Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR Classic, would you play? resub for this?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
SWTOR Classic, would you play? resub for this?

ShieldProtection
09.16.2019 , 12:38 PM | #1
Do not get me wrong I do love this game its much more user friendly and easy to play, not everyone is a "hardcore" computer gamer, but let me ask this because I'm wondering this since a while now, if they do a SWTOR Classic with everything original 2011 release status, would you play it? or are you happy with current status of the game? Would you buy a sub just for this? It seems wow classic have more players than wow retail, what would you do if that was the case for SWTOR? Would you play like crazy like in the 2011 or you get bored quickly when the nostalgia runs out?

Share your opinions and discuss
I make long posts on SWTOR forums, read it or not, thank you anyway

xordevoreaux
09.16.2019 , 12:49 PM | #2
Not if I had to expend one more penny then I'm spending now on my current sub. If they deployed a server next to the other five with a different code base, or set up the launcher like they did to to switch to PTS from Live, I might do that, but just like Everquest2 offers a "classic" version of the game (they have a different name for it), I'm not willing to pay extra for that.

In neither case would it be compelling enough to bother. I'd tool around for five minutes and leave. Not worth extra money.
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/F4XbCd
In English, a leading X on a word is pronounced like a Z. (zorDEVoro).

Pirana
09.16.2019 , 12:59 PM | #3
Short answer, no.

This game had just over handful of Flashpoints and I think two Operations at release. I don't recall PvP at the time as
I didn't PvP then. Getting to level 50 was fairly easy and once you got there, there wasn't much to do, which is the main reason a lot of people left shortly after release and in less than a year, SWTOR went FTP. I still recall the countless threads at the time about "what do I do now". The answer almost always was play another class and enjoy the stories.

I was a long time SWG player and waited for some of the emulators to be released so I could go back to play one of those. Finally SWG Legends arrived and roughly six months after release, I was already bored with that game. It was a case of, been there, done it. The nostalgia wore off very quick with that game, so I came back here.

SWTOR in it's initial release had very limited content, other than class stories. This may seem harsh, but you would almost have to pay me to go back and play vanilla SWTOR. For a brand new player, this game now has a plethora of content that would keep anyone busy for months, it just didn't back then. The state of this game now? Lets see what happens on the PTS and the Onslaught release.

Regarding WoW, I have no doubt people will leave after the nostalgia wears off, and some probably won't.
The Journey Is Often Greater Than The Destination

Banthabreeder
09.16.2019 , 01:18 PM | #4
Nope. Done it. Don't need to do it again.
Dont call me a mindless philosopher, you overweight glob of grease.

Rion_Starkiller
09.16.2019 , 01:34 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by ShieldProtection View Post
Do not get me wrong I do love this game its much more user friendly and easy to play, not everyone is a "hardcore" computer gamer, but let me ask this because I'm wondering this since a while now, if they do a SWTOR Classic with everything original 2011 release status, would you play it? or are you happy with current status of the game? Would you buy a sub just for this? It seems wow classic have more players than wow retail, what would you do if that was the case for SWTOR? Would you play like crazy like in the 2011 or you get bored quickly when the nostalgia runs out?

Share your opinions and discuss
I think it would be fun. I'd like to go back and play around with the old skill trees, and do some OG NiM Raids from back in the day. I don't know how many would continue to play it after 1 play-through though... there's not much endgame content in vanilla.

But I think it would be cool if they could put up a vanilla server named The Hot Prospect and let us play around
-Beruhl, NiM Space Barbie and Solo Ranked Forum PvP (ง︡'-'︠)ง
(\/)(,,,,)(\/) ̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱(̢ ̡͇̅└͇̅┘͇̅ (▤8כ−◦
i do what i want major league memes can i borrow a stim?

phalczen
09.16.2019 , 01:39 PM | #6
Nope, not in a million years.
I'm missing out on, in no particular order:
1.) Strongholds
2.) GSF in its entirety
3.) Every operation after Eternity Vault, which was the only one it launched with
4.) Every warzone they released after Alderaan, Voidstar, and classic Huttball
5.) Every bit of story since Vanilla
6.) Every flashpoint since launch
7.) Everything about legacy
8.) Every quality of life improvement, including mount speed increases, legacy datacrons, rocket boots, quicktravel cooldowns, field respec ...

Getting the picture?
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.

ThiborF
09.16.2019 , 02:03 PM | #7
Nope. I think it's a bit ironic that the OP mentions "hardcore gamers" when it was those that seemed to drop the game early on because they maxed out and had nothing to do. The guild I'm a part of had a decent presence when the game dropped. 6 weeks in we were probably at 50%. Another couple of months and we were down to maybe a dozen scattered across 3 continents so match up play time for grouping got rough if you wanted guild-only runs. Now? There's a small few that pop back in periodically to work on a class story again, level an alt, check out the new content, etc.

Nostalgia is a funny thing. So many seem to have the rose colored glasses and remember far more of the good than bad. Until they go back and relive it and a short time later wonder *** were they romanticizing about this again?

And yeah, Wow-Vanilla is enjoying a bit of a renaissance at the moment. Give it three months and let's see where the populations are. Once people hit 60 and beat Ony and MC a few times, are they really going to do that gerbil wheel gear grind for naught because there's little reason to acquire it?

DarkGruffalo
09.16.2019 , 02:04 PM | #8
No, for all the reasons above, and all the ones that follow, and if that wasn't enough, I'm sure I have billions more
Feel free to use this, free stuff for both, etc, etc, etc, yadda, yadda, yadda , or yaddle maybe

http://www.swtor.com/r/jFXFFQ

Pirana
09.16.2019 , 02:29 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by ThiborF View Post
Nope. I think it's a bit ironic that the OP mentions "hardcore gamers" when it was those that seemed to drop the game early on because they maxed out and had nothing to do. The guild I'm a part of had a decent presence when the game dropped. 6 weeks in we were probably at 50%. Another couple of months and we were down to maybe a dozen scattered across 3 continents so match up play time for grouping got rough if you wanted guild-only runs. Now? There's a small few that pop back in periodically to work on a class story again, level an alt, check out the new content, etc.

Nostalgia is a funny thing. So many seem to have the rose colored glasses and remember far more of the good than bad. Until they go back and relive it and a short time later wonder *** were they romanticizing about this again?

And yeah, Wow-Vanilla is enjoying a bit of a renaissance at the moment. Give it three months and let's see where the populations are. Once people hit 60 and beat Ony and MC a few times, are they really going to do that gerbil wheel gear grind for naught because there's little reason to acquire it?
I think the bold is the real key here. I ardently defended SWG and disagreed with anyone who mentioned 'rose colored glasses', until I went back and realized they were right. Sometimes things aren't as great as what people remember. They'll always be good times to be remembered, but sometimes you need to move on in life and not look in that rear view mirror. The word euphoria comes to mind.
The Journey Is Often Greater Than The Destination

Lhancelot
09.16.2019 , 03:33 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Pirana View Post
I think the bold is the real key here. I ardently defended SWG and disagreed with anyone who mentioned 'rose colored glasses', until I went back and realized they were right. Sometimes things aren't as great as what people remember. They'll always be good times to be remembered, but sometimes you need to move on in life and not look in that rear view mirror. The word euphoria comes to mind.
Except when it comes to EQ1 classic. I remember it as fun, challenging, and just awesome in general. I went back to it after many years, and it's still exactly as i remembered it!

The only problem is, you can only do repeatable content so much before you get bored with it.
TRUE
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
RNG is counterproductive because it massively increases player dissatisfaction.
FALSE
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
As I detailed in another thread, RNG give the players more control over their gearing.