Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PvP Skank Gear and Combat Proficiences thread... post your build

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Guardian / Juggernaut
PvP Skank Gear and Combat Proficiences thread... post your build

KendraP
01.23.2018 , 05:33 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Yezzan View Post
I agree with you.

If he wants to be a tanky DPS then just use a shield generator instead of a focus offhand. There is no reason for a DPs to be using Tank mods and enhancements. And no idea why he would not have a set bonus.
I still don't think a shield was doing anything for a dps since it's activated by soresu form, which is now locked to tank spec.

It's simple if you want to dps go dps. Otherwise learn to tank.

AdjeYo
01.24.2018 , 09:36 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by KendraP View Post
I still don't think a shield was doing anything for a dps since it's activated by soresu form, which is now locked to tank spec.

It's simple if you want to dps go dps. Otherwise learn to tank.
Actually without Soresu if you equip a shield you get a base shield chance of 5%, Soresu just increases that to 15% but you don't actually need Soresu active to be able to shield attacks. Not that it's worth it to get a shield (and lose out on the damage increase from a focus) when your base shield chance is a pathetic 5%, but technically a shield does work even as dps.

Mordarion
01.25.2018 , 03:20 AM | #13
Been working on a more damage dealing skank. It is very similar to Korrii's...

Mastery: 8134
Power: 4307
Crit: 1789 (43.83%)
Alacrity: 693 (7.06%)
Accuracy: 111%
HP: 138369

Armors: 6 Tank and 1 DPS
Mods: Lethal Mod 52 and Lethal Mod 52A
Enhancements: Adept Enhancements 52
Augments: Versatile 46
Ear: DPS alacrity
Implants: DPS alacrity x2
Relics: DPS Serendipitous Assault and Focused Retribution
Saber: DPS Hilt
Shield/Focus: Shield with dps mod and enhancement

Disciple Path:
Skillful- Second Wind and Debilitation
Masterful- Focused Freedom and Gather Strength
Heroic- Through Peace Stalwart Defense and Ardent Advocate
Legendary- Cut Loose

Still playing around with the abilities and really trying to get a good solid priority list versus general rotation down. I just need way more practice for the variety of situations that can come up in PvP...
<Rapid Serenity>... on Darth Malgus

KendraP
01.25.2018 , 11:24 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by AdjeYo View Post
Actually without Soresu if you equip a shield you get a base shield chance of 5%, Soresu just increases that to 15% but you don't actually need Soresu active to be able to shield attacks. Not that it's worth it to get a shield (and lose out on the damage increase from a focus) when your base shield chance is a pathetic 5%, but technically a shield does work even as dps.
Even if true you're right the point stands. Why nerf your damage output as a dps? Using taunts is one thing, it technically benefits everyone else without hurting you. In pvp only. Not using a focus is like trying to play a sentinel with one lightsaber.

Even when you could stance dance I didn't approve of people that tried this. Now that stance is tied to discipline there's even less point.

Basically if you want tank survivability, learn to tank. Otherwise, learn to kill stuff.

Yezzan
01.27.2018 , 02:15 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by KendraP View Post
Even if true you're right the point stands. Why nerf your damage output as a dps? Using taunts is one thing, it technically benefits everyone else without hurting you. In pvp only. Not using a focus is like trying to play a sentinel with one lightsaber.

Even when you could stance dance I didn't approve of people that tried this. Now that stance is tied to discipline there's even less point.

Basically if you want tank survivability, learn to tank. Otherwise, learn to kill stuff.
I'll have to disagree with you here. For warzones you don't need a tank; taunt and intercede works just fine and with a healer, things are even easier.

A tank in full tank gear for a regular warzone is less effective than a tank in DPS gear. A defense guardian who goes full DPS will do more damage than a vig or focus, especially if you are frighting groups.

I did MM Athiss, yesterday as a Defense guardian, I'm Vig, but the queue keep popping tanks who had no idea what they were doing, so I switch to Defense, in mm Dps gear. I held all the aggro and was doing 25k guardian slash AOE: Popping a DCD and leaping in and doing my AOE caused mobs to die quickly while i took little damage. OFC I swapped my focus offhand for a shield, when i got to the bosses. but i was doing more damage than the two DPS, and I managed my DCDs. Obviously, a newbie can't pull this off, but a relatively skilled tank can.

TL;DR Skanking is very viable for most content and is even better than being a full tank -- you might not like it but it doesn't change the fact that a SKank performs well.

BTW a shadow tank befits from the DPS set bonus as well.

KendraP
01.27.2018 , 02:30 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Yezzan View Post
I'll have to disagree with you here. For warzones you don't need a tank; taunt and intercede works just fine and with a healer, things are even easier.

A tank in full tank gear for a regular warzone is less effective than a tank in DPS gear. A defense guardian who goes full DPS will do more damage than a vig or focus, especially if you are frighting groups.

I did MM Athiss, yesterday as a Defense guardian, I'm Vig, but the queue keep popping tanks who had no idea what they were doing, so I switch to Defense, in mm Dps gear. I held all the aggro and was doing 25k guardian slash AOE: Popping a DCD and leaping in and doing my AOE caused mobs to die quickly while i took little damage. OFC I swapped my focus offhand for a shield, when i got to the bosses. but i was doing more damage than the two DPS, and I managed my DCDs. Obviously, a newbie can't pull this off, but a relatively skilled tank can.

TL;DR Skanking is very viable for most content and is even better than being a full tank -- you might not like it but it doesn't change the fact that a SKank performs well.

BTW a shadow tank befits from the DPS set bonus as well.
Seeing as I run a skank in PvP I know full well what it's capable of. The point in question was the value of def/shield/absorb to vigi spec, not the other way around.

Also, while i have tanked HM karraga as a vigi guardian in vigi spec with dps gear it's only because I had 2 exceptional healers and the pug dps we had were pathetic.

For Pve all skanking does is put more pressure on the healers since mitigation stats are effective. If your healers can handle the increased damage taken, great do whatever you want. Now your average pug healer? Probably not pulling off the karraga stunt I mentioned.

OldMonkWF
03.22.2018 , 10:11 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Korrii View Post
Mastery: 8,000+
Power: 4500
Crit: 2050
Alacrity: 750
Accuracy: 0
HP: 133,500
Gear : full 248 (Warding, Lethal Mods, Adept/Quick Savant )
Augments: full 236
Sorry, but such stats is impossible with this gear (Adept/Quick Savant). With Adept/Quick Savant enchancements you get ~4k alacrity+crits. May be you have Efficient enchs and 228 Power augs?
And how, HOW you got 8k mastery??

Korrii
03.22.2018 , 10:30 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by OldMonkWF View Post
Sorry, but such stats is impossible with this gear (Adept/Quick Savant). With Adept/Quick Savant enchancements you get ~4k alacrity+crits. May be you have Efficient enchs and 228 Power augs?
And how, HOW you got 8k mastery??
You're wrong.

Left side (3x) + Main/Offhand (2x) + Armor (5x) is 10x 231 stats either in Crit Or Alac. That's 2310 points. I have no idea where you got "~4k alacrity+crits". Add in 82 Crit in crystals.

Then you have 14x Augments in 236 for +98 stats each.

756 Alacrity is 2x Enhancement and 3 augments
2028 Crit is 8x Enhancement (or left side), 2 crystals and 1 augment
Leaves 10 Augments in Mastery for an additional +980 Mastery (+240 Mastery from stim for +1220 Mastery total).

OldMonkWF
03.22.2018 , 03:32 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Korrii View Post
Leaves 10 Augments in Mastery
Ah, you mean versatile augs? Thanx, then understood.

TalonVII
03.22.2018 , 03:41 PM | #20
Thought this next patch the devs are going to absolutely curb stomp skank tanking?
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy