Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

If i could change the consular class.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
If i could change the consular class.

Masakijoe's Avatar


Masakijoe
10.27.2017 , 10:31 PM | #1
One of the first things I would change about consular class I would remove the shadow class from it. The shadow class just does not fit the consular. Lore wise the shadow is a sub class of the sentinel. I am not sure why the original devs put the shadow with the consular. Maybe there was not enough time or money to create three force user stories.

That said, the consular should have been a healer and range damage. Jedi sage and Jedi healer (Jedi seer) to be more exact. Or if they wanted three skill trees then they could have gone with a Jedi sage, Jedi mystic ( range damage and healing), and Jedi healer or Seer. In one sense, this class should have be similar to the WOW priest.

SteveTheCynic's Avatar


SteveTheCynic
10.28.2017 , 07:35 AM | #2
My take on it is this:
* The Consular (based on its name and the story) is a diplomat. I don't think anyone would dispute that.
* The Sage is a diplomat who acts "above the line" or "in the open".
* The Shadow is a diplomat who acts "below the line" or "in the shadows" (pun very much intended).

Alternatively, when it comes to a fight:
* The Sage, again, acts in the open.
* The Shadow strikes from the shadows.

More interesting is how you reconcile "Inquisitor" and "Assassin", but even there the distinction between "in the open" and "in/from the shadows" works for me.

But the "out of game" lore shouldn't be taken as anything more than an environment, and certainly shouldn't be used as an explicit basis for class distinctions, aside from Imp/Pub and FU/NFU.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

AlrikFassbauer's Avatar


AlrikFassbauer
10.28.2017 , 10:49 AM | #3
I'd channge a lot of animations which are just there right now to make the Sage look weak. Aka "throwing pebbels".
Complex minds
Cope with
Complex problems.

Masakijoe's Avatar


Masakijoe
10.29.2017 , 09:40 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
My take on it is this:
* The Consular (based on its name and the story) is a diplomat. I don't think anyone would dispute that.
* The Sage is a diplomat who acts "above the line" or "in the open".
* The Shadow is a diplomat who acts "below the line" or "in the shadows" (pun very much intended).

Alternatively, when it comes to a fight:
* The Sage, again, acts in the open.
* The Shadow strikes from the shadows.

More interesting is how you reconcile "Inquisitor" and "Assassin", but even there the distinction between "in the open" and "in/from the shadows" works for me.

But the "out of game" lore shouldn't be taken as anything more than an environment, and certainly shouldn't be used as an explicit basis for class distinctions, aside from Imp/Pub and FU/NFU.
The sub classes are play styles not story arcs. Regardless if you are shadow or the sage you are just playing the consular's story. What you say would be true if sage and shadow had different story arcs or at least had different options when responding to npc's.

SteveTheCynic's Avatar


SteveTheCynic
10.30.2017 , 03:16 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Masakijoe View Post
The sub classes are play styles not story arcs. Regardless if you are shadow or the sage you are just playing the consular's story. What you say would be true if sage and shadow had different story arcs or at least had different options when responding to npc's.
"play style" ===> what I said about fighting, striking openly or from the shadows.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

supertimtaf's Avatar


supertimtaf
10.30.2017 , 03:21 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
Aka "throwing pebbels".
And here I always thought those where big Skittles
Eliadil - Darkness Assassin Darth Malgus

Feel free to use my referal link if you liked my help ! Free stuff for you and me !

AlrikFassbauer's Avatar


AlrikFassbauer
10.30.2017 , 07:45 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by supertimtaf View Post
And here I always thought those where big Skittles
LOL !

Nah, the term "throwing pebbles" isn't even from me, I think. It has been there for a very long time.

Only that nowadays no-one uses it anymore, simply because there'll never change a thing.
Complex minds
Cope with
Complex problems.

TalonVII's Avatar


TalonVII
10.30.2017 , 08:40 AM | #8
Shadow/assassin is fine. Here's my change:
Get rid of madness/balanced on sage/sorc and give us a Dooku styled duelist. Instead of all pf the area attacks that lightning/telekinesis uses the dueling discipline focuses on single target attacks.

For the Sorc you get form 2, Sage gets form 6. Both disciplines get a few saber attacks, probably some kind of thrusting attack and a sweeping attack. And one of their abilities is where quake/lightning storm gets focused on a single target instead of a group.

That's the base of what I would change. I want a Dooku styled fender.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

orangenee's Avatar


orangenee
10.30.2017 , 09:23 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
I'd channge a lot of animations which are just there right now to make the Sage look weak. Aka "throwing pebbels".
This.

Let's look at it's counterpart, the sorcerer. Lots and lots of flashy stuff going on there. Lightning, swirly stuff.

Consular, basically invisible stuff or throwing a bucket of gravel at people. Maybe add pulling down an entire fleet down onto the enemy or something, just make it interesting.
SWTOR Referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/Kqsyhb #FreeMalgus #MarrReborn

Masakijoe's Avatar


Masakijoe
10.30.2017 , 10:25 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by orangenee View Post
This.

Let's look at it's counterpart, the sorcerer. Lots and lots of flashy stuff going on there. Lightning, swirly stuff.

Consular, basically invisible stuff or throwing a bucket of gravel at people. Maybe add pulling down an entire fleet down onto the enemy or something, just make it interesting.
The skill I think was suppose to be debris I guess. What they should do is base the skill on the environment. For instance, if you are on Hoth you are throwing ice shards. I played the game while it was in beta and off and on post launch, I truly believe the consular was the hardest class to design because there was no example of a jedi dpsing with the force other than force push. It was like the last class to get a showcase before launch. Hell I remember when Bioware called the sage Jedi Wizard. lol