"does not exist" when adding to friends list.

AceMcNabbers

My buddy, who got me into the game, gave me a list of his toons. I started a character on the same server, same side, and tried to add them to my friends list. Some of them added, some of them wouldn't, and I got the message "<name> does not exist." I thought maybe I didn't get some spelling or punctuation right, and let it pass.

Yesterday, he created a new character, and we played together for quite a while, and I added it to my friends list. Today, I created a new bounty hunter, and on this toon, I tried to add the name of the character he was playing yesterday to my friends list. It said the character didn't exist. I logged back into my other toon from yesterday, and it's on my friends list no problem.

Anyone know what's up with that? I need to be able to add my friends when they're offline so when they come online, I can see them. But the game doesn't always seem to know they exist when they're not logged on.

Sounds like your friend is using special characters in his name. When people do this with their names it makes it so you really cannot put them on your friends list unless you click on their name when you are playing with them and add them that way. It is rather difficult to type it in the next day.

Well, first off, he only has one toon with special characters in it, and I know that it happens to be an apostrophe. So that's not the issue.

The weird thing about them having to be online, is that SOME of the toons of his I try to add, it lets me add even if they're offline, and some it doesn't, and the really annoying thing is, I need to be able to add them when he's offline. How else am I going to know when he comes online?

Well, first off, he only has one toon with special characters in it, and I know that it happens to be an apostrophe. So that's not the issue.

The weird thing about them having to be online, is that SOME of the toons of his I try to add, it lets me add even if they're offline, and some it doesn't, and the really annoying thing is, I need to be able to add them when he's offline. How else am I going to know when he comes online?

I understand completely and that was my exact thought process on it.

The friend you are trying to add has to be online on the toon your trying to add. You can not add offline friends for some reason.

I actually reported that as a bug. You should be able to add an offline friend -- especially your own alts. Why would you want to add your alts to /friends? When addressing composed mail, your /friends list is used so it is less likely you will mis-address something.

I actually reported that as a bug. You should be able to add an offline friend -- especially your own alts. Why would you want to add your alts to /friends? When addressing composed mail, your /friends list is used so it is less likely you will mis-address something.

Oh rly? I thought it was a bit weird that I had to type out the names of all my alts. Even more weird if I have to add them manually to a "friends list" to get that functionality. But good to know that the functionality exists. This too is a bug IMO; alts should be automatically added to a "hidden" friends list for mail composing purposes.

And I've seen the "Character does not exist" too. Also, I added someone to my friends list, had them on the list for a while, then they got deleted from friends list (not by me) and I can't add them again (character does not exist) even though it's a guild leader so I know the toon hasn't been deleted.

Edited by Deslan

I hate this bug, of all the things their fixing like loot range and abilitiy to mod items, they ignore this bug which is a HUGE one. I aquire items on my sniper and want to give them to my inquisitor but I cant beacsue I need to be online with 2 people on 1 computer. FIX IT!!!

I hate this bug, of all the things their fixing like loot range and abilitiy to mod items, they ignore this bug which is a HUGE one. I aquire items on my sniper and want to give them to my inquisitor but I cant beacsue I need to be online with 2 people on 1 computer. FIX IT!!!

What???

You don't need to be online to mail items to other accounts. If you want to give something to your alt just stick them in the mail. They will get them instantly.

The only bug is that you can't add them as friends unless they are online, and I don't consider this a supper high priority, there are much bigger things to fix first.

I've run across this bug as well, and unfortunately the only work-around I've found (as others have mentioned) is making sure the other player is online.

As for adding alts to your list, I assume it's for the mailbox to autofill the name when sending gear and credits to your alts? If they're in the same guild as the character you are on, the autofill still works. If they're not in the same guild ... I hope you can remember how to spell your alt's names, because you'll be typing them in.

It'll get fixed. Annoying, I agree, but not something I personally see as a game-altering bug.

Actually, that apostrophe can be a killer. I can currently add all of my alts on one server into each other's friends list, except for the one name that has an apostrophe. That one cannot be added to any of my other alts. (Nor could I send mail to him until a recent patch. Items or not, it all just vanished into space.)

I was able to add all my alts to my friends list, obviously while they were offline, except one. My guess is that it is because the name is only three characters long.

Actually, that apostrophe can be a killer. I can currently add all of my alts on one server into each other's friends list, except for the one name that has an apostrophe. That one cannot be added to any of my other alts. (Nor could I send mail to him until a recent patch. Items or not, it all just vanished into space.)

Actually, yes this seems true. I have had this bug my self now and the bug was only pressent when toon name was as stated by thise players :D

I've been able to ad some people and some of my alts, and not others.

A friend had problems adding my main when I was offline, I could ad her on my main when she was offline but couldn't ad her on my alt when she was ofline, none of my alts were able to ad my main except for one. Neither names had special characters.

It's pretty much a shot in the dark if it'll work or not with someone that's offline

My experiences have been that toons that were created just to reserve a name and haven't started leveling, they could be added to friends while offline. If the toon has been leveling, then it couldn't be added to friends. This held true for my alts and friends toons. I don't know at what point they become bugged, first quest, first level, changing planets?

Still no fix for this?

Has anything official been said about this bug being fixed?

Must admit, its a bit of a drag not being able to add your mates to a "social" game!

i have added ticket about it and got the standard standard official answer. cant see any official statements about it tho