Star Wars: The Old Republic – State of the Game

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, that is it for now. Please keep your comments and questions coming and I will try to answer the biggest, unresolved questions in these “State-of-the-Game” posts.

When are we going to see the massive latency/input lag problems fixed?

Any news on dualspec?

Edited by Denchet

2. The subscription requirement was driving away huge numbers of people who do not want to commit to paying monthly.

Ah the meme continues. No Mr. Hickman, it wasn't "the price" of the subscription, it was "the quality of the service" for the price of the subscription that drove people away. In fact, your patch 1.4 "quality of life fixes" forced me back to World of Warcraft. Fix your game and tell us the truth. :cool:

EDIT: You know keeping legitimate complaints from your management only keeps them in the dark. SWTOR is not in the state they think it is. If you continue to delete posts that describe problems (like the graphics issues which make it near impossible for me to play your game since patch 1.4) they will continue to write fluff and spin pieces. You are fooling no one. :mad:

Edited by Urael

When are we going to see the massive latency/input lag problems fixed?

This, and all similar problems? The game has been completely hosing my router on one computer/network, and just crashing outright on another. It would be nice if you could be specific about the "big outstanding 1.4 issue(s)" rather than just saying "there was a thing, The End".

I like this because it seemed somewhat honest and written by a "real" person. I wish you would have commented on more things though but I assume that's to come and I still think you've exaggerated the role the subscription had in people leaving the game, I think it's more complex than that.

Hello everyone,

Please discuss the Star Wars: The Old Republic – State of the Game blog in this thread!

Thank you Jeff...please keep these coming.

I am not sure I can agree with most of what you said on "Topic #2: Bugs...". Many of the bugs we've seen on live have either been completely obvious (like breaking Denova, not once but twice!) that could not have been possible to miss with internal "end-to-end" testing, or have been reported on the PTS but pushed to live anyway.

I expect that specific instances of bugs slipping through have been investigated, and correct measures taken to prevent it again. And hopefully the additional measures you allude to in your post will fix more systemic issues that allow these holes to happen.

But your team would do well to publicly acknowledge bugs very very quickly and keep the community informed of the progress of fixing them much more so than happens now.

Ah the meme continues. No Mr. Hickman, it wasn't "the price" of the subscription, it was "the quality of the service" for the price of the subscription that drove people away. In fact, your patch 1.4 "quality of life fixes" forced me back to World of Warcraft. Fix your game and tell us the truth. :cool:

But for the... get over it already!

As for questions, are there any news on Makeb?

I still think you've exaggerated the role the subscription had in people leaving the game, I think it's more complex than that.

End game is craptacular, everyone knows that's the reason. If they added minigames like Pazaak and Swoop Racing and other things to keep people busy, people would pay. I refuse to believe the financial issues the world currently faces are so bad that people can't pay a tiny subscription each month for something they enjoy.

One of the main things I would like to see is a couple of new wz's.

And perhaps another try at world pvp.

THIS

World PVPing gonna be fixed? We thought Ilum was going to go through an update by the end of this year.

Also: Any news on guild ships?

We have recently put new measures in place ..., as well on Public Test Server (where we should find many of these types of issues),

Can you expand on what you are referring to in this regard?

As it stands now the process which has been introduced is now setting it up so it is becoming dangerous for me to test as without current experience there is a danger in any reports I make being unhelpful, but if you are changing things I'd like to know what and how to see if it is worth me trying to help more.

Thanks for this "state of the game" column.

Whether or not I like what is said or written there for now doesn't matter, it still is very nice to have such an update.

Without promising anything or writing things "in stone" can you tell us how frequent you would like to write "state of the game" columns like this one please ? Is it like every month, every other month, twice a year, once a year ?

Edited by Shoogli

What is the reason for no automatic character transfer from normal servers to the PTS? You're missing out on a lot of testing of the most important content because of this. You _do_ have the transfer mechanics implemented - even if some stuff messes up on the PTS due to the automated transfers, isn't it worth simply for the sheer amount of potential lvl 50 testers you could get?

A honest post by someone in charge is always a good thing.Players can go a long way

when beeing told the truth.Refreshing approach from BioBare/EA.

Well i think CS should handle tickets faster, but i guess that wont happen now that EA use SWTOR support for all EA games, me myself have a soon 2 weeks old ticket with no answear.Maybe hire a few more people to work at Galway.

Simpel improvments to SWTOR that will go a long way.

1* Minigames we can play and bet on.

2* Fix class balance and resolve, you are killing the PvP community.

3* Little things like hood toggle,speach bubbles,animal mounts,and actual iconic jedi outfits etc.

4* Start taking feedback from PTS and get a easy way for players to copy chars to PTS.

5*Plis remove fleet, most players hate it, boxed in, players should be on alive open planet at endgame.

Other then that keeep up the good work.

Edited by Lord_Karsk

Thanks for this "state of the game" column.

Whether or not I like what is said or written there from now doesn't matter, it still is very good to have such updates.

Without promising anything or writing things "in stone" can you tell us how frequent you would like to write "state of the game" columns like this one please ? Is it like every months, every other months, twice a year, once a year ?

We're working with Jeff to be able to provide consistent, regular updates for this column. We haven't quite nailed down the cadence yet, but definitely look forward to more than just a few per year.

This. The fact that they (Bioware et al) has decided this is THE REASON for why SWTOR has seen a significant decline in subs is just proof that they are continuing to perpetuate this falsehood. The product itself turned out to be lackluster and this is the reason subs have declined. There are plenty of MMOs that still utilize the subscription model and people still happily pay for it because the product is worth it.

It's just sad to see Bioware continue to find new ways to deceive themselves in order to explain away these "problems". If the Executive Producer and the rest of Bioware/EA believe that eliminating the sub and implementing contrived restrictions on access to the product will bring home the bacon, they're in for a rude awakening.

Sure there will be plenty of returners when F2P finally launches, but after being smacked in the face with the corralling restrictions which have been blatantly designed to make subbing a need instead of disguising it as a choice, they're going to barely last a week before going back to WoW, TSW, GW2, Rift, or EVE.

bleh. Anyway. You (Bioware/EA) get one shot at first impressions. This "State of the Game" is already off to a sloppy start.

i dont think people have/had a problem with paying a monthly sub for $15, the thing that irks people is that they are paying for a sub but feel that content is lacking.

i believe if people got more content then they wouldn't have a problem with forking over the money each month

Honestly Jeff I think you are being lied to by some of the forum admins.

ALOT of bugs were found by users on the PTS many times. These bugs and how to recreate them were posted on the PTS forums and still those patches were pushed anyways.

I gave up on testing on the PTS now since it does no good, I don't mind rerolling toons and levelign them to test things here and there, but when any comments i have get ignored? yea im over that.

((FYI this is NOT my tester account))

Hi Jeff,

:ph_good_post:

A few things that have been outstanding for me.

1. /lol used to make a sound in early access. I am so happy that voiced emotes are on the PTS right now with a view to bringing them live. Thank you for working on this!

2. Some sort of randomly generated or variety content at level 50, add a random element to add replayability.

3. Purple crystals below level 50! Pet peeve but how come enemies under level 50 have purple crystals but players can't? ;)

Thanks and keep up the great work!