Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

Though I would like to doubt the Bioware have limited our same-gender interactions in this manner, but Dulfy is very, very good at what she does.

If anyone can provide clarification from her that would be great and I'll see what I can find out in early access. While I don't have level Pub alts myself, many of my guildies do and I'll be sure to ask them - if they have early access - for reports.

Edit: I've also PM'd Mr. Musco, just to make sure he knows our concerns in case the team aren't reading this thread.

Edited by Tatile

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wanting equality is not the same thing as having a misplaced sense of entitlement.

In this case, it very much is.

Again, I understand wanting more than this, but saying you were "SCREWED" implies you were somehow betrayed, and you can't be betrayed if you aren't owed anything.

Question why do you people continue to debate on it? This has got to be one of the biggest threads out on this place, besides it's up in the expansion.

All I must say is May the Force Be with you

"All shall know my name and fear it: Mylokii:wea_07:

Question why do you people continue to debate on it? This has got to be one of the biggest threads out on this place, besides it's up in the expansion.

Because we discuss companion romance which are not in the expansion and how those might be implemented and with whom. We also have discussed non-binary gender representation and the general attitude to the LGBT community represented in this game (cissexist, heterocentric, if you'd like to know) as well as covering on the topic of biological "destiny" in female-character opposite-gender romances (that they all end with the assumption that babies are inescapable.)

We are not debating the introduction of SGR's, but rather the implementation of SGRA's with companions or non-companion NPCs (this being based on the assumption that all of the Makeb interactions will be one-off [flirt]s or one night stands, as Mr. Gonzalez stated in the previous incarnation of this thread.)

Of course you would know all of that if you'd done more than just post your displeasure at our continued existence.

• Dev Post
Though I would like to doubt the Bioware have limited our same-gender interactions in this manner, but Dulfy is very, very good at what she does.

If anyone can provide clarification from her that would be great and I'll see what I can find out in early access. While I don't have level Pub alts myself, many of my guildies do and I'll be sure to ask them - if they have early access - for reports.

Edit: I've also PM'd Mr. Musco, just to make sure he knows our concerns in case the team aren't reading this thread.

I want to confirm that what Dulfy stated is correct. I do want to assure you though that with any future SGRA releases it will be our goal to keep things more balanced across faction and gender.

-eric

I want to confirm that what Dulfy stated is correct. I do want to assure you though that with any future SGRA releases it will be our goal to keep things more balanced across faction and gender.

-eric

What... were you thinking? I can honestly say of all the crappy ways you've treated the LGBT community attached to this game, that is by far the single most disgusting thing Bioware: Austin have ever done.

What? There are no gay men in the Republic? No lesbians in the Empire? Let me guess, though, both genders get opposite-gender romances, don't they?

-eric

Thanks for the update.

As an aside, I'm guessing the female/male featured on the Makeb cover art will be major characters in the Republic/Imperial story respectively (and the romance options for both genders).

What... were you thinking? I can honestly say of all the crappy ways you've treated the LGBT community attached to this game, that is by far the single most disgusting thing Bioware: Austin have ever done.

What? There are no gay men in the Republic? No lesbians in the Empire? Let me guess, though, both genders get opposite-gender romances, don't they?

Really, you've got to stop the hyperbole. Bioware hasn't "treated" the LGBT community any way. They made a game. There's no direct bigotry in the game. Therefore the idea that people are being mistreated is impossible.

This is not the California legislature. It's one game made by people who are in good faith making a continuing effort to incorporate more SGR into the game. Save your disgust for actual bigots.

Really, you've got to stop the hyperbole. Bioware hasn't "treated" the LGBT community any way. They made a game. There's no direct bigotry in the game. Therefore the idea that people are being mistreated is impossible.

You don't think making a heterocentric, cissexist game is mistreating Bioware's large LGBT fanbase?

-eric

way to half *** EVERYTHING... thought this would of been a no brainer but not when you have bioware involved. at a loss for words how moronic and clueless game developers are, its astonishing... "it will be our goal to keep things more balanced across faction" ...are you kidding me :(

bioware... some common sense please

-eric

I support everyone that will be pissed off at the Bioware Development team for this. Words can't even describe how distasteful this is after getting the hopes up of a very specific community. (though I'm not a part of them, I whole heartily support their equality with their way of life and who they are. They are human beings and should be respected as such.)

... But I also want to ask a question. Where was the questions from the Closed Beta participants asking why it's FACTION specific? Why weren't they up in arms about that BS?

As a complete aside: This is why the community as a whole trusts nothing the development team says and a major reason the majority of the player base left.

SGR - Told their would be same sex choices through makeb - Not told it's faction specific.

APAC- Told they're working on a solution to keep players together - Forcing them into the American servers because it's easier.

Collectors Edition - Told there would be regular updates - Gives them One reskin of a CM item after a year of the one item they put on it in the first place. AT the same time: Introduced a Cartel Market Vendor with everything the Collectors edition was promised to be.

1.2 RWZ- Said it would be ready - Day before it's pulled. (We're still in preseason a year later, this was just to point out a major past destructive decision)

This is how you lose // lost Subscriptions permanently.

Actually, it appears not. Males and females on the Republic side are presented with the same [Flirt] options with a female NPC; likewise, there's only a [Flirt] with a male on the Empire side.

That's based on playing through Makeb with male characters on Republic and Empire. The only [Flirt] option I encountered on the Empire side was with a male NPC.

To Eric Musco and anyone else reading this thread,

I want to apologize on behalf of the LGBT community for posters like this. They are a very vocal minority, but they do not represent all of us. A work of fiction does not "require" there to be LGBT characters, especially if doing so would compromise the quality of the game or the storytelling. Claiming discrimination, mistreatment, or even false advertising is quite simply unfounded, especially considering BioWare is the industry leader and was one of the pioneers in bringing same-gender content to us, the gamers. Without your company's previous efforts the gaming industry would probably still be in the stone age.

I for one, am extremely happy that there are SGRA being added at all. Please do not allow such vitriolic posts as this to make you think that the community is ungrateful.

Edited by Jenzali

You know, with this news, I am actually really glad that older posters like MusedMoose, Uluain, Natashina and Fabiyun have left. That way they've missed out on getting kicked in the teeth like this.

Edit: My apologies for being such a terrible person by having an emotional response to something I feel strongly about. I've tried to be respectful and not resort to swearing fits and blind rage, but apparent;y it's not enough. I just can't with this right, especially now that I'm apparently the most hated person in the entire world.

Edited by Tatile

-eric

...what.

Even completely ignoring how bizarre this decision is (or at least, how bizarre it seems to me), try to explain it in lore terms for me: Republic has no homosexual males, and Empire has no homosexual females? Really?

...and I was so looking forward to finally playing my female mara the way I initially imagined her...

Or am I misunderstanding something? If so, I apologize.

Edited by DarthVitrial

Edit: My apologies for being such a terrible person by having an emotional response to something I feel strongly about. I've tried to be respectful and not resort to swearing fits and blind rage, but apparent;y it's not enough. I just can't with this right, especially now that I'm apparently the most hated person in the entire world.

That's exactly what we need to get away from. There's nothing particularly wrong with having a strong emotional response, but dragging political issues into it does not help anyone. LGBT people need to stop playing "the victim". Opposite-gender content will always be more prevalent simply because most people in real life are heterosexual.

Maybe I'm alone in this thought, but when it comes to media, gaming, or other forms of entertainment/fiction, I don't think there "should always be" LGBT characters represented. They should be there when they are convincing characters in their own right, and when they make sense in the story. To the point where society at large no longer even considers it "an issue". Maybe society will eventually look at it as being just another of a character's traits, like eye color or personality and not have to always end up getting into a conflict over "discrimination", or other political or religious issues.

As soon as I heard "BioWare" "Star Wars" and "MMORPG" I knew immediately I wanted to play a gay smuggler. A Han Solo-type who could charm guys all across the galaxy at least until he could get his hands on their credits. Am I disappointed that I can't? Maybe a little bit. But it doesn't get to me. He can be like that in my head, and for everything else, there's RP. Ironically my Imperial characters are all either straight or don't have any reason for romance so I probably won't even be making use of the SGRA that I was so looking forward to.

Edited by Jenzali

...what.

Even completely ignoring how bizarre this decision is (or at least, how bizarre it seems to me), try to explain it in lore terms for me: Republic has no homosexual males, and Empire has no homosexual females? Really?

...and I was so looking forward to finally playing my female mara the way I initially imagined her...

Or am I misunderstanding something? If so, I apologize.

He said balanced across faction AND gender.

That means, going forward, there will be an equal amount of Male to Female, Female to Male, Male to Male and Female to Female on both factions.

I don't see it as a problem.

1. They're adding SGR where it makes sense for the story, rather than just to have a "token gay" on each faction. I would very much prefer a high quality, convincing story rather than several low-quality ones that are clearly there just because the fans complained enough for it.

Agreed. Based on this --

Actually, it appears not. Males and females on the Republic side are presented with the same [Flirt] options with a female NPC; likewise, there's only a [Flirt] with a male on the Empire side.

That's based on playing through Makeb with male characters on Republic and Empire. The only [Flirt] option I encountered on the Empire side was with a male NPC.

--it sounds like there is one NPC on either side that can be flirted with by anybody -- your main contact/mission giver, perhaps? -- and that contact is male on the Imp side and female on the Rep side.

Disappointing? Sure. But given the general rate of flirts/mini-romances in this game (e.g. Not Very Many), one for the planetary arc seems about right. And sometimes those weren't set up with gender parity, unfortunately. The Imperial Agent storyline's a good example -- male and female Agents get their chances at various non-companion NPCs, but off the top of my head I can't think of a planet where both would have that chance within their class story. (Outside of the class story, there are the Bonus mission givers on Nar Shaddaa -- kinda wish they'd used that model more often, really. Even then, though, the bonus missions are purely auxiliary and are probably missed/skipped by many.)

I would not call this the Worst Betrayal of All Time and if my guess above is correct, it's a simple move towards equal treatment in the same situation -- as opposed to creating new situations *just* to give opportunities to display equality (i.e. "token gays").

Edited by Jenovan

Hey, I just wanted to mention one thing I missed out is that there is a one liner female to female flirt option in the story for macrobinoculars on the Empire side. I missed out on this initially but it was brought to my attention.

Here is a screenshot to demonstrate.I am going to assume there might be a male to male one liner flirt for the Republic equivalent.

http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/swtor-makeb-oveview-10.jpg

He said balanced across faction AND gender.

That means, going forward, there will be an equal amount of Male to Female, Female to Male, Male to Male and Female to Female on both factions.

That's good, then. Though I do still wish it were more balanced on Makeb.

-eric

How long until we have Female/Female on the Imperial side?

Edited by AshlaBoga

really is it so freaken hard to just make one cut scene with my female male bounty hunter professes her love for mako all along and then they kiss / get married [and yes the 8 respective mirrors] and I can head cannon it from there

you are making it way more complicated then it needs to be bioware, get over yourselves and just do it already then in your next "expansion" have mako call me my love or something. done. they aren't full blown mass effect companions so I don't expect full blown mass effect relationships, but male only imperial and female only republic... really why even put in the time or resources

I'm all for waiting if your going to do it right but this...

-eric

What was the reasoning behind this ? It's unbelievable :rolleyes:

And what about OGRs ? Do they get the same treatment here or they were fully developed on both factions ?

To Eric Musco and anyone else reading this thread,

I want to apologize on behalf of the LGBT community for posters like this. They are a very vocal minority, but they do not represent all of us. A work of fiction does not "require" there to be LGBT characters, especially if doing so would compromise the quality of the game or the storytelling. Claiming discrimination, mistreatment, or even false advertising is quite simply unfounded, especially considering BioWare is the industry leader and was one of the pioneers in bringing same-gender content to us, the gamers. Without your company's previous efforts the gaming industry would probably still be in the stone age.

I for one, am extremely happy that there are SGRA being added at all. Please do not allow such vitriolic posts as this to make you think that the community is ungrateful.

Funny, I don't recall you being elected the spokensman of the community. Speak for yourself and apologize for yourself if you feel like it. Don't do it for everybody.

I have words like Tatile's, and some other that I prefer to keep to myself.

really is it so freaken hard to just make one cut scene with my female male bounty hunter professes her love for mako all along and then they kiss / get married [and yes the 8 respective mirrors] and I can head cannon it from there

you are making it way more complicated then it needs to be bioware, get over yourselves and just do it already then in your next "expansion" have mako call me my love or something. done. they aren't full blown mass effect companions so I don't expect full blown mass effect relationships, but male only imperial and female only republic... really why even put in the time or resources

I'm all for waiting if your going to do it right but this...

They need to make it make sense. Throwing a character's personality to the wind would be bad.

That said however, I agree with you on the Mako thing. IF they can make it fit her character, I would like to see her open for SGR. But only if it doesn't change who Mako is.