Event Suggestion: Do you remember the KOTOR Dueling Ring of Taris?

Saito_Hiraga

If you played KOTOR you must know exactly what Im talking about :)

If you didn't, well I'll explain it here...

http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090722012759/starwars/images/5/52/Taris15.JPG

The Dueling Ring was part of a quest on Taris where you become Ajuur the Hutt's new fighter under the name of "The Mysterious Stranger" and you had to defeat all the ring fighters in one on one combat to get some credit rewards.

What Im suggesting is that we get a similar kind of dueling ring (maybe on Nar Shadda) as a week event like the Bounty Brooker's event, where people can sign for tournaments that works like a warzone arena but where only the winner gets rewarded with a big amount of credits and comms.

How would it work?:

Place an NPC where the arena should be at (It could even be Jiradda the Hutt or also Baron Deathmark who are already famous on ToR for this kind of games.) when you talk to him he gives you the option to sign for the tournament or leave. When you sign for it you automatically get into a queue (if you leave the queue you of course get removed from the list) and when the tournament list gets full (8 people signs for it) every participant gets a WZ pop and gets into a WZ where everyone starts on an individual forcefield cell placed at the border of a circular arena in a way everyone is facing another player. While everyone gets inside the wz, let the announcer says his words to the spectators and stuff, when the timer for the warzone to start ends. a pair of players facing each other selected at random gets free from their cells and must fight each other to the death. when the combat ends the winner is returned to its cell and let the player who lost to decide to evacuate the warzone or stay to spectate the rest of the fights, (that player is already removed from the tournament list so he's not fighting again), and repeat the process until every pair of players on the warzone have taken their turns. (only 4 players will remain) Let the announcer take a short speech about the remaining combatants and then release two players at random who must fight again (that will leave 3 players left). after that fight, the other two players get released to fight. (leaving only the two finalists) Let the announcer take a little speech again about the final battle and release the remaining players to fight each other (an epic song for when the battle begins would be sweet) when the combat ends the winner gets priced with a big amount of credits and WZ comms and gets locked from participating for today (If you lose. You get nothing but your are still able to sign for the next tournament).

This Dueling Ring event could also have its own Reputation tab, in that case players who lost in the elimination round get the small rep. items, players who lost at the semifinal and final rounds get the medium rep. items and the winner of the tournament gets the large rep. item.

As for the reputation vendors we could get some of the classic outfits used by the ring fighters on KOTOR: Dead Eye Duncan, Twitch and the Mandalorian armor of Bendak Starkiller for Legend rank.

• 5 weeks later...

Sounds... awesome... if you enjoy pvp? Did you have any thoughts for a more accessible pve component to this or would this be an event where everyone that isn't a hardcore pvp player just sits it out and continues doing whatever they would have been doing anyway?

Something somewhere in between this idea and the bounty event could be interesting though. Sign up for it and it puts you in a queue, get on a team (bolstered but not role neutral) and enter the arena to face off against a team made up of one random enemy of comparable strength to a kingpin and three random enemies of comparable strength to the henchmen.

Or maybe there's room for both. You select which one you'll queue for in the conversation when you register for a match but the warzone and flashpoint will count towards the same event daily. Maybe even make the daily require 2 or 3 victories so there's room for players to decide whether they want to do it all one way, all the other way, or with a mix of both types of matches.

Anyway...

Do you remember the KOTOR Dueling Ring of Taris?

Something else to point out to me that I apparently forgot 99% of what happened in those games after I completed them.

Edited by Muljo_Stpho

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I dont, I totally loved those games... :C

I didn't dislike them. All details about anything that happened in them just seems to have completely slipped my mind. I liked them as I played through them but I guess nothing about them stuck out as being all that memorable.

I have started replaying the first game a bit since I last posted in this topic though, so I have seen the dueling ring again.... They actually kind of missed a chance to replicate it with the finale of Dromund Kaas for the Bounty Hunter class. They probably could have framed that as a number of duels instead of a free for all.

Anyway, so this idea is still strictly PVP only then? You wouldn't want even a hint of a PVE side to an event like this? I realize that my suggestion lost the "duel" part of it but there's got to be something to make this an idea that everybody could find interesting instead of only being interesting to a certain section of the fanbase.

Edited by Muljo_Stpho

Anyway, so this idea is still strictly PVP only then? You wouldn't want even a hint of a PVE side to an event like this? I realize that my suggestion lost the "duel" part of it but there's got to be something to make this an idea that everybody could find interesting instead of only being interesting to a certain section of the fanbase.
Except you make the assumption that PvE is "an idea that everybody could find interesting."

I know many who only PvP or those who detested the Rakghoul epidemic event being "forced on them" with people running around the fleet infecting everyone, so not everyone is interested in the same things or the existing event fare.

I myself both PvP and PvE so would find another event of either sort very cool and think we we sorely need more events... but to point out what should be obvious and plead the Devil's advocate here-- all the recurring events we do have are PvE ones already. :eek:

Edited by CrispyWalrus

Alright, to be fair the bounty and rakghoul events don't exactly have a PVP element built in and rewarded (as actual missions, not just some achievements) the way the Gree event does... (Although the shared confined spaces in the tunnels certainly allowed the PVP folks to run wild for a bit, including the ones that use that exploit to try to pull unwilling PVE players into the fray. And the bounty event probably sees more mishaps from low level players getting caught up in a 55's shady character fight rather than seeing any sort of PVP action.)

Eh, still I think that the better answer would be to create a little something for both sides instead of creating something one-sided. (If they could add a PVP zone to the Rakghoul event with a couple PVP exclusive missions for you guys, that would be nice too. They could also consider adding a bounty event mission that directs all players into the PVP zone on Tatooine (although they'd need to add bolster to it first) to try to get player kills.) Events should give everybody a chance to do something different from their usual routine. (edit: To be clear, that's what I meant by making it something that everybody can find interesting. It wouldn't be interesting only because of the addition of a PVE element. PVP players would want to check out the PVP, and PVE players would want to check out the PVE. Players could choose to do one or the other or both as they see fit.)

The infection of fleet aspect of the Rakghoul event certainly does rile people up and could probably use some sort of rework. It's a goofy (and gross) hidden daily that's essentially harmless to those who were just going to be standing around fleet doing nothing else anyway but I know a lot of people wished it could be disabled in warzones or that they could at least let the vaccine persist through defeat. (Huh... I don't recall anyone ever mentioning flashpoints or ops in that complaint but it certainly wouldn't be doing you or your team any favors to enter that content infected either.) I imagine it must be really frustrating for the RP crowd. For all the talk about containing the infection and eradicating it on sight, fleet security is insanely passive about the whole thing.

Edited by Muljo_Stpho

Best thing I can think of if they want to add some incentive to PvP for rakghoul missions is another mission along the lines of:

"Drastic Measures: Kill 10 infected players. Reward, 1 DNA Canister, 1 green rep item"

Also make the heroic zone a FFA PvP Zone... mwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Edited by TACeMossie

I agree with what others said that there should be a PVE element as well. This would be a good concept around which EA/BW could implement a SWTOR version of the Brawler's Guild from WoW, which could be a lot of fun for players with a preference for solo gameplay.

Given the lack of PVP quests in the Bounty Contract or Rak'ghoul Events, I do think an Event with a strong PVP element would be a welcome addition though.

• 1 year later...

This topic again, eh. And we now know that they are adding an arena, but it is very much not a PVP thing. Sorry.

http://dulfy.net/2015/12/01/swtor-december-producers-livestream-coverage/

Recruit the Wookie Gladiator, Bowdaar via fight for the Eternal Champion in the lower levels of Zakuul. Defeat enough enemies to earn influence with Bowdaar. It is a solo event where you take on as many mobs as you can.

Technically you can already see the arena in-game. Look through the floor in the Zakuul cantina. There's an elevator down to it in the room on the side (with a bunch of fighters gathered around in that room) but we just can't actually go through the instance door until it becomes available with chapter 10.

From what they've said about it we know it to essentially be a survival mode of some sort. Probably lasting through a set number of waves of NPC spawns.

I hope there can be something more to it, something to let it stand alone as its own major side game instead of only being blown through once for a companion recruitment and never touching it again. We'll see what happens when it becomes available.

Edited by Muljo_Stpho

i seem to suggested this same thing not long after you

so let me just repeat what i said there:

emerging from the shadows with no history,no name,no past...i give you,the mysterious stranger!"

i just woke up early and went to kotor 1 ,i replayed the taris arena scenes after a long time of not playing kotor 1 and it just gave me an idea : we NEED a dueling arena.

now yes,we can duel each other (Even though i am primarly a roleplayer...roleplayer does sometimes involve fighting =P) ,but it would be cooler if we could do a 1 on 1 duel inside an ACTUAL arena...and use a system to bet money .

maybe they could just add the one on one duels into a new pvp warzone match (round arena,1 on 1 duel)

Because truth

Why can't there be two arenas. One, is for pvp a tournament style, probably. The same could be said for pve, just with npcs, or an even better idea for the pve side. Would be to have one fighter, you, taking on waves of waves of imperials, or rakgauls, or whatever the planet is, without a break in between, of course, until you die.

Edited by TyonYlle

Because truth

Why can't there be two arenas. One, is for pvp a tournament style, probably. The same could be said for pve, just with npcs, or an even better idea for the pve side. Would be to have one fighter, you, taking on waves of waves of imperials, or rakgauls, or whatever the planet is, without a break in between, of course, until you die.

That sounds good, and stands a good chance of satisfying both groups.

Problem is, primarily...

1) Two different Taris'

2) Story-Wise...

Taris Project Failed

I love the ring, and it can exist theoretically Republic Side, since we time travel to a time before #2. But Imperial side it makes little/no sense on Taris... But, alas, I would definitely like to see something similar somewhere in game. The next problem is players are so unfairly balanced unless they are all max level in max pvp gear. Even then, there's differences. :eek:

nobody said it has to be taris...we are simply discussing an arena where two people could duel and bet,Taris's arena was just the thing that gave us inspiration for the suggestion =P

we are just asking for arenas (besides the "defeat npc waves" arena that will be in kotfe) ,imagine the possibilities...maybe a swamp arena on hutta,a big arena full of lights in nar shadda,a sand filled round arena on tatooine...

it would be epic...and a 1 on 1 duel is the most challenging as you cannot focus on your allies doing all the work =P

OR if they make a one on one arena on a few planets...then i gues it would be a cool thing to do,if you want to roleplay a gladiator type character =P

Edited by Gguyrules