PVE AoE Sniper: The Explosive Engineer [Video]

paowee

The Explosive Engineer

2.0 Full Engineering

AoE Sniper

Independent Anarchist

2.0 Full Saboteur

AoE Slinger

GOOGLE GUIDE (11 slides) https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/11l_KM33L96QRQrJ9DsOQg3pajyXQ0AdKTkJC6QL7ixA/pub?start=false&loop=false&delayms=3000#slide=id.gee3b8a9d_0161

Sniper and Gunslinger mirror abilities

Sniper

1. Series of Shots
  2. Ambush
  3. Snipe
  4. Explosive Probe
  5. Corrosive Dart

Defensive & Energy

Shield Probe

Evasion

Covered Escape

Ballistic Shield

Adrenaline Probe

Offensive

Target Acquired

Laze Target

Marksman

Sniper Volley

Followthrough

Lethality

Corrosive Grenade

Weakening Blast

Cull

Engineering

Interrogation Probe

Plasma Probe

Gunslinger

1. Speed Shot
  2. Aimed Shot
  3. Charged Burst
  4. Sabotage Charge
  5. Vital Shot

Defensive & Energy

Defense Screen

Dodge

Covered Escape

Scrambling Field

Cool Head

Offensive

Illegal Mods

Smuggler's Luck

Sharpshooter

Burst Volley

Trickshot

Dirty Fighting

Shrap Bomb

Hemorrhaging Blast

Wounding Shots

Saboteur

Shock Charge

Incendiary Grenade

Others guides:

Sniper

Marksmanship - http://swtorboard.org/2013/10/11/swtor-sniper-dps-guide/#1

Lethality - http://swtorboard.org/2013/10/11/swtor-sniper-dps-guide/#2

Engineering - http://swtorboard.org/2013/10/11/swtor-sniper-dps-guide/#3

Gunslinger

Sharpshooter - http://swtorboard.org/2013/10/09/swtor-gunslinger-dps-guide/#1

Dirty Fighting - http://swtorboard.org/2013/10/09/swtor-gunslinger-dps-guide/#2

Saboteur - http://swtorboard.org/2013/10/09/swtor-gunslinger-dps-guide/#3

Shameless bump. Some updates

1. 2.6 Sniper DPS Guide by B'oarder
  2. 2.6 Gunslinger DPS Guide by B'oarder
  3. Abridged Engineering
  4. Abridged Saboteur

specifically on the dot spec. Updated MM/SS but it is far from 'optimal' yet as we are still waiting on new top parses from the dps leaderboards.

Edited by paowee

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abridged version:

by B'oarder

Detailed write-up over at enjin.com

VIDEOS:

DISCLAIMER: BioWare does not endorse playing one particular spec or play style over another. There are many ways to play the Sniper advanced class and this write-up is only here to serve as a guide for those wanting to try out the Engineering tree. Engineering is centered around skills and talents that make you a strong area effect class. Scatter Bombs will be your hardest hitting ability and is the key to doing competitive DPS. Hopefully after reading this guide I have given you an idea on how this tree works. The main write-up is on my guild's website but feel free to leave posts and comments in this thread.

FURTHER READING:

Spec:

with Ambush [some reading here]

7/36/3 - Sniper

7/36/3 - Gunslinger

without Ambush

5/36/5 - Sniper

5/36/5 - Gunslinger

Scatter Bombs behavior:

When you hit Covered Escape there is a small gap between your jumping point and where your first bomb will drop. After the initial jump the bombs will drop more evenly throughout what's left of the 18-m roll.

END - X - X - X - X - X ---- START

Engineering is dependent on 5 Scatter Bombs to do top dps. You can do this on medium to large bosses by rollin throughh them and drop bombs in a trail behind you.

STATS AND GEAR

My stats:

Damage (Pri): 1721 - 1872

Crit chance (52 rating): 23.98%

Ranged accuracy (427 rating) : 99.91%

Crit multiplier (395): 71.08%

Relics: UW BA / UW SA

Set bonus: 2-pc PVE / 2-pc PVP

Crit rating:

Engineers and Saboteurs have access to Experimental Explosives and Arsonist, a 2-pt talent that increases the critical strike damage of area effects by 30%. This makes critical rating quite an important stat since Plasma Probe, Orbital Strike and Scatter Bombs are all area effects and will comprise up to 40% of your total damage done. Contrary to Marksmanship, where the popular build is going 0 Crit and Pure Power, I believe crit warrants at least some points as Engineering. Here are some sample parses for your perusal.

All 5 min 12 sec parses:

0 Crit aka Pure Power build *using UW BA + Ark Int dmg proc relics

3200 DPS [link]

3275 DPS [link]

150 Crit build *using Conq + Partisan SA relics

3393 DPS [link]

270 Crit build *using Conq + Partisan SA relics

3322 DPS [link]

Gear:

Armoring:

• Skill

Mods:

• Keen - Crit
  • Artful - Power

Enhancements:

• Battle - Crit / Surge
  • Adept - Power / Surge
  • Acute - Crit / Acc
  • Initiative - Power / Acc
  • Proficient - Power / Acc (should be replaced with Initiative asap)

2 Implants and 1 Earpiece:

• Crit / Surge
  • Power / Surge
  • Crit / Acc
  • Power / Acc

Recommended for implants and earpiece:

• Power / Acc
  • Power / Surge

- Get 6 pieces of Accuracy gear (implants and earpiece counts toward this number)

- Get 4 pieces of Surge gear (implants and earpiece counts toward this number)

- Get Keen mods until you reach your desired number of critical rating (crystals will count towards this number)

- Get Artful mods

- Use Cunning augments

- Use unlettered armorings, mods and enhancements

- Item database http://www.swtor.askmrrobot.com/gear

Set bonus:

4-pc PVE for easier energy management

(2) Reduces the cooldown of Target Acquired or Illegal Mods by 15 seconds, and activating either ability restores 15 energy.

(4) Reduces the energy cost of Takedown and Quickdraw by 7.

2-pc PVE and 2-pc PVP for more DPS

(2) Reduces the cooldown of Target Acquired or Illegal Mods by 15 seconds, and activating either ability restores 15 energy.

(2) Increases the duration of Orbital Strike or XS Freighter Flyby by 3 seconds.

Relics:

Power clicky and Power proc

Boundless Ages [link]

Serendipitous Assault [link]

Power proc and Power proc - Nerfed

Partisan Relic of Serendipitous Assault [link] - 550 Regular WZ comms

Conqueror Relic of Serendipitous Assault [link] - 1425 Ranked WZ comms & 200 Regular WZ comms

VISUAL AIDES

Table of abilities:

Short description and mirror class terminologies

Single target rotation:

2-minute tutorial

Priority list - Single Target:

New Priority List: http://i.imgur.com/MTdDOHl.jpg

• An armor pen debuff must be up at all times.
  • Ideally you want to pop TA then do CE (which is especially nice when you have CE / EMP / CE combo available)
  • You want your DoTs ticking before you cast SoS.
  • Ideally you want your DoTs up and SoS on cooldown while you cast OS.
  • Execute ability does not do a lot of damage and I would put it just below Ambush.

1. Shatter Shot Flourish Shot
  2. Covered Escape Hightail It
  3. EMP Sabotage
    ---------------------------
  4. Plasma Probe Incendiary Grenade
  5. Interrogation Probe Shock Charge
  6. Corrosive Dart Vital Shot
    ----------------------------
  7. Explosive Probe Sabotage Charge
  8. Series of Shots Speed Shot
    ---------------------------
  9. Orbital Strike* Flyby*
  10. Electrified Railgun x3 Blazing Speed x3
  11. Ambush Aimed Shot
  12. Takedown Quickdraw
  13. Snipe* Charged Burst*
  14. Overload Shot Quick Shot

Asterisks* certain abilities (OS/Snipe and Flyby/CB) because their usage will vary a lot depending on the circumstances.

NOTE: The only reason why I put Orbital Flyby so low is because ideally you want all your dots to be up and ticking throughout the duration of its cast. The ideal scenario is to have all your dots refreshed, have SoS Speed Shot on cooldown (EP/SaboC and Ambush/AS if you can as well) and THEN immediately cast Orbital Flyby as soon as it comes off cooldown.

Priority list - AoE:

1. Orbital Strike XS Freighter Flyby
  2. Covered Escape Hightail It
  3. Plasma Probe Incendiary Grenade
  4. Fragmentation Grenade Thermal Grenade

MAX DPS Opener:

Example A. http://i.imgur.com/1jhad8O.jpg

Example B. See below

1. Orbital Strike XS Freighter Flyby
  2. Ambush Aimed Shot
  3. If applicable pop relic and attack adrenal
  4. Plasma Probe Incendiary Grenade running into melee range
  5. Interrogation Probe Shock Charge running into melee range
  6. Corrosive Dart Vital Shot running into melee range
  7. Shatter Shot Flourish Shot
  8. Target Acquired Illegal Mods
  9. Covered Escape Hightail It
  10. Explosive Probe Sabotage Charge
  11. EMP Discharge Sabotage
  12. Covered Escape Hightail It
  13. Series of Shots Speed Shot
  14. Laze Target Smuggler's Luck
  15. Snipe* Charged Burst*
  16. Snipe* Charged Burst*
  17. Snipe* Charged Burst*
  18. Adrenaline Probe Cool Head
  19. Overload Shot Quick Shot when repositioning to maintain 3x Electrified Railgun Blazing Speed stacks
  20. Priority List - Single Target

Player Contributions:

Roll-in-place

from BetaKiller

Demonstration

The way to achieve this is the similar to how operatives can extend their roll distance by jumping right after the roll or right before the end of it. However for this you want to use Covered Escape and jump almost at the exact same time. I have tested this easily with a friend while dueling, dropping all bombs at my location near him and damaging him.

On your screen (your client) you will see your character roll in mid-air and dropping into cover. While everyone else will see you roll forward and instantly going back to your original position.

Notes:

• If you jump too late you might either just roll forward or start the mid-air roll but still hit the floor rolling and thus moving you forward
  • If you press jump too soon your character will jump and you will receive an error message and Covered Escape will not be used
  • You can roll in place while running. Press and hold W and then hit jump and CE at the same time.

Ref: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=609256&page=9

Edited by paowee

QUESTIONS AND:

Answers

from Darth_Caedes:

Hey All,

I'm new to the IA and Engineering so I'm sorry for my inexperienced questions. Before I start plugging in numbers I just want to clarify a few things. All in all I'm not sure if there's a key difference between the pattern priority and the priority list.

Opening:

http://i.imgur.com/1jhad8O.jpg (I saw something completely different for an opener but I can remember where I saw it in this thread so I apologize if this is a stupid question)

In terms of a priority/pattern

http://i.imgur.com/RyqUcmp.jpg or this http://i.imgur.com/MTdDOHl.jpg

Thanks all!

Remember that this Engineering guide is just that, a guide and i recommend that you experiment and try out differnt things, try moving some abilities up and down the prioriy lists, etc etc. ^^,

1) Regarding this Opener

This is just what i use and there are other ways to open as Engineering. Play how you like it. You don't have to follow that opener down to the core. Looking at that picture right now... i think i'd do some changes like maybe put Corrosive Dart after Interrogation Probe and use Series of Shots AFTER Explosive Probe. I would add Ambush before doing Snipe spam and I'd probably do only 1-2 Snipes before finishing the opener with adrenaline probe.

2) Now the pattern:

I (think i) mentioned in the original post that that rotation's goal is to give you permanent 3 stacks of Electrified Railgun AS WELL AS using Series of Shots as soon as it comes back up. It is a unique and interesting talent and that is why i decided that for this pattern / rotation i want it to revolve around keeping the DoT up at all times. Simply put the pattern aims to give you, easily, a 100% uptime on Electrified Railgun x 3. For example:

Series of Shots = refreshes Electrified Railgun

GCD = instant cast ability

Snipe = refreshes Electrified Railgun

Series of Shots -> GCD -> GCD -> Snipe -> GCD -> GCD -> Series of Shots

Remember: Ambush has a ~2.5s cast time. If you want to keep Electrified Railgun up, you may need to use Overload Shot or Snipe immediately after Ambush. PREFERRABLY you want to use SoS instead and this will be discussed further down below.

3) Next.. the priority list. Quite a lot of abilities in there!

Part 1: Icons 1-4 (armor penetration)

The first 2 icons are shatter shot and target acquired. An armor pen debuff (45 seconds) that needs to be up on the target at all times and an armor pen buff (10 seconds) that will greatly increase the damage of some of your abilities.

The 3rd icon is Covered Escape (or Scatter Bombs), your highest sustained DPS ability. You want to have an armor pen debuff up and you want to use it when you have the target acquired buff. The 4th icon is EMP Discharge (resets your Covered Escape). During your target acquired, if possible you should do

(target acquired buff on yourself) Covered Escape -> EMP Discharge -> Covered Escape = armor pen debuff on your target.

Part 2: Icons 5-9 (Series of Shots and your instant cast abilities)

Icons 5, 6, 7 are your DoTs. 8 is SoS and 9 is Explosive Probe. This is where the pattern comes into play. After you do your opener your abilities are coming off cooldown and its time to refresh your dots. To avoid confusion, lets ignore Series of Shots for now. According to the priority list, you want to use plasma probe first, then interrogation probe and then corrosive dart. If you plug it in the pattern you have:

Plasma Probe -> Interrogation Probe -> SoS -> Corrosive Dart... We can go further down this line.

Plasma Probe -> Interrogation Probe -> SoS -> Corrosive Dart -> Explosive Probe -> Snipe -> Around this time SoS will come of cooldown and you repeat.

GCD -> GCD -> SoS -> GCD -> GCD -> Snipe -> GCD -> GCD -> SoS

Sometimes you will need to use Rifle Shot. Sometimes you may need to refresh the armor pen debuff. You can insert them in the pattern as well:

PP -> IP -> SoS -> CD -> EP -> Snipe -> ShatterShot -> RS -> SoS

Ambush takes a while to cast and there's a chance ER might fall off. You will want to follow Ambush with Snipe or Overload shot but preferably SoS. Series of Shots hits multiple times and "instantly" puts 3 stacks of ER up so you can "afford" to let it fall off.

PP -> IP -> Snipe -> CD -> EP -> SoS -> Ambush -> Snipe or

PP -> IP -> Snipe -> CD -> Ambush -> SoS -> EP -> GCD -> Snipe

Part 3: Icon 10 (Orbital Strike)

Hard hitting ability. You want to use it on cooldown. You want all your DoTs ticking on the target before you cast Orbital Strike. If you cast Orbital Strike with nothing at all on your target, your DPS will drop down a lot. The only exception is when multiple adds are coming out and in that case you want to cast Orbital asap (or preemptively if you can)

Part 4: Icons 11 and 14

If you follow the pattern you cna ignore Icon 11 which is Electrified Railgun. It should be up on the target at all times anyways. Icon 14 is Laze Target... it probably should not be there lol. By default you want to use it everytime it comes back up.

Part 5: Icons 12, 13 and 15

Takedown - Ignoring its position on the priority list... i suggest just using it on cd when you hit 30%. It will count as one GCD so be sure to plug it in the pattern correctly.

Ambush - You want to use it when all your DoTs are ticking and all your abilities are on cooldown. Say: you just refreshed your 3 dots, SoS and EP is on cooldown. Orbital Strike still has 30 seconds left. And you had just used Covered Escape. The boss is at 80% hp and you can't use Takedown yet. What can you do? Ambush.

Snipe - is your filler ability and more importantly used to keep Electrified Railgun at 3 stacks.

Edited by paowee

extremely informative; I had no clue scatter bombs were that powerful!
It is! But at the same time it is very situational. I've added new parses and as you can see, you can either do 2400 DPS (if you don't use Scatter Bombs) or up to 2900 DPS (if you can get Scatter Bombs to hit). How much damage you do largely depends on HOW you play your Engineering Sniper. It is a very challenging and very rewarding spec to play. On a 30-second burn phase, with Orbital, Scatter Bombs and EMP Discharge (resets the CD of your Covered Escape, you can dish out as much as 4000 DPS. :eek: Edited by paowee

It is! But at the same time it is very situational. I've added new parses and as you can see, you can either do 2400 DPS (if you don't use Scatter Bombs) or up to 2900 DPS (if you can get Scatter Bombs to hit). How much damage you do largely depends on HOW you play your Engineering Sniper. It is a very challenging and very rewarding spec to play. On a 30-second burn phase, with Orbital, Scatter Bombs and EMP Discharge (resets the CD of your Covered Escape, you can dish out as much as 4000 DPS. :eek:

DPS per target* amirite, not to mention frag grenade and plasma probe to pad those numbers.

DPS per target* amirite, not to mention frag grenade and plasma probe to pad those numbers.

The parses we're single target correct (on the dummy). You can do more if you can hit more than 1 target. Huge hit circles = great for Full Engineers :o

Edited by paowee

It's true that eng have gone from not at all viable in PvE to being alright and also very useful in fight with massive AoE, however I wouldn't say that it is on pair with neither full mm, full leth nor hybrid even on 2.0 It has become better and hurts more then before, but it's not something that will be used by snipers/gunslingers when doing progressing or really hard content.

It's true that eng have gone from not at all viable in PvE to being alright and also very useful in fight with massive AoE, however I wouldn't say that it is on pair with neither full mm, full leth nor hybrid even on 2.0 It has become better and hurts more then before, but it's not something that will be used by snipers/gunslingers when doing progressing or really hard content.

I wouldn't say that it is on pair with neither full mm, full leth nor hybrid[/Quote]

That is a nice challenge :D I'll be happy sure to track and make sure I post the raid parse for Full Engi next week (for everyone's scrutiny) and compare it with other classes/Snipers.

Edited by paowee

I had just finished uploading a video rotation guide for full engineering :). By far this is more "dot" spec than full lethality.

Plasma probe, interrogation probe, corrosive dart, shatter shot debuff, electrified railgun at 3 stacks, and you can put in Cluster bombsin the mix as well. That's 5, at the most 6 debuffs to track!

I'll post the video soon and let me know what you guys think!

Excellent guide!

You have inspired me to go back onto the PTS to try this out. Out of curiosity which 5 points would you remove from the spec to make it viable at level 50 (for leveling) once the 2.0 patch goes live?

Any spec that does not require the need for crit chance will be handy once 2.0 goes live, I've been dreading how rough it will be to be full lethality while gearing up at 55 with such low crit chance. When I tested full lethality on the PTS, it was barely manageable energy-wise with full arkanian gear, I expect the gearing up prior to that to be more of a pain regarding energy management.

Excellent guide!

You have inspired me to go back onto the PTS to try this out. Out of curiosity which 5 points would you remove from the spec to make it viable at level 50 (for leveling) once the 2.0 patch goes live?

Any spec that does not require the need for crit chance will be handy once 2.0 goes live, I've been dreading how rough it will be to be full lethality while gearing up at 55 with such low crit chance. When I tested full lethality on the PTS, it was barely manageable energy-wise with full arkanian gear, I expect the gearing up prior to that to be more of a pain regarding energy management.

Afaik I would just go straight up the Engineering tree. With 36 points that will let you grab Plasma Probe and Scatter Bombs. The last 10 points I will put into the bottom talents of Marks and Lethality. Or is there a level requirement attached to the higher talents? Like L55 in order to get Plasma Probe :confused:?

I've also updated the original post for clarity more input.

Edited by paowee

Excellent guide!

[...]I expect the gearing up prior to that to be more of a pain regarding energy management.

Back in the day I found Plasma Probe's aoe and slow component to work well while levelling. It is especially sweet to use on those clumped up mobs :)

Edited by paowee

Man this rotation is tricky. Will take some getting used to.

Without scatter bombs: http://www.torparse.com/upload ~ about 1800 dps (when trimmed)

With scatter bombs: http://www.torparse.com/a/163516 ~ about 2088 dps (when trimmed)

I think I did slightly better dps with my clumsy attempt at this rotation than I did last week with my familiar rotation that I've been using for months on live, so I'm confident that once I get used to it I'll do even better. But apparently either I suck, or have a lot worse gear than you do since your numbers blow mine out of the water.

My tech stats are:

Bonus Damage: 1122.6

Accuracy: 109.33%

Crit Chance: 29.57%

Crit Multiplier: 60.96%

Alacrity: 2.06

Man this rotation is tricky. Will take some getting used to.

Without scatter bombs: http://www.torparse.com/upload ~ about 1800 dps (when trimmed)

With scatter bombs: http://www.torparse.com/a/163516 ~ about 2088 dps (when trimmed)

I think I did slightly better dps with my clumsy attempt at this rotation than I did last week with my familiar rotation that I've been using for months on live, so I'm confident that once I get used to it I'll do even better. But apparently either I suck, or have a lot worse gear than you do since your numbers blow mine out of the water.

My tech stats are:

Bonus Damage: 1122.6

Accuracy: 109.33%

Crit Chance: 29.57%

Crit Multiplier: 60.96%

Alacrity: 2.06

My tech stats are:

Bonus Damage: 1397

Accuracy: 109.97%

Crit Chance: 21.33%

Crit Mult: 68.13%

Alacrity: 2.00%

So there's definitely gear disparity there. But looking at your log:

# of Hits in 5 minutes

(Me, You)

Ambush: 1, 0 - I used Ambush as part of the opener

SS: 5, 8 - You probably have better armor pen uptime

RS: 48, 14 - I spammed RS a lot more >_<

EP: 11, 9,

Electrified Railgun: 174, 177 - we have pretty much the same uptime on this DoT

CD: 65, 45 - I had better uptime for CD

IP: 102, 99 - close / pretty much the same use of IP

Snipe: 27, 17 - that's 10 Snipes missed! That could easily be somewhere around 30,000 more damage (in my gear if i did 10 less Snipes)

PP: 131, 122 - i had better uptime on PP but its close

SoS: 82, 70 - I did more SoS than you in the same amount of time. SoS is a big contributor to your DPS.

Scatter Bombs: 90, 70 - This is the big hitter for you. I used 4 more Covered Escape and that is huge in terms of DPS.

I highlighted the abilities that you should use more. imo working more on these abilities will bump your DPS up a lot. Especially since SoS and Scatter Bombs are your strongest abilities. Use SoS more (basically keep it on cd), same with Covered Escape, and try dump your energy via Snipes when you have AP up. Other than that, according to your log it looks like you're good on everything else! Plus you used FAR LESS RS than I did. :)

Edited by paowee

My tech stats are:

Bonus Damage: 1397

Accuracy: 109.97%

Crit Chance: 21.33%

Crit Mult: 68.13%

Alacrity: 2.00%

So there's definitely gear disparity there. But looking at your log:

# of Hits in 5 minutes

(Me, You)

Ambush: 1, 0 - I used Ambush as part of the opener

SS: 5, 8 - You probably have better armor pen uptime

RS: 48, 14 - I spammed RS a lot more >_<

EP: 11, 9,

Electrified Railgun: 174, 177 - we have pretty much the same uptime on this DoT

CD: 65, 45 - I had better uptime for CD

IP: 102, 99 - close / pretty much the same use of IP

Snipe: 27, 17

PP: 131, 122 - i had better uptime on PP but its close

SoS: 82, 70 - I did more SoS than you in the same amount of time. SoS is a big contributor to your DPS.

Scatter Bombs: 90, 70 - This is the big hitter for you. I used 4 more Covered Escape and that is huge in terms of DPS.

Use SoS more (keep it on cd), same with Covered Escape, and try dump your energy via Snipes when you have AP up. Other than that, accdg to your logs it looks like you're good on everything else! Plus you used FAR LESS RS than I did. :)

Well the gear disparity is comforting. Hopefully I'll get closer numbers to yours with more practice. Keeping track of when everything is off cooldown and need to be refreshed is a lot trickier now than on live is seems.

Well the gear disparity is comforting. Hopefully I'll get closer numbers to yours with more practice. Keeping track of when everything is off cooldown and need to be refreshed is a lot trickier now than on live is seems.

Are you using PP as a timer for your other 2 DoTs? If you always use IP and CD after PP, then the only DoT you need to watch out for is PP every 18 seconds. Once your PP comes back up, refresh IP and CD immediately, but consider delaying IP and CD if SoS and Covered Escape becomes available.

Edited by paowee

Here are some raid parses as Full Engineering:

http://www.torparse.com/a/162518/3 Operator

• Adds / mechanics: The small silver adds are easy to dispatch using only your single target rotation. The same can be said for the bigger gold adds with or without your dodge roll.
  • Covered Escape: ✔ Your dodge roll will "work wonders" on the cores. If you roll directly in front of the cores, you will roll a few feet forward as you hit the wall thus letting all 5 scatter bombs hit the core's hit box.
  • Boss hit circle / hit box: ✔ Operator is huge. The width of this boss is big enough so that it covers the entire 18m length of your roll.

Covered Escape = exceptional during Cores phase and Boss Phase

http://www.torparse.com/a/162518/10 Kephess

• Adds / mechanics: Your single target rotation works just fine when you are on add duty. It is easy to get most of your hard hitting abilities every "burn phase" of this boss. Make sure you save EP, PP and SoS and spam snipe a lot especially when you know you have double AP available in the next few seconds. (AP + EMP DISCHARGE + AP again).
  • Boss hit circle / hit box: Kephess is a bit small. You may only be able to get 1-2 Scatter Bombs off on him. I haven't tried Hybrid or Marks for this boss but so far I think the spec is viable and does more than enough DPS. I certainly didnt felt like I was getting carried in this boss fight.

http://www.torparse.com/a/162518/13 TFB

• Adds / mechanics: Phase 1 tentacles have huge hit circles. Plenty of room to maneuver but just make sure you reposition yourself asap unless you want to get slammed. Did not encounter any problems being on add duty or on tentacle duty.
  • Covered Escape: Phase 2. Covered Escape DOES NOT drop you off the platform but "jumps" you into another platform instead. I found that at most 2 bombs will hit the tentacle on the platform. Note that the bombs you drop while "flying" in mid air will hit Terror From Beyond itself but with reduced damage (iirc). During the tantrum phase, doing Covered Escape + EMP Discharge + Covered Escape while panning your camera up towards the boss and you will see a huge clump of damage from your scatter bombs.
  • Notes: I felt that Phase 1 and Tantrum Phase will be your strongest areas, and your DPS lowering slightly during Phase 2 due to Covered Escape rolling you out of your main platform. When this happens, at most 2 bombs will hit the tentacle and then other 3 bombs will hit TFB but with reduced damage. Your DoTs will also not do any damage until you get back on the platform you are DPSing the tentacle at.

Covered Escape = good for Phase 1 and Tantrum Phase

Edited by paowee

How are those parses looking against other classes?

I mean, the 1800 operator parse looks pretty good, but I guess with the new gear and abilities and everything I'm not sure what the other classes were doing, comparatively.

Thanks again for putting this together... a great thread!

Edit: Also, should I be putting in Covered Escape and OS in between Snipes? I haven't quite figured out when to do that yet.

Edited by SalBasss

How are those parses looking against other classes?

I mean, the 1800 operator parse looks pretty good, but I guess with the new gear and abilities and everything I'm not sure what the other classes were doing, comparatively.

Thanks again for putting this together... a great thread!

Np! :D

For Operator IX

In the same run:

• Guardian (Vengeance spec) 1825 http://www.torparse.com/a/148857/26/0/Overview
  • Engineering Sniper 1824 DPS http://www.torparse.com/a/162518/3
  • Marauder 1726 DPS http://www.torparse.com/a/162508/19/0/Overview
  • It is worth nothing that this parse, http://www.torparse.com/a/151934/26 which is sitting at 2000 DPS for as Marksman Sniper made impressive use of AoE by having stacked up adds get hit by Orbital Strike. :p By comparison though, without the huge DPS ramp up with 3 ticks of Orbital Strike hitting 4 adds, I believe Engineering is more than viable and will definitely compete with Marksman.

01:18:59.350 Lazè's Orbital Strike hits Recognizer for 3289 elemental damage, causing 3289 threat.
    01:18:59.350 Lazè's Orbital Strike critically hits Recognizer for 6705* elemental damage, causing 6705 threat!
    01:18:59.350 Lazè's Orbital Strike critically hits Recognizer for 6705* elemental damage, causing 6705 threat!
    01:18:59.350 Lazè's Orbital Strike hits Recognizer for 3289 elemental damage, causing 3289 threat.
    01:19:02.298 Lazè's Orbital Strike hits Master Control for 0 damage, causing 7256 threat.
    01:19:02.299 Lazè's Orbital Strike critically hits Recognizer for 7256* elemental damage, causing 7256 threat!
    01:19:02.299 Lazè's Orbital Strike hits Recognizer for 3560 elemental damage, causing 3560 threat.
    01:19:02.299 Lazè's Orbital Strike hits Recognizer for 3560 elemental damage, causing 3560 threat.
    01:19:02.300 Lazè's Orbital Strike hits Recognizer for 3560 elemental damage, causing 3560 threat.
    01:19:05.340 Lazè's Orbital Strike hits Master Control for 0 damage, causing 7256 threat.
    01:19:05.340 Lazè's Orbital Strike hits Recognizer for 3560 elemental damage, causing 3560 threat.
    01:19:05.341 Lazè's Orbital Strike hits Recognizer for 3560 elemental damage, causing 3560 threat.
    01:19:05.341 Lazè kills Recognizer.
    01:19:05.341 Lazè's Orbital Strike hits Recognizer for 3560 elemental damage, causing 3560 threat.

For a total of 19,000 DPS in 3 ticks of Orbital Strike hitting 4 adds.

For Kephess

It may be worth going Lethality or Marks for this fight since Kephess isn't big enough to get hit by 5 Scatter Bombs as Full Engineering.

1 Gorbandi----------3732.78 DPS----------Time 279.75s - Marauder

2 Stingräysam------3680.89 DPS----------Time 336.86s - PT

can not tell if before or after Hybrid nerf

3 Akopra-------------3668.18 DPS----------Time 316.73s - Hybrid Sniper

4 B'oardertwo--------3542.92 DPS----------Time 207.7s - Engineering Sniper

I died halfway in the fight. I think that is why Gorband's (guildie in the same run) parse was 279 seconds while I was at 207 seconds. I don't know how it was recorded in torparse though. Without dying, it is possible that my DPS will be lower as well.

Terror From Beyond

Note that all 3 Marauders used the Void Disturbance buff from Phase 1 (which is a huge DPS increase).

To check the logs, click on TFB tab, then on the upper right ish corner you will see a link called "Log." Click on that and [ Ctrl+F = Void ].

Also it is worth noting that although Gorband took the Void disturbance in P1, he was put on anomaly duty in P2. I haven't done anomalies so I am not sure if they spawn faster or slower in 2.0 TFB.

1 Gorbandi----------1975.6 DPS----------Time 735.36s - MARAUDER (with void disturbance)

2 B'oardertwo----------1806.29 DPS----------Time 735.35s - Engineering SNIPER

3 Deathstrider----------1796.11 DPS----------Time 765.35s - MARAUDER (with void disturbance)

4 Fatal-threat----------1697.98 DPS----------Time 745.86s - MARAUDER (with void disturbance)

Edited by paowee

That helps - thanks. For Kephess, the amazing thing is Akopra's parse is on live. I am assuming the others are on 2.0, but I can't tell for sure (though I suspect Gorbandi is since he was in your run).

Also, I bet you were responding when I edited this in, but: should I be putting in Covered Escape and OS in between Snipes (your "purple windows")? I haven't quite figured out when to do that yet.