Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The new Ops are just too hard!

Uzamakiuchi
10.05.2015 , 04:26 AM | #141
uuh o new ops aint hard easy just take brain
and they just mellee unfriendly

BobFredJohn
10.08.2015 , 12:53 AM | #142
I agree with OP, but title is misleading.

IMO its not the ops that are the problem. Its what you wrote in your second (or third) paragraph. The game doesn't encourage people to learn mechanics.

The entire solo game up to level 55 or 60 rarely does much to punish standing in red circles. The fastest exp in the game (KDY) only lightly touches on the concept of "bad cirlces on floor" with bosses like khoris or the droid. And people rarely join FP's (which have some elements of mechanics) because kdy is a faster pop with more exp.

There should be missions within the story which are like Oricon missions. The boss at the bottom of the map, if you aren't overgeared you will need to manage stuns and CC's to beat it. The boss at the top of the map, if you aren't overgeared you will need to interrupt. The final boss in the tower, if your not overgeared you will need to prioritise interrupts (1 of his 3 channels does a lot more damage than the other 2), time cleanses (remove the armour debuff) and fit all that around doing some damage to the guy.

Sadly even putting missions like that in the main story wont help. When was the last time you saw someone climbing the tower solo, they all go in groups to cheese it. When was the last time you landed on Oricon not to instantly see "need help with <boss name> please"

You can try and force people to learn, but they will just group up and continue to cheese it. Only solution is to have patience with the PUG's and explain mechanics multiple times.

I don't think we should be blaming the ops for this, but like you said blaming PUG's is no good either. None of us switched the game on the first time, ran out into the starting planet (or coruscant/DK, once you get some abilities) and were throwing around stuns, interrupts and CC's like a NiM ops runner. I learnt about these things in FP's, because the story never makes you do them. If other people don't like FP's they will find themselves thrown in at the deep end at 60.
Teach me not what to think, but how to think

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. People are also entitled to ridicule your opinion if it is BS.

mephistosaurus
10.10.2015 , 01:02 AM | #143
Quote: Originally Posted by BobFredJohn View Post
I agree with OP, but title is misleading.

IMO its not the ops that are the problem. Its what you wrote in your second (or third) paragraph. The game doesn't encourage people to learn mechanics.

The entire solo game up to level 55 or 60 rarely does much to punish standing in red circles. The fastest exp in the game (KDY) only lightly touches on the concept of "bad cirlces on floor" with bosses like khoris or the droid. And people rarely join FP's (which have some elements of mechanics) because kdy is a faster pop with more exp.

There should be missions within the story which are like Oricon missions. The boss at the bottom of the map, if you aren't overgeared you will need to manage stuns and CC's to beat it. The boss at the top of the map, if you aren't overgeared you will need to interrupt. The final boss in the tower, if your not overgeared you will need to prioritise interrupts (1 of his 3 channels does a lot more damage than the other 2), time cleanses (remove the armour debuff) and fit all that around doing some damage to the guy.

Sadly even putting missions like that in the main story wont help. When was the last time you saw someone climbing the tower solo, they all go in groups to cheese it. When was the last time you landed on Oricon not to instantly see "need help with <boss name> please"

You can try and force people to learn, but they will just group up and continue to cheese it. Only solution is to have patience with the PUG's and explain mechanics multiple times.

I don't think we should be blaming the ops for this, but like you said blaming PUG's is no good either. None of us switched the game on the first time, ran out into the starting planet (or coruscant/DK, once you get some abilities) and were throwing around stuns, interrupts and CC's like a NiM ops runner. I learnt about these things in FP's, because the story never makes you do them. If other people don't like FP's they will find themselves thrown in at the deep end at 60.

Agreed 100%!

When 3.0 first came out, I got to run Ravagers on 16M the 1st week. It was a brutal after doing EV/KP/EC @ 55 and getting away with bad placement, high endurance, and cheesing mechanics. Needing to use interrupts, DCD's and at the right time. Well not until that first insta-death on pre nerf Bulo did I remember what those keys were for.

I didn't get the feeling that in 3.0 TFP's or even HMFP's were part of progression. With the solo mode option it didn't seem as necessary to take time on the FP's, where to stand, what not to stand in. Jesus bot did all work and I just mashed buttons. With the solo mode though it removed an important part into learning sm raid mechanics. Basic movement and placement. When to use interrupts and Cooldowns. Kiting and killing adds is another one that gets overlooked on some pugs.

Its going to be interesting in the coming weeks with scaled raids, no more face rolling. As is I still see people wiping on Brontes, before the clock phase. Nerf SOA threads will make a return shortly after launch, and healing Dread Council on burn phase will be a challenge once again at level. I look forward to all of these, but have been lucky enough to pug each one every week to practice my needed skills and keep them up.
Click for free stuff - http://www.swtor.com/r/QytrJd