Developer Update: Class Changes and Balance in Game Update 1.4

CourtneyWoods

To make a change specific to PVP, that will affect PVE, without consideration of how it will effect PVE, is sad.

A game, that has so many borders, can't delineate a border between PVP and PVE?!?

We can't talk to reps side in tells, and we have seperate Fleets, we have seperate armor, for PVP and PVE, but you can't seperate skills in PVP and PVE?

I like to PVP, but i hate when one game type takes priority over another, in a game that has many playtypes.

1.4 just sounds bad. Fix and add stuff to current game, that are much more needed, rather than to break pve for the sake of pvp.

Btw, who the heck is this guy? His Release Notes, read like a conference call between two programmers, rather than an announcement to a general audience of gamers of widely varied technical knowledge of gamer geekspeak.

Add guild email. Add Guild Bind Points, Add Open World PvP with LFG. Add Multiplayer space combat with free movement. Add Crafting that is relevant at level 50(other than Biochem), Add more armor that is craftable(orange),

Add in game voice,ect ect ect

Stop tweaking little stuff, when you have so many BIG issues, to address.

Stop breaking stuff no one had a problem with.

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this doesn't really help scoundrel dps because now we can just run away after we do crappy damage.

what they should do i something like

1. increase armor penetration from flechette round like it used to be

2. make sucker punch cost no energy

3.lower the backblast cd like it used to be

4.increase the total chance for flying fists to return a proc like it used to be

and that guys who said healers were squishy its just because the whole other team is (should be) on you . i'll let you in on a secret though healers can HEAL themselves.

... You did not buff Infiltration Shadows in PvP with this patch, you know that right? You didn't even give us anything worthwhile to atone for taking 20 meters off our most useful PvP ability. Slowing a target that was hit with Spinning Kick is somewhat helpful for Voidstar and Huttball, but otherwise basically useless. Making Project no longer consume the two-stack proc from Clairvoyant Strike is not useful in any way - it only changes our progressions minutely, to be honest. The change to Infiltration Tactics is by far the most useful thing given to Infiltration Shadows, however it isn't ultimately a game-changer. Our DPS will still be dwarfed by Gunslingers, Sentinels, "Dirty Fighting" Scoundrels, and most notably, Vanguards. (cough... 1.4 million damage in a warzone is pathetically unbalanced, I don't care if the match lasts 15 minutes... cough).

So, with a lower cooldown on Force Speed and a buff to Shadow Strike (when triggered), you guys are justifying nerfing Force Wave and Force Stun HARD?

The worst part is that you REALLY DO think you're buffing Infiltration Shadows with this - and henceforth we'll never get the necessary damage buffs we need to be even remotely comparable to the above mentioned inherently FAR SUPERIOR dps classes. Our ship has sailed.

You hate Infiltration Shadows and Deception Assassins, don't you? Just come out and admit it so we can stop pushing ourselves so hard to barely reach mediocrity when compared with a Vanguard.

Having read the changes, I am borderline happy/indifferent to the changes for 1.4, except for the force stun range reduction.

I have a shadow tank, and the only skills that have 30m range are force pull and force stun. Both of these have relatively long cooldowns. For warzones that have objectives where opponents have to arm/disarm/slice, I use these two skills to interrupt caps from 30m. By reducing the range of force stun to 10m, I will only have one skill that has a 30m range, and with a long cooldown (45s as compared to a knight/warrior 15s 30m charge).

As such, relative to other classes, even knights/warriors, shadows will be the most affected by the range reduction of force stun. Our ability to interrupt caps will be next to non-existent.

I know that this post will probably be ignored by most players and all BW developers, but if by any chance someone from BW do read this, kindly consider how the range reduction will have a considerable effect on shadows/assassins.

My suggestion is to keep the range of force stun to 30m, but the stun being effective only at 10m. This will be in line with the intentions of the developers, as well as allowing shadows/assassins to better emergency cap interrupt.

theres this thing called force speed it increase your speed. use this ability to close the gap so you can use your 10 meter abilities and stop whining.

post 1.4: The only classes in pvp are marauders, sents, and powertechs. not even vanguards because powertechs have better heat management.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This.

I play mainly as a Jedi Sentinel, but my secendary is a Jedi Shadow. I myself am very fond of how Force Wave knocks back all enemys around me, it is a direct connection back to the original KotOR. (KotOR was my first experience with Star Wars games and what eventualy got me into SW:TOR to begin with, partly since Forcewave was intact.) I do not like this 120 cone idea at all myself, since I'm not big into PvP and prefer just good old fashion NPC party crashing while lone-wolfing.

Could it be possible someone there makes it so if you're on a PvE server, and you're only after NPCs, you keep the "Classic" Forcewave, but if you enter one of the designated arenas for PvP, or answer a duel, it switches you to this new, not very Star Wars version? Or to choose which one you prefer? I imagine this alone to be a possible dividing issue among players. This whole deal, in a way, reminds me of the time that Thalian Bog-Slime of a merchant, Eli, got my crew on Juma Juice and left them in the Shadowlands before selling my ship and telling me my crew left me... :w_mad:

The Assassin/Shadow Deception/Infiltration ACs are getting a boost. And yes, they weren't powerful enough.

Um... we got a minor damage boost to one ability when "Circling Shadows" triggers. That's it, man. Oh, Force Speed is now on a lower cooldown. Excuse me for not popping the champagne. Force Stun and Force Wave got nerfed, hard. As was mentioned in an earlier post, how exactly am I supposed to stop a capture attempt in Civil War now? Get there faster? Good advice.

Um... we got a minor damage boost to one ability when "Circling Shadows" triggers. That's it, man. Oh, Force Speed is now on a lower cooldown. Excuse me for not popping the champagne. Force Stun and Force Wave got nerfed, hard. As was mentioned in an earlier post, how exactly am I supposed to stop a capture attempt in Civil War now? Get there faster? Good advice.

didnt your incombat stealth abilty's cooldown get reduced by a minute?

allowing you to open from stealth more often?

Well, Bioware, it seems like you wanted feedback posting your intent with the new changes and you got it in spades. 59 pages in just under a week. I really hope you've learned something from this endeavor. It really looks like you all are out of touch about just what is really broken with this game that needs needs an overhaul. The vast majority on this thread are complaining, and we are for the most part saying the same thing(s). Before 1.4 hits the PTS, I suggest you all go back to the drawing board and rethink what your vision is for this game. Time to put ego aside and do what's best for the game.

Well, Bioware, it seems like you wanted feedback posting your intent with the new changes and you got it in spades. 59 pages in just under a week. I really hope you've learned something from this endeavor. It really looks like you all are out of touch about just what is really broken with this game that needs needs an overhaul. The vast majority on this thread are complaining, and we are for the most part saying the same thing(s). Before 1.4 hits the PTS, I suggest you all go back to the drawing board and rethink what your vision is for this game. Time to put ego aside and do what's best for the game.

too late alrdy unsubbed due to these horrible changes and yet no fix to resolve system but instead they made it more horrible than it alrdy is

Im not gonna waste my money giving these guys 15$ a month anymore, hope they lose their jobs since they dont have a clue of waht they are doing

I EXPECTED A BUFF TO SORCERERS, SCOUNDREL DPS, SHADOWS, MERCS, TO MATCH UP TO Powertechs, sentinels, and snipers

BUT THIS DEV TEAM DOESNT GET IT!!!!:eek::confused::mad:

good thing my sub ends on the 18th :D

have fun when this game goes F2P, ur looking to broaden ur audience with millions of F2P players eh? well ur gonna do a better job of giving those millions of F2P players to bad mouth this game even more once they find out what kind of trashy system ur PVP game is

^ This ^: 100% agreed.

It's directly related to concerns we see regarding overpowered melee and them being inescapable.

How about nerfing those overpowered?

It's true, I'm a wrecking machine with my marauder and I don't like it.

I mean seriously, why are you looking at the problem from the wrong point of view? Who are these guys and why are they ruining our game?

Edited by GizmoBill

Stun Wars - The Slow Republic becomes even more true!

This game needs MOAR STUNS DEFINATELY... since there are still people loggin' /facepalm

The game does not needmore stuns. What it needs is for the imperial players resolve to work and for the Juggs defenses to work. Us juggs sit around stunned during pvp more than we fight. As soon as you get out of stun your stunned. If you ever get out of the second stun your stunned again . No resolve no nothing. Resolve barely moves and it doesnt work.

How about nerfing those overpowered?

It's true, I'm a wrecking machine with my marauder and I don't like it.

I mean seriously, why are you looking at the problem from the wrong point of view? Who are these guys and why are they ruining our game?

Finally someone with enough sense of justice to shout "truth" from the other side of the stand! You have my respect m8

M8... This makes so much sense!

OK.

I played GW2, sure there is no grind, in that game.

and I thought: No Grind = Fun............ and 1 thing, I was WRONG!!!!

*Facepalm

Ye, I was wrong, GW2 is boring, when comparing to SWTOR.

The gameplay sucks, the PVE is no existent, everything is about PVP.

But the PvP in GW2 sucks, 1 thing that is fun is only WvW.

and I don't say that, cause I'm PvE'er, NO.

Im total PVP, and I owned like 1 vs 3 in that game with Mesmer, I even got the Videos.

But the gameplay is boring, even more boring than when you hit 50 in SWTOR, with your 3rd character.

You can play GW2, for 3 days, and you don't have anything to comeback to.....cause everything is given at the start.

If someone is a PVE'er, then you won't be able to play GW2, no content.

If someone is a PVP'er then, you have the same gear as everyone else, and in that game there is no balance at all.

Range are OP, in their range class, but when you get hit by melee, 2 hits you die.

You have around 20k health, 10k per hit, or more, by a Warrior.

But you always have to be in melee range, if you want to capture the base.

I owned ppl with mesmer, cause mesmer make clones of himself and they were just confused which one to hit.

But I will rather stick to SWTOR.

Seeing as the stealth class gonna get, back up, I want to try it out.

Edited by ProKsnNwk

Allison, thanks for this post. I know you're just the messenger and my comments are directed respectfully at others.

Dear devs.. this sums up the problem. Let me say this as clearly as possible.

THERE ARE TOO MANY CCs IN THE GAME.

THIS MAKES PVP AWFUL.

NO ONE ENJOYS LONG PERIODS WHERE YOU CAN'T CONTROL YOUR CHARACTER.

If you don't get this, if you can't understand this on a fundamental level you not only fail at game design but you fail to understand people (not just gamers) and what makes for a good time.

Lets make it simple: 500 points of Resolve per second of ANY control that decays at a rate of 100 points a second and during decay you are TOTALLY IMMUNE to further CCs.

I'm totally agree. The jedi guardian defense doesn't work right and after all this cc's I always die. I'm wear a heavy armor but it protects like a light.

DAoC had a simplier and good "resolve" system: However long you were CC'd for, you got 5x that amount of immunity from the same type of CC, up to one minute. Of course, CCs lasted a lot longer in that game, but if you purged it or someone broke it, you still got that immunity.

Still hate the Force Wave/Overload nerf, although at least the 30 sec free heal will be nice after casting Noble Sacrifice.

Also still looking forward to you either totally ignoring or nerfing Guardian/Juggernaut tanks again.