Update 5.10 - Jedi Under Siege

SaberToothNexu

I have a question about the new storyline coming out... I figure it will be like the iokath/traitor storyline, however I was wondering about which side you can support. I am a 100% light side jedi consular outlander, however I did align with the sith empire during my storyline, and chose to continue supporting through iokath and at the end of the nathema conspiracy, will there be an option to side with the republic/jedi again if the time comes? Or am I forced to remain with the sith empire from those choices from long before the storyline ever was revealed, I will not fight against the jedi or satele shan. That is all.

The last livestream talks a little about this. From what I understood those choices will count in the storyline, but I think Charles mentioned how the Nathema choice won't be the final. So I think it's likely we'll get a final choice but perhaps depending on our previous choices we might have a different leader for the Empire and the Republic based on our Iokath choice.

Fits with the theme of the old republic era, most of it is built on the back of the four schisms as far back as 10,000 years before. Ossus was apart of that, it was a big target for the sith, a target of jedi arrogance they wanted to crush as much as they wanted the knowledge within the databanks.

the planet is a ruin on the surface, yes, but after all that time i find it difficult to believe that plant life couldn't of recovered enough over a few hundred years. even nathema after the emperor was taken out of the picture, trees, plants and grasses were growing from that ruined world once again.

That makes sense... but will I have a choice to decide not to fight for the empire before the fighting begins? Or at least, not fight aginst Jedi Master Satele Shan?

There was an interview where one of the staff, Charles Boyd I think, said that the finally final unchangeable choice point has not yet happened. That is, neither our decision on Iokath nor the one after Nathema will be definitive. I don't know whether the definitive one comes before or after the 5.10 story, though.

Fits with the theme of the old republic era, most of it is built on the back of the four schisms as far back as 10,000 years before. Ossus was apart of that, it was a big target for the sith, a target of jedi arrogance they wanted to crush as much as they wanted the knowledge within the databanks.

the planet is a ruin on the surface, yes, but after all that time i find it difficult to believe that plant life couldn't of recovered enough over a few hundred years. even nathema after the emperor was taken out of the picture, trees, plants and grasses were growing from that ruined world once again.

Nathema is a different case altogether, Vitiate absorbed all Life Force from the planet making it a void in The Froce, when he died (allegedly) that energy poured back to the planet, accelerating it's restoration, destruction of Ossus was caused by Cron Cluster gone supernova, that kind of destruction is more lasting as planet described as arid and toxic, but not lifeless.

There was an interview where one of the staff, Charles Boyd I think, said that the finally final unchangeable choice point has not yet happened. That is, neither our decision on Iokath nor the one after Nathema will be definitive. I don't know whether the definitive one comes before or after the 5.10 story, though.

I wonder how they are going to incorporate these changes given our current companions and love interests. If you have a Sith who married Theron for example and goes back to the Empire, will he bolt the other direction? Certain companions hate the other side - Aric Jorgen, Theron, Kira, etc. I can't see them wanting to follow the player character to go to an opposite faction. Look at Elara Dorne who refused to do that for the Trooper. It makes me think we might see more of that, but I really hope not.

I wonder how they are going to incorporate these changes given our current companions and love interests. If you have a Sith who married Theron for example and goes back to the Empire, will he bolt the other direction? Certain companions hate the other side - Aric Jorgen, Theron, Kira, etc. I can't see them wanting to follow the player character to go to an opposite faction. Look at Elara Dorne who refused to do that for the Trooper. It makes me think we might see more of that, but I really hope not.

I think current companions won't be affected, so someone like Aric will keep following you regardless of the side you choose to support. But it would be nice to affect returning companions, even if only for a line regarding the choice you made. It could also affect which companions we get in the future, if the new story introduces any.

The last livestream talks a little about this. From what I understood those choices will count in the storyline, but I think Charles mentioned how the Nathema choice won't be the final. So I think it's likely we'll get a final choice but perhaps depending on our previous choices we might have a different leader for the Empire and the Republic based on our Iokath choice.

I'm a bit concerned as my Sith Inquisitor married Theron at the end of the Nathema Conspiracy and I'd rather like to keep him as a companion even though she's Imperial.

I'm a bit concerned as my Sith Inquisitor married Theron at the end of the Nathema Conspiracy and I'd rather like to keep him as a companion even though she's Imperial.

If I had to guess our choice won't affect current companions, perhaps new ones but I doubt it'll affect current ones. The same thing happened at Iokath where you can betray your original faction and it doesn't affect your current companions albeit it affects whether you get Quinn or Elara.

they said comments are welcome and they are listening-should I use twitter or here is enough?

I say they have succumbed to a very vocal minority of hard core fans-majority of which don't play any more and won't come back no matter how they try to appease them.

I personally liked alliance very much and to be honest even those who say "puke" don't mean it or at least 50% of them don't mean it-just trying to "follow the lead"

Speaking in terms of game events our hero had accomplished more then republic or empire ever did on current timeline, so him becoming again support of someone-doesn't seem right. Also alliance was not just to defeat Zakuul/Arcan/Valkorion - it was people transcending their differences and working together, which is now going to trash.

Thanks, but I think I'll be leaving the game and so will others and Bioware will loose both "hardcore", who left already and newcomers, like me (although I play for a year now).

What can save the game? New and exciting story-now when commander is weakened, both republic and empire should see him as a possible threat, considering his abilities and no matter whom he joins, there should be a very smart game, where he (of course!) will win at the end and beat them both, reestablishing alliance. He has no fleet now, but he has a really great team

they said comments are welcome and they are listening-should I use twitter or here is enough?

I say they have succumbed to a very vocal minority of hard core fans-majority of which don't play any more and won't come back no matter how they try to appease them.

I personally liked alliance very much and to be honest even those who say "puke" don't mean it or at least 50% of them don't mean it-just trying to "follow the lead"

Speaking in terms of game events our hero had accomplished more then republic or empire ever did on current timeline, so him becoming again support of someone-doesn't seem right. Also alliance was not just to defeat Zakuul/Arcan/Valkorion - it was people transcending their differences and working together, which is now going to trash.

Thanks, but I think I'll be leaving the game and so will others and Bioware will loose both "hardcore", who left already and newcomers, like me (although I play for a year now).

What can save the game? New and exciting story-now when commander is weakened, both republic and empire should see him as a possible threat, considering his abilities and no matter whom he joins, there should be a very smart game, where he (of course!) will win at the end and beat them both, reestablishing alliance. He has no fleet now, but he has a really great team

You are correct about story if we're talking about those who chose dark side ending of KOTET, after losing fleet, we have no choice but to join one side or the other, to bide time to reestablish our dominance once more, for those who chose LS ending obvious choice is to rejoin the Republic, because Alliance in essense was duplicationg Republic, at least it's values. As for hardcore fans leaving game it's their choice, whatever the reason, i'm a hardcore fan, always was, always will be, but i'm still here, paid for subscription for 3 month in advance, partly to get the best gear(which is painful going solo on 8 toons), bacuse with next expansion, i think it wiil be a long time to get the new one if ever, partly to get new expansion fo free and last but not least, to support development of the universe, because if you don't pay, then they got get paid, and, well, it's obvious where this will end. Personally, if i'm right in earlier post on this thread about which planet they are going to add, i will be very excited, if not, i will still want to find out what is what. I never get into hardcore discussions about what should or should not be in the game, because i have my opinion, you have yours, we're both entitled to it, and, frankly, i just don't care what other people think. Plesa don't start thowing accusations of being a EA bot and sucking up to them, i have my issues with direction they are heading but only in terms of New Canon and movies and books and all the crap with tolerance, IT'S EMPIRE, ITS SUPOSSED TO BE RACIST, XENOPHOBIC AND SEXIST AND GENERALLY ALL-AROUND EVIL (Sorry, ranting) so far. Over and Out.

Edited by LordDartAnarhist

Nathema is a different case altogether, Vitiate absorbed all Life Force from the planet making it a void in The Froce, when he died (allegedly) that energy poured back to the planet, accelerating it's restoration, destruction of Ossus was caused by Cron Cluster gone supernova, that kind of destruction is more lasting as planet described as arid and toxic, but not lifeless.

still doesn't mean that weeds can't redevelop on that world over time.

verification on how many actually jumped on that bandwagon when FE was launched is needed to really say one way or the other.

FE wasn't exactly the biggest and best highlight in SWTOR history. there was a lot of backlash regarding the story, how it doesn't make sense to non force users, why companion recruitment missions are primary missions and why they took so long and such and such. even today there are still the occasional negative voices about FE. It was ultimately met with a mixed response. when ET came it was met with a more lukewarm response but there were still detractors pointing out again how non force users can play a part, especially against Vaylin and the emperor, why there were too few missions and so on with that expac.

After the Nathaman Conspiracy events, the alliance has served it's purpose and without a fleet of its own, it has nothing but a few hundred people after licking its wounds from what Vaylin did at the end of ET on Odessen. no where near enough to be a threat to anything, not even the Hutts if they launched 30 Ajuur class ships to Odessen and bombarded the alliance base.

The alliance is nothing.

You are correct about story if we're talking about those who chose dark side ending of KOTET, after losing fleet, we have no choice but to join one side or the other, to bide time to reestablish our dominance once more, for those who chose LS ending obvious choice is to rejoin the Republic, because Alliance in essense was duplicationg Republic, at least it's values.

The alliance was about establishing ground between the Republic and Empire in politics, religion and practices, a safe place both can meet on common ground and share ideas, resources and so on, this way both sides benefits from the other point of view and so both are made stronger for it. it isn't strictly about how the alliance is stylised with the commander as the one in charge, at least not right away, it was all about being functional to everyone.

It had values of both empires plus a few from Zakuul. nothing was done by popular vote, the commander is the only one who decides what goes on within the alliance. more like a semi-dictator of this new nation where things are discussed and possible options are on the table but in the end the commander has the final word regardless.

The Republic does things by putting them up for vote, discussing them and each voice then votes if it is good or not, in events like that it is hard to predict the outcome and if a group of stubborn politicians vote against something that benefits everyone and the vote can't be passed because there is no majority vote. it is very different.

The Empires leaders just does, discussions can happen, but ultimately it is usually done on impulse.

I think current companions won't be affected, so someone like Aric will keep following you regardless of the side you choose to support. But it would be nice to affect returning companions, even if only for a line regarding the choice you made. It could also affect which companions we get in the future, if the new story introduces any.

Chances are that our current companions will have little to no screentime going forward. We've already seen several phased out (Kaliyo, Gault, Koth) as evident in their total absence from the Traitor storyline. And given that the Nathema Conspiracy concluded the extensive Emperor/Zakuul/Alliance storyline, I would also expect to see a phasing out of the companions that started us on that journey--Lana and Theron--in favor of new companions to start us on this new journey, like the teased "Jedi Veteran" and "Deadly Commando".

That said, I wouldn't expect BioWare to give screentime to any of our current companions to address their reactions. At this point, I think the writers would say that those who stayed with the Alliance post-Nathema, which includes all of our companions, have grown disillusioned with their original factions and now respect and trust the player's judgement, given that the player was the one who liberated the Galaxy from Zakuul. In that sense, they wouldn't have any strong feelings regarding which faction we support going forward.

Best case scenario, the writers will include mail messages to address our choices. Even though Jorgan would continue to follow players that support the Empire, he'd still have thoughts about fighting his former faction, so it would be nice to hear them via mail message.

Chances are that our current companions will have little to no screentime going forward. We've already seen several phased out (Kaliyo, Gault, Koth) as evident in their total absence from the Traitor storyline. And given that the Nathema Conspiracy concluded the extensive Emperor/Zakuul/Alliance storyline, I would also expect to see a phasing out of the companions that started us on that journey--Lana and Theron--in favor of new companions to start us on this new journey, like the teased "Jedi Veteran" and "Deadly Commando".

It's unfortunate but this is also what I expect as well. At best we'll have a cameo like Arcann during 5.9 or mails.

That said, I wouldn't expect BioWare to give screentime to any of our current companions to address their reactions. At this point, I think the writers would say that those who stayed with the Alliance post-Nathema, which includes all of our companions, have grown disillusioned with their original factions and now respect and trust the player's judgement, given that the player was the one who liberated the Galaxy from Zakuul. In that sense, they wouldn't have any strong feelings regarding which faction we support going forward.

In some cases that is indeed explicitly said, like how Aric Jorgan mentions how the Republic he fought for doesn't exist anymore. I'd expect that by this point those who haven't left are extremely loyal to the Commander and the ideal of a middle-ground for both factions, as well as likely disillusioned with their original factions.

Best case scenario, the writers will include mail messages to address our choices. Even though Jorgan would continue to follow players that support the Empire, he'd still have thoughts about fighting his former faction, so it would be nice to hear them via mail message.

I think this is definitely the cheapest and most effective option for those of us who still have those companions, it won't require voice-acting. I really hope we continue to get mails from companions.

I hope this means my Chiss double agent is finally going to be accepted into the Republic for real T_T

I'd be lying if I said the Devs have never disappointed, but... after all this build up, after all this teasing, after all this anticipation for Imp v Pub, I am almost certain that we will get the chance to actually have a legitimate defection.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping when all is said and done, Empire (and especially SITH) players have the opportunity to recruit Scourge and bring him back to the Imperial side. (and not just as a hologram in my dromund kaas stronghold.....) Making him romancable too..... :rak_04: (My Sith PB Jedi 5.0 dark knight will defect to the empire as long as she gets to keep Scourge, too~)

I was disappointed that other classes didn't get the opportunity to recruit Andronikos. My smuggler and he would have gotten along well.

My 5.0 LS BH sided with the Empire after Iokath..... a paycheck is a paycheck, and the Republic didn't exactly win her over by having Saresh do what she did...and empress A. may have her quirks, but she still stuck up for her in battle, which to a Mando'a - counts big in the decision.

So it will be an interesting ride....

You would possibly lose companions over the side you pick , Elara Dorne leaves if you side with the Imperials.

I'd be lying if I said the Devs have never disappointed, but... after all this build up, after all this teasing, after all this anticipation for Imp v Pub, I am almost certain that we will get the chance to actually have a legitimate defection.

It would only seem logical but just like you said, we're very much used to BW disappointing/underdelivering. So no, I say do NOT count on an actual defection/faction-swap, especially with game mechanics (guild/changing fleets etc). If it happens great, but it's rather hard to believe given the past 7 years and their track record.

It would only seem logical but just like you said, we're very much used to BW disappointing/underdelivering. So no, I say do NOT count on an actual defection/faction-swap, especially with game mechanics (guild/changing fleets etc). If it happens great, but it's rather hard to believe given the past 7 years and their track record.

Let me ask you this. Do you know any MMO RPG with faction swapping mechanics? Even WoW doesn't have that. If that was possible, they would've layed some ground work from early stages of development, which seems ulikely. Yes, there are cross-faction pvp battles now, which there weren't before, but there are different mechanics involved, at least i believe so (devs can chime in any minute). And with some FPs being faction-specific like The Foundry|The Maelstrom Prison (imagine Inquisitor or Agent busting Revan out or Jedi Knight capturing Foundry for the Empire, considering it happened before you switched sides, makes for awkward moment) and others with different dialogues, you can't just realize this mechanism with some patch or expansion. This will just mess up the whole game. So 99.9% says it won't happen. If i'm wrong, good for you, but i won't change factions for any of my toons anyway. Although i did choose to ally with Imps on Iokath on my smuggler, but since it's not final i will make amends and go back to Rep.

Edited by LordDartAnarhist

Let me ask you this. Do you know any MMO RPG with faction swapping mechanics? Even WoW doesn't have that. If that was been possible, they would've layed some ground work from early stages of development, which seems ulikely. Yes, there are cross-faction pvp battles now, which there weren't before, but there are different mechanics involved, at least i believe so (devs can chime in any minute). And with some FPs being faction-specific like The Foundry|The Maelstrom Prison (imagine Inquisitor or Agent busting Revan out or Jedi Knight capturing Foundry for the Empire, considering it happened before you switched sides, makes for awkward momnent) and others with different dialogues, you can't just realize this mechanism with some patch or expansion. This will just mess up the whole game. So 99.9% says it won't happen. If i'm wrong, good for you, but i won't change factions for any of my toons anyway. Although i did choose to ally with Imps on Iokath on my smuggler, but since it's not final i will make amends and go back to Rep.

I'm not asking for a real swap that affects everything else, I just want it for the contained single player story stuff going forward. I don't care if my character is still restricted to imperial worlds/fleet/flashpoints, just as I didn't care that Korriban and Tython were perfectly fine after those flashpoints and NPCs that had been killed were alive. If the game lets us side with a faction 3 times in the story but then forces us to stick with our original faction in said story then I'll have to abandon several characters.

I'm not asking for a real swap that affects everything else, I just want it for the contained single player story stuff going forward. I don't care if my character is still restricted to imperial worlds/fleet/flashpoints, just as I didn't care that Korriban and Tython were perfectly fine after those flashpoints and NPCs that had been killed were alive. If the game lets us side with a faction 3 times in the story but then forces us to stick with our original faction in said story then I'll have to abandon several characters.

Then you are playing the wrong game, cause they can't do that because of MMO (where you have to interact with other players, choosing not to do so is just an option) part, such swap is global thing which will affect every aspect of the game. 1 scenario where it could be acchieved is to totaly block access to previous content: Chapters, dailies, FPs, OPS and so on, even galaxy map will have to become different with all-new planets, which is pretty much a suicide for the game itself. As i said in previous post, i could be wrong, i'm not a game developer, don't have any knowledge or experience in that area, so don't take my words for an expert opinion.

Then you are playing the wrong game, cause they can't do that because of MMO (where you have to interact with other players, choosing not to do so is just an option) part, such swap is global thing which will affect every aspect of the game. 1 scenario where it could be acchieved is to totaly block access to previous content: Chapters, dailies, FPs, OPS and so on, even galaxy map will have to become different with all-new planets, which is pretty much a suicide for the game itself. As i said in previous post, i could be wrong, i'm not a game developer, don't have any knowledge or experience in that area, so don't take my words for an expert opinion.

All that, *plus* forced ejection from the character's guild, forced scrubbing of friend/ignore lists, sudden change of appearance of armour, etc. etc.

All in all, it's not a good idea. It's a bad idea in most factionated games, since there are inevitably:

* Faction-specific maps

* Faction-specific quests and missions

* Faction-specific gear

* Faction-specific guilds

I can think of only one MMORPG that has messed in any way with its faction structure, and that was Horizon 2.0 in the web-series NOOB, where they added a faction, and had some systems for changing factions. But don't forget that this was a *fictional* MMORPG rather than a real one.