Who's Hurting Me? Big Hitters

Wainamoinen

If you got hit by dispatch for 5k, then you should have been hit by Takedown or Assassinate for 5k as well. Especially Assassinate (hits significantly harder than dispatch). Also, if anyone still played watchman, merc slash definitely can hit for more than 5k. Deception shock and discharge can get over 5k too. There's a few others too, but this is just an example.

I'd agree that Takedown and Assassinate are hard-hitting abilities. I simply wasn't hit for over 5k by them in that month and a half though, while I was by the other abilities. This is probably because they don't hit quite hard enough to make the 5k cut on someone with my expertise (1300ish), or at least they so rarely hit that high I didn't catch enough to take one over 5k.

What kind of scoundrel are you? I am asking because, smash being AE, you may not have been the primary target of the attack much of the time. If you're not a marked primary target, you may be missing out on some hard hits by virtue of them being single-target only.

Good question: Scrapper. I'd say that if people see me, then they like to hit me (for some reason getting shot in the head from stealth seems unpopular, plus squishy). As to whether I was primary target though, I'd say that's probably a wash - what matters is what's doing the damage, and if an AoE is doing big damage to lots of people who weren't primary target, it's still what's damaging them.

The reason why the imp abilities seems to cause more damage, because imp players have the tendency to stuck offensive stats meantime the rebs like to stuck up on defensive stats, so obviously the guy with full defense will hit for less.

No way to prove this, and I'd say that I was taking similar damage from mirror abilites irrespective of faction. I took more Imp hits because I'm Rep and fought against Imps much more often, which makes it more likely the highest value on me from something was an Imp hit, but doesn't mean Imps hit harder.

Does the game even record in the log file the full amount of damage taken from killshots? That would explain the lack of kill-shot #s. And you know, he's a stealthy fool that probably vanishes at any sign of troubles.

First part: another good question. I believe it records the full damage, but I don't know this for sure. Would be good to find out.

Second part: don't think that is really going to affect what I take damage from. If I get low enough to want to disappear, I'm low enough to eat an execute. As to play style, I'll stick it out until death if I think it's going to help win the warzone, or disappear if that's the best move. Frankly, it's not like I have the choice most of the time, as Disappearing Act is on cd maybe 90% of my warzones. If it's a general melee where staying in stealth (doing no damage) isn't optimum I'll often vanish and Shoot First again to bash someone and get Flechette Round back on them.

in the Rob Hinkle feature they just did, he mentioned that he wanted to see more posts w/ combat log info.

Read that, part of what spurred me to post this.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you got hit by dispatch for 5k, then you should have been hit by Takedown or Assassinate for 5k as well. Especially Assassinate (hits significantly harder than dispatch). Also, if anyone still played watchman, merc slash definitely can hit for more than 5k. Deception shock and discharge can get over 5k too. There's a few others too, but this is just an example.
His whole post total BS, i stop reading after he said about 5k scream

I'd agree that Takedown and Assassinate are hard-hitting abilities. I simply wasn't hit for over 5k by them in that month and a half though, while I was by the other abilities. This is probably because they don't hit quite hard enough to make the 5k cut on someone with my expertise (1300ish), or at least they so rarely hit that high I didn't catch enough to take one over 5k.

Maybe the fact that Smash and Sweep are so common and hard hitting, as well as wether you're the main target or a collateral victim because it's AoE, that it reduces the chances of you being hit by execute moves from other players because they don't let you living for enough time to be "executed". (I, myself tried Rage on my Mara and it happens that I use much less Vicious Throw than before although I would like to use it much often, because my targets tend to be wiped out before I could throw by my own Smash) Less executes moves implies less chances of being hit over 5K by them.

Edited by Altheran

With all the complaints about Smash, I thought I'd look at my combat logs to find out what abilities were hitting me hardest, and which were hitting me hard most often. Burst is much more important than sustained in PvP, so these are the things that kill you. I've posted a screen grab of the result in case anyone's interested in actual numbers.

I pulled all the hits on me of over 5k from 1st December 2012 to 14 Jan 2013. A month and a half of warzones.

I haven't included my own hits, because they will have been on a variety of targets and aren't comparable (other than maybe to see how my max damage varied over time, not interested in that for this post's purposes).

The target they are all on (me) is a Scoundrel with around 1300 expertise (from just under at the beginning of the period to just over at the end). I think this variation is small enough to make them fairly comparable.

My Scoundrel is of course Rep, so there is a bias towards Imp abilities. However, SWTOR's mirror classes allow us to pair abilities for a combined total. I included some Rep abilities on the list as they were mirrors even though I wasn't hit for over 5k by them.

Pic of the results here:

http://tinypic.com/r/244upoo/6

The highlights:

Hit for 5k or more 460 times.

Biggest hit was a 7271 Smash.

88.5% of hits over 5k were either Smash or Force Sweep.

The second hardest-hitting ability was Maul/Shadow Strike, with a high of 5856, and 5.2% of greater than 5k hits.

Eight pairs of abilites managed to hit me for over 5k in the month and a half. Other than the two mentioned, these were:

Force Scream/Blade Storm

Heatseeker Missiles/Demolition Round

Ambush/Aimed Shot

Vicious Throw/Dispatch

Ravage/Master Strike

Rail Shot/High Impact Bolt

Four of the eight abilities hitting me over 5k are Jedi Knight/Sith Warrior attacks (available to both Sentinel/Marauder and Guardian/Juggernaut advanced classes).

No Sage/Sorceror or Scoundrel/Operative advanced class abilities hit me for over 5k in the month and a half of warzones.

The number of a times an ability appears could be affected by the number of opponents I faced. The JK/SW warrior abilities as basic class abilites are available to four advanced classes, so could be expected to be twice as common as an advanced-class-only ability even with equal numbers of opponent in each class.

A related point is class popularity. Although I can't believe it applies to Sages/Sorcs, a lack of Scoundrel/Operative opponents might help explain the absence of Shoot First/Hidden Strike.

If a lot of people are playing JK/SW, that would give a boost to the numbers of times I'm hit by their abilities outside the ability being stronger.

The popularity argument risks being circular though, as it leads you to ask "why are they playing (or not playing), these dps classes?", and the answer is likely to be "the amount of damage they do".

Ah well, take what you want from it.

Mr Rob Hinkle!

Take a look at this post please!

I hope its not an "emotional feedback" for you....

Does the log file list the total damage done for each cast of channelled abilities like Ful Auto/Unload, Telekinetic throw, etc?

Per tick. This probably undervalues abilities like Unload or XS Freighter Flyby. But then each of these allow the target to react in some way to counter them - no-one is forcing you to stand in the fire. Also, Ravage/Master Strike appears, but this is (almost certainly) just on its final tick, there will have been damage from the smaller first two too.

Thanks for sharing this & I'd like to know how you got the data (direct from your log file, parsed by a site in any way)?

Direct from logs myself, in Excel.

His whole post total BS, i stop reading after he said about 5k scream

No, it isn't. Just because you can't manage it doesn't mean others can't.

edit: If you're Rage/Focus you may not realise the Carnage tree has big boosts to Force Scream (+10% base damage, autocrit, +30% crit damage).

It's straight off my logs. I'd tell you who did it, if I didn't want to take the small risk of "naming" violation.

If I say "pls no NBlzr" the person responsible should know who they were (and I hope they feel guilty)...

Edited by Wainamoinen

It's straight off my logs. I'd tell you who did it, if I didn't want to take the small risk of "naming" violation.

I think that as long as you don't grief someone or flame someone, moderators are fine with "naming".

I saw numerous "friendly naming" not being moderated and removed.

Edited by Altheran

Wow, that sucks, if there were some autmoated way (ie, upload a log file to a site somewhere) which could then collate all the data, I'm sure you'd be able to get more data.

That would be really good. The point above about a particular class/spec target affecting the data might be true, and without getting a cross section you can't say for sure.

Interesting... and there ya go Dev. Rob.

I suppose we could talk variables all day, but I'm still a little surprised snipers don't show much on there. Even if they're not targeting you often, I imagine as a Scrapper you're targeting them and they're shooting back.

Sorc madness is fine.

A takedown ability for sages/sorcs is mostly desired. I can't count the number of times that I've brought a healer down to takedown hp range only for him to escape cause my next mini burst rotation is at 6secs or in 15 for a bigger one. And this will be a burst if a they crit and proc, so in other words if stars align, so when this happens and after all this effort at least give a finishing shot cause otherwise it seems that the class is pretty useless.

A takedown ability for sages/sorcs is mostly desired. I can't count the number of times that I've brought a healer down to takedown hp range only for him to escape cause my next mini burst rotation is at 6secs or in 15 for a bigger one. And this will be a burst if a they crit and proc, so in other words if stars align, so when this happens and after all this effort at least give a finishing shot cause otherwise it seems that the class is pretty useless.

There is some sort of design concept, that doesn't give any of the healer ACs an execution ability. First of all, if they would give it to a class, that it will probably be available for all specs. And i would definetely not want to see an OP healer running arround peforming 5000 damage takedowns. You can get on high enough in DPS trees, especially since Madness doesn't have a tier 5 active skill. But giving the entire AC an execution ability, this would be too much.

The biggest single hit ability I know for Sorcs is TB with affliction up (for the crit). It rare to see it in PVP because people are going hybrid. Even than the best I have done is 4.5k with 1300 ex.

There is no single ability that a sage/sorc can instant hit for over 5k on a decently geared opponent. There are more though that are between 4-4.5, but you cannot have access to them at the same time.

1. Force in balance from balance tree

2. Project (shock) from balance tree (crit and proc)

3. Disturbance (lightning strike) from telekinetics tree (crit and proc)

4. Turbolence (thundering blast) as you mentioned from telekinetics tree

There is some sort of design concept, that doesn't give any of the healer ACs an execution ability. First of all, if they would give it to a class, that it will probably be available for all specs. And i would definetely not want to see an OP healer running arround peforming 5000 damage takedowns.

I perfectly makes sense considering healers use pretty much the same stats than DPS (unlike some other games) and so would have approximately the same raw power on these abilities. Healers would be able to run here an there delievering some 4K-5K killing blows, and I don't think it would be profitable.

Edited by Altheran

There is some sort of design concept, that doesn't give any of the healer ACs an execution ability. First of all, if they would give it to a class, that it will probably be available for all specs. And i would definetely not want to see an OP healer running arround peforming 5000 damage takedowns. You can get on high enough in DPS trees, especially since Madness doesn't have a tier 5 active skill. But giving the entire AC an execution ability, this would be too much.

Never mentioned healers and of course it shouldn't be a healer's ability, it can be a skill high up on the dps trees.

Lil scoundrel, plz, do not fool anyone.

You do not see over 5 k from hidden strike, cause acid blade/flechettte round places dot which ignores armor (internal damage) and has + 30 % surge bonus from talents.

With full ticks of dot damage hidden strike total damage is more than 5 k.

Neither smash, carnage force scream, executes etc. have additional damaging effects attached to them.

Sorcs can and hit over 5 k with death field: + 30 % surge from madness tree, + 10 % aoe damage bonus from healing tree, internal damage that ignores damage reduction from armor.

Edited by BambulaGTS

Never mentioned healers and of course it shouldn't be a healer's ability, it can be a skill high up on the dps trees.

Okay, but which DPS spec would be granted a execution ability, which one will get ignored ? I don't see the same ability put in two different skill tree.

Edited by Altheran

Sorcs can and hit over 5 k with death field: + 30 % surge from madness tree, + 10 % aoe damage bonus from healing tree, internal damage that ignores damage reduction from armor.

Even with this spec and I played it for a while I can't recall a 5k+ force in balance. Must be on greens. Sage's valor something like 95-96.

Lil scoundrel, plz, do not fool anyone.

You do not see over 5 k from hidden strike, cause acid blade/flechettte round places dot which ignores armor (internal damage) and has + 30 % surge bonus from talents.

With full ticks of dot damage hidden strike total damage is more than 5 k.

Neither smash, carnage force scream, executes etc. have additional damaging effects attached to them.

Unless your Hidden strike doesn't crit and ends up hitting for like 3k.

Even with this spec and I played it for a while I can't recall a 5k+ force in balance. Must be on greens. Sage's valor something like 95-96.

It is stable 4500-4800 on wh. With either wz buff, bloodthist it will be over 5 k. On recruit without AoE reduction talents it will be always 5 k +. On greens it will be 6-7 k (yes i saw it).

Okay, but which DPS spec would be granted a execution ability, which one will get ignored ? I don't see the same ability put in two different skill tree.

Firstly tk tree in theory has more burst so it is more needed in balance. But there are workarounds also. It can be a class ability that the dps trees enhance in terms of crit and/or surge. Unfortunately this means healers can take it also but not useful for them.

There is also another alternative: project and disturbance could be used as finishing moves by if the target is under 30%hp then it auto-crits and auto-procs or they auto-proc and do 50% more damage; and there you have your finishing moves without adding a new ability.

Edited by MusicRider

Unless your Hidden strike doesn't crit and ends up hitting for like 3k.

Sure but smasher does not suddenly appear behind your back from thin air and smashes you so fiercely that you lay with your face on the ground?

You know everything has a reason.

There is also another alternative: project could be used as finishing moves by if the target is under 30%hp then it auto-crits and auto-procs or it auto-proc and do 50% more damage; and there you have your finishing move without adding a new ability.

These options seems to be best ways so far.

Sure but smasher does not suddenly appear behind your back from thin air and smashes you so fiercely that you lay with your face on the ground?

No, but he turn into a rocket-man and root you just before smashing.

Edited by Altheran