Lethality

BowtieJones

Hey all you (three of you maybe?) lethality experts out there. I've been having a blast with this spec lately. I think I played this match pretty well, but I always welcome pointers. Give a watch and tell me your thoughts. I wait with great anticipation.

with love and respect,

Bowtiejones

Edited by BowtieJones

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good video. I main Lethality for PvP, haven't played Concealment in over a year. It's fun to play but not the most fun spec to watch, at least imo.

As with my experience, people tend to ignore the Lethality Ops. You were mostly ignored the entire video. The spec doesn't play in-your-face, so people tend to overlook the damage you are doing. I also enjoyed seeing you heal your teammate with Probe and the roll proc. Getting off-heals in pugs is like unicorn-rare status. xD

Personally, I eschew using Toxic Blast as part of my build-up rotation. I use it as a TA builder when Shiv is cooling down if I have fewer than 2 TA. Same with Lethal Strike. I use it between Shivs as a filler GCD rather than up front; I find that when I use it up front (in order to increase burst), after my TAs are all used up, everything is cooling down and I have nothing hard-hitting, so weaving Lethal Strike in maintains more consistent pressure.

All in all, great video. I like being the rarely seen underdog spec in PvP. Great representing!

Good video. I main Lethality for PvP, haven't played Concealment in over a year. It's fun to play but not the most fun spec to watch, at least imo.

As with my experience, people tend to ignore the Lethality Ops. You were mostly ignored the entire video. The spec doesn't play in-your-face, so people tend to overlook the damage you are doing. I also enjoyed seeing you heal your teammate with Probe and the roll proc. Getting off-heals in pugs is like unicorn-rare status. xD

Personally, I eschew using Toxic Blast as part of my build-up rotation. I use it as a TA builder when Shiv is cooling down if I have fewer than 2 TA. Same with Lethal Strike. I use it between Shivs as a filler GCD rather than up front; I find that when I use it up front (in order to increase burst), after my TAs are all used up, everything is cooling down and I have nothing hard-hitting, so weaving Lethal Strike in maintains more consistent pressure.

All in all, great video. I like being the rarely seen underdog spec in PvP. Great representing!

You make an interesting point. It's all about building and spending TA's without leaving yourself holding the bag with nowhere to go. I guess I put the Toxic in there and the lethal strike at the beginning to make the auto crit proc from shiv make my cull hit even harder. Plus, that gives me three culls in a row.

I fooled around for a bit trying to wait till the target was under 30% health before I really hit the burst, but that just never happened. I was just that goober standing at range dotting and hotting, so I had to cut that out real quick.

So my question to you is "when you forgo toxic blast and lethal strike in your opener, do you find you have killing power?" That seems to be the main complaint about lethality: end of match high damage numbers, but low killing blows. Fluff damage is pretty pointless, imho. I don't have time to just fluff myself. Take that statement however you please...

As far as the off healing goes. I feel it's required. This spec has some of the best off healing out there. I'd put it up there with madness. I'm a crap healer. I've tried the healing spec and I'm garbage. In lethality, though, it feels kinda organic and correct.

You make an interesting point. It's all about building and spending TA's without leaving yourself holding the bag with nowhere to go. I guess I put the Toxic in there and the lethal strike at the beginning to make the auto crit proc from shiv make my cull hit even harder. Plus, that gives me three culls in a row.

I fooled around for a bit trying to wait till the target was under 30% health before I really hit the burst, but that just never happened. I was just that goober standing at range dotting and hotting, so I had to cut that out real quick.

So my question to you is "when you forgo toxic blast and lethal strike in your opener, do you find you have killing power?" That seems to be the main complaint about lethality: end of match high damage numbers, but low killing blows. Fluff damage is pretty pointless, imho. I don't have time to just fluff myself. Take that statement however you please...

As far as the off healing goes. I feel it's required. This spec has some of the best off healing out there. I'd put it up there with madness. I'm a crap healer. I've tried the healing spec and I'm garbage. In lethality, though, it feels kinda organic and correct.

Yeah, imo, Lethality should do roughly ~60% of its total damage numbers in healing.. whether that's on yourself or your teammates. Hell, I've had matches where I've had like 1.2m dmg, 1m heals, 950k dmg taken with 0 deaths.. huge nuisance to the other team, haha.

I miscommunicated something. I do open with Lethal Strike from stealth. Out of stealth, however, I weave it in while Shiv is cooling down rather than setting up a burst scenario (dot dot TB LS). Lelthality is really about wearing people down while your health remains stable, so I don't find that the burst setup is really necessary. And as you say, you don't want to be caught holding the bag with nowhere to go.

what am I missing here...2 mil plus dps.BUT LESS THAN 5 KILLS.Ok everyones a healer type but less than 5 kills.Learn to focus fire and yes nice DPS.:D:rak_01::rak_01::rak_01:

Did I link the wrong video? I do have a vid on my page that has high-ish damage numbers and 7 healers, but I thought I linked the vid where I had the most kills on my team. Apologies.

Then again. If I linked the correct video, and you're responding to a different vid on my page, thank you for your views. :D

I miscommunicated something. I do open with Lethal Strike from stealth. Out of stealth, however, I weave it in while Shiv is cooling down rather than setting up a burst scenario (dot dot TB LS). Lelthality is really about wearing people down while your health remains stable, so I don't find that the burst setup is really necessary. And as you say, you don't want to be caught holding the bag with nowhere to go.

Ok. Do you use lethal strike from stealth for the TA generation, or just to surprise them with a free hit? I read somewhere in this forum that it's basically a waste of time to do that unless you are purposefully delaying your shiv auto crit proc. Stealth lethal strike +1 TA, shiv +1 TA, toxic blast +1 Ta = total of 2 TA since that's the max you can have at a time. Since toxic blast and lethal strike both make your cull hit harder for a limited time, you get more damage by using lethal strike just before culling, since its buff will still be active during the next cull.

I could very well be wrong. After all, that's the whole reason I made this thread.

Ok. Do you use lethal strike from stealth for the TA generation, or just to surprise them with a free hit? I read somewhere in this forum that it's basically a waste of time to do that unless you are purposefully delaying your shiv auto crit proc. Stealth lethal strike +1 TA, shiv +1 TA, toxic blast +1 Ta = total of 2 TA since that's the max you can have at a time. Since toxic blast and lethal strike both make your cull hit harder for a limited time, you get more damage by using lethal strike just before culling, since its buff will still be active during the next cull.

I could very well be wrong. After all, that's the whole reason I made this thread.

I find that waiting for the cooldowns on our buff attacks (Auto Crit/Lethal Strike/Toxic Blast) to line up is fruitless in a dynamic (PvP) environment. Too much movement and too many counter-stuns/abilities. Also, Lethality's auto crit pales in comparison to other classes, so there's not much value in making them all line up. So I

Open with Lethal Strike (+1TA--1)

Shiv (+1TA--2)

dot

dot

Corrosive Assault (-1TA...+1TA from Fatality--2)

Corrosive Assault (-1TA--1)

Shiv (+1TA--2)

Toxic Blast (+1TA--2)

Shiv (+1TA--2)

GCD (Lethal Strike?)

GCD (Corrosive Assault? Kolto Probe?)

GCD

Shiv if fewer than 2 TA

And so forth. I could throw in Stim Boost for an extra TA in this chain when Shiv in on cooldown, but I prefer to save it as a DCD with Revitalizers. In any case, you can see that if you spread out your TA builders, you can link a chain of 5 or 6 or 7 Corrosive Assaults in before you really run out of things to use. Rather than using all your builders up front and only getting 4 CAs, you can get almost twice as many. Granted, they won't hit as hard due to Lethal Strike and Toxic Blast not overlapping, but you will surely wear your opponent down.

Edited by Shirvington
spoiler for easier reading

I find that waiting for the cooldowns on our buff attacks (Auto Crit/Lethal Strike/Toxic Blast) to line up is fruitless in a dynamic (PvP) environment. Too much movement and too many counter-stuns/abilities. Also, Lethality's auto crit pales in comparison to other classes, so there's not much value in making them all line up. So I

Open with Lethal Strike (+1TA--1)

Shiv (+1TA--2)

dot

dot

Corrosive Assault (-1TA...+1TA from Fatality--2)

Shiv (+1TA--2)

Toxic Blast (+1TA--2)

Shiv (+1TA--2)

GCD (Lethal Strike?)

GCD (Corrosive Assault? Kolto Probe?)

GCD

Shiv if fewer than 2 TA

And so forth. I could throw in Stim Boost for an extra TA in this chain when Shiv in on cooldown, but I prefer to save it as a DCD with Revitalizers. In any case, you can see that if you spread out your TA builders, you can link a chain of 5 or 6 or 7 Corrosive Assaults in before you really run out of things to use. Rather than using all your builders up front and only getting 4 CAs, you can get almost twice as many. Granted, they won't hit as hard due to Lethal Strike and Toxic Blast not overlapping, but you will surely wear your opponent down.

You should always do Toxic Blast as early as possible (before you start using CA) because it ends up adding a whole lot more damage.

This is the "best" opener in terms of straight up damage, although if it's a 1v1 it's likely to get interrupted somehow:

DoT > DoT > Shiv > Toxic Blast > Lethal Strike > Corrosive Assault > Corrosive Assault > Corrosive Assault > Shiv > Corrosive Assault > etc

This ensures that all of your DoT buffs and such are rolling on your target right when you start spamming corrosive assault. Yes, it's a long opener but you're playing lethality, that's how it's going to be.

Edited by QuiveringPotato

DoT > DoT > Shiv > Toxic Blast > Lethal Strike > Corrosive Assault > Corrosive Assault > Corrosive Assault > Shiv > Corrosive Assault > etc.

Yeah, that's what I usually try to do. I went back to concealment for a few matches, and was bored to tears. Granted, it was very nice being able to roll through the acid/fire in huttball, and not getting grappled right back into it. I die in fire a lot while playing lethality.