Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Female Romance Options

VorpalCheese
01.09.2012 , 07:18 PM | #141
Quote: Originally Posted by _Scattered_ View Post
There is no pleasing you ladies.

It is highly unlikely that any companion bioware could possibly give you you would find appealing. For the simple fact that by definition of them being companions they are subordinate to you.
For the record, I would be incredibly pleased with a SWTOR version of Garrus. O.M.G. I love Garrus so hard.
Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 full tower case||INTEL I5-2500K 4.0 GHZ||2x SLI Palit GTX 560 TI 2GB||Corsair AX850 PSU||8GB Kingston HyperX RAM||750GB 64MB cache HDD||30GB Kingston SSD||GIGABYTE Z68X-UD3H-B3 Mobo||Nvidia Surround 5760x1080

SelinaK
01.09.2012 , 07:23 PM | #142
Quote: Originally Posted by Kiridia View Post
Come on Bioware, you can't believe that theres no girls on the internets/games. REALLY. Or maybe people just think there aren't enough of us girls playing to actually cater to things we might enjoy the game. Well, keep thinking that way, you'll be right soon enough.
theesa.com/facts
Quote:
Forty-two percent of all game players are women. In fact, women over the age of 18 represent a significantly greater portion of the game-playing population (37 percent) than boys age 17 or younger (13 percent).
theesa.com/facts/gameplayer.asp
Quote:
Forty-two percent of all players are women and women over 18 years of age are one of the industry's fastest growing demographics.
Today, adult women represent a greater portion of the game-playing population (37 percent) than boys age 17 or younger (13 percent).

See also:
swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1095370#post1095370

http://nms.sagepub.com/content/11/5/815.abstract
Quote:
"In television, it was always a landmark moment when some minority or disenfranchised group appeared on the screen for the first time," he said. "That kind of visibility is really the first step toward leading to public consciousness and equal treatment. These cultural markers matter."

The disparity could be due to a lack of diversity in game developers [..]Without suitable characters to relate to, under-represented groups may be less likely to work in the games industry.

Emma Westecott, a games research fellow at the Newport School of Art, Media and Design, agrees. "The lack of opportunity for identification through role models leads to self-censorship," [vicious circle] she said. "Many young girls simply don't see gaming as being a feasible career choice."

Although female players represent 38% of all gamers, only around 11% of developers are women. Women in Games is an organisation intended to address the games industry's gender imbalance. Westecott, who sits on the group's steering committee, thinks that game publishers may be to be blame.
Dmitri Williams (University of Southern California), Nicole Martins (Indiana University), Mia Consalvo (Ohio University) & James D. Ivory (Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University))

(That said, I heard of Bioware's Twilightgate and for the love of god please do not see this as endorsing going down THAT path)

Playing Mass Effect stuff (I totally ignored all the dragons and elves games) I found Jacob's fawning and clinginess annnoyinng and the way conversation just shut down after that reeked of "either screw or you OBVIOUSLY have any kind of conversations as equals" and, loved Jack's character (which was really sad in the game when there's no same sex romances presumably out of cowardice from Fox) and just wanted to hug poor Tali -- having seen the scene on Youtube of Jack crying and helping her with her issues awwhhhh I really don't understand people who hated on her because I knew that she would have learnt not to trust people and not show weakness for a reason, it was kinda shocking to read some of the really nasty comments on forums, the lack of empathy some people have ugh I remember seeing a "kill the *****" hate site..... but she was one of the most intricate and actually INTERESTING characters, I hope they bring her back in ME3... I used to post on the bioware forums but that woo guy put me off, I got banned for some stupid thing I can't even remember and just got fed up years ago
[My posts] SGR factsss
Type /cjoin OOC ingame for organising RP (globalchans between servers plees? )
Official RP forum + Events! IC news/gossip Character listing Fiction Art Story/Universe

Nhala
01.09.2012 , 07:58 PM | #143
Wow, all this commentary and no love for Catboy Aric Jorgan?!

When I rerolled a trooper after getting bored with my first main (Jedi Sentinel) I was a bit apprehensive about Jorgan. Everyone told me, "hey, you don't HAVE to do the romance", but it's one of my favorite parts about Bioware RPGs--there was no way I was going to skip it. Also, I'm a chick, and this kinda stuff makes me all giddy and crap. So anyway.

I started playing my trooper and was still a little put off by the whole 'catboy' thing (in fact it's now my pet name for him, along with 'Kitty'), but after what he goes through on Ord Mantell, and after talking to him, I did a total 180. He's such a total hardass, and super serious, so when you start flirting with him it's incredibly endearing. His voice is hot, which doesn't hurt.

At one point during the trooper storyline, one of the antagonists talks to Jorgan, asking him what his name was--"Gorman? Jorban?" and I immediately chose the response that corrected the guy talking. My character pointed at Jorgan, standing there with his arms crossed, looking pissed as usual, and snarled, "His name is Sergeant Jorgan--Havoc Squad." When he asks you to help him do his personal companion quest, my heart went out to the guy. I even started to see him as handsome, much to the delight of my guild (they all call me a furry now).

I've always cursed Bioware for making characters that I completely adore, like Carth (I loved Carth) and Alistair, and now I've added Jorgan to that list. He is awesome. I spoiled the romance for myself by watching the videos online and totally squee'd like a teenager over some of it.

And I can't wait to start my IA's romance with Vector. I guess I like the weird ones. =p

VorpalCheese
01.09.2012 , 08:05 PM | #144
Quote: Originally Posted by Nhala View Post

When I rerolled a trooper after getting bored with my first main (Jedi Sentinel) I was a bit apprehensive about Jorgan. Everyone told me, "hey, you don't HAVE to do the romance", but it's one of my favorite parts about Bioware RPGs--there was no way I was going to skip it. Also, I'm a chick, and this kinda stuff makes me all giddy and crap. So anyway.

I started playing my trooper and was still a little put off by the whole 'catboy' thing (in fact it's now my pet name for him, along with 'Kitty'), but after what he goes through on Ord Mantell, and after talking to him, I did a total 180. He's such a total hardass, and super serious, so when you start flirting with him it's incredibly endearing. His voice is hot, which doesn't hurt.

At one point during the trooper storyline, one of the antagonists talks to Jorgan, asking him what his name was--"Gorman? Jorban?" and I immediately chose the response that corrected the guy talking. My character pointed at Jorgan, standing there with his arms crossed, looking pissed as usual, and snarled, "His name is Sergeant Jorgan--Havoc Squad." When he asks you to help him do his personal companion quest, my heart went out to the guy. I even started to see him as handsome, much to the delight of my guild (they all call me a furry now).

I've always cursed Bioware for making characters that I completely adore, like Carth (omg, absolutely adored him) and Alistair, and now I've added Jorgan to that list. He is awesome. I spoiled the romance for myself by watching the videos online and totally squee'd like a teenager over some of it.

And I can't wait to start my IA's romance with Vector. I guess I like the weird ones. =p
I've seen videos of Jorgan. I rather like him, but will have to reserve final judgment for when I actually play a Trooper.
Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 full tower case||INTEL I5-2500K 4.0 GHZ||2x SLI Palit GTX 560 TI 2GB||Corsair AX850 PSU||8GB Kingston HyperX RAM||750GB 64MB cache HDD||30GB Kingston SSD||GIGABYTE Z68X-UD3H-B3 Mobo||Nvidia Surround 5760x1080

BrigOrion
01.09.2012 , 08:06 PM | #145
Quote: Originally Posted by SelinaK View Post
stuff
Interesting stuff, but they've lumped all games together. I wonder what the demographics change to when only discussing online games, and specifically games that call themselves MMOs, whether or not the game is a real MMO?

I'd also be curious to learn what percentage of players of online games are not heterosexually oriented. You know, the group of players that BioWare doesn't want as customers.

Nhala
01.09.2012 , 08:08 PM | #146
Quote: Originally Posted by VorpalCheese View Post
I've seen videos of Jorgan. I rather like him, but will have to reserve final judgment for when I actually play a Trooper.
I love him. In fact, when I was watching the videos of him with this random female trooper, I was almost annoyed because I didn't want to share him :3

BrigOrion
01.09.2012 , 08:09 PM | #147
Quote: Originally Posted by Kiridia View Post
I have to agree thousand times over. Female gamers got the crap end of the stick when it comes to the romance options,
There's another group of gamers that hold that distinction.

grania
01.09.2012 , 10:05 PM | #148
Quote:
I love Aric Jorgan! I just can't play a trooper, I've tried and I feel so damn squishy..

-'--,--##

##--,--'-

Scorpassailant
01.09.2012 , 10:07 PM | #149
I am still trying to get Jaesa into my quarters but she is playing hard to get

LongLiveTheSith
01.09.2012 , 10:09 PM | #150
Jorgan FTW!

Loyal, Awesome, and cute in that really, really strange sort of alien/****** way...
Katie 'Silent' Destora
Long Live the Republic
No idea how to change my account name, heh.