Really torn on class/faction because I'm indecisive and silly, could use some advice

sutasafaia

Yes, getting that out there in the open in the title, I am incredibly indecisive and have problems with stuff like this. It's stupid, I'm blowing it out of proportion, I'm aware of that, I make myself crazy. Now that that's out of the way...

This is likely going to be a slightly convoluted train of thought, I apologize, I'm typing it as I go to hopefully avoid missing something.

I am currently playing and enjoying both the Marksman Sniper and Lightning Sorcerer. Yea, low dps, I know, but I enjoy them. Part of the problem I'm starting to have is that the farther I get into the game (I'm in KotFE for sniper, only just finishing sorc story) is that I seem to be starting to lean more towards my sniper. The problem with this is that it's very obvious the story will be more interesting (to me anyway) with my sorcerer. The agent is starting to feel a little bit out of place surrounded by all these demigods and with the various story points that I won't spoil but you know if you've been there what I mean.

You might just think I should play both, and I will play both, but I'm starting to get to the point where I want to really begin some grinding. Rep grind and command point grinding in particular are something I would like to start to work on, and while rep grinding can be done on multiple characters (which is amazing) the command point grinding is really better done on one first so you can get the account wide buff for hitting 300 in legacy.

The agent seems a bit easier to play than the sorc, it's mostly just putting down their 4.5s AoE (vs the sorcs 3.0s AoE) and cleaning up whatevers left afterwards. Even their single target rotation seems easier, although that might just be because I've played agent more and am more used to it. So this seems like agent would be the obvious choice for me, but in wanting to focus on one character, picking the right one has me hesitating badly.

Most importantly, I suppose a good key point would be trying to figure out which is the better grinder, but they both play similarly and I'm not experienced enough to be able to say for sure one way or the other. It seems to currently be coming down to sniper > sorc for gameplay, but sorc > sniper for story, and you would think gameplay > story since I have to play the character longterm, but...it's just not clicking for some reason.

The fact I like to roleplay on the force user far more than the agentsmuggler is also giving me pause. Obviously I don't have to actually play the force user to roleplay with it, but it would be really nice if my main for gameplay was also my main rp character. Again, silly, but it causes indecision on my part.

Of course faction is even better issue. I like the agent more than the smuggler, that ones pretty easy. But as far as sorc or consular go, it's much harder. Not because of in-game story in this case, but because of rp again. A light side, semi-pacifist sorc makes no sense and would likely get murdered unless they were already strong enough to either be ignored by other sith since they aren't an important target or overpower any of them that tried to attack them...which to me falls into godmoding territory. On the flip side, a light side semi-oacifist consular is...normal. Nothing stands out about that at all really.

Back and forth again, empire rp tends to be rough, sneaky, backstabby, lots of powerplays, and holy cow are there a ton of people with power boners. You don't even need lightsabers with all the ***** being waved around trying to show off whose is bigger. That said, it's more accepted to be a good (and I use the term loosely) sith than it is to be a jedi that doesn't follow the code to the letter. Sith code is more of a guideline, which I think is an actual quote from the game, not sure. On the other hand, pub side tends to be far friendlier, way easier to get into roleplaying, more accepting of new players, but the rps can be a bit on the dryer side also. There generally isn't as much happening. Jedi RP tends to be a lot of standing around and teaching lessons, maybe a bit of exploring, some diplomacy. Now I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just...dunno.

As you can see I'm a bit of a jumbled mess, part of the point of this post was just to air it all out and see if I could find any rhyme or reason in there. Failing that, I could definitely use some help. Thanks for the help. Heck, thanks if you even bothered to read the whole thing but can't think of any advice :p

tldr: MM Sniper or Lightning Sorc, I guess, although that may be a little bit too tldr :p

If we are being honest, the end game in SWTOR is not that great; you've hit the nail: it's a LONG grind. Now if you enjoy grinding, more power to you. But reading between the lines a little, you are not terribly enthralled with either sorc or sniper...if you were you would know which you really wanted to play for the long haul. Therefore my advice would be play more class stories. Maybe another class will enthrall you to say, "THIS is the one I want to be my main character"

Regarding LS sorc, I just played through an LS sorc. The sorcerer backstory is that you are a slave who is force sensitive and are thrust into the Korriban Academy; you are expected to die. With that in mind, it is not that hard to make a lot of LS choices: she's timid, wanting to please "superiors," just wants to do the job she's been assigned, she has no malice (because it's been beaten out of her). Furthermore, many LS choices as an imperial are not so much "goody goody" as they "putting the good of the Empire ahead of personal desires and/or kill everyone and everything in my path because I can."

Thanks for the advice. One thing though, I actually am very much enjoying both classes. The problem is that I only really want to do the grind on one of them, not both (for now) for obvious reasons. Like you said, very long grind. I'm just having a terrible time choosing between them.

It will be hard to determine what YOU want from any other person's opinion. However, i find force classes to me much more enjoyable throughout the content. Lightning sorcerer i still main, so that would be my choice. Like you said, agent/smuggler etc start to feel out of place after a certain point.

I may give madness a try, see how that feels. My big problem with lightning is the random procs and basically playing whack-a-mole with the glowing buttons. Maybe madness will feel better? And it still has good aoe (I love AoE). The whole dot dot then AoE to spread dot seems like a PITA for buildup though. Maybe see if I can get into lightning again...assuming I don't stick with sniper...assuming I don't go pub instead... /sigh Edited by sutasafaia

• 2 weeks later...

Grinding by definition is not fun :) That in mind I would go with something that allow you to do it as fast as possible. In your case Sorc sounds as a winner.

But I am a bit surprised Sniper is not a high dps class... Did not play one for a long time, guess, I missed many changes.

I may give madness a try, see how that feels. My big problem with lightning is the random procs and basically playing whack-a-mole with the glowing buttons. Maybe madness will feel better? And it still has good aoe (I love AoE). The whole dot dot then AoE to spread dot seems like a PITA for buildup though. Maybe see if I can get into lightning again...assuming I don't stick with sniper...assuming I don't go pub instead... /sigh

If you like aoe dot spread and don't mind melee play a vigi guardian/veng jugg. It's aoe is .massive and incredibly easy.

Seriously if I can dps on a vigi guardian a trained monkey could. I don't dps.

This is a sickness really. And i too suffer from it.

But for me, at this moment is which 2 classes i want to play Juggernaut and Sentinel or Marauder and Guardian.

Just today i deleted my last Jugg, in a long series of mains cus apparently after 30 days of in-game time,again, i decided that i want the Guardian. Used the name of my Jugg to name the mara. Also i have never played a rep so finally i get to do it. I hope it sticks this time.

In my head i constantly juggled between animations, and which do i like more. Do i like the running animation of the guardian? Do i like the dot spread animation more. Do i like the Annihilate and Massacre animation more, compared to the sent counterpart. + a billion other things about story, general vibe or character and which fits more story wise, 1 saber or 2 sabers.

I have deleted this way 3 maras and 4 juggs. All of them had around 30 days of playtime. I have played the Sith Warrior story to completion too many times. And now it will be even more painful because of the way we gear up characters.

I've never finished kotet, and just recently finally finished kotfe, with the now deleted Jugg. (most of my time is spent in PvP)

Not to mention the endless fully geared PTs, Mercs and Operatives, which are long deleted now. Might still be a merc today, if they didn't ruin the class after the major buff, but that is a different topic.

Not sure why i am like this in SWTOR. In other mmos, i pick a class and stick with it forever.

Edited by Kaedusz