What is this perfect MMO everyone is so fond of?

Grashopa

I am by no means an expert, I have only played a few mmo's seriously though i have dabled in several. What i am wondering though is, what mmorpg has ever had a perfect launch with little to no bugs and has succesfully pleased every player?

There are so many thread here bithcing about whats wrong with swtor but what is it being compared to. What games have had a perfect launch and also had or hadnt had every feature everyone wants or doesnt want?

I know that for the most part everyone complaing on the forums are not truly going anywhere, but i still wonder sometimes where the ones that do leave go (not includeing WoW).

EDIT: Also, per the title, feel free to list your favorite MMORPG here despite how its launch went.

Edited by Grashopa

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I really don't know. You'll find that most MMO fans play multiple games. One or 2 pay to play and a hand full of freebies. I can only assume WoW would be at the top of the list I suppose.

But if you took a real, honest look at all the major MMO's out there....WoW, Conan, CoH/CoV, DCU, STO, Rift, LotRO, AO, EVE, GW, EQ, War etc. etc.....there really is A LOT to choose from and they each all have their share of problems and haters. TOR is easily a contender in this mix and has no reason to be singled out as some kind of "special case" failure.

Edited by Vitellius

SWTOR is the best yet, for me. though I'm a big fan of WoW after Cataclysm (I loved doing the 1-60 again with alts and experiencing the whole new world). Story by far is one of the most important aspects of any game, and a game without story gives me little motivation to deal with the leveling and questing.

I am by no means an expert, I have only played a few mmo's seriously though i have dabled in several. What i am wondering though is, what mmorpg has ever had a perfect launch with little to no bugs and has succesfully pleased every player?

There are so many thread here bithcing about whats wrong with swtor but what is it being compared to. What games have had a perfect launch and also had or hadnt had every feature everyone wants or doesnt want?

I know that for the most part everyone complaing on the forums are not truly going anywhere, but i still wonder sometimes where the ones that do leave go (not includeing WoW).

EDIT: Also, per the title, feel free to list your favorite MMORPG here despite how its launch went.

Any one with an appearance tab ^^

What i am wondering though is, what mmorpg has ever had a perfect launch with little to no bugs and has succesfully pleased every player?

DAOC.

Easy log in. No bugs that I can think of at all. The only complaints I ever hear about DAOC is balancing issues, and that came much later.

The launch seemed flawless to me.

Mal

World of Warcraft (pre expansion)

World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade was close

The other two expansions are pretty good, but not perfect; still a lot better than anything else on the market, though

Did you play on launch day? Or the few months after Launch? World of Panda craft was a mess.

BC was a pretty solid expansion, but balancing was pretty bad and it was littered with exploits even months after release. I know for a fact because I used two different exploits to powerlevel my paladin to 70.

Everquest was probably the smoothest MMO launch I have ever seen, but they quickly botched it up with new expansions, and plains of power and shadows of luclin totally ruined the game.

FFXI around the Treasures of Aht Urghan time was my favorite. Although TOR is well on its way to holding that title. Unfortunately I wasn't around for FFXI's launch so I can't say what it was like, but I'd imagine pretty so-so. I've been in other MMO launches though and it seems like bugs in Star Wars are pretty on par with those games at launch (only way more fun to play). But I'm not one of the ones QQing around here :p

The game's new and I don't expect to be perfect or even close to perfect. I just expect it to be fun and have potential for the future. The only real complaint I have about this game that I think will hurt it for me in the long run is that it's way too casual friendly. I'm not saying the game should be entirely or even mostly uber hardmode, but it would be nice if they added in some super rare bosses/drops and extra challenges to capture that sense of accomplishment for those of us who miss the challenge and hard work that MMOs required before WoW came along.

Did you play on launch day? Or the few months after Launch? World of Panda craft was a mess.

This, this, this.

Seriously, anyone who says that vanilla WoW was the best game ever is either the biggest Blizzard fanboy in existence, a nostalgia gamer that is completely blinded by their past, or a flat out liar. Open beta/stress tests were an absolute joke. I could list on one hand the things in the game come release that weren't bugged. It took ages for Blizzard to patch all the problems with the game, and even then it was so inaccessible and poorly balanced that many believe it to be a miracle that the game lived this long. Memories of the flight master bugs and the Burning Steppes still give me nightmares.

So far, this game is doing it for me. Smoothest launch I have ever been a part of (and I was part of WoW's launch). The game is fun, there is a lot for me to do in it. PVP and Space Combat provide fun, quick, and accessible entertainment that I an do in a pinch if I don't have time to quest or run a flashpoint.

I'm excited to see how this game evolves over the years, I can't help but wonder what we will be saying an expansion or two down the line...

"Oh yeah, well I remember back around launch when <insert fond memory here>"

Not sure what you mean by perfect MMO, I've never seen anyone claim such a thing. I do know that people have various thresholds of tolerance for the number of bugs a game should have at launch. And it seems to me that Bioware has violated a good number of peoples thresholds.

This is before many of your time, but the text-based Dragonrealms back in the mid-90s was AWESOME. Learn-through-use skill system, unimpeded thievery/pickpocketing of other players, "real" character death, great universe, loads of secrets (e.g. Thieves guild for any of you who played), a system that described in WORDS rather than numbers (e.g. "your sword thunked into the goblin's arm, nearly severing it" rather than "418 DMG")....

I could go on. A lot of this is much harder to do in graphical MMOs now, but man, hopefully someday we have an MMO without any effing NUMBERS in it.

I loved Anarchy Online. Had a blast in Dark Age of Camelot.

I also really enjoyed WoW at launch, and for about a year and a half after that.

Hmmm....

City of Heroes was fun in it's way.

I haven't seen any perfect games. Some are fun, some aren't. I like this one quite a bit right now.

Vanilla wow - servers were down for 3 days but I could still drop any quest, had addons, had macros, and no ui stopped working bugs. Not everything was perfect but damn it still felt smooth and considering I came from beta and the servers were down all the time anyway.