's make this idea for an advanced level class. Say... Level 50 to start.
As for the starting planet, a previously unused but mentioned in canon (even obscure... remember Lando mentioning a place called Tanab in Return of the Jedi?) or completely made up (just not Honeyi'mhomia, or Mcstabia). When starting, both factions go through together as one, only committing to Empire or Republic at the end, when the peace is disturbed by an all out battle between the two. Players must choose which faction to escape with, shutting them off from the opposing faction forever after (unless they get to endgame and switch sides as every player also chooses.)

Future development of the idea... not likely, but in case of a reboot, having three factions, Republic, Empire and Underworld. For balance in this case, just to make the list of classes, let's add a couple classes to their opposite faction.

Republic:
Jedi Knight
Jedi Consular
SIS Agent
Republic Trooper

Empire:
Sith Warrior
Sith Inquisitor
Imperial Agent
Imperial Trooper

Unerworld:
Teras Kasi Monk
Teras Kasi Priest
Bounty Hunter
Smuggler
I like your list. Below is a link to a suggestion that would be good for the SIS (Republic side) / Imperial Agent (Empire side)

http://http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=964179&highlight=black+ops
(████████████████████████████]:|█[ioi]█[|||████]|█|