Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Shadow vs. Assassin?

HanBroIo
11.01.2017 , 03:32 AM | #1
Hey I'm new to the game but love star wars so got premium and with it a character boost, I know most people say don't use ot play the story but I have a few characters a good way in, so I'm not worried about that. I just really want to start swinging a double bladed saber around! So if any body could tell me which is better for Knights of Fallen Empire start that would be great. I'm looking for best dps, companions, armor, etc.

HanBroIo
11.01.2017 , 03:41 AM | #2
Probably also worth mentioning that I am a solo player

Greezt
11.01.2017 , 03:59 AM | #3
They are mirrors and exactly the same.

You don't need to worry about DPS too much as a solo player, but Serenity/Hatred > Infiltration/Deception in DPS, while the latter are better in burst damage and short encounters.

nyrkverse
11.01.2017 , 04:04 AM | #4
shadow and assassin are mirrors of each other so the only difference gameplay wise is in the animations. the abilities and disciplines work exactly the same. assassins have lighting and life leeching based powers, shadows' powers are based on telekinesis but these differences are purely aesthetic.

story wise, if you start from KotFE it doesn't make any difference which class you are: the story is the same, the new companions are the same. There is some minor "flavor" every now and then in the dialogue for the different backgrounds or starting factions but it doesn't change anything substantially.

As for the original class companions you won't have access to their original dialogue and story if you start from KotFE so even there the differences become minor. During the course of KotFE and KotET inquisitors (assassin/sorcerer) have meet again 2 of them so far but it happens outside of the main story in the form of the alliance alert. Only one of the consular original companions has showed up so far, again as an alert. More of them should be returning in the future but no ETA so far (afaik).

so the differences between shadow and assassin come in their original class story and previous expansions content (makeb has 2 different questlines depending on faction and shadow of revan has one class mission and some minor faction flavor in a questline that's otherwise pretty much identical for both).
«I'm not cute. I'm deadly»

HanBroIo
11.01.2017 , 05:24 AM | #5
Thanks!! I decided on shadow although it seemed like I missed a lot in story so I decided to start from level 1

cool-dude
11.07.2017 , 07:41 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by HanBroIo View Post
Hey I'm new to the game but love star wars so got premium and with it a character boost, I know most people say don't use ot play the story but I have a few characters a good way in, so I'm not worried about that. I just really want to start swinging a double bladed saber around! So if any body could tell me which is better for Knights of Fallen Empire start that would be great. I'm looking for best dps, companions, armor, etc.
Shadow and Sin are the same thing.
I'm a cool dude

SteveTheCynic
11.07.2017 , 08:33 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by cool-dude View Post
Shadow and Sin are the same thing.
Pity nobody thought to point that out before now.

Well, nobody except the first "true" reply;
Quote: Originally Posted by Greezt View Post
They are mirrors and exactly the same.

You don't need to worry about DPS too much as a solo player, but Serenity/Hatred > Infiltration/Deception in DPS, while the latter are better in burst damage and short encounters.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

JLazarillo
11.08.2017 , 10:02 PM | #8
IMO, Assassin has better animations, for what it's worth. Although Infiltration/Deception looks super silly for both mirrors (but sillier still on Shadows).