Names of the months in SW?

stevesss

i would think in a galactic society it wouldnt matter much.

because each planet would be different. different day lengths etc. if a particular planet doesnt wobble as earth does then it would be a constant season and months wouldn't mean much

I would assume each planet has it's own way of tracking time due to varying lengths of day and planetary orbits around their suns.

And then I would assume there's some kind of unified dating system. (Example Star Date: etc etc.)

I notice on the timeline in the holonet the entries are BTC and ATC. (Before/After The Treaty of Couruscant.) So we have evidence of some kind of yearly system, but no idea about how long this is relative to a year in RL.

I guess all we can say with certainty at this point is there is 456 months per year in SWTOR.

I would assume each planet has it's own way of tracking time due to varying lengths of day and planetary orbits around their suns.

And then I would assume there's some kind of unified dating system. (Example Star Date: etc etc.)

I notice on the timeline in the holonet the entries are BTC and ATC. (Before/After The Treaty of Couruscant.) So we have evidence of some kind of yearly system, but no idea about how long this is relative to a year in RL.

I guess all we can say with certainty at this point is there is 456 months per year in SWTOR.

Since we can travel at light speed it also makes it more possible to have a universal date

i would think in a galactic society it wouldnt matter much.

because each planet would be different. different day lengths etc. if a particular planet doesnt wobble as earth does then it would be a constant season and months wouldn't mean much

good point.

Ok he just said what i was going to say

the Galactic Standard Calendar was the standard measurement of time in the galaxy. It centered around the Coruscant Solar cycle, which was 368 days long (one day consisting of 24 standard hours).[1] Numerous epochs were used to determine calendar eras. The most recent of these calendar eras used the Battle of Yavin as its epoch, or "year zero". BBY stands for Before the Battle of Yavin, and ABY stands for After the Battle of Yavin.

pretty easy to find...

Since we can travel at light speed it also makes it more possible to have a universal date

From a physics standpoint it is way faster than the speed of light because you can travel between star systems in minutes/hours. So it would have to be wormhole travel. Especially since traveling at the speed of light makes time go slower than when you aren't (twins paradox). But take the Milky Way for example. The MW is 100,000 light years wide, meaning it would take 100,000 years to get across the galaxy while traveling at light speed. And I would think the galaxy in star wars would have to be at least as big as the milky way, if not bigger (andromeda is 2x bigger than the MW and IC1011 the larget known galaxy is 6 million LY across), since it has so many inhabitable planets. But I say all this from a science standpoint. Any lore guys know if any of the SW lore ever covered travel techniques and size of the galaxy?

Impossible to know due to what this Gentleman stated, but I will expand slightly. If you look on Wookieepedia at different planet bios you will see they each have their own system structure with 1+ moons, suns, and most importantly for this question: varying degrees in their solar calendar. Some plants have 400+ days, while others have far less. Therefore, it is impossible to have names for months because planets in the Star Wars universe have varying amounts of days in their calendars, which likely entails varying amounts of months.

Edited by mfrags