To those against F2P...

Zwipe

Problem in SwTor are not sub model, is EA. Even with 500k, SwTor would have been grown perfect with Bioware developing but not, EA wanted more. They wanted to touch the sky and lost.

they wanted the 10+million wow once had with a vastly superior IP, but vastly inferior game.

You cannot keep a sub based MMO going when you give everyone the "brass ring." When everyone has everything there is no reason to keep playing. When 5-10% of the population have the best of the best the other 90-95% want it so they keep trying to get it. Wow had that and it got them over 10 million subs, now they do not do it anymore and they have lost more subs then any other american MMO ever had at its peak in the last 18 months.

Its been proven by making the game to where the majority cannot earn everything they keep playing and more and more people want to try for it. Making something where everyone gets everything with little to no effort makes people quit because they get board.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious, who has actually played a F2P mmo on an at least semi-committed schedule? I've played a couple sub-based MMO's that went FTP, and they actually improved a lot over their prior sub-based models (regular content additions, smaller but more productive community, etc.), which is why I have trouble understanding all the F2P bashing.

Maybe I just got lucky in my choices, but how did F2P leave such bad taste in your mouths?

LotRO is a great case study for a F2P conversion, both good and bad. The positive side is that the game population increased quite a bit. That's about the only real positive though.

They have released fairly regular game content since the conversion, but they were releasing regular content before it as well, so that's hard to judge. The main negative aspect of it is how they have progressively made the cash shop more obvious and harder to ignore. You can't go 10 minutes without somehow being reminded that there is a cash shop for you to spend money on.

The latest example is from last month, where they patched in clothing dummies in various towns and outposts that, if clicked on, opens up the cash shop to purchase those cosmetic items. For a game that's biggest strength is the story and environment, it sure does try it's hardest to pull you out of character.

I think the conversion will do better for TOR players though, since it's hard to argue that the game is all that immersive in the first place, with the static environments and all.

they wanted the 10+million wow once had with a vastly superior IP, but vastly inferior game.

You cannot keep a sub based MMO going when you give everyone the "brass ring." When everyone has everything there is no reason to keep playing. When 5-10% of the population have the best of the best the other 90-95% want it so they keep trying to get it. Wow had that and it got them over 10 million subs, now they do not do it anymore and they have lost more subs then any other american MMO ever had at its peak in the last 18 months.

Its been proven by making the game to where the majority cannot earn everything they keep playing and more and more people want to try for it. Making something where everyone gets everything with little to no effort makes people quit because they get board.

Sits back and waits for the WOW fainbois to come in and tell us it still has 11 millions subs.....

And yes I totally agree with you, with SWTOR they tried to keep everyone happy.....And here are some examples.

" I dont want some elaborate, complicated crafting system" ok here you go have a companion to do it all for you.

" I didnt like having to actually earn and build my ship in SWG " cool, here have one for free and a really easy to access space system...

" I dont want to be forced to do PVP " Sweet, here have some War Zones you can join when you like

" I dont like having to think when questing " Great, here we will guide you all the way....

And what did we get, an easy no brain MMO that a monkey can play, with no Crafting, no space, no actual achievement and a PVP system that is the worst in any MMO ever made.

Sorry what was that, you think SWTOR is awesome and its really hard....Yes you are the monkeys EA want, soon they will give you some more peanuts.

How can they fix it......

Make crafting similar to SWGs....

Make Space the same as SWG's....

Make raiding a 4 tier system so the people that want hard content get it, and get rewarded for it....

Make the game Socially friendly...

My opinion is SWTOR catered to the Easy brigade, the players that don't want difficult systems.....Dont want to earn actual crafting, space, pvp achievements, or put any real effort into the core of the game......And that is exactly what they got.......

Everyone that likes challenges has left this game.....Because frankly it has NONE.

Edited by Nippon

Sits back and waits for the WOW fainbois to come in and tell us it still has 11 millions subs.....

And yes I totally agree with you, with SWTOR they tried to keep everyone happy.....And here are some examples.

" I dont want some elaborate, complicated crafting system" ok here you go have a companion to do it all for you.

" I didnt like having to actually earn and build my ship in SWG " cool, here have one for free and a really easy to access space system...

" I dont want to be forced to do PVP " Sweet, here have some War Zones you can join when you like

" I dont like having to think when questing " Great, here we will guide you all the way....

And what did we get, an easy no brain MMO that a monkey can play, with no Crafting, no space, no actual achievement and a PVP system that is the worst in any MMO ever made.

Sorry what was that, you think SWTOR is awesome and its really hard....Yes you are the monkeys EA want, soon they will give you some more peanuts.

even Blizzard admited they are under 9 million...

Let's face it, they stand to make a LOT of money off F2P. Look at the Clone War Adventures... for me it's a nice free place to go kill some time on minigames, I even met a few cool people in there. But all in all that game is just a social gathering, it's not a group combat RPG type thing. They have a huge online store that sells stuff for credits that you buy off the SOE store, but none of it means anything. Seriously, it's furniture for a room that you had to also buy, and pets that do nothing and weapons and armor that are simply just for looks.

And they are making a freaking fortune on that stuff. When I log in all I see is people standing around in gear from the shop. Not in the free gear, not in the gear you get with the money you pick up from playing the daily games and floating cash spawns, in gear purchased with cash money. In that game the weopons and armor and clothing are just for looks, they do nothing, they have absolutely not bearing on your gameplay, and they are selling it by the tons.

Do you really think that BioWare isn't drooling over a new Cartel store where thy can sell armor and weopons and mods that actually do have an impact on your gameplay? Heyo buddy, they're catching it in buckets.

January + 6 months + 2 free months (one with the game, one for having a level 50) = August.

I know this has been spelled out on these forums before. By the very same posters you harass and call troll.

Did you grasp it this time, hotshot?

And still, you'll be here next month, preaching the same apocalyptic prophecies. And the month after.

Doomsayer trolls are like that, you cant change yourself.

And dont even try to pretend you're something else, Mr I pay for a game and post in the forums of a game I dont like.

Entertaining at least :cool:

I'm a bit amused by how binary some people's thinking is on the matter of F2P. In no other business is a transition from a less profitable model to one which increases both customers and profit considered a failure, except with certain gamers who are weirdly invested in the failure of certain games.

Putting an MMO that didn't do well on a subscription service into a Cash Shop system isn't improving anything, it's more like putting the game on life support. People talk like this because we've all seen this before, more often than not, what follows is sad and depressing. And this is almost assured for a game like this, where the inherent problems had nothing to do with the subscription, but with the quality of the content. Quality that will continue to suffer should a Cash Shop be implemented.

And still, you'll be here next month, preaching the same apocalyptic prophecies. And the month after.

Doomsayer trolls are like that, you cant change yourself.

And dont even try to pretend you're something else, Mr I pay for a game and post in the forums of a game I dont like.

Entertaining at least :cool:

why ? are we geting more free months for subing for 6 months ? in the next few days the 6month subs are up then this forum will be alot more boring to read :p

Cash shop... simple as that.

I dont want content being restricted or sold to me over and over and showing up on my mailbox. It cheapens the entire experience. I pay for the game to play it and grow/customize my character by playing it. If I want anything, be it more bank slots or a fancy social hat, I want to play the game to get it not buy it at a store and simply pick it up at a mailbox. To me its a slap in the face to see something I like in-game look it up so I can get it myself ... only to find its only available at a cash shop. Then even if I do buy it, it just gets handed to me at a mailbox ....... where is the fun in that?!? No ... just no!

Thats just my main reason. The others have veen mentioned here already regarding the quality of the content, the favoratism towards the cash shop, and the "we give up" message it brings when a game converts. That and Ive reached a new level of disgust towards EA ... they will not be recieving another dime from me past my last month in SWTOR ever again.

Happy or not, we're all -yes all! Even the angry trolls of this very thread- good customers: we all pay our subs, isnt it great?! :rolleyes:

Day 1: "This game is horrible! I leave!

Day 2: Now I leave!

Day 3: Look I'm leaving!

Day 20: The game is doomed, leave all!

Day 45: You should do like I do, and leave that terrible game!

Day 100: I do it now: I leave!

Day 134: Now, it's official, I leave! I'm gone! ...

Day 367 :Now it's real look I leave!"

If only they could really leave. :cool:

@Blattan: yes, you're one of them, spreading your QQ all days long, and still paying for a subs :D

And yes, wowicized kiddo is a rude word, very rude actually.

Have you noticed that they lost over 1 million subs? Ever stop to think that people ARE leaving?

And we're in August. January + 6 m = june no?

Apart from that all is fine. :D

You're a paying subscriber now, and you'll be paying subscriber next month.

You just happen to take pleasure in virtual QQing, so it's more than probable that you'll continue to be a troll as well.

Did you add in the extra free month?

December 20th in the US, december 22nd in EU. Since then, we've nearly passed 8 months. Even including the 1 free month, the initial 6 month subs have timed out.

Wrong. The 6 month subs run out around the 20th of this month. To make it easy... we got 2 free months of gameplay. So lets just put that two free months at the beggining. That makes the first pay month Feb 20th.

Feb 20

Mar 20

Apr 20

May 20

June 20

July 20 <--- last paid for 6 month, which gives you access until Aug 20

The long and the short of it is that people don't like change, feel that because they paid for past benefits everyone should continue to have to pay for it, and trolls are quick to hop on the waaambulance bandwagon to entertain themselves on the forums while at work during the day.

To make it easy... we got 2 free months of gameplay.

Edit: 2 free months? Was that special to your region? I definitely only got 1 free month and my 6 month sub lapsed...I've since renewed.

Edited by Jnight

Games do fine with F2P. I've played games the did great with them. Most forum ranters are either expressing opinions that they claim are facts, or drawing numbers for illegitimate sources. If SWTOR was dying, Bioware or EA would have made a statement. It's what games are required to do. What's happening are the growing pains of a great MMO that happens to have a few extra haters.

And we're in August. January + 6 m = june no?

Apart from that all is fine. :D

You're a paying subscriber now, and you'll be paying subscriber next month.

You just happen to take pleasure in virtual QQing, so it's more than probable that you'll continue to be a troll as well.

January 21st (30 days after launch - when free trial time expired)

July 20th (6 month sub ends)

Aug 23 (33 days free time - 3 days for server downtime and 30 days for being loyal subscriber, awarded last spring)

I too haven't paid a dime on this game since January as I bought a 6 month sub.

Your the one QQing by calling him a liar.

Edited by APhantasm

currently im playing City of Heroes, they started out as $15 a month and now have the hybrid sub/F2P model. when they first switched to that model i stoped playing for about 4 years untill just last month cause now they have alot of content i havnt seen and its been fun playing through it.

so while im a little hopful the F2P wont kill this game i am however expecting it to take quite some time before i actually want to play ToR again. all i can really do is wait and see but currently staying subed for all the rewards when they switch in the hopes i can get some fun stuff from the cash shop but the only time i logged in the last month was to get my pet/comms on all my characters haha.

Seeing how they have had that model for just under 1 year, I find that VERY hard to believe :p

The long and the short of it is that people don't like change, feel that because they paid for past benefits everyone should continue to have to pay for it, and trolls are quick to hop on the waaambulance bandwagon to entertain themselves on the forums while at work during the day.

Edit: 2 free months? Was that special to your region? I definitely only got 1 free month and my 6 month sub lapsed...I've since renewed.

If you've been here since Launch you should have gotten the free trial. Also you should have gotten a free month for having a level 50, this was handed out several months ago.

The only reason your 6 month would have ran out before now is if you did not have a level 50 when they handed out the free 30 days.

Edited by APhantasm

I tried LOTRO after F2P. I couldn't stand that constant attempts at upselling of turbine points, or crafting stuff. It was persistent. If you can do it in the game, you can pay to do it faster in the cash shop. I tried others that were F2P to start, and every possible convenience required either days of grinding, or real money.

That is why.

I dunno if it was only in my region. What I can tell you is that we got the first 30 days free from the box and we got a second 30 days free for subscribing and having a level 50 (or something like that ) from the devs. I believe they did it to pad numbers for the first conference call.

Edited by Soluss