Are you for real?

lassiaf

Galactic StarFighter..

The worst imablanced pvp system imaginable..

I had a long break from the game and upon my return.

I thought of taking some time to try out some galactic starfighter matches.

Only to find out it's themost disapointing pile of wookie droppings i've seen in my entire life.

It's 100% out of balance...

if you're interested in playing it tough luck you had to join in "the fun"back when it first came out to even make a chance of getting a few decent kills as a blank pilot without any upgrades.

Seriously.. I literally have to shoot my enemies hundreds of times before they finally drop..

And I'm getting destroyed with just 2 laser shots.. yes main weapon laser fire. not even a missile lock.

And even diverting power to shields or wepaons won't improve anything at all. instead of 2 shtos they'll just shoot a 3rd laser shot and still kill you.

Upgrades fine but atleast freaking balance it out.

It's like playing a pay 2 win game as a f2p player eventhough you're subscribed.

It's total garbage.

But this topic will probably be hated by those wo have played it since start and are now abusing the imabalanced system to instantly destroy any new comer without resistance. Just to stimulate their allready pathetic and seemingly autistic ego's and creating an ilusion for themselves that they're any good.

this game barrely has any strategic or skill value.

It's just upgrade to max and you win.

as the majority of the repbulic ( atelast on my server ) are newcomers to the gameplay and wish to see it and experience it as well.

and with the average enemy team haivng atleast 50% of fully upgraded team members it's defintely a loss.

And I don't mind losing.. But getting killed by 2 shots and target locked eventhough I'mhding behind meteorites and ships is just rage encouraging stupid bullsh!@#t

We've had literally dozens of threads like this, and the only thing we can tell you is, that the new player experience indeed is bad. At this point, if you want to do GSF seriously, you probably need do invest at least 1-2 months of 2-3 matches per day to get to a level where it starts being fun. Also you'll need someone to guide you through basics, because learning by doing is nearly impossible.

However, GSF is not a p2w game. All things you can buy are either purely cosmetic, or just speed up the gearing process slightly. Only that gearing up isn't the main problem for new players, a pilot has to know what to do, when and how to do it - a new player doesn't have the experience for that. Even between pilots with fully geared ships there is a vast difference in skill. I've seen a lot of games where ace-quality pilots easily mopped the floor with their equally geared opponents. Considering 1-2 games per day a veteran pilot will have 3 good ships at 70-80% of their power after only 2-3 weeks.

Which server are you flying on?

Even upgraded ships can get killed in one or two shots depending on the situation. My pilots have mastered ships and I get killed easily. To my there's not much difference in survivability between mastered and non mastered ships. The difference is in the weapons and engine upgrades, those are the big ones when it comes to living longer.

Over 10.

Not to sound condescending, but that's nothing. In any PvP game you have ranks, tiers, etc. that show your advancement. I won't get into lists here, but let's put it this way - in any other game, you would be just out of the tutorial by now. This means you should know the controls, nothing more. Knowing the controls is a far cry from knowing how to play, and between knowing how to play and being good the chasm is even larger.

All this is not to say all GSF components and ships are balanced - they're not, and anyone who has been playing for a while will agree that certain ships and components are clearly superior to others. But at your skill level, this is not what is holding you back.

If you are interested in learning the game, I have a bunch of threads linked in my signature. Take a look at them, learn which ships are considered good ones and which upgrades should be gotten first.

If you fly on TRE, SL, TEH or harb I'd be glad to group with you too. Often, having a flying partner makes surviving the awful matchmaker more bearable.

Edited by Greezt

I have played over 10 matches.

Only won 2. and with win I mean getting carried.

I'm gonna second Greezt/Close-shave here and say that you haven't played enough to really get a handle on how to steer, much less anything else.

Yes, you get destroyed in 2 - 4 shots. That doesn't change at any level, if someone's using BLC or a railgun. If they aren't, well, it wasn't 2 - 4 shots.

The reason you need so many hits to kill another player is because the devs decided that you needed the worst weapon on your stock ships. You really should look into the guides mentioned above; they can help you a lot. If you play on Harbinger or TEH, I can also help you out sometime.

Drakolich has done a few videos with low req ships.

Maybe this will help you out. Although I don't recommend playing a strike fighter, ever, you should also check out
In both of those he talks a lot about how to play at low req.

Edit: Here's my very first game on Shadowlands. That's a stock ship. Yeah, upgrades do matter, but they don't matter as much as you believe they do, and that proves it.

Edited by DakhathKilrathi

Galactic StarFighter..

Fortunately we don't have to imagine a PvP system with both mechanical and gearing issues far worse than those in GSF, all you have to do is queue for warzones and you can experience it first hand.

Honestly, you're better off than a lot of new GSF players. You clearly understand Line of Sight as a defensive technique, even if it's just as clear that you're not any good at it yet in a fast moving 3D maneuver space.

Those missiles locking you "through" LoS barriers are not in fact locking you through LoS barriers, you just haven't developed enough situational awareness yet to tell for sure whether or not you have successfully LoSed all of the ships that may be trying to lock a missile on you.

GSF basically requires the gaming skillsets of an MMORPG, a FPS, and a combat flight sim all at the same time, and it gives you very little time to think and react. It's an inherently difficult to learn setup to learn if you don't already have all three skillsets from playing other games, and even if you do have them you need practice to combine them at the same time.

It's not possible for a more experienced player to lend you a set of mastered ships, but is possible for us to start new alts with completely stock ships. Many of us have done it many, many times. Enough times to be completely certain that no amount of gear or ship choice is enough to help a pilot who doesn't know what they're doing, and that a skilled pilot can be a decent contributor to their team even in a stock version of any of the candidates for, "worst ship in GSF."

The gear resets and game mechanic changes while leveling are far less balanced in ground PvP and PvE in SWTOR. However, the ground game has a very gradual set of steps of content for learning how to play before you can access maximum difficulty content.

In GSF there is no gradation of content. You just get thrown into whatever match is currently forming in the matchmaking queue. A matchmaker that isn't known for being very good at balancing matches even under ideal conditions. So there's nothing preventing your first match from being very difficult. There's nothing to prevent your first 1000 matches from being very difficult.

In terms of how much the game prepares you, instead of 65 levels of PvE and PvP content leading up to max difficulty content, GSF does the equivalent of saying, "you can move with WASD," and then dumping you into Ranked Arena.

The result has been painful for new players since the very first day of GSF early access, but BW didn't have the money or time to do a decent tutorial then, and most indications are that they have less money and less time now than they did then, so improvements aren't likely any time soon.

On the other hand, the community of GSF players has assembled enough in the way of guides and advice so that GSF is possibly the best documented aspect of SWTOR in terms of player made guides and materials.

Really all that's lacking is a player made tutorial mission that does a decent job of teaching all of the GSF mechanics in a logical step by step manner. The only tiny problem with that is that BW is pretty set against modding SWTOR (for a lot of pretty good reasons), so this would involve cloning GSF from scratch. That's a fairly large task if you don't have a team of full time developers working on it for at least several months. Actually, it's a reasonably large task even if you do have that full time team, which is part of why GSF doesn't even get updates to fix things like typos in the tooltips.

I have played over 10 matches.

Only won 2. and with win I mean getting carried.

You will need to play at least 50 matches to get the hang of things, my friend. And hate to break it to you, but if you are going scout (for example), you will always be 2-4 shotted, and if you are going gunship (as another example) it will never get easier to aim.

GSF is really all about skill, when a skilled player starts a new character, he can easily kill a less skilled player, even in 1vs1. The upgrade level will only change the speed of the kill, or determine the result when 2 equally skilled players are fighting (and dying like that can really be annoying, but it is rare enough).

Can tell you from experience that my 1st character was flying way worse with its mastered ship than how I fly with the same ship 0% modded now. Read guides, see what loadout do you need (upgrades don't matter, but the actual pieces do, rapid fire which is the default laser of the scout, for example, cant do the same things that burst can do), see what possible weapons do different enemy ships have (for example, if you don't know what ion railgun is, it will kill you), see why you get killed, why you miss, why do people manage to avoid you/ manage to hit you when you attempt to avoid. Guides and experience really make all the difference.

And ignore the morons who already fly better and have to TELL you that they are better, it is normal to die more than you kill in the 1st 100 matches (since many people already are experienced), and guys who ignore that and start casting blame on new players simply aren't realistic, or need that to boost their ego...

1 tip short tip I can give: don't go for gunships, bombers or scouts with burst laser (after you see/hear them shoot you can recognize burst by its low rate of fire) unless they are busy with someone else, these really are a bit invincible when fighting an unmodded ship.

P.S:

and with the average enemy team haivng atleast 50% of fully upgraded team members it's defintely a loss.

And I don't mind losing.. But getting killed by 2 shots and target locked eventhough I'mhding behind meteorites and ships is just rage encouraging stupid bullsh!@#t

As I said above, getting 2 shotted will always be your problem, even when mastered, if you don't practice enough and get caught in the open or behind you back, but you do have a point there:

Though being upgraded or not isn't the reason, there is often a terrible EXPIRIENCE imbalance between the faction, in certain hours at least. Such a difference that you can sometimes believe the other group is premade, but it is just a real coincidence that 1 faction has more experienced pilots than the other. I addresses that problem before here, it won't solve the premade problem if 4 aces queue and no other ace (not enough aces?) is there to oppose them, but it will solve the usual non-premade faction imbalance, making both groups nearly equal (or at least increasing the possibility, cause all groupfinder systems are random) and can also split 2 premades from being matched together and being an invincible group. Didn't have much luck getting attention yet, but it could really solve the win/loss problem. It will also decrease (just a bit) the rate in which you get killed, because if not all good pilots are on 1 team, they will have to handle each other rather than farm newbies (they WILL have time for you, but less).

Edited by Rafiknoll

Galactic StarFighter..

[snip] most disapointing pile of wookie droppings i've seen in my entire life.

if you're interested in playing it tough luck you had to join in "the fun"back when it first came out to even make a chance of getting a few decent kills as a blank pilot without any upgrades.

It's like playing a pay 2 win game as a f2p player eventhough you're subscribed.

It's total garbage.

Thank you for your feedback.

Hope you enjoy the ground PvP much more, where showing up for the very first time in bolstered meager PvE gear will not in the slightest diminish your non-PvP related expertise with the class of your choosing in an environment that is totally not at all different from basic leveling experience, and veterans with top tier PvP gear playing a FotM class will not leave any bruises after they are done having their way with your posterior.

Have a nice day!

IMHO it is the opposite.

You can reach the top 3 with a stock ship. (At the least, I do it often).

How you are piloting and how you are aware of the space, ships & rocks around you have a far greater influence than the stuff of your ship. Of course, if you are static with a stock ship and fire in front of a mastered ship, you are dead meat. But if you can use tricks and flying tactics with success, you can have many kills. It is easier and faster with a mastered ship, I don't deny this, but the outcome rely definitly more on skill than stuff.

IMHO it is the opposite.

You can reach the top 3 with a stock ship. (At the least, I do it often).

How you are piloting and how you are aware of the space, ships & rocks around you have a far greater influence than the stuff of your ship. Of course, if you are static with a stock ship and fire in front of a mastered ship, you are dead meat. But if you can use tricks and flying tactics with success, you can have many kills. It is easier and faster with a mastered ship, I don't deny this, but the outcome rely definitly more on skill than stuff.

Try it out for yourself, lassiaf: work hard and master a ship, keep playing around 20 more matches after mastered, then go to another character, who didn't upgrade it at all (if you changed loadout, you might want to get the basic loadout of the mastered ship 1st though. For example: if you switched barrel roll with retro thursters, buy retro thrusters 1st) and compare your abilities with the new ship to your abilities with the mastered ship at the time that it was new. Self experience: 1st battle, blackbolt,, not even loadout set BUT ON MY 2ND GSF CHARACTER. results: 8 kills, 10 assists, 2 deaths, 15 medals. (don't remember the rest), You can imagine this weren't my results in my 1st match with my 1st character :D.

Galactic StarFighter..

I had a long break from the game and upon my return.

I thought of taking some time to try out some galactic starfighter matches.

Only to find out it's themost disapointing pile of wookie droppings i've seen in my entire life.

Seriously.. I literally have to shoot my enemies hundreds of times before they finally drop..

And I'm getting destroyed with just 2 laser shots.. yes main weapon laser fire. not even a missile lock.

And even diverting power to shields or wepaons won't improve anything at all. instead of 2 shtos they'll just shoot a 3rd laser shot and still kill you.

It's total garbage.

But this topic will probably be hated by those wo have played it since start and are now abusing the imabalanced system to instantly destroy any new comer without resistance. Just to stimulate their allready pathetic and seemingly autistic ego's and creating an ilusion for themselves that they're any good.

as the majority of the repbulic ( atelast on my server ) are newcomers to the gameplay and wish to see it and experience it as well.

ARE YOU FOR REAL, DUDE ? That was the stupidest thing I've ever read on this forum...

1. You whine too much. Learn to play instead ? How about that ?

2. You get destroyed with 2 laser shots by AceJoe, becasue unlike you, AceJoe didn't whine when he was a new GSF player and went through the pain that newbies face. Furthermore, AceJoe now has better ships than you becasue of this.

3. You don't skill ? Oh come on. If you want to be good at GSF you have to have skill in flying the ship, flying in narrow spaces, etc, tricking the enemy. It's like driving a car.

4. It's umbalanced ? As if ground PVP is most balanced thing ever, right ? You fight a team of preamde sorc,'s an you're dead as dead can be.

G

GSF isn't for everyone, judging by your post it isn't for you, or you are too lazy and unwilling to learn, and you come here to complain and whine about it on the forum instead.

There are a lot of players here, who are aware of the hardships but they are loving it and are willing to get better.

I started GSF last year.. Have 2000+ matches since and I know that it's hard, but it won't getter if you whine. Practice and learn, ask good players to help you with upgrades, skills tactics etc. that's what I did and it payed off.

Good luck and all the best to you.

Uvora/Zihani TRE

You are absolutely right. The starter primary weapon on the two starter ships is undeniably the worst primary weapon in the game. Everyone, from novice to veteran, will agree that Rapid Fire Lasers (RFLs for short) need serious work if they are to remain the starter component. When you combine the impotence of RFLs with the stacking of the defensive stat "evasion," you are probably correct in your perception that you must seeminlgy shoot your enemies hundreds of times to take them out. It is a terrible combination of circumstances for new players, and everyone agrees there has to be a change to the RFLs (or a change to the starter primary weapon).

Fortunately, until that change occurs, you have two options.

1. Completing the "Introduction to Starfighter" mission earns you 5000 fleet requisition, enough to buy two of the most effective ships in the game. Nothing in the ground game even comes close. As band-aids to game imbalance goes, this was a great move by the developers. There's no guarantee that when you complete your first operation you'll win any set bonus pieces, or when you complete your first warzone you'll get a free level 65 sorc or PT.

2. If you are on your strike fighter, merely pressing the number 1 key will swap from rapid fire lasers to heavy laser cannons, which are one of the BEST primary weapons in the game. Of course, you'll have to do this every time you respawn, but it's an easy fix.

(deleted)

On my main republic pilot, I have played 698 battles with only 398 wins, and earned a total lifetime ship req of over 955 k and fleet req of over 114k. I have every ship mastered, but I earned my ship masteries over twenty months prior to this post. Now, I have no idea how many of my wins came in the 20 months since I've mastered every ship. But I can promise you that upgrades simply do not equate to instant winning.

Many others in this thread have posted helpful links to threads, guides, and videos outlining strategies for choosing the right ship components and spending requisition to improve your effectiveness.

But, with nearly seventy times the number of matches as yourself and mastered ships, I'm still barely over 50/50 win rate. That doesn't include the GSF played on my imperial main or any of my alts, but my win rate isn't any better.

Skill in this game trumps everything. It happens in the ground game too: someone who is a pro at keybinds, target switching, etc but 204 pvp gear will probably outperform someone of the same discipline who is in 208 gear but terrible at those things. You don't have a 4:1 loss ratio because you are in non-upgraded ships. You have a poor win:loss ratio because you have a tiny fraction of the number of games veterans have. Did you feel this way the first time you wiped on HM Nefra? Or when you lost 6-0 at Huttball? Or did you put on your grown up pants and try to do better next time?

I don't pay much attention to the win/loss ratio. You can be as good as you want, it doesn't mean you will win gsf battles. When you are at the top of the result table with 20-25 kills in deathmatch and your best allies don't have more than 1 or 2 kills, I don't know how you can win.

But GSF need training time. In order to be good at flying this, you have to train hard. The learning ticket is costly, nobody (or it is very rare) is a born GSF pilot. In order to be able to fly well, you have to do a great amount of battles. At least, I'd say, 10 to learn the basic, 30 to be an average pilot with one ship, 100 to be a good pilot with one ship (flying a scout, a bomber or a GS is not really the same thing, even if there are things in common).

Edited by Tredayn

We've had literally dozens of threads like this, and the only thing we can tell you is, that the new player experience indeed is bad. At this point, if you want to do GSF seriously, you probably need do invest at least 1-2 months of 2-3 matches per day to get to a level where it starts being fun. Also you'll need someone to guide you through basics, because learning by doing is nearly impossible.

This is a person who only plays in a premade of 4-8 others and thinks the way people learn is to be stomped by them 48-2. They are also the ones who take all three nodes and after a few matches act surprised when the pops stop.

You learn the game by flying other players of similar skill and level of gear on their ships. Being spawn killed a dozen times isn't giving anyone a positive experience that they'll stick with GSF.

You learn the game by flying other players of similar skill and level of gear on their ships. Being spawn killed a dozen times isn't giving anyone a positive experience that they'll stick with GSF.

I disagree. It can and has created some pretty good players. Mikaboshi and Halkian on Harbinger both come to mind. Both are good players, and neither of them started until well after everyone else had mastered ships (as far as I know). I can think of a handful of people on TEH who stuck with it, too, and they stuck with it not because anyone was giving them pity points, but because the community was willing to help them improve.

The best thing you can do for GSF is to offer to help other players. What you're suggesting is really just an insult. Handicapping yourself says that you don't take your opposition seriously, and maybe you don't, but that's not a message I want to send.

Edited by DakhathKilrathi

• 3 weeks later...
They invested a great deal of time and money into a lackluster game mode then abandoned it, the only reason theres a very slight blip now is for the dvl achievement but that is already waning as people do 5 and wash their hands of it