Thankfully, a nail in the coffin of the EU

LordPorkins

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to answer some points some people have made....

This discussion isn't about whether books are better than films as an art medium. They have different strengths and weaknesses. However when one is adapted from the other, the new art form tends to be weaker. In other words, films of books tend to be inferior to books, and vice versa.

In the case of Star Wars, the reason it was so big was because it did something on the cinema screen that no other movie had done at that time. Audiences were wowed and captured by a new cinematic experience.

The books and spin offs comics that followed were not groundbreaking in any way because they were not produced by a visionary or creative genius the way the films were. They were mediocre books that would not appear on a single 'must read' list, unless you were a star wars fan starved of new star wars material.

The expanded universe is weak because of this. There is nothing unusual or remarkable about it.

I actually agree that the expanded universe is only going to expand as a result of the new films. New films means new spin offs.

But the inspiration, and what captures the imagination about Star Wars is what appears on the cinema screen, no one got into Star Wars from reading the books.

You sir need to learn that while you are entitled to your own opinion it isn't a fact, nor is it shared by everyone in the world. If you feel that the books where garbage, fine feel that way if you so desire, but don't presume to tell people that those books are making the rest of the EU weaker. While I might agree with some of your points in regards to some of the books, some others where must reads, in my eyes, and there must be some people that felt the same way as quite a few have received Best Seller honors.

Quite frankly, some of the biggest plot holes in either Star Wars came about because of the movies. If you recall in The Empire Strikes Back, Yoda told Obi Wan about Leia, but in Revenge of the Sith Obi Wan was there when she was born, and held her in her arms. There where only 18 years between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope, yet Obi Wan a who couldn't have been much more than 30 in Revenge of the Sith, looks well into his 50, or 60's (Alec Guinness (1914–2000) he was 63 when A New Hope was released in 1977) in A New Hope, did someone forget to mention to George Lucas that Jedi age slower than normal people, and Sith are the ones who age faster?

I never said they should make it how I would like it done. Love him or hate him, it should be done how george wants it done, and if hes too old and crotchety it shouldnt get done. Period.

Disney is going to repaint the mona lisa, of course people are up in arms you freaking melvin.

Disney is going to take what Lucas ruined with EP1-3 and possibly bring it back to the original vision Lucas had but lost because of his change of life and thought as we all go through as we get older .

George Lucas = William Shatner (" One is a Creator/Director and the other is a Actor , and both will only be known for what they built or helped build and they both begin with "STAR" )

George Lucas wanted to be known for more than StarWars but didn't realise that a good amount of people would begin to have fantasies of living in his world called "StarWars" . They he began to treat it like something he had to not only protect from other writers and artist , but he would have to protect from its Fan Base .

He created Canons and then belittled the none Movie Canons with stories that kept his Movies in the Light for all too see .

Now he sold the Company Lucasfilms and all that came with it including the creation called "StarWars" ! He no longer has the right to judge or belittle work that others put into this series legally by his own agreement and now further more that his agreement is no longer valid .

If Jim Lee would have been like Lucas ............................... I shutter to the thought of all the good stories I would have missed out on and while I am not a Big Fan of all the Marvel Movies , I am still very happy they are there .

I seen you belittle Marvel in a earlier post , well Marvel has been around 3times longer than StarWars and most of us were not just stuck to StarWars , some of us needed more stories and novels that continued past that of a Selfish creator who refused to allow his own CREATION to grow past him without belittling what kept it alive .

Disney makes movies , while you might not like them they have been around longer than Lucas and have had a impact on more lives than StarWars .I liked Tron , sorry you didn't ! I liked the Pirates Series , sorry you didn't .................well the door is that way ------------------->

Personally I am happy for this transfer of ownership , it will mean a fresh new generation of movies and fans , plus a breathing series that will have fresh new stories and no longer the dreaded G-Canon that called EU trash..........I enjoyed the EU and was very happy that I could enjoy the Comics , Novels , and Games !

George Lucas will always be the Creator of StarWars and to be honest I wish he would have kept it but allowed it to grow under him without his constant input of how EU wasn't important . Some of the writers of EU were better than he was and have brought more to the StarWars Brand that he was , being he was constantly trying to be looked at as a Great Director / Writer / Studio President , that made use of some great ideas that we see in most films of today.

Alot of us know hes more than StarWars , only the crazies cannot look past it .

Whats that supposed to mean big guy?

Im not allowed to be passionate about something?

I think you and others like you will find you are in the minority when it comes to star wars fandom.

I think you will find out that you are in the Minority of StarWars Fans .

You see alot of us want a Living Growing Universe , not one that has a Owner Creator saying that all works/Stories before and after the movies don't count............................

Alot of us are finally getting what we been wanting for 35 years ...........MORE MOVIES , fresh and new !

But again a Majority of us do not live in the films , but we sure do love to visit often and even vacation in the EU for the summer ..........................

So what? The Thrawn books were sub-par and mediocre when they are arguably the best continuation of the post ROTJ-EU that has been written so far? Keep in mind I haven't read the X-Wing series yet, they don't have any in stock at my local book store, and tracking them down online is a royal pain in the ***. But really, looks look at the good book series and stand-alones for a moment that happened Post ROTJ.

The Thrawn Trilogy, The Jedi Academy Trilogy (Where Luke has to track down and establish an entirely new Jedi Order from scratch. I could do without Daala, to be honest, but the trilogy was enjoyable), The Hand of Thrawn Duology, Survivor's quest,The Dark Tide Duology (my absolute favorite Yuuzhan Vong book pair), The Edge of Victory Duology, and Star by Star (Arguably one of the saddest moments in the EU when Anakin dies. I cried.)

I haven't included the books past this since I haven't read them yet and I don't want to talk about them without a clear understanding of what they entail or of their writing style. It wouldn't be fair to say that I hated Dark Knight Rises when I haven't even really seen it yet. So I reserve judgement until I can read the books past the points in my list. And I realize that this is MY list, and some people may not agree with me. Hell, they may add Children of the Jedi or Darksaber to their "Must read" list, I'll disagree, but we'll leave it at that.

These books are all on my "Must Read" list, simply because the writing is gripping, the stories are very well thought out and written, and they are actually fun to read. They translate as awesome Post-ROTJ extensions and I don't see any reason to say that they don't deserve to expand on the Universe already established. The whole point of the Expanded Universe is to do exactly what it has been doing: Expand the Universe of Star Wars.

So I guess what I really want to ask is this: Why can we not want stories to continue on after ROTJ ends in the form of books? Why is it so wrong to enjoy what authors have been doing to the Universe we all love and want to learn more about? Personally, the movies didn't expand on anything as far as the Lore goes for me. The most expansion that we, the audience, are shown in the movies and even in the TV series, is the exploration of the Jedi Order and of the Force.

So again I ask: Why can we not enjoy the Post-ROTJ EU, which brings more life to the characters and helps Luke, Han and Leia continue their adventures when the actors could not? Why is it Mediocre? What makes it so horrible?

Edited by Scathe

I have always preferred EU workings to the films, the attention to detail and background is far greater than anything you can translate to screen.

^This. I hope that they are BSing about the whole "all new story" deal and go with something established in the Expanded Universe already. The Thrawn Trilogy would be a great choice. To say that the ExU doesn't put out good stories is like saying that George Lucas writes great dialogue. It's just not true.

People just don't get it. Anything that has been published is "canon". It all had to be signed off by the bearded one. So if it has been published, created, played on a console, viewed on Cartoon Central, it is considered canon in the Star Wars Universe. I personally have loved a lot of the books that have come out of the EU. Some of them p***** me off (re: the death of Mara Jade), but on the whole, they have some really talented writers that have written a lot of the books. My favorites were Timothy Zahn's. He was highly perturbed when they killed Mara Jade also. Not what he envisioned for her when he created her character. But on the whole, the EU books have given me over 20 years worth of reading. Some good, some not so good depending on the writer. Oh yeah, and to those who think that books are a lower art form than film making, get an imagination. I get more out of books than I do out of any movie. It is a shame that the younger generation has lost their imaginations. They are all for immediate gratification and what they can get out of a 2 hour movie. It's a shame. Writing is the ultimate art form. It takes a trully creative person to put into writing what they invision for others to read and get substance out of.

Reboot of Star Wars-No. Nail in the coffin of the EU-I don't think so. A new adventure in a galaxy far, far away-waiting with bated breath.

no cannon to lucas, is only the movies, everything else (games, books etc) are like an alternate universe, the true Cannon is only the movies and thats it.

Edited by xxIncubixx

no cannon to lucas, is only the movies, everything else (games, books etc) are like an alternate universe, the true Cannon is only the movies and thats it.

I'd post that whole levels of canon thing, but I'm pretty sure most on here have seen it enough. EU is canon, as has been argued too often. Lucas didn't give a damn about anything outside the movies, so he he put someone else in charge of the continuity. And anyway, guess who isn't running LucasFilm anymore?

Also, it's canon, not cannon.

I'd post that whole levels of canon thing, but I'm pretty sure most on here have seen it enough. EU is canon, as has been argued too often. Lucas didn't give a damn about anything outside the movies, so he he put someone else in charge of the continuity. And anyway, guess who isn't running LucasFilm anymore?

nah its not, he will never base his movie on something that was written by some random author, the true canon are the movies. You can choose to believe that rest is also canon but thats your choice. Fact is the new movies wont be based at all on the EU, and i even doubt there will be any mentions.

Edited by xxIncubixx

Honestly I have this problem with both the current post-rotj eu literature, and the proposed episodes VII-IX. It boils down to dilution. I love the classic trilogy with a firey burning passion, and I can accept the prequels as flawed as they are. However continuation into further dramatic galactic engulfing conflicts diminishes the emotional resolution I felt at the conclusion of VI. The prophecy had come full circle, Anakin Skywalker redeemed himself and finally destroyed the Sith, freedom was restored to the galaxy, Luke, Leia, Han et al lived happily ever after.....

Only they didn't in the EU: Emperor Palpatine flanged himself a ressurection, turned Luke to the darkside only to be redeemed by Leia at the eleventh hour in what was merely an inferior recycling of the whole story of his father. Someone goes on to invent the anti Jedi species with the yuuzhan vong, more wars, more death and more suffering. Han & Leia's kids aren't even spared it going on to fight suffer, fall and the whole Skywalker legacy go on to suffer yet more tragedy as they set about killing each other. Peace and resolution is never reached, It all just goes on and on ad nauseum. All the while just chipping away at that nice, cheerful and hopeful resolution we all got way back in 1983.

Now as damning as that all is I'm not against the EU. Star Wars is massively popular I get that, and when something is as massively popular someone is always going to want to sell you more of it. In addition there are some real gems in the EU body of books, shows and videogames. Heavens I wouldn't be here posting on an online game forum set in that universe if I didn't get a kick out of some elements. Doubtless some people disagree with me, and loved the Dark Empire comics or the yuuzhan vong invastion story arcs, and if you did more power to you. My above thoughts are nothing more than an opinion piece.

What gets me most is how divisive all this gets. People debate for hours and hours on points of continuity figuratively bashing themselves over the head over who knows more than who, as if it somehow proves who is the better star wars fan. Do you know what gets lost in all of this? The spirit of Star Wars, if they take the new episodes in a different direction so be it, and if that flies in the face of EU canon, that doesn't matter. If any of these stories have fired your imagination, then they have done thier job, and nobody can take that away from you. I'll watch these new films, hoping that they will fan that spark that they did when I was a kid, and perhaps more importantly ignite that spark in a whole new generation with tales of love, adventure and good vs evil. If they manage to do that I will be satisfied.

Star Wars may have "belonged" to George Lucas, and now to Disney. However the stories are ours, they belong to humanity. They are now a part of our collective unconscious and alway will be, and no one can own that. People talk a lot of continuity, but interestingly the emotional component is often alluded to, but never addressed. That lovely resolution of a story well told way back in RotJ, and the incredibly important emotional dimension it held for me has never been dampened, if something came along that "contradicted" that feeling it simply failed to resonate, and never joined the constellation of bright stars that burned in my mind of stories that I cherish. This has nothing to do with "facts" about the Star Wars universe or anything as pedestrian as "canon". I hope in time more people come to realize this, and allow Star Wars to inspire.

Exactly everything in the EU that hasn't been contradicted by the Movies or TCW is considered canon. There is over 20 years worth of post ROTJ EU material which equals alot of merchandising dollars. If Disney is smart, they will design these movies around the Post ROTJ EU material and make them coexist in one cohesive continuity. That way not only are the core fans who like the EU still happy but they also get to continue to reap the benefits of the money that the material brings in along with the opportunity to market that material to more people as a prelude to the new trilogy which can be connected to the Post ROTJ EU.

Just to answer some points some people have made....

This discussion isn't about whether books are better than films as an art medium. They have different strengths and weaknesses. However when one is adapted from the other, the new art form tends to be weaker. In other words, films of books tend to be inferior to books, and vice versa.

In the case of Star Wars, the reason it was so big was because it did something on the cinema screen that no other movie had done at that time. Audiences were wowed and captured by a new cinematic experience.

The books and spin offs comics that followed were not groundbreaking in any way because they were not produced by a visionary or creative genius the way the films were. They were mediocre books that would not appear on a single 'must read' list, unless you were a star wars fan starved of new star wars material.

The expanded universe is weak because of this. There is nothing unusual or remarkable about it.

I actually agree that the expanded universe is only going to expand as a result of the new films. New films means new spin offs.

But the inspiration, and what captures the imagination about Star Wars is what appears on the cinema screen, no one got into Star Wars from reading the books.

Again most simply aren't going to agree with you on this. No one is going to claim the Thrawn trilogy is up there with War and Peace in terms of literary excellence, but that was never the goal. The goal of everything that exists outside of the films was and is to tell more stories and expand upon this universe. You simply don't recognize your own biases. You're one of those SW fans who doesn't except anything outside of what appears on a movie screen. That's fine if that's the limit of your imagination, but it doesn't objectively mean that everything else is 'less than' the movies. Quite the contrary, while Lucas vision of this universe is certainly great and the overall story of the 6 movies decent, you can certainly argue that many of the EU stories, whether it be book, comic book or video game, have been told better than Lucas told the movies. A good scrip writer, Lucas is not as evidence by the fact that the two films considered the best by many are ones he didn't direct.

The EU is not some half *** version or piggybacking on of the movies. Lucas created a UNIVERSE and time didn't start at The Phantom Menace and end at Return of the Jedi in that uinverse. The EU exists because at least some people had the imaginination to wonder what happened before after and inbetween what occurs on the films. Is it all Shakespeare? No. But it is certainly not unnatural for people to want to know what else goes on and happened in this universe and it certainly is some bastardization of the films for someone other than Lucas to tell those stories. Again I point out to you, you are posting on a message board that would not be here if not extended universe were allowed or desired to exist by Lucas.

Edited by LordHartigan

Also not true. While not everything outside of the moveis is canon, Lucas has signed off on things outside of the movies as being Canon. The Force Unleashed video game, for example, is considered canon.

Honestly I have this problem with both the current post-rotj eu literature, and the proposed episodes VII-IX. It boils down to dilution. I love the classic trilogy with a firey burning passion, and I can accept the prequels as flawed as they are. However continuation into further dramatic galactic engulfing conflicts diminishes the emotional resolution I felt at the conclusion of VI. The prophecy had come full circle, Anakin Skywalker redeemed himself and finally destroyed the Sith, freedom was restored to the galaxy, Luke, Leia, Han et al lived happily ever after.....

This concerns me too that the new trilogy just won't have that same depth, but I would propose you consider this as possibility. See I disagree that by the end of VI everything had come full circle. While Palpatine masterminded it, Anakin/Vader was in large part responsible for the destruction of the jedi order. To me full circle, would be a restablishment of the jedi order. Luke rebuilding what his father destroyed would be coming full circle in my mind and I think that could make for some good movies. Luke starting an academy on Tython, Taris or Yavin IV. Luke being the head of the jedi council on Coruscant. The trials and tribulations of building the order but ultimatley having it restored to its former glory by the end of IX I think could be pretty good on the big screen.

nah its not, he will never base his movie on something that was written by some random author, the true canon are the movies.

We haven't been given confirmation on the writer yet, at least not that I'm aware. True canon, sure, but not they aren't the only part of Star Wars canon.

Fact is the new movies wont be based at all on the EU, and i even doubt there will be any mentions.

The PT movies had references to EU, so I see no reason the next trilogy won't.

Exactly everything in the EU that hasn't been contradicted by the Movies or TCW is considered canon. There is over 20 years worth of post ROTJ EU material which equals alot of merchandising dollars. If Disney is smart, they will design these movies around the Post ROTJ EU material and make them coexist in one cohesive continuity. That way not only are the core fans who like the EU still happy but they also get to continue to reap the benefits of the money that the material brings in along with the opportunity to market that material to more people as a prelude to the new trilogy which can be connected to the Post ROTJ EU.

I agree with this, and don't really see any reason why this won't be the case. It's not like they're replacing all the LucasFilm staff, the only real changes are the fact that Disney now gets money from the Star Wars universe, and George Lucas has retired. I really don't expect that they'll just ignore all that's been done.

I agree with this, and don't really see any reason why this won't be the case. It's not like they're replacing all the LucasFilm staff, the only real changes are the fact that Disney now gets money from the Star Wars universe, and George Lucas has retired. I really don't expect that they'll just ignore all that's been done.

I don't think they will be that concerned with complying with the EU in the new trilogy. What us fanboys forget when it comes to things like this is that we're a pretty small group of people and when a company makes a movie they want to be able to make money on it which means appealing to audience bigger than just us fanboys. It means appealing to audience we are a mere fraction of. Working on coforming to EU continuity just so it works for that fraction is not going to be a high priority. Continuity will be sacraficed in the name of appealing to as many people as possible if necessary.

I don't think they will be that concerned with complying with the EU in the new trilogy. What us fanboys forget when it comes to things like this is that we're a pretty small group of people and when a company makes a movie they want to be able to make money on it which means appealing to audience bigger than just us fanboys. It means appealing to audience we are a mere fraction of. Working on coforming to EU continuity just so it works for that fraction is not going to be a high priority. Continuity will be sacraficed in the name of appealing to as many people as possible if necessary.

Although if they do follow EU, they'll gain that audience and get the potential praise and approval of the fans. I'm hoping they see it this way, at least. I would expect they'd have someone like Leland Chee giving advice during the writing of the movie, and he's well aware of the EU events.

I never said they should make it how I would like it done. Love him or hate him, it should be done how george wants it done, and if hes too old and crotchety it shouldnt get done. Period.

Disney is going to repaint the mona lisa, of course people are up in arms you freaking melvin.

lol melvin, you're funny :D

why so serious? :w_evil:

Although if they do follow EU, they'll gain that audience and get the potential praise and approval of the fans. I'm hoping they see it this way, at least. I would expect they'd have someone like Leland Chee giving advice during the writing of the movie, and he's well aware of the EU events.

I'm hopeful/expecting at least some easter eggs. They could certainly show Thrawn in the background or give him a line or two reporting to someone. Other characters we'd want to see more screen time like Mara Jade and I'm not sure that will happen which is a bummer cause there's certainly lot's of potential there.

Most likely EU will become the STANDARD and the films will be put in the back when it comes to Canon , like how it is for DC and Marvel .

To be honest , it might not happen today or anyday soon but it won't be long before Marvel takes over the Comic side of EU .

I really Doubt Disney is going to outsource EU Comics to another Company when they own one of the Two Comic Power Houses ...........Marvel ! This does not mean Marvel will do it better or worse , that will be yet to be seen . I think Darkhorse did a good Job in my opinion !

So its not a coffin , but it might be a rewrite of the EU Lore and Story.

As I said before , Luke being married to Mara Jade is likely now the TOP Canon now ! To be honest this is the reason I am happy Lucas is out the way , now the series can grow and G-Canon will no longer stop it !

But thats not gonna happen is it. Marvel started off as a comic, so the comics take precedent. Star Wars started off as a movie, so the movies are going to take precedent. Most likely this will become G-Canon, he isn't entirely out of the picture and never will be. What it will do is open up new avenues for EU, which is a good thing - if anything it will breath new life into the period of EU which doesn't really have any foundations apart from the Original trilogy, it will also tidy it up a bit, which some people may not like.