Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

All the systems for 6.0 seem unappealing. Bioware you need to pay attention.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
All the systems for 6.0 seem unappealing. Bioware you need to pay attention.

DavidAtkinson's Avatar


DavidAtkinson
09.20.2019 , 01:55 PM | #461
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
Well, sadly we know they'd never do something like that. I agree with your posts too. I agree another cataclysmic update will crush the game. Oh, sure it won't "die" but what will be left will be a shell of what the game is, even now.

You just have to marvel at how dumb this studio is. That's right, dumb. Only they view the RNG train as a viable main vehicle for gearing. Only they think it encourages more gameplay by punishing alts.

Since they began punishing alts, I stopped gearing all my toons, I have played far less, and i take far more frequent breaks from the game.

I also find it less fun because all my toons are in random pieces of gears now except for 2. How does this encourage me to want to play other toons when I look at their gears and determine it aint worth the time gearing them? I just play my "main" and couldn't care less now about my "alts."

All the feedback in the world won't convince this studio that they are clueless with what it's own playerbase wants. What studio after failing with RNG when the game started, would pull it back out a few years later, only to have a mass exodus of players leave the game due to RNG again, only to stick with it and force it down the playerbase's throats, AGAIN??? After all the rage with GCXP and loot boxes, and RNG? You can't make this up!

It's like taking a hammer and smashing my thumb, then smashing it two more times because surely what I felt the first time was a mistaken feeling. That didn't hurt the first time, let's try it again surely it will feel good on the second try or third! Idiots.

The best thing would be to ditch RNG altogether and only use it for exceptionally rare items. No one wants to waste time grinding items on top of having a RNG factor involved. It's bad enough to grind for progression gears, but we are used to MMOs doing that. It's normal, in fact.

The problem is adding a frustrating RNG facet to a gear grind for progression gears. It's like putting turd pudding on a giant turd. Why? It's already a giant ball of crap, does it really need turd icing on it, too? The RNG is just redundant and adds nothing to the experience of the player except time wasting, and unless the item you are wasting time on is something really unique and rare it's effing dumb to add RNG to it's drop rate.



TL;DR

Progression gears should never see RNG, period.
If you think the small story and content this game receives with 6.0 is enough to keep players in the long run, you are mistaken.... Most new content will be completed in like 1 -2 weeks and what happens after that ? You are left with gearing up your char to bis with RNG designed to take as looong as possible.

And yes, as crazy as it sounds, they might think RNG and gearing that punishes even those who play a lot by slowing their gearing down as much as possible is the way for a long term commitment to SWTOR.

But like I said in other posts. I really believe it's EA"s policy here. If you look at their recent/past games it's not hard to see why SWTOR is down on the same lootbox rng everything path.

I still believe they will do the right thing in the end..
Click the link below if you want to try out the game for 7 days as a sub or want extra game time added for free, enjoy:

http://www.swtor.com/r/3Qgyzv

KendraP's Avatar


KendraP
09.20.2019 , 02:03 PM | #462
Quote: Originally Posted by DavidAtkinson View Post
If you think the small story and content this game receives with 6.0 is enough to keep players in the long run, you are mistaken.... Most new content will be completed in like 1 -2 weeks and what happens after that ? You are left with gearing up your char to bis with RNG designed to take as looong as possible.

And yes, as crazy as it sounds, they might think RNG and gearing that punishes even those who play a lot by slowing their gearing down as much as possible is the way for a long term commitment to SWTOR.

But like I said in other posts. I really believe it's EA"s policy here. If you look at their recent/past games it's not hard to see why SWTOR is down on the same lootbox rng everything path.

I still believe they will do the right thing in the end..
If I didnt keep playing because I enjoyed repeating content for sheer pleasure, why would I still be playing this game?

Trying to rephrase - gear for me is not the end, but the beginning. I dont stop playing because I no longer have a dangly bone to chase. I get gear and then do whatever I actually wanted to do to begin with.

At some point I want to catch the darn bone and enjoy it.

TonyTricicolo's Avatar


TonyTricicolo
09.20.2019 , 03:09 PM | #463
I'm expecting a few hours of content with 6.0 and then nothing until at least April. It all comes down 2020 for the future of the game. I don't think people can handle another year of grinding for gear without content.
TONY NOVA SWTOR Shadowlands/Star Forge
-STRYDER- SWG Sunrunner/SWGLegends
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/vNnj3G

Lhancelot's Avatar


Lhancelot
09.20.2019 , 04:17 PM | #464
Quote: Originally Posted by TonyTricicolo View Post
I'm expecting a few hours of content with 6.0 and then nothing until at least April. It all comes down 2020 for the future of the game. I don't think people can handle another year of grinding for gear without content.
Well, that's not a long time from now. I can't see them adding what most of us consider content any time soon after 6.0. This update really should have been the big one with content. We already have had quite a drought of content.

As much as I rail on this update, it's a lot of work for the devs to do and I can't see them matching this output for a long while... 2-3 years before they even begin thinking about adding substantial content etc. in a big update.

I guess at this point I am going to just try to enjoy the ride, who knows when it will end. I despise RNG, I hate their stance on gearing, but at least with tactics and gear sets they are adding some new variables in combat.

Personally I would have been happier if they just kept the good parts of the present gearing system, and maybe just improved upon it instead of gutting it and creating a whole new gearing system. Again.

I also would rather see them make changes to class abilities to shake up the present meta instead of adding tactics and new gear sets, I think it would have been easier for them to keep balance without adding so many new variables into combat.

I admit this is quite ambitious on their part.
TRUE
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
RNG is counterproductive because it massively increases player dissatisfaction.
FALSE
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
As I detailed in another thread, RNG give the players more control over their gearing.

Darev's Avatar


Darev
09.20.2019 , 05:03 PM | #465
Quote: Originally Posted by ZionHalcyon View Post
Looks like Eric posted on PTS and everything for the most part is a step in the right direction.
Sure...a step.

I asked questions in that thread in the PTS forum.
I hope they get answered
or even acknowledged.
If you choose to fight in the sewer you can no longer claim to have the moral high ground.

KendraP's Avatar


KendraP
09.20.2019 , 06:50 PM | #466
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
Well, that's not a long time from now. I can't see them adding what most of us consider content any time soon after 6.0. This update really should have been the big one with content. We already have had quite a drought of content.

As much as I rail on this update, it's a lot of work for the devs to do and I can't see them matching this output for a long while... 2-3 years before they even begin thinking about adding substantial content etc. in a big update.

I guess at this point I am going to just try to enjoy the ride, who knows when it will end. I despise RNG, I hate their stance on gearing, but at least with tactics and gear sets they are adding some new variables in combat.

Personally I would have been happier if they just kept the good parts of the present gearing system, and maybe just improved upon it instead of gutting it and creating a whole new gearing system. Again.

I also would rather see them make changes to class abilities to shake up the present meta instead of adding tactics and new gear sets, I think it would have been easier for them to keep balance without adding so many new variables into combat.

I admit this is quite ambitious on their part.
Pretty much everything you said. The word is OVERambitious.

Pirana's Avatar


Pirana
09.20.2019 , 08:34 PM | #467
Quote: Originally Posted by TonyTricicolo View Post
I'm expecting a few hours of content with 6.0 and then nothing until at least April. It all comes down 2020 for the future of the game. I don't think people can handle another year of grinding for gear without content.
Unfortunately this is very close to accurate. We'll blow through the content, then spend weeks or months, depending on your game play, to grind end game gear running the same stuff we've been grinding for years. I know they're doing what they can with what appears to be a skeleton crew, and we appreciate it, but there's only so many times we can run the same content over and over again with a new gear grind.

As mentioned a number of times already, instead of reinventing the wheel, they could have used those resources to add that much more content, especially how they're now revamping what they've been working on for who knows how long. Here's hoping they can sprinkle in some new content here and there after this expansion.
The Journey Is Often Greater Than The Destination

Darev's Avatar


Darev
09.20.2019 , 08:39 PM | #468
Quote: Originally Posted by Pirana View Post
Unfortunately this is very close to accurate. We'll blow through the content, then spend weeks or months, depending on your game play, to grind end game gear running the same stuff we've been grinding for years. I know they're doing what they can with what appears to be a skeleton crew, and we appreciate it, but there's only so many times we can run the same content over and over again with a new gear grind.

As mentioned a number of times already, instead of reinventing the wheel, they could have used those resources to add that much more content, especially how they're now revamping what they've been working on for who knows how long. Here's hoping they can sprinkle of some new content here and there after this expansion.
Ever since Kotfe/Kotet I've done content on maybe 2 of my 100+ alts.
Most everything else is meant to work toward leveling my guild (conquest stuff) or the occasional group stuff my the guild I have a couple alts in specifically to run ops once or twice a month.

The story just hasn't been good enough to keep my attention.

Now, with 6.0, I'll do the same. Run the story on my "main" and see what's up.
If the gearing system is as bad as I'm afraid, if my game play is altered enough where I get annoyed, then that's two fewer accounts they'll have.

I don't play for GEAR...I like GEAR...Gear makes what I do play for easier.
If you choose to fight in the sewer you can no longer claim to have the moral high ground.

Rion_Starkiller's Avatar


Rion_Starkiller
09.20.2019 , 08:58 PM | #469
I think the new types of gear (tac, amp, set bonus) will be fun, but their acquisition much less so. There really is a lot of RNG -- I hope the devs continue to dial it back with each PTS iteration. I imagine balancing the new gear will take a few months and patches, but I think getting to that point will be reminiscent of the old "flavor of the month" meta that we used to have This 5.x meta is dry and dusty af.
-Beruhl, NiM Space Barbie (ง︡'-'︠)ง
(\/)(,,,,)(\/) ̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱(̢ ̡͇̅└͇̅┘͇̅ (▤8כ−◦
i do what i want major league memes can i borrow a stim?