Optimal Stats 5.9

Maxitrac

These are the alacrity thresholds:

0-702 Alacrity = 1.5sec GCD

703-1859 Alacrity (7.15+%) = 1.4sec GCD (1.39991)

1860+ Alacrity (15.41%) = 1.3sec GCD (1.29971)

If you're not running 248 gear I recommend just aiming for the 703 alacrity mark, since 1860 alacrity will mean losing a lot of crit if you're not running BiS gear.

Thank you for this.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are the alacrity thresholds:

0-702 Alacrity = 1.5sec GCD

703-1859 Alacrity (7.15+%) = 1.4sec GCD (1.39991)

1860+ Alacrity (15.41%) = 1.3sec GCD (1.29971)

If you're not running 248 gear I recommend just aiming for the 703 alacrity mark, since 1860 alacrity will mean losing a lot of crit if you're not running BiS gear.

Thank you for this.

Agreed. Though in certain specs, I like to run a crit relic instead of the mastery relic. Then I run 1000 crit and stack more overkill augs in my gear -- in place of crit augs. This method is strictly for non-BiS gear and playstyle preference.. not dummy parses.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

• 2 months later...

Can we see some parses that exhibit this alacrity logic? i have seen them from reddit but based on parses i have seen from people i know online i have seen around a 3 apm difference (10 parses for each alacrity state) within the 1.3 gcd zone.

what i am thinking is 10 parses at each of four different alacrity values, two for 1.3 zone and two for 1.4 zone (most extreme in each zone). this should should give pretty good numbers for getting a p value to see if this is a true effect. i really need a standard deviation of apm to tell if alacrity doesnt make a difference.

And... what is the methodology used for this thread? You say you are following bant but he busted his butt to make some really awesome sheets and scripts to calc this stuff out... before that we were using optimization methods (Lagrange multipliers or global extrema to neighborhood testing for local extrema). I guess if all this thread is about is hitting alacrity numbers, thats fine... but the tank numbers have nothing to do with alacrity so im going to guess those are the numbers you see people run with in your guilds, which should be close to bants old numbers... although crit for juggs tanks does intrigue me.

info from reddit (

)

I didn't find a good list of the alacrity global cooldown breakpoints for different alacrity bonuses, so I figured I'd post one.

All alacrity value calculations use the following equation: Alacrity Percentage = 30 * ( 1 - ( 1 - ( 0.01 / 0.3 ) )^( ( AlacrityRating / 70) / 1.25 ) )

All alacrity % breakpoints use the following equation: Alacrity Percentage = (1.5/(Desired GCD)-1)*100

Percentage Breakpoints (Rounded to the nearest thousandth)

1.4s - 7.143%

1.3s - 15.385%

1.2s - 25%

1.1s - 36.364%

1.0s - 50%

No Alacrity Bonuses

1.5s - 0-701

1.4s - 702-1856

1.3s - 1857-4624

1.2s - 4625+ (currently impossible with available tertiary stat budget)

3% Alacrity Bonuses (e.g. Arsenal, Carnage)

1.5s - 0-383

1.4s - 384-1374

1.3s - 1375-3411

1.2s - 3412+ (possible, but probably inadvisable)

5% Alacrity Bonuses (e.g. Lightning)

1.5s - 0-191

1.4s - 192-1096

1.3s - 1097-2835

1.2s - 2836+ (possible, but probably inadvisable)

20% Alacrity Bonuses (e.g. Polarity Shift)

1.3s - 0-470

1.2s - 471-2034/2035, depending on calculation precision

1.1s - 2035/2036+, depending on calculation precision

25% Alacrity Bonuses (e.g. Polarity Shift+Lightning)

1.2s - 0-1228

1.1s - 1229-4624

33% Alacrity Bonuses (e.g. Berserk+Carnage)

1.2s - 0-306

1.1s - 307-2158

1.0s - 2159+

I haven't included numbers for Supercharged Celerity since it seems pointless to optimize for an effect that has a typical up-time of <3%. However, characters with 1.5 to 1.3-second GCDs will find themselves with a 0.1s shorter GCD.

Edited by dipstik

I'm no expert when it comes to all the math and theory crafting. I just do what the guide tells me and report on the results. So, I followed this guide for my Watchman Sentinel and used the high-alacrity build defined here.

Prior to me adjusting to the high-alacrity build, I was set up like this (and I'm not claiming this is BiS or anything, it's just what I happened to have):

Alacrity: 4 Enhancements, 7 Augments

Critical: 5 Enhancements, 4 Augments, 2 Crystals, +Stim

Accuracy: 1 Enhancement, 3 Augments, +Stim

So, for me to swap to the high-alacrity build this guide described, I ended up adjusting the following (some where 246 rating):

+266 Alacrity (+2 Enhancements, -2 Augments)

-220 Critical (-1 Enhancement)

-24 Accuracy (-1 Enhancement, +2 Augments)

I did 3 parses before I swapped my gear, averaged them. Then did 3 parses after I swapped my gear and averaged those.

The results where:

Average APM increase of 1.3

Average DPS decrease of 82 points (9290 --> 9208)

Average TTK increase of 0:03 seconds.

I noted while parsing before the swap, that I trended to start with a high burst (10-11k), level off to my average, and then stay constant for the entire parse. However, after the swap, my trend changed to starting with a low burst (7-8k) and slowly ramping up over the majority of the parse, only finally leveling off at my finish at around 40-30% range.

So, in conclusion, I'm doing an extra 1.3 abilities per minute, but each ability is notably weaker. I can't honestly say that this is an improvement or not. Because basically, I'm doing more moves, granted in the same amount of time, just to do approximately the same overall DPS. However, my instantaneous DPS seems to be much lower, hence the long ramp-up time. So I don't even see this good for burst windows (granted I am a DoT spec.)

Edited by Soul_of_Flames

I did 3 parses before I swapped my gear, averaged them. Then did 3 parses after I swapped my gear and averaged those.

The results where:

You're not taking full advantage of the higher alacrity then. Changing from lower (1.4s) to higher (1.3s) alacrity tier should increase your apm by about 3. If you're only geting an increase of 1.3, you're wasting a lot of your higher alacrity and it's no wonder your parses aren't higher than before.

-24 Accuracy (-1 Enhancement, +2 Augments)

The results where:

Did you miss more? Or is your accuracy still above 110%? Could that account for an 82 point DPS loss?

You're not taking full advantage of the higher alacrity then. Changing from lower (1.4s) to higher (1.3s) alacrity tier should increase your apm by about 3. If you're only geting an increase of 1.3, you're wasting a lot of your higher alacrity and it's no wonder your parses aren't higher than before.

Well, I queue my abilities up so that they fire instantly. I'm not doing any delays and I'm popping all my GCD-ignoring abilities on CD or on proc... so I don't really see what else I can possibly do. And I know this because I'm doing my same rotation, but I'm able to fit in an extra ability that I wasn't able to do before I swapped my gear in almost every cycle.

Did you miss more? Or is your accuracy still above 110%? Could that account for an 82 point DPS loss?

It's at 109.93% (my augs are 236, so I still have room to add 5 more points to it)

Looking back at the parse logs, it seems my original 3 parses I missed an average of 7.7% and my post 3 parses I missed an average of 7.8%.

A tenth of a percent seems to be a reasonable margin of error, imo.

Edited by Soul_of_Flames

Well, I queue my abilities up so that they fire instantly. I'm not doing any delays and I'm popping all my GCD-ignoring abilities on CD or on proc... so I don't really see what else I can possibly do. And I know this because I'm doing my same rotation, but I'm able to fit in an extra ability that I wasn't able to do before I swapped my gear in almost every cycle.

I'm a bit confused. Did you get the 1.3 increase in apm from looking at star parse or from "I managed to fit in an additional ability in my rotation"? If it's the latter, your rotation is most likely not gonna be exactly one minute long, so fitting an additional ability into your rotation wouldn't mean that your apm increases by 1.3 (= 1 gcd).

• 4 weeks later...

Hello All,

First off really sorry if I have missed the information I am looking for. I have been reading a while but a lot of the talk here confused me.

I am looking to gear the following toon's in the best way possible, could some one be kind enough to advise on what the stats should look like and what augments I should be using. Like a really simple version (lol)

I am looking to build -

Bounty Hunter - DPS - Arsenal

Sith Marauder - DPS - Carnage

Sith Assassin - Tank - Darkness

Sith Sorc - Healer - Corruption

Operative - DPS - Concealment

All toons are max level and have a decent mix of 246/248 - so now its really about fine tuning the best stats and augments.

Thank you in advance

Mouse

Bounty Hunter - DPS - Arsenal

Sith Marauder - DPS - Carnage

Sith Assassin - Tank - Darkness

Sith Sorc - Healer - Corruption

Operative - DPS - Concealment

The Arsenal Merc and Carnage Marauder should have 1375 alacrity, 737 Accuracy, and the rest Crit.

The Operative should have 1857 alacrity, 737 accuracy, rest crit.

Healers don't need accuracy at all, unless you are trying to add dps to meet tight dps checks in a progression raid group. On my sage I like to run 2036 alacrity because it means under the effects of the Mental Alacrity buff (Polarity Shift for Sorcs) I'll get to a 1.1s global cooldown, but the conventional wisdom is 1857 alacrity.

The Assassin Tank is a little more complicated to answer.

• Most people recommend Warding B mods (higher endurance, less defense rating) over Warding unlettered mods
  • Most people recommend higher endurance enhancements over the enhancements with less endurance and more of the shield/absorb/defense stats (for example, Bastion/Steadfast over Immunity enhancements)
  • Many people recommend using Lethal B mods over Warding B mods, because the swapping out of defense rating for Power benefits you more
  • I haven't seen any firm recommendations on using the "double-high" endurance enhancements over the single high endurance ones, for example, Steadfast over Bastion

Beyond that, many people recommend a relative even balance of the FINAL Percentages of Shield Chance and Absorption. The optimal ratio of Defense/Shield/Absorb nowadays compared to the 3.x era is all skewed because there is a lot more obligatory Defense Rating built into gear. I usually run a little more Absorption Rating over Shield Rating because of Assassin's Dark Ward ability which increases final percentage of shield chance.

EDIT: Regarding tank enhancements, I haven't seen any firm recommendations on using DPS enhancements like the high endurance alacrity or high endurance crit enhancements instead of any tanking enhancements. I'll defer to the experts on that topic. In any event, you would not need any accuracy since Tanks get 110% accuracy in their discipline, and with some of your stat budget shifted to endurance away from alacrity and crit, you could probably only get to the so-called "low alacrity" threshold of 702.

Edited by phalczen

On my sage I like to run 2036 alacrity because it means under the effects of the Mental Alacrity buff (Polarity Shift for Sorcs) I'll get to a 1.1s global cooldown, but the conventional wisdom is 1857 alacrity.

That's the magic number for Balance? At first, I thought you were saying for TK and I got excited, haha.

Percentage Breakpoints (Rounded to the nearest thousandth)

1.4s - 7.143%

1.3s - 15.385%

1.2s - 25%

1.1s - 36.364%

1.0s - 50%

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

• 4 weeks later...

Just a question regarding the Telekinetic/Lightning build: in contrast to Smartie's sheet you use only one overkill augment (against 6) and 6 crit (vs. 1), so basically reverse that. In addition to that you have added a 2nd stim (crit) to the accuracy stim (you need for 110%).

Can you quickly explain the rational? You are actually very high with crit rating anyway? (I am not a theory crafter, so sorry if the answers are obvious!)

Just a question regarding the Telekinetic/Lightning build: in contrast to Smartie's sheet you use only one overkill augment (against 6) and 6 crit (vs. 1), so basically reverse that. In addition to that you have added a 2nd stim (crit) to the accuracy stim (you need for 110%).

Can you quickly explain the rational? You are actually very high with crit rating anyway? (I am not a theory crafter, so sorry if the answers are obvious!)

There is no 2nd stim - Accuracy stim adds both crit and accuracy. That's what he means.

I don't agree with his stats, I prefer running 5 alacrity enhancements + 1 alacrity augment (it puts you just above 1250 alacrity which is the sweet spot for Lightning because of Polarity Shift's boost). With 1250 alacrity you will get to the next GCD roundup while in Polarity shift. With OP's stats you will stay on previous GCD duration. Stat-wise the difference is minimal (1120 alacrity vs 1250 alacrity, so you only lose 130 stats from somewhere else) but the extra faster GCD during Polarity shift is a very big deal as Lightning uses it very very often and gets extra procs during that window.

Another thing to note that there are actually no Overkill augments of 236/240 rating, OP should update it to Versatile. And yes, he also has way too much critical for Lightning (2155 if I counted correctly). The usual rule right now is to not get over 2000 critical rating. I personally run about 1950 and put 2 extra Versatile augments in (I think in total I have 3 Versatile augments in my setup).

Edited by Equeliber

That's the magic number for Balance? At first, I thought you were saying for TK and I got excited, haha.

I was only referring to Seer Sage/corruption sorc, the healer spec. I can’t speak to Balance, but I would wildly guess it sacrifices too much critical. It works on a heal Sage because you don’t have to worry about accuracy. I’m actually wondering if it makes any difference at all for even a heal Sage, but that much alacrity does allow me to get a benevolence cast off in 1 GCD even without Mental Alacrity, so that’s one reason I keep it. I’m far from a MMGFTM raider though.

I don't agree with his stats, I prefer running 5 alacrity enhancements + 1 alacrity augment (it puts you just above 1250 alacrity which is the sweet spot for Lightning because of Polarity Shift's boost). With 1250 alacrity you will get to the next GCD roundup while in Polarity shift.

I think you only need 1229 to do that, not 1250. 1229 converts to 11.37% alacrity, which with the stacking Focal Lightning passive buff gets you to 16.37% (for a normal 1.3s GCD), and then under polarity shift it bumps to 36.37% which is the necessary breakpoint for a 1.1 second GCD.

I think you only need 1229 to do that, not 1250. 1229 converts to 11.37% alacrity, which with the stacking Focal Lightning passive buff gets you to 16.37% (for a normal 1.3s GCD), and then under polarity shift it bumps to 36.37% which is the necessary breakpoint for a 1.1 second GCD.

You can't get closer to 1229 than 1250 (ok, let's be precise, it's 1254 with 240 augments and 248 enhancements) without dropping below it.

You can't get closer to 1229 than 1250 (ok, let's be precise, it's 1254 with 240 augments and 248 enhancements) without dropping below it.

I figured it had something to do with 248/240s. My lightning sorc is mostly in 230 armorings with 246 enhancements and 228 augments. Nevertheless, I think its important to mention the actual cutoff, since it is possible to hit the sweet spot with gear configurations that aren't yet Best in Slot.

I figured it had something to do with 248/240s. My lightning sorc is mostly in 230 armorings with 246 enhancements and 228 augments. Nevertheless, I think its important to mention the actual cutoff, since it is possible to hit the sweet spot with gear configurations that aren't yet Best in Slot.

I didn't include the sub 248 stats due to the fact that 5.0 has been going for almost 2years, everyone is pretty much BIS at this point. Also it is possible to get to the numbers need with 228 augs, but to achieve the high alacrity threshold it is not worth it to get to that point if you don't have 248+ enh.

For classes such as sorc you can get to that number and i will leave that to you if you want to get there.

I didn't include the sub 248 stats due to the fact that 5.0 has been going for almost 2years, everyone is pretty much BIS at this point. Also it is possible to get to the numbers need with 228 augs, but to achieve the high alacrity threshold it is not worth it to get to that point if you don't have 248+ enh.

For classes such as sorc you can get to that number and i will leave that to you if you want to get there.

My personal philosophy has been that after getting to the accuracy goal, getting to the alacrity goal was next in line, so that if I was training/practicing to master a rotation, I would have the proper timing/pacing/feel. For that reason I usually send extra 246 and 248 enhancements to my alts, even if their crit will be low. It's fine to speak about the exact # of such-and-such enhancements from only a 248 perspective, but its also worthwhile to indicate where the numbers come from so that people not only understand that your numbers aren't out of the blue, but also have something to work towards as they acquire individual pieces. Not everyone is best in slot on one character, let alone all of them, a fact which will become abundantly clear in a few weeks.

My personal philosophy has been that after getting to the accuracy goal, getting to the alacrity goal was next in line, so that if I was training/practicing to master a rotation, I would have the proper timing/pacing/feel. For that reason I usually send extra 246 and 248 enhancements to my alts, even if their crit will be low. It's fine to speak about the exact # of such-and-such enhancements from only a 248 perspective, but its also worthwhile to indicate where the numbers come from so that people not only understand that your numbers aren't out of the blue, but also have something to work towards as they acquire individual pieces. Not everyone is best in slot on one character, let alone all of them, a fact which will become abundantly clear in a few weeks.

From what I’ve found you rotation doesn’t change from gcd to gcd, so I would say to go for the low alacrity number (~700) and high ish crit till you can optimise for high alacrity.

Also if enough people would like me to I will put a section for sub 248 gearing.

From what I’ve found you rotation doesn’t change from gcd to gcd, so I would say to go for the low alacrity number (~700) and high ish crit till you can optimise for high alacrity.

Also if enough people would like me to I will put a section for sub 248 gearing.

Well, as regards practicing for abilities per minute, it would make a difference, no? Regardless, gearing to reach target accuracy first and alacrity second is just what I've chosen to do, and I am not a master mode raider, so take my approach with an appropriate amount of proverbial salt.