Tracer Missile animation change.

Kaedusz

Ok so i finally started a mercenary after playing a powertech for a long time because i want some change from retractable blade and flametrowers to rockets and i am feeling bitter and angry(like you wouldn't imagine) because of what some cry babies did to the class and the developers showed lack of wisdom in granting their wish.

The rocket that launches from your back is so cool and awesome,not to mention badas$.Even the sound effect is much more awesome.And ... christ ... they changed it to the tiny,pathetic and boring looking wrist launch with unnoticeable sound.I find myself using the present day Fussion Missile every chance i get,even if it heats me up, because of the animation.And i loathe the present day tracer missile animation.I am sure many mercenaries regret this animation NERF and i am not alone with these feelings.For God's sake it is a Missile Blast with a casting time.

I would even go as far as saying that i started a mercenary specifically so i can launch missiles from my back,like i saw many mercenaries did in youtube movies(while i was researching the class),in game, and Jango Fett in episode 2.Tracer missile launched from your back was supposed to be the mercenary signature move.

That is what makes the mercenary different from the powertech in immersion/feeling context .....and they reduced one of the coolest looking abilities in the game to a fairly unimportant aoe with a 30 sec cooldown. !? I feel so badly cheated and sc*ewed by the vocal forum minority that forced this change.

i looked up the issue and i found out that some time ago there were threads in this forum about swapping the tracer missile and fussion missile animation to its present day animation.There were whines about being too vissible, and other such nonsense.Others said that the bh looked like he was crapping his pants while casting tracer missile.How can someone even produce such absolute crap of a thought and post it on the forum,on top of that the developer listen to them and act on their prattle.*facepalm* I mean seriously?!? ...

I lack words to describe this joke of a situation,without breaking some forum rule.

Why the hell did the developers do this?Don't they know that usually most people that liked the old tracer missle were not posting on the forums and whining like some babies.they were actually playing the game.I have asked many mercenaries in game and most of them told me that they regret the change ,others don't care,and those that like it are very few.

Again-the people that wanted fussion missile and tracer missile animation swap were a vocal minority on the forums.

I would very much like the developers to reverse this change or at least give us some kind of an option/tool to choose what animation we want to use.The current fusion missile animation and sound is what tracer missile is supposed to be like ,as it was the developer's original intention.

Reverse the animation swap or give us some kind of an option/interface tool to choose what animation we want for our tracer missile..I sincerely hope this issue will be looked at.Thank you.

Edited by Kaedusz

omg just stop... Sick of these posts. The animation was changed because it was impractical for a key item in a dps rotation to have such an obvious animation in pvp. It puts mercs at a greater disadvantage than they already are. Plus there was speculation the animation was also adding too much time to tracer missile cast time and effecting dps in pve also. So in other words there was a technical practical reason for it.

You find yourself using fusion missile off cool down so you can see the animation? seriously dude just go away...

Edited by Choffware

The animation was changed because it was impractical for a key item in a dps rotation to have such an obvious animation in pvp.

How can you seriously say this and mean it .This is so surreal and anticlimactic for me.Can't belive developers listen to people like this guy.I am censoring myself with great effort here.

Don't know about you but the second someone uses an ability i know where he is and what class he is.

Commando's and mercenaries are focused because if left alone they will do some serious damage and are easy to lock down,not because ''omg look at the pretty rocket,keeeeel iiit''

Plus there was speculation the animation was also adding too much time to tracer missile cast time and effecting dps in pve also.

/facepalm

Edited by Kaedusz

Mercs suffer form being too easily interrupted so they made it a little tougher to spot. It's one small piece to an ongoing solution. It's practical. You went on a seven paragraph tirade about a slight quality of life change they made. They didn't even remove the animation... they put it where it makes more sense for GAME MECHANICS. It's like you are arguing that the sky isn't blue enough.

omg just stop... Sick of these posts. The animation was changed because it was impractical for a key item in a dps rotation to have such an obvious animation in pvp. It puts mercs at a greater disadvantage than they already are. Plus there was speculation the animation was also adding too much time to tracer missile cast time and effecting dps in pve also. So in other words there was a technical practical reason for it.

You find yourself using fusion missile off cool down so you can see the animation? seriously dude just go away...

You know you could try being less rude when you post.

Honestly, it simply makes way more sense this way. The new animation has a laser that locks onto the target and then fires the "tracer" missile (ie tracing the laser's path). Plus, when casting it 2 or 3 times in a row, it looks very natural. On the other hand, the back rocket looks like it would be a big explosive AOE type animation. So, again, it makes much more sense that this large back launched missile is a CD AOE type move. It just doesn't look right being fired 2 or 3 times in succession. The only thing about the change that upset me was the fire animation. Fusion missile used to have the same "blazing fire on the enemies" type animation that the Commando counter part still has. When they swapped the launch animations, they neglected to add the old Fusion Missile blaze animation (it was a lot large and more devastating looking than it is now) to the end.

Again, this way simply makes much more sense. They seemed to be backward from the very beginning. Which isn't the only thing Bioware got backward. I mean, our large-slow heal is called "rapid scan" and our smaller-fast heal is called "healing scan". Hmm.....

Edited by Galbatorrix

How does a missile blast(for those that are new-its the most basic bounty hunter ability that you get at level 1) with a casting time makes sense to be bread and butter for a spec.It just screams boring and lame.

Now there isn't much difference between powertech and mercenary.-not talking from gameplay pov.

I might as well stand in range and spam missile blast with my powertech and imagine i am playing mercenary.srsly

Missile launched from your back with the added badas$ sound effect is much more different and unique than the other mercenary abilities.

The old tracer missile deserves to be a 10 skill/talent point,instead we get as said above ,missile blast with casting time.-oh with the added red pointer for the tracer effect and lame almost non existant sound effect.

Now the only interesting ability from Arsenal is heatseaking missiles.

Its' like i am playing a warrior and all my abilities have the animation of auto atack- this is the situation i am talking about here.

Doesn't make sense a major talent/skill point to be so bland.

Edited by Kaedusz

Ok so i finally started a mercenary after playing a powertech for a long time because i want some change from retractable blade and flametrowers to rockets and i am feeling bitter and angry(like you wouldn't imagine) because of what some cry babies did to the class and the developers showed lack of wisdom in granting their wish.

You play advanced prototype? This is already a bad sign.

Sounds more like you're the crybaby who couldn't see bad design when it smacked him in the face. I didn't realize SWTOR forums was your personal blog, where "things you don't like" are important. Instead of real issues like how Mercenaries are going to be bottom rung DPS in 2.0.

But hey, cry on. I know this post won't stop you.

You play advanced prototype? This is already a bad sign.

I play all specs.Mentioned retractable blade cus its one of the unique powertech abilities and its part of the powertech's skillset,along with heavy use of flamethower.

Anyway,why would some1 playing advanced prototype or tactics be a bad sign and a sign of what?

If there are ''real issues'' then why was there a whiny prattle by a few people that forced that change.It's funny you should say i cry,because the point of this whole post is a remark on other people crying.

where "things you don't like" are important.

A major chunk of all mmo(and all games for that matter) forums are made up from stuff like that.

Edited by Kaedusz

I agree with the OP, the old one was 100x more fluid and awesome. It just felt better to cast. I can't play Arsenal now with the boring, disjointed robotic arm animation. That's not hyperbolic, I honestly can't stand it.

It's kinda pointless to make another thread on it though, they already changed it once, it's not going to get changed back, sadly.

The animation was changed because it was impractical for a key item in a dps rotation to have such an obvious animation in pvp.

as if that giant bar above their head with the tracer missile icon was invisible or something

The old animation was just too much for an attack that needs to be spammed and made your merc look like a somebody suffering from intestinal distress.

Swapping it out was one of Biowares smarter moves.

This is the real issue. As much as I loved the animation, given how often we fire Tracer Missile it was overdone and ridiculous.

Think realistically (please) for a moment. If you have a weapon you're going to be using repeatedly, several times in a row, is it going to be one you have to bend down and point your head at your target to use, or is it going to be in or on your arm so you can just point and fire?

The old animation makes more sense for something on a 15-second cooldown than something you spam.

Why don't they just make the Tracer Missile animation depend on what chest you have.If you have that big thing on your back that houses missiles and is used as a jetpack then you would fire from your back.

OR

Figure out some other way for a player to chose what animation he want to use.

To the poster above me.Tired of bending over? Simple - respec pyro.

As a matter of fact ANYTHING would be better than the current tracer missile.It is Missile blast with casting time,for god sake ... how lame is that?And the sound effect is terrible also.

If it's a weapon i am going to be using repeatedly i would 100% absolutely certain as hell i will pick the old tracer missile.As i said,that animation was designed to be used as a major skill tree point,such is the case with all classes-most unique abilities are a 10/20/30 skill points.Instead at the moment its a lame as$ aoe with 30 sec cd.

I would agree with your arguments if a missile that fires from your back was used by the powertech or it was bounty hunter ability,not advanced class ability(but even then they would have to replace the current tracer missile cus anything is better than that),but that is not the case with the mercenary which is the rocket/missile class/mobile heavy weapon platform if you will.

Also, i feel i have to remind everyone again that the people that wanted this change were a minority but a very vocal one.Most people i ask in the game don't really care and those that want the old animation back are more than those that are fully happy with the change.

My personal solution to this whole thing is i rolled commando instead and my bounty hunter is powertech.Still if they change the tracer missile animation(it doesn't even have to the old one,just something more badas$ than the joke we have at the moment) i am abandoning that commando first thing in the morning.

Edited by Kaedusz

Why don't they just make the Tracer Missile animation depend on what chest you have.If you have that big thing on your back that houses missiles and is used as a jetpack then you would fire from your back.

OR

Figure out some other way for a player to chose what animation he want to use.

This is actually a brilliant idea, but I don't know if people would simply care enough to support it. :/

• 3 weeks later...
How can you seriously say this and mean it .This is so surreal and anticlimactic for me.Can't belive developers listen to people like this guy.I am censoring myself with great effort here.

Don't know about you but the second someone uses an ability i know where he is and what class he is.

Commando's and mercenaries are focused because if left alone they will do some serious damage and are easy to lock down,not because ''omg look at the pretty rocket,keeeeel iiit''

/facepalm

It word seem to me that you are in the minority on this one. Your bloviating on about it is not helping you either. It was something that was overwhelmingly asked for. I can also safely say for myself as well as other Mercs in my guild that we much prefer the animation as is now too. The previous iteration was not only ridiculous looking but also left a hole in the rotation that made it not flow correctly either. It was something akin to the Troopers mortar volley before its "fix" where the animation. was not matching the effect.

I play all specs.Mentioned retractable blade cus its one of the unique powertech abilities and its part of the powertech's skillset,along with heavy use of flamethower.

Anyway,why would some1 playing advanced prototype or tactics be a bad sign and a sign of what?

If there are ''real issues'' then why was there a whiny prattle by a few people that forced that change.It's funny you should say i cry,because the point of this whole post is a remark on other people crying.

A major chunk of all mmo(and all games for that matter) forums are made up from stuff like that.

Oooooh the irony, you crying about other people crying and not seeing the humor and sad reality in.

I was not crying.This is not crying.I was simply expressing anger towards the players that forced the change..Crying is when the complaint is directed towards the developers which was not the case here,mostly.

Anyway this is was long time ago,i have gotten used to the new animation by now and i am playing my mercenary exclusively atm.Still some noticable sound effect would be better.To not hear a thing when a missile is being launched is wrong.

Another idea is to put the tracer missile animation swap/unswap with the old animation and sound in the cartel market in the Cosmetics/Consumables section.just an idea

Edited by Kaedusz

For the last time... There is overwhelming evidence to support that Bioware does not make changes solely based on player opinion. If there were no merit to the game mechanic reasons some people "cried about" they wouldn't have changed it... end of story. You can go on beating this dead horse but it wasn't because people whined it was because it was broken.

Best change ever IMO...spamming 'take a dump' animation was just crazy. Too bad you liked it, most of us are happy its been applied to a lower order cast in our priority rotation.

Yeah, I like that the animation changed. Giving tracer a wrist-mounted fire with an added laser-sight pointer was a great change.

Yeah, I like that the animation changed. Giving tracer a wrist-mounted fire with an added laser-sight pointer was a great change.

Agree too. The animation is awesome now...

They just have to improve the audio.. Low priority.. But still it'd be nice.